Just A Shadow (RWBY male read...

By MichaelStotts2

well fuck here we are, first attempt at writing in fuck knows how long. ehm this story is gonna be a bit...di... More

Chapter 1: The Dark
Chapter 2: Unexpected
Chapter 3: Here to Stay
Chapter 4: A Dance in the Dustshop
Chapter 5: The Wizard of Oz
Chapter 6: Meeting The Family
Chapter 7: Beacon Academy
Chapter 8: Beacon Academy pt 2
chapter 9: Initiation
Chapter 10: The Emerald Forest
Chapter 11: A Challenger Approaches
Chapter 12: Ugly Scars
Chapter 13: Can Still Heal
Chapter 14: Musical Morning
wtf?
Chapter 15: We Are Atlas Now
News on Chapter 16
Halftime
Chapter 16: Get Up
sorry
Chapter 17: Grace in the Grey
Chapter 18: Its Okay to be Afraid
hello again!
The Break: Goodbye, To A World
V2 Ch1: Round Two
back on track!
V2: Ch3: In The Rear With The Gear
Important! Please vote!
V2 Ch4: Talk the Talk, Walk the Walk
Y/n's shadows/Umbrakinesis
V2 Ch5: The Rain
teeny tiny vote
little piece o news
V2 Ch6: Burden of the Blade
(small) V2 Ch7: Pre-Party
(small) V2 Ch8: Tapping the Brakes
V2 Ch8: "Dance Dance...Somethin"
V2 Ch9: Mission Morning
very important schedule update.
V2 Ch10: "Reconnaissance"
V2 Finale: "Enemy At The Gates"
The Interim
quick question!
V3 Ch1: Fever Dream
V3 Ch2: Ashes and Blood
Lets Do This
V3 Ch3: Omens
V3 Finale: Vanished
heheh
Guess whos fucking back
is anyone still there..?
VOLUME 4 CH 1: Deathless
V4 Ch2: A Colder Place
V4 Ch3: Buried In The Ashes

V2 Ch2: Introductions

2.9K 58 77
By MichaelStotts2

(Fuckin hell mates...I'm really trying but this is only getting harder. Not writing, EVERYTHING. I'm trying to do this at least but I cant even sleep. More so than usual. I'll try, but that's all I can promise to do. Fuckin...I'm running out of energy to try with though.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On The Way To Team RWBY Dorm, After Sundown

Y/n Pov

Our trek through the dorm buildings halls was moving pretty fast as Ruby and I were dragging the other two back to the dorm. The Kindred weren't far behind, deciding to hold up the rear for now. Yang was the first to comment on our hasty retreat to the dorm.

Yang: "What's with the rush all of a sudden?" She asked annoyed.

Apparently while Ruby and I were talking with the Kindred, Jaune had totally destroyed her at the board game.

Y/n: "Theres something the rest of you need to see. That and we should really see what's up with Blake."

We ended up in front of our dorm a d Ruby went to open the door with her scroll, letting us in. Yang trudged in with Weiss and Ruby following her, while I hung back for a second to make sure our extras made it in. Yang grumbled.

Yang: "Still dont need such a rush..."

Ruby playfully brushed off her sisters grumpiness.

Ruby: "Oh, your just mad the new guy beat you."

Yang was about to retort, but was cut off as I stepped in the way of Blake, who was trying to sneak out of the room before we noticed her. Surprisingly Weiss called her out before I did.

Weiss: "Stop." She said as she pointed directly at Blake, who was facing me and giving me a look that would kill if possible for halting her retreat.

Weiss continued.

"Lately, you've been quiet, antisocial and moody."

Yang: "Uhhh, have you met Blake?"

Weiss: "Which I get is kind of your thing. But you've been doing it more than usual, which quite frankly is unacceptable! You made a promise to me, to all of us, that if something was wrong, you would tell us."

Then, through an incredible display of on the spot acrobatics that I did not know Weiss was capable of, she flipped through the air and landed balancing on a chair on it's two back legs, pointing dramatically at a shocked Blake. The Kindred watched all of this with strange interest from the corner of the room.

Weiss: "So, Blake Belladonna, what is wrong?!"

Silence hung for a moment as Weiss continued her balancing act with a shocked team watching, before she got down and quickly slid the chair back in place at a desk and dashing back next to Ruby and Yang. Blake slowly responds.

Blake: "I just, dont see how everyone can be so calm."

I decided to take a crack shot at what was bugging Blake while I leaned against the door.

Y/n: "Ok. Shot in the dark. This is about Torchwick and the White Fang, isnt it?"

Blake pretty much exploded. Her pent up frustration about the subject was finally being let out.

Blake: "Torchwick, the White Fang, all of it! Something big is going on and nobody is doing anything!"

Yang: "Ozpin told us not to worry. Between the police and the huntsman, I'm sure they can handle it."

Blake: "Well I'm not! They dont know the White Fang like I do!"

Weiss stepped forward to make sense of the situation.

Weiss: "Okay. Between blowing up nightclubs, stopping thieves and fighting for freedom in sure the four of you think that your all ready to go out and stop ne'er-do-wells!"

Ruby: "Uh, who?"

Y/n: "Badguys rosebud."

Ruby: "Oh."

Weiss continued her tirade despite Ruby's slight distraction.

Weiss: "But let me once again be the voice of reason. We're students! We're not ready for this sort of thing!

Ruby: "Well yeah, but..."

Weiss: "Were not ready!"

Blake stepped up once again to retort.

Blake: "And we may never be ready! Pur enemies arent just gonna sit around and wait for graduation day!"

She points towards the door, unknowingly putting her finger right in the face of Wolf, who had wandered closer in curiosity and interest. Lamb was sitting on the bookshelf between the beds.

Blake: "They're out there, somewhere, planning their next move, and none of us know what it is, but its coming! Whether we're ready or not!"

Ruby seems to get the idea and steps forward to defuse the situation in a very...Ruby way.

Ruby: "Okay! All in favor of becoming the youngest hunter and huntresses to single-handedly take down a corrupt organization conspiring against the kingdom of Vale...! Say aye."

Yang enthusiastically pumps her fist in the air.

Yang: "Yes! I love it when your feisty!"

Weiss crosses her arms indifferently but agrees anyway.

Weiss: "Well I suppose it could be fun"

Before Ruby had a chance to get all huffy about it I pitched in.

Y/n: "Aye-aye captain.

Blake seemed to get some enthusiasm as well.

Blake: "Alright, we're in this together!"

Ruby gesture excitedly.

Ruby: "Let's hatch a plan!"

Yang: "Yeah!"

Oh now would be an amazing time.

Y/n: "Well before we do that, theres something else we need to get out of the way."

Ruby mouthed put an 'Oh, right' while the other three deadpanned at me from the sudden interruption, which only made it ten times more worth it. Ruby zoomed over to my side by the door while Wolf floated back over to Lamb at the window and hovered beside her, seeming to get where this was going. Ruby decided to lead the charge.

Ruby: "We, have some unexpected guests! And despite who they are, they are not here to kill us!"

Yang, Blake and Weiss stared with mostly just confusion, trying to figure out what the hell we were talking about. I shifted my gaze past them slightly to look back at The Kindred, and Lamb gave a nod. I felt the air in the room swirl around invisibly for a moment. This others did too and looked puzzled.

Y/n: "If you would like to know what the fuck is going on, take a look behind you. Oh, and dont panic. Like rosebud said, they are not here to kill us."

Blake: "The fact that you have to specify that does not make me feel at ease."

Yang: "Ditto."

Ruby flailed her arms up and down at her teammates uncooperativeness.

Ruby: "Oh, just turn around already!"

With a somehow collective eyeroll, all three of them finally turned around to see The Kindred sitting there calmly. Lamb sitting on the bookshelf in front of the window and Wolf looming over her shoulder, both calm as ever. Weiss and Blake had absolutely no idea what they were looking at while Yang was super thrown off and looked back and forth between us and The Kindred.

Yang: "Wha-I-huh?! Arent they-?!"

I cut her off deciding to just introduce the two.

Y/n: "Yes Yang, they are The Kindred, the same one that was on Patch. Weiss, Blake, meet the Lamb and the Wolf. Together they are The Kindred, and the incarnation of death."

They both spoke at the same time.

The Kindred: "Hello."

Weiss and Blake did not visibly react for a moment before Blake just sighed and shook her head.

Blaks: "I hate that this doesnt surprise me at all."

Weiss: "I feel the same. What exactly are they doing here?"

Before I could awnser, Lamb decided to actually join the conversation.

Lamb: "We have merely taken an interest in these two. We wish to stick around for a short while, and see what else this world has to offer."

Yang spoke up nervously.

Yang: "And your not gonna try and like...reap us or anything?"

Wolf: "We will bring no harm to you. If you wish, you may act as if we are not here. Nothing will change about your lives."

Lamb: "It is not time for any of you to meet us in death."

Weiss: "B-but...eventually it will be..?"

Lamb: "All things, must meet us, young one."

To make a very long story short, most of that night was spent with the team asking Lamb and Wolf heaps of questions. We did eventually start cracking up a plan to get at Torchwick and the White Fang. And it seems like the girls are cooking up some fresh outfits for the little outing. I'll have to give it some thought too.

Ugh, enough of that though. Today was kind of a roller coaster and all of us are tired. It's about time we head to sleep. Everybody was pretty much settled in, save for The Kindred. Lamb was sitting cross-legged on the floor with Wolf once again in her lap dozing as she stargazed out the window.

3rd Person Pov

Seeing as Ruby had already fallen asleep, Y/n snuck down from their shared bed and sat himself down next to the Lamb. She didnt acknowledge his prescence, but was aware of him. After a few silent moments, the boy spoke. He was quiet and low, as to not wake the slumbering residents of the dorm.

Y/n: "I never manage to get enough of this view. I dont think theres a better night sky in any world. It definitely beats the earth."

Lamb was taken aback slightly by his words. On Runeterra, she always found herself stargazing as well, and while it's a beautiful, magical and wild world, even she had to admit that the stars on remnant seemed to shine just that much brighter.

Lamb: "It is the most beautiful one I've seen. This rest has been...refreshing...to say the least. For us both."

She absentmindedly stroked the fur of the now slumbering Wolf in her lap. She couldnt remember the last time she had slept... Her train of thought however changed directions when Y/n spoke again, with slight hesitation.

Y/n: "I-If I may ask...what happened on earth? After I died that is..."

Lamb took a glance at him to see his troubled face before she looked back out the window.

Lamb: "You did have a funeral. Your father and the others. Yours was special however."

Y/n looked to her with a perplexed expression stuck to his face. Special?

Y/n: "What do you mean?"

Lamb: "Because of your sacrifice in that stadium, many lives were spared. And because you stopped those men, police where able to identify their group and dig them out. In the end, an entire crime syndicate responsible for helping to coordinate many terror attacks across the world, including 9/11, was brought to justice. All because of your sacrifice."

Y/n was practically blown away at all that had happened after he died. He never expected all of this to come about, he never planned any of this! He was happy his death meant something, but was still fairly awestruck all of this.

Lamb: "That stadium will never be played in again however."

This struck him as odd for certain. He couldnt help but give Lamb a confused look as he questioned her.

Y/n: "What? Why?"

She didnt respond for a moment as she kept her eyes on the stars. After a short silence though, she faced him and spoke.

Lamb: "The organization responsible for the attack was very, very old. It had roots going as far back as to just before the second world war. Their downfall brought justice to millions of deaths. Once all was said and done, the entire stadium was converted into a single, giant memorial. In the center of the field, a grave was placed, with a statue as the headstone."

She stared at him for a short moment, examining his thoughtful expression before she finished.

"The grave and statue are yours. The worlds way of honoring your sacrifice, and your memory. You are a hero on earth. Theres hardly anybody in a first or second world country who doesnt know your old name."

Y/n: "I-I...uhm...shit..."

He was having a hard time processing this information. He knew that there would be an investigation of some sorts, but he never expected to become some hero. Lamb however, didnt leave him to his devices for too long, as she had a question of her own.

Lamb: "Why did you abandon your old name? What drove you to become Y/n instead of M-"

Y/n: "Dont! Please...dont say that name..."

His quiet outburst grabbed her attention as she looked at him again, and tilted her head to show her curiosity. Y/n sighed heavily, and explained himself.

"It just...didnt feel right. For most of my life I was fine with that name, but the moment I was told we were going to that game it just felt...wrong. Everytime someone called me by my old name it felt like...like it wasnt really mine. Like it belonged to someone else...someone less fortunate than me..."

His brow scrunched in thought for a moment before he attempted to shake his head clear and rubbed his temple with one hand.

"Agh...thinking about it gives me a headache but...when I introduced myself to Ruby, this name just sorta...came to me. It just felt right. I like this one better anyways. But it still makes me think. If that isnt really my name, then who's is it? And what happened? I feel like I know them and dont at the same time. *sigh* I dont know maybe I'm just crazy...heh, wouldn't really surprise me..."

An almost eerie silence settled between the two. For minutes they sat there, Y/n trying his best to clear his head, while Lamb simply gazed out the window again, seemingly in thought. Y/n absentmindedly let his gaze go up to the makeshift tent that covered his and Ruby's bed.

He found that just the thought of her, was enough to clear his mind of his worries. After a minute or two, he let out a quiet but large yawn as fatigue crashed into him like a wave. He stood up from his spot on the floor.

Y/n: "Well...goodnight Lamb. I hope thos break continues to work out for you."

Her reply was simple, but her tone alone seemed to wish him luck.

Lamb: "Goodnight, Y/n."

Y/n climbed back into bed, while Lamb remained in her position. After a while, she felt her own eternity of fatigue hit her. In a trail of dim but beautiful real light, she was repositioned leaning her back against the bookshelf, Wolf still asleep in her lap, who didnt stir in the slightest. She let her head rest against the shelf, and for the first time she could ever remember, faded into sleep.

She dreamt of a warm hearth, and a perfect view of the stars.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(I know this chapter is much much shorter than normal but I'm doing my best right now and w wrote myself into a hole on this one. I had no idea how to continue it. I felt for a moment like things were getting better, but today threw that in the trash. Things are hard right now, so this chapter was only about 2490 words.)

(Until next time...)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 110 11
(RWBY x Mute Male Reader, Volume 1) First book, spelling mistakes, bla bla you get it. Each volume will be a separate book cuz fuck it. Also, a (not...
445K 5.9K 46
A boy named (Y/N) (L/N) grew up in an orphanage and after years of he got sick of it all and ran away. He had to learn how to survive on the streets...
23.2K 492 30
RWBY x Male Reader Story Sorry if a lot of things in the chapters seem really confusing, rushed and stupid. It's because I'm really not the best at w...
10K 115 10
You are Y/n L/n and you have the powers and ability's of Killua and for year's you where abused and neglected but you ran away one day with new goals...