Different IRL

By junieb2112

Luna is your not so typical college freshman looking forward to the opposite of new adventures. She likes qui... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 6

162 10 0
By junieb2112

A sliver of light finds an opportunity in the gap between the purple curtains hanging from the window and slices through the room like a laser beam, zeroing in on my closed eyes. More powerful than a nudge, it drags me from my dream with its heat. It drags me...from him.

Ever since last night, I haven't stopped replaying what happened. His gray stare was like the molten ray currently torturing me. It was penetrating. I couldn't stop replaying his nearness in my mind. So much so, I apparently dreamt of him. It's maddening.

I blame Kiki for what happened. Not that anything really happened except for a man whispering in my ear. But, I've never experienced anything like it before. It scrambled my brain. Lord help me for when I'm kissed for the first time. Although what he did and the way he did it, felt almost more intimate than any kiss ever could. This is what scares me.

What if this were true? What if this man, in particular, possesses a certain power that rivals or prevails over any kiss? To add to it, what if no man could ever make my heart stop like he had? My lips curl into a half smile. I've been watching too much anime. It's something I tend to do. Romanticize everything. I guess it's safe to say, I live in a fantasy world sometimes.

Maybe it's because I can control what happens in my fantasies and dreams, making the story whatever I want it to be. It's why I love to write. I'm not any good at it, but it doesn't matter because it's my own art. Art I certainly don't choose to share with anyone. My stories are romantic and far too embarrassing to share. Too embarrassing because I put too many of my own desires into them. I would hate for anyone to see any part of myself in the heroine who is always me. Not even Kiki's read any of my stories. But, she's not a big reader anyway.

Throwing the blankets off of me and dragging my bum out of bed, I dismiss any further thought of Satan whose name is Shy. A shy Satan.

"Hilarious," I whisper with a snicker.

It's the weekend, and while there's homework to be done, I should really go out and find a job. It would be nice to have some spending money and something to do other than homework and laying around. Knowing Kiki, she'll be off on her own a bunch. Being an artist, she's always meeting art friends and attending gallery openings, museums and workshops. I'll definitely need to keep myself busy.

I could search local internet listings, but I'd rather take a walk around town and see what I can see. Maybe there'll be a coffee shop hiring or some sort of waitress job that'll be merciful on me once I tell them I've never worked anywhere other than a law office. Although, I'm not sure I could balance a tray of food if my life depended on it. So maybe not a waitress? Yikes. Not sure that'll go over well. Maybe I should have taken a McDonald's job when I was fifteen to get my feet wet. Instead, my mom recruited me to her office.

Pulling one of my white blouses out of my small closet, I sniff it and breathe a sigh of relief. Kiki hasn't gotten to it. Of course she hasn't. It's white. Kiki only wears black, duh. Heh. My ultimate defense in clothing against Kiki is to wear any color other than black. Finding my blue jean skirt, I pull it out and then cheer when I also find my pink Vans. This is a cute outfit, right? Wait. Does the blue jean skirt match with the pink Vans? Can I wear pink and blue or does it look like baby colors? Damn it. Where the hell is Kiki? Glancing at the clock, I groan. It's already nine in the morning. How the hell did I sleep past seven? I usually never sleep this late. Annoying.

Grabbing all of my things, I head to the bathroom. I'm not gonna lie, I'll be forever grateful me and Kiki have a larger private room on campus. I  keep referring to our place as our room, but it's more like a small studio apartment with its own bathroom and living space. Most freshman, if any at all, don't have a place like ours. You have to have money, and it's usually seniors who have the luxury we do thus helping to disguise our freshman status.

If it were up to me to find housing, me and Kiki would be stuck with the rest of the freshman girls. But Kiki's pretty well off, so here I am. Do I feel like a mooch? Yup. Kiki assures me that I'm so small and quiet, it's like having her very own mouse. My nose crinkles. I meannn...I guess? All I know is that I'm going to work hard so I can repay her generosity someday. Yeah. I got a plan and I'm stickin' to it! I feel pumped

I finish getting ready in short order and decide on wearing the pink shoes even if they don't go with my blue jean skirt. I don't want to waste any more time and grab my mini backpack purse and head out the door.

It's really nice outside today. The leaves on the trees are starting to turn from summer greens to lemon yellows and bright crimsons. Peak season for color isn't here yet, but soon the entire block will be filled with all the gorgeous fall colors transforming the summer city into a harvest season I can't wait for. There's nothing better than seeing carved pumpkins on porches, hay bales with corn stalks decorating lamp posts and Indian corn adorning front doors.

The school was ahead of season already having decorated all the building entrances with arrangements of mums in colors of reds, yellows and purples. Autumn is definitely my favorite season. And it makes me thirsty. Starbucks should have their traditional fall drinks available by now. I definitely need some caffeine. Time to head over. Maybe I'll run into Kiki.

Adjusting my bag onto my back, I roll my eyes wondering exactly where she is. She never leaves me a note. So rude! I gotta remember to yell at her. Although, I can guess she's probably in the art room working on her most recent grim reaper creation. She had started it before we started college and brought it with her. It's hideous, and I hope someone buys it so it doesn't end up in our place. Not to be mean, but it scares the hell out of me.

Starbucks is a block away. It's a wonder how inner thought can make time seem to disappear along with one's surroundings. Popping myself out of my ruminations, I notice there's plenty of students out and about enjoying the weather today. There's also a good amount of businesses a few blocks from the school. It should be easy to find a job. Hopefully. 

Nearing the coffee shop, I hear my name being called. I'm not able to place the voice, forcing me to stop. Again I hear it and turn around to find the devil named Alex. He was the dude that exchanged numbers with Kiki. What could he possibly want with me?

Tucking an errant strand of hair behind my ear, I watch Alex approach. He's dressed much like Shy was the other day in a black leather jacket, t-shirt and snug black jeans disappearing into black riding boots. He's definitely an attractive specimen of man. Definitely intimidating. I'm going to let him speak first.

"Hey," he scratches the back of his neck.

"Hello," I whisper and hate myself for it. Awkward.

"I'm gonna be calling Kiki to ask her out on a date. I was kinda hoping you could tell me what she likes."

Interesting. I guess even tough guys can be vulnerable from time to time. Just the mention of her name has his eyes softening. It causes my eyebrow to perk up all on its own, undoubtedly giving me a suspicious expression. Kiki calls it my Maleficent face. I try not to do it, but it's pretty much automatic and betrays the personality I put out into the world which is a bit disingenuous. It's not that I'm shy or introverted on purpose. I'm just not as outgoing as my inner diva.

"Art," I reply softly. I hate myself sometimes. Why can't I just say ART, strong and confident? It's just a word!

"Art?"

"Yes. She's an artist."

"Nice. What kind?"

Despite the fact that this conversation is only taking place because Alex wants information, he's still trying to be polite to me. I'm not giving him much in return. This is so difficult. Why can't this sexy devil just fly away? I know he must have wings somewhere. Ugh! Just then, as if the heavens hear my plight, I hear my name yet again. Except this voice is gorgeous. Melodic. Kiki. Praise the lord!

I whirl around and sigh in relief as I watch her run toward me, a large art portfolio case swinging in her hand. Her other hand waves at me. She looks proud. Her masterpiece must be complete. She slows to a walk when she spies Alex, a grin lifting her mouth. She knows she's saving me. Sidling up, she's a little out of breath and breathes her hello choosing to ignore Alex. Interesting.

"It's finished," she holds up the case.

"Lemme see," I demand. I don't really want to see it. Please don't let it look too scary.

Kiki gestures to a table situated outside of the coffee shop and plops her portfolio down, fully aware Alex is tagging along. The case is unfolded and opens to the sun where her work is displayed in all of its grotesque glory. I glance around to ensure no children are about. Thank goodness there are none. Her work is the stuff of nightmares.

This is not the normal grim reaper I thought she was working on. In fact, it's not a reaper at all! It's a demon. A horrible and scary demon, devoid of facial features save sharp canines and jagged incisors wrapped in stretched leathery skin reminiscent of cracked beef jerky, stares back at me even though it has no eyes. Long black, skinny horns appear to burst angry from the demon's skull stretching so high they curve. The creature is screaming in pain. I know it's pain because the background color is a hazy red Kiki has managed to make look like smoke. I've never seen red smoke before today, and I've never been so happy this painting is merely a head shot. I fear for what the rest of the body must look like.

"This. Is fucking amazing," Alex whispers in awe.

Kiki smiles, but her eyes remain on her work.

"You did this?" He turns to look at her amazed.

"Yup. Imma horror artist. It's for sale," she nudges him.

"Dude, I know someone who'll buy this in a heart beat."

"Oh, thank God," I can't help but chime in.

Kiki laughs at my relief, but I'm serious. Having horror art from movies on the wall is one thing, but Kiki's imagination is a bit much for me. Who the heck would want this thing?

"My work don't come cheap. But because this didn't take me too long, I'll say six hundred," she shrugs.

"I'll let him know. Hey, I wanted to ask you something."

And this is my cue. Time to get back on track. I still want my coffee, and I still want to find a job. I bid Kiki and Alex farewell and head on my way. I'm so glad Kiki may have a buyer for her new piece. That thing really disturbs me.

Once inside the coffee shop, I head to the line with a frown. There's always a line whenever I go into these places. Every time. That's okay. It's not like I have any place I need to be aside from my job hunting plan. They're not hiring here. That's probably a good thing. I'd spend all my earnings on drinks.

The bell above the door dings with yet another customer, but I don't bother to turn around because that's weird. Instead, I focus my attention on the menu posted on the back wall. I don't know what I want. Initially, I had wanted an autumn drink but now I kinda want a mocha latte. Why am I so boring?

"Hello, Luna."

Soft breath whispers into my hair, and I nearly jump out of my skin. My eyes grow large. I know that voice. I've only heard one sentence from his lips, but I could never forget the deep timber of his vocal cords.

"He...hello," I manage to squeak out much to my dismay as I slowly turn to face him.

I swallow hard as I drink him in. His gray eyes are smiling at me, but his full lips remain relaxed. He's dressed in black which must be his Modus Operandi. The only thing different from last night is his footwear. He isn't wearing black boots today but, rather, black Vans. We have the same shoes on. Well, not exactly the same. Mine are pink. But, still, the same brand. His eyes follow mine, and a smirk lifts his lips. He crosses his arms. I can't help it and notice his biceps straining against his jacket. Not gonna lie, I want to touch them. Who wouldn't?

"What's your drink of choice?" he asks.

He wants to know my drink of choice? Oh God, oh God, oh God. What is it? What's my drink of choice?! Someone tell me MY. DRINK. OF. CHOICE! I forgot. A groan is released inside of my mind. My brain is dead. Absolutely dead.

"Water," I whisper.

It's then I hear it. I would bet everything I have in my checking account, which is practically nothing, that not many people get to hear it. Not sure how I feel like I know this, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. His laugh. It's a deep rumble that gives way to straight, white teeth which fit his face perfectly. A dimple appears. But as fast as I am graced with this beautiful moment, it's quickly composed.

"Let me get this straight. You've come to Starbucks...for water?"

"N...no. I'm getting a mocha...latte." Duh. Should I slap my head or just think about slapping my head? No, I'll think about pounding my head against the wall and act upon it once I get home. How awkward and cringe worthy can I get?

"I see," he smiles. "I ran into your friend and Alex on the way in."

I nod.

"She's quite the artist."

Again I agree, and am grateful it's my turn in line and place my order. It's while I'm ordering that I overhear a girl come up to Shy and try to talk with him. I can't exactly hear what they're saying because I'm trying to multitask and order at the same time. High pitch tones, then low tones are exchanged. Hmm. 

Quickly, I finish my business and move out of the way over to the side where the straw and stir sticks are set up. I'll stand over here and hope that I'm now out of sight. Who am I kidding? I'm in plain sight. He glances my way while the girl stands nearly on top of him chirping away. Is that his girlfriend? She's very pretty with chocolate brown hair, big brown eyes and legs for miles.

This is the type of girl I am not. I look down at myself. My chest is way too big for my petite body. My legs are too skinny, and I don't have a lot of junk in the trunk. I'm also kind of short at five foot four inches. How Kiki thinks I'm gorgeous is beyond me. I'm just...normal? I don't know. Releasing a sigh, I grab my drink after hearing my name called and bolt out of the coffee shop as fast as my sticks can carry me. I want to go home. I can look for a job tomorrow.

Unsure as to why I'm so upset by the exchange that just occurred, I hurry my steps. Actually, I do know why. Deep down, it's jealousy. Why can't I be as confident and beautiful as the girl chatting it up with Shy? It was so easy for her. And why did he even bother talking to me? This is why I stay to myself. This is why I like snuggling into the covers of my bed and watching anime or reading a good book or writing. In fact, that's what I'm going to do when I get home. I'm going to go right back to bed with my hot drink and play on my computer. My steps lighten and I smile. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've played some of my games. I should do that. I need to check in and collect my daily prize. AnimeSpeak, here I come!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.1K 338 27
Re-writing/editing It's strange how quickly your life can change. How it can go from happiness and joy all the time to sorrow and dread with a single...
52.2K 2.6K 24
Alpha Rogan, is the Head Elder of the Wolf Council's son, who eventually will take his father's place. He has recently returned from being away for a...
8.5M 290K 55
Nicholas Adams has lived a life of abuse from his alcoholic father and sex addict mother. So growing up was tough. He makes sure everyone fears him...
925K 26.8K 38
DIABOLIC SERIES 1 Simply put, this story is about a boy who calls himself the Devil and a girl who has gone through hell. Being 'happy' doesn't come...