Together We Fall

By ElleBlane

Emma's life takes an exciting turn when she moves back to her hometown. Certain circumstances cause her to ru... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77

Chapter 67

17.8K 560 348
By ElleBlane

Chapter Sixty Seven

"That's not what I'm saying."

"Then explain it to me," Adalyn challenges, daring her boyfriend to continue.

He sighs, "I just think that asking me what color you should get your nails is pointless. You're still going to get the one you want despite what I say."

The rest of us sit around the table, laughing to only ourselves as they have this amusing argument.

"Oh, don't start with me." she shakes her head, "You'll say 'huh' at everything but hear and know what kind of car went "vroom" ten miles away."

I choke on my drink.

"You owe me your opinions even if I don't use them." she says, leaving no room for argument.

Lucas smiles at the boys, then down to his girlfriend, "I think you should get blue. It'll bring out your eyes."

Her eyes are brown. He knows that. He's being a smartass.

She smiles, nodding, "Actually though I think I'm going to get a pastel pink. It'll match the cap and gown better."

We've been at a pizza parlor for the past hour just talking. Everyone in our group is here except Trace... and Cameron but that's for the best.

I miss Trace but I've never had the chance to talk to him.

It's been almost two weeks since I saw him last and I'd give anything to just see him smiling back at me right now. He's never at his apartment, never attends school anymore. It's like he just left. But somehow I know it's not permanent. He'll come back. He always does.

"This is our last meal together as seniors." Josephine states with a sad smile.

Tomorrow, we graduate. Everything we've worked so hard all our life for falls into play tomorrow.

My dad got in from California last night to see me graduate. Laila is finishing online classes from her old school so she'll be mailed a diploma.

"So much has happened this past year." Erica says, everyone agrees.

"Just promise me we'll all stay in touch even after we graduate. I know we won't see each other every day anymore, but I still want you all in my life." Josephine smiles sweetly.

The reality of it is that after high school, people move away. Nobody has the same dreams and you can't let your friends hold you back from them. We'll all split ways eventually, but keeping in contact will have to be a priority.

"Definitely."

"For sure, I can't lose you guys." Mason wraps his arms around Ethan and Josephine.

Tomorrow, we graduate. Tomorrow, things will change. Nothing is constant but sometimes change can be good. I'm definitely going to miss the memories I've made with this amazing group of people... and Trace. The boy who stole my heart and left without returning it.

It's still his and I don't want it back. If he won't take me back then I'll have to find a way to move on, as hard as that'll be I'll have to do it. But I'm not going to stop trying to have him until I believe he no longer wants me.

"Will Trace be able to walk tomorrow?" Adalyn asks Lucas quietly. But my ears perked up at that name so I know exactly what was said.

I don't waste a second in trying to get my answer, "Why would he not?"

Both of them turn to face me like deer caught in the headlights.

Lucas looks down awkwardly, runs a hand over his face in frustration.

"Lucas," I say slowly, "what happened to Trace?"

If something happened to him then why don't I know about it? Trace and I tell each other everything... or at least we used to. If he did something bad enough to not walk at graduation then I should know.

But what could he have done? He's a good person and would never hurt anyone. Maybe it's just something dumb like he's gotten too many tardies.

Lucas shakes his head, giving me an apologetic smile, "I'm sorry, but I can't tell you."

He can't be serious. It's Trace! If something is wrong with him then I want to know.

"He promised Trace he wouldn't tell you." Adalyn speaks for her boyfriend. She grins at me, "But I didn't. He got busted with the heavy stuff so he's on probation."

"But Trace doesn't do drugs."

I remember when he took me to California to see my dad. He told me in the hotel one night while we were playing the game of LIFE that he'd never do drugs. That feels like so long ago.

She nods, "They weren't his. Beatrice planted some in your locker by order of Cameron. Trace got them out before the dogs found them."

He did what! So all this school that he's been missing is because he can't come to school. He's not allowed. It all makes sense now.

I just thought he was avoiding me and that hurt a lot that he wouldn't even give us a chance to make up. But now I know it wasn't about avoiding me, it was about protecting me.

That seems to be all he ever does is protect me. Even when I don't deserve it he's still there for me.

"Why am I just now hearing about this?"

Lucas sighs, "He didn't want you to know." He glares at Adalyn, she shrugs and continues picking at her nails.

But me knowing that is a good thing, right? Now I know that he still cares and that there's something left to fight for. I'd fight for him regardless but now I have hope that it won't be a losing battle.

I know what I mean to him and these last few weeks have helped me know how much Trace means to me. But I hurt him. I hurt the both of us because I wasn't able to keep my past scars out of my relationship with him. He'd help me heal from them as much as I needed but I never asked for help. I jumped on his back and began accusing, he had all the right to walk out that night and the next day at lunch.

I regret that with all I have but now that I'm certain Trace still cares, I feel better about trying to get him back.

"Why couldn't I know?" I inquire.

Trace is on probation because he was caught taking drugs from my locker and I didn't even know about it.

All that I do is cause him trouble.

"Because he didn't want you to feel bad even though he knows it wasn't your fault, he knows you'll blame yourself."

Of course he does. Trace seems to know everything about me. Even some things that I don't know, for example, my lying tell. It irritates the shit out of me how he always knows when I'm lying.

I never try telling him serious lies, but there are sometimes when it's just a little white lie to spare his feelings. He wanted to get a monstrous haircut a few months ago, he loved it but I hated it. He asked me what I thought and I told him it looked good, just because I knew how bad he wanted it. He called me out on lying and made me tell him what I really thought.

Then he picked a different haircut.

"Where is he now?"

He shakes his head, "I don't know honestly, he won't tell us. Says he wants to be alone for a little while to figure things out."

Well if I can't go talk to Trace then I know how to make good use of my time instead.

I check the time to see it's only four thirty two. The principal stays after until five o'clock today to set up for graduation. If I leave now I can make it.

"I've got to go. Erica if you can buy my milkshake I'll pay you back tomorrow?"

"Don't worry about it. Consider this my graduation present."

I throw her a smile and 'thanks' before sliding out of the booth.

When I get to the school, Dr. Johnson is setting out chairs around the football field. In front of him stands a huge stage that we'll be walking across tomorrow. If my plan works then Trace will be with us.

"Emma, hey." he greets me with a warm smile.

"I've got to talk to you about something."

He nods, "Sure, could you grab those chairs?"

I take a few chairs from the rack and we head across the field to place them with the others.

"You know the drugs that were found on Trace Henderson?"

His walking slows for a moment as if that question took him by surprise. He recovers quickly and is soon at my side once more.

"Yea, I couldn't believe it. He never seemed like the dumb type." chuckles, "I mean, what idiot brings them to school?"

Ah, Dr. Johnson: great principal, cool buddy to have. One thing I can say about him is that he makes an effort to learn all of his students names. I respect him for that, he tries to know everyone by name and not face.

I laugh, "Yeah, but that's actually why I'm here. Dr. Johnson, they weren't his."

We set the chairs down and he turns to me, confusion evident.

"He got them from my locker, but they were planted there."

He looks down at his shoes for a moment, pondering over something.

I really hope he believes me. If this doesn't work then I don't know what my plan B will be. I'll have to find something though.

"Well, I guess we could check the cameras tomorrow and find out who really put them there." he offers.

That offer sounds terrific... except for one thing.

"Tomorrow? We have to do it tonight, graduation is tomorrow."

Dr. Johnson opens his mouth like he's about to object. Then he closes it, looks at his watch, sighs.

He must be able to see the desperation on my face.

"Alright kid, let's go."

Authors Note:
Hello everyone! Thanks for reading! Have a great day and stay safe!

So uhh, Emma's got a plan to come through for Trace. Do you think it'll work?

And overnight we reached 9K reads!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19K 1.6K 40
**A Romance, Teen Fiction, and YA Featured Novel** Worlds collide when a formerly overweight teen befriends a blinded football player and is forced t...
316K 11K 55
PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 02, 2021 ❝ Your life is your own. Don't waste it trying to be what others expect you to be. Don't sacrifice your happiness to make...
19.4M 545K 55
"You just have no idea." His voice was thick with restraint. "W-what," I breathed. His gaze flicked to my lips as his thumb stroked again. The call...
233K 4.8K 36
Jolie Watson was used to being invisible at her huge high school in New York City, but when her parents split up and her Mom moved them back to her t...