His One || Newt Scamander

By okayjhannah

She was thrown into a situation of helping two strange gentlemen in her apartment - a series of events leadin... More

Unlikely Visitors
Peculiar
Dragon Pox
Dine de Alexie
An Ocean's Breeze
For Radiant Eyes
Coldest Accomplishment
A Delightful Warmth
Fallen Deep
Thunderbird Cure
Mind Over Matter
Relationship As A Journey
Central Park
Giggled Up
Silver Tongue
Finally... His Decision
On Clinic Duty
Snowflakes and Icicles
Coming to an End
Someone You Thought You Knew
Revelio
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
SEQUEL

Any Means Necessary

9.5K 386 280
By okayjhannah

The case had become eerily quiet in the next half hour. Some of the creatures had become a bit anxious and sought out Anna for comfort. She noticed that within the last day Pickett had decided to abandon her for Newt and she felt slightly lonely without the twig in her pocket.

The Niffler cuddled in her lap as the Mooncalves huddled near her with Frank watching protectively over them. She tried to release the tension in her shoulders, but couldn't shake the fact that something was going horribly wrong on the surface.

If they truly were in MACUSA it was only a matter of time before they decided to come searching Newt's case. He was probably in a complete tizzy over the possibility that his creatures would be confiscated or hurt. Perhaps Jacob was in the right to tell her to stay.

Soon her suspicions became reality as a clang from the shed caught her attention. She stood and hushed the beasts surrounding her, ushering them to hide away.

As she rounded a corner she heard the distinct voice of Mr. Graves, "My God, look at this place. I believed what he reported to be a joke. Spread out and bring back anything suspicious." 

Anna heard footsteps as the Aurors proceeded to fan out into the case. She felt instant fury as she thought about the number of frightened beasts as these intruders invaded them.

Within a few minutes a cry was made in a far direction, "Sir! I think I found something."

Everyone, including Anna, ventured over to the enclosure. The one that held the contained Obscurus.

Graves became fascinated, "Well done, Abernathy. Who would think someone as scrawny as that Scamander would harbor such a dangerous creation. We'll bring it up and see what he makes of it." He began to stretch his hand towards the orb and Anna made her move.

"Don't touch it! You'll set it free."

Graves whipped towards her, "Seize her! Goldstein - I should have known, hanging around that wizard so often. You must've been a part of his schemes. Did you take part in the destruction of the city as well?"

Aurors gripped her arms as she struggled, "Nothing in this case is dangerous, Graves. They're simply frightened. Now, if you don't mind, I don't want an untamed Obscurus rampaging about in here, so kindly retract your hand from the parasite."

Graves whistled, "You've become a feisty one, haven't you? Medical leave has done wonders for your temper. I think there's still more information in you yet - something about Grindewald perhaps. Take her upstairs to interrogation - we'll get her to talk."

Anna fought with all the strength she had, but with her wand taken she was powerless against the strong Aurors guiding her. She was thrust out of the case and dragged down numerous hallways, now bound by an invisible force around her wrists.

They past a series of doors that led to prison cells. Within them were many people in various stages of sorrow. At the end of the row she spotted some familiar faces.

"Tina? Jacob? Is that you Newt?"

The three of them snapped to the bars of their cell, clutching the metal with slight panic in their features. Newt did not appear as cold as he was before.

"Are you alright?" he asked; Anna thought she saw fear in his searching eyes. "They didn't hurt you?"

She was persistently pushed along, "For now. And your case is unharmed. The only creature they took was the Obscurus!" She yelled behind her as another door was opened.

There was a simple pair of chairs and a table before her; an interrogation.

She was roughly placed in one of the seats and Graves rounded the corner to the other one. The Aurors surrounded the walls, guarding the dimly lit room.

"What do you want, Graves? You already have an Obscurus. The wrong one, I might add."

"I'm more curious about your British friend, Anna. He's very fond of you, isn't he? Do you support his decision to bring in wild beasts illegally to America?"

She thinned her lips into a line, "I didn't know he had the case when I first met him, if that's what you mean."

He smirked, "But you help him currently, correct? You play with his little animals and chase after them on the street? Why would you let loose such a danger to the public?"

"Are you suggesting I did it purposefully?" she questioned, feeling her fingers twitch with nerves as her shoulders sunk.

Graves ganged up on her, "Perhaps... perhaps to provoke the exposure of our world - to create a new kind of rift between the No-Maj and wizard kind."

She quieted her voice, "You mean starting a war. Killing to support the rise of wizards?"

He leaned in, "Precisely."

Anna bit her lip and darkened her gaze, "I'm not a part of anything Grindewald advertises, Graves. I don't believe murder is the correct way to reign."

Graves turned his eyes to the ground, nodding slowly, "I'm not quite sure I believe you. These records I have here say that you've been experiencing some mental stress. Is that true, Anna?"

"I don't know what..."

"Your parents died when you were ten, did they not? That's a traumatizing experience for such a young girl. And then you decided to become a healer, but according to these files you've been given some medical leave. You've been cracking under the pressure? Your head isn't quite screwed on right at the moment? Your own Chief had to step you down because you didn't believe you were experiencing such unhealthy emotional outbursts.

How is it so difficult to imagine that you took part in these recent schemes? You haven't been yourself as of late. Not since that foreign wizard appeared."

She swallowed hard and frowned towards the table, letting Graves sigh.

"I was hoping it didn't come to this," he nodded towards his Aurors and they all exited the room much to Anna's confusion. "If it doesn't make you talk, perhaps the sound of your screams will provoke answers from another."

He stood and ensured the door was bolted before advancing the continually frightened Anna. She could now not hide the anxiety that was consuming her and replacing her courage with fear.

"What are you going to do?"

"There are certain measures that must be taken for the greater good. Grindewald must be stopped, you understand. The means in which this information is seized is not of import. What the President doesn't know won't kill her."

Anna shrunk further in her chair, "What does that mean?"

Graves extracted his wand, "Believe me, this wasn't my intention coming here. But you are withholding information from me."

"But I'm not!" she suddenly squeaked. "I told you the truth."

"Yes, however - there are others that may need a little persuading." He extended his hand and aimed for her chest.

"Crucio."

Newt paced along the edge of the cell, "But it's a fact that she enjoys going out with him."

Jacob scoffed, "Because he's the only one asking her! If you took the chance we all know she'd say yes."

Soren had become the hot topic while they waited in the cell. Seeing Anna being roughly escorted down the hall sparked something within Newt, he no longer felt jealously towards their relationship, but fear for her safety.

"You shouldn't listen to anything Soren said. He was just trying to get under your skin," Jacob pressed. "Do you know why he singled you out?"

Newt paused his frantic steps as Tina answered for him, "He's threatened by you. He sees how close you and Anna have gotten and he's the one who's jealous - jealous of you."

"You think?"

Jacob gave a small smile, "I think it's about time you made a move, Newt. She's been interested in you for a while now."

Newt took a second to wonder, "I don't know - she still seems completely oblivious."

"Stop doubting yourself, Newt," Tina stated, standing. "How many times do we have to tell you? She wants you."

He slightly shook his head, denying, "You know, if it weren't for you we wouldn't even be in this situation."

She caught her breath, "You honestly don't think I intended for this to happen. All I wanted was..."

"How can you stand there encouraging Anna and I when you were waiting for MACUSA to send me home? And now Anna is with Graves enduring Merlin knows what."

Tina frowned and bowed her head, realization slowly filling her mind. She now knew her moment of weakness and couldn't hide the shame that enveloped her.

There was a sudden cry that pierced the air and the trio snapped their necks towards the hallway.

"Was that..." Jacob muttered.

Another scream shocked them, pleading and agonizing; something that shred Newt's mind into tears of terror and dread, "Adelaide? What are they doing to her!" He slammed against the bars and felt his breath painfully stick in his lungs.

All they could hear were prolonged cries of torture ensuing from down the hall, they ended in loud gasping sobs and short pleads of pity that jabbed their hearts. Newt began banging the cell, attempting to catch the attention of any surrounding guards.

Jacob and Tina yelled along with him, both their demeanor's whipped straight and tense with anticipation.

"Anna!" Tina cried, feeling her eyes sting. "What have I done?"

"This has to be illegal - what are they thinking?" Jacob questioned, sudden memories of the war coursing his eyes.  

Newt continued to bang and kick his cage, ignoring the pain that stabbed his limbs with every attempt, "Adelaide! Adelaide... please."

The eternity of screams that terrorized them soon came down to pure silence and it was even more terrifying than what occurred before.

The trio stood white knuckled pressed against the locked door, Newt felt beads of sweat line his forehead as his chin quivered.

"You don't think..." Jacob began.

"Don't. Don't even consider... she can't. She can't -" Newt muttered.

Distance footsteps echoed as a guard entered their peripheral, "Newt Scamander."

The three of them exploded with demands, "Where's Anna? What did you do to her?"

The guard simply undid the lock and leveled his wand towards Newt, "Come with me."

He scowled and pursed his lips, hiding a heavy breath - but he complied. In silence they trailed down towards where Adelaide's agony came from. They entered a small room with an interrogation table and Graves sitting across.

"Where's Adelaide?"

Graves intertwined his fingers, "Have a seat, Mr. Scamander. I have a few questions that I had hoped you'd answer for me."

Newt cautiously sat in his chair, hardening his eyes, "Not until you tell me about Adelaide."

"You're an interesting man, Mr. Scamander," he fingered through a file before him. "You were thrown out of Hogwarts for endangering human life with a beast."

"Where's Adelaide?"

Graves huffed, "Don't you understand the present situation, Mr. Scamander? Miss. Goldstein is very weak at the moment and I don't believe she can stand much more 'interrogation.' Now, will you comply to my questioning or do you need a little more... persuading?"

Newt took a shuddering breath and huddled his shoulders, "What do you want?"

Anna crumpled on the ground, taking shallow breaths. Her limbs screamed at her with any sign of movement and her very veins burned with protest. She whimpered as silent tears escaped her eyes and questions dampened her senses.

Why would Graves resort to illegal curses? Did all that was happening within New York honestly have something to do with Grindewald? Regardless, Anna wasn't going to condemn Newt. She remained truthful in all her responses - they had done no damage that couldn't be redeemed.

But would anyone even believe her if she told MACUSA what Graves had done? He was a high standing official with perfect credentials and power.

The door opened slowly and a beam of light coursed through the darkened room. A quiet, timid voice whispered into the space, "Addie?"

Another moan escaped her lips as she pried her eyes open, making Queenie gasp at the sight.

"Oh, honey," she cried. "We're gonna help you, don't worry. We're escaping." She knelt down beside her sister and opened the case she brought with her. Yelling down into it she choked out past tears, "I found her. She's not looking too good."

Anna attempted a smile, but winced instead, "I... I can't move."

Queenie bit her lip, "I know it hurts, honey, but we gotta get you in the case. Just a few moments of pain and you'll be safe, alright? I'll help you." She ignored the hard feelings pushing her to cry and smiled at her sister.

Anna contorted her brow and sat up slowly, squeaking as fire traveled to her creaking joints. She made her way to the case, Queenie placing gentle hands on her arm and back, "In you go, Newt will get you at the bottom. Deep breaths." She sniffed, blinking wet eyes.

The travel down the ladder was agonizing and Anna couldn't help but let a few cries leave her as she clutched one of the rungs.

"Adelaide?" she heard Newt mutter. "I'm right here. Just a few more steps and I've got you."

She took shaky breaths as she furthered the ladder, twitching when she felt hands graze her waist. They led her to the cot across the shed and laid her down.

"Now all you have to do is rest," he whispered. "I'm so sorry, Adelaide."

Anna had to let her vision settle before she could interpret her surroundings. An obnoxious haze covered her mind as she lifted a hand that was immediately taken and squeezed.

"I'll be alright," she grimaced a smile. "It'll just take some time."

Tina and Jacob stood near her feet with the urge to speak, but refrained from fear of overwhelming her. It seemed she was perfectly content with her eyes closed and Newt holding her hand with both of his.

"Can I ask what happened?" he muttered.

She steadied her breathing, "Graves used the cruciatus curse to get information from me - to have me confess that it was Newt's fault that chaos has taken over. But I refused and he didn't believe me. He said that my screams would persuade..."

Newt hushed her and held her hand closer to his chest, "Believe me it did. That was perhaps one of the most terrifying moments of my life." He rubbed his thumb across the back of her hand, "I felt completely helpless knowing you were in that situation because of me."

"And me," Tina perked up. "This is all my fault."

The case opened and Queenie came climbing down, Jacob running to help her. Once she landed she rounded on her younger sisters, "Teenie, what do you think you were doing? Look at Addie! Look what happened! How could you?" Jacob held her back by the arm and shushed her.

Tina let her head hang as she folded her hands, "I was persuaded by Graves that the one thing I wanted more than anything in the world was to be back at MACUSA. He somehow got me convinced that this was the only way - I was crazed and driven mad by the idea..."

Queenie huffed, "And you almost got everyone killed."

Anna opened her eyes and squinted against the light, "Everyone?" Her neck screamed at her for attempting to lift her head and she felt light fingers press on her forehead to keep her laying down.

Tina sniffed, "After Graves interrogated us he sentenced Newt and I to death. We were escaping from being executed when Queenie and Jacob found us."

"Thanks to Pickett and the Swooping Evil," Newt whispered, his eyes still not leaving Anna's tense features.

"So Graves decides to torture me with illegal curses and sentence you two to death? Seems a bit unreasonable to me," she cracked another painful smile. "I suppose he asked you about Grindewald as well?"

Tina nodded, "He's convinced whatever's stalking the streets has to do with Grindewald. But we know it's an Obscurus, that much is true."

Jacob finally piped up, "Shouldn't we tell someone about this? This Graves guy has been doing illegal stuff - shouldn't he be arrested?"

Queenie sighed, "Who would we tell? Everyone at MACUSA trusts him."

"He's the President's right hand man. He's practically untouchable," Tina remarked.

Anna muttered, "Which is why he feels he can do whatever to get the proper information."

"So no one would believe us even if we tried," Jacob concluded. "I guess we're kinda fugitives now, huh?"

They all looked around at each other for a few seconds, contemplating. Wondering if Graves would take the step further and arrest them for whatever they'd done.

"I say we lay low for a few days - track Graves' whereabouts. We'll have to see if any news feed reports any of us and in the meantime..."

"We let Anna rest," Newt stated, still admiring her. "She can stay down here as long as she needs. There's plenty of supplies and creatures to keep her company. And I'll be here as well." He took one of his hands and traced her hairline, pulling a few stray strands behind her ear.

She was on the verge of sleep and everything was coming in and out of focus. The pounding in her head began to consume her as her limbs released tension.

"There is no need to worry, Adelaide. I've got you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

921 13 7
Theseus Scamander was a man of many means. A boy born with "pure-blood" and great wealth was already destined for a comfortable life, but in the comp...
3.7K 141 24
Roxanne was a student at Hogwarts, a proud Hufflepuff that had managed to befriend not only Albus Dumbledore but his troublemaker secret friend, Gell...
2.4K 109 17
Laila Grindelwald/Lia Scamander, once the adopted daughter of Newt Scamander, has been captured by her biological father, Gellert Grindelwald. She ev...
6.5K 171 9
Claire Black. A twenty-six year old Auror with the British Ministry of Magic, an exceptionally bright witch, and a former member of the Order of the...