I Need You

By ilovewriting201

The recent death of Rylee Douglas' parents has made her very secluded and sad. She doesn't want to open up to... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Not An Update
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Merry Christmas!!!
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 12

5K 152 9
By ilovewriting201

(Jake's POV)
I was sick. I knew that the first time I threw up, but I didn't know it was this bad. I wish it wasn't this bad. Rylee and T.J together. That was a mission accomplished to me. I knew they were good for each other, and I knew they would help each other if and when I die.
Rylee keeps telling me that I'll get better. Everyday since we left the hospital she's been telling me, "you'll get better, Jake." "We'll get through this together." "You're not going to die, Jake." I just wish I could believe her. She's like a sister to me, and I know that her and Elisa are close. Elisa tells me that Rylee tells her everything, and I'm glad they have that kind of relationship.
They're all going to need someone when I die. I wish I could make this stupid disease go away so I could be happy with them. I watch T.J and Rylee interact, it's been a month that they've been together. You can see in their eyes how much they care for each other. If I were honest, I would say I was jealous of their relationship. I wish I could have a girlfriend, but I don't want to be in a committed relationship and then die.
Elisa has this guy that's interested in her, and she likes him. His name is Myles. The same guy that T.J was jealous over. He isn't jealous anymore, they're actually friends, but he's still as protective as ever, constantly threatening him if he gets close to Elisa. Rylee tries to get him to ease up on her, telling him that's she's a kid and should be able to live her life. T.J always disagrees, saying that she's his little sister and he doesn't want her to get hurt. It's kind of amusing actually.
Today, we're all going bowling. I declined the offer to go at first, but finally have in when all three of them started begging. "So, who do you think is going to win?" Elisa asks from next to me in the car. "Definitely me," T.J replies, earning a whack on his arm from Rylee. I chuckle at them. "Don't be conceded," she snaps, but I know she's teasing. "Sorry, love, it's just how I am," he replies. "Please no pet names while we're around," I beg, disgusted. Elisa and Rylee chuckle, and I see T.J's face turn red.
We arrive at the bowling ally, and we all get out. Elisa loops her arm through mine and T.J takes Rylee's hand. Honestly, I'd consider T.J a little possessive over Rylee. Whenever a guy looks at her, he'll immediately put his arm around her waist and pull her closer to him, while glaring at the guy. Rylee just rolls her eyes and goes along with it.
We get our shoes and walk to our lane. As we're walking some guy stops Rylee. "Is that really you?" He asks her. "Excuse me?" She replies. T.J's arm instinctively wraps around her, and the boy catches the movement. "It's Ryan, Ryan McDonnell," he tells her. Her eyes widen a little and she moves closer to T.J. Who is this guy? "Right, haven't seen you since, what tenth grade," she says awkwardly. "Yeah, it's been a while, how have things been?" He asks. "Um, Ryan, this is my boyfriend, T.J," she introduces, changing the subject. T.J just nods at him, watching him carefully. "Oh, hi, nice to meet you," Ryan greets, his voice sounding a little different. "Um, how are your parents?" She shifts uncomfortably, "they're dead." "Oh, sorry. They, um, we're great. I guess I'll see you around then. Nice seeing you again," with that he walks off. "Who was he?" T.J asks. "My ex-boyfriend," she answers. "I haven't talked to him in two and a half years." "You counted?" He asks, as we continued walking. "Don't be like that," she states. "Like what? I'm just curious," he replies sitting on the chair in our lane. I can tell he was trying not to get angry or act jealous, but I can see it in his eyes. She sighs and sits next to him, "no, I didn't count. The last time we talked was in tenth grade, I just did the math then." He sighs, "alright."
The rest of the day he was quiet towards Rylee. She'd try and talk to him, and he'd answer shortly. I could tell it was hurting her. Finally, I couldn't take it. "T.J can I talk to you for a minute?" I ask. He looks at me and nods, then follows me outside. Once we get outside I snap, "what is your problem?" "What do you mean?" He asks. "Don't play stupid! You're hurting her, can't you see?! How was she supposed to know her ex would be here? She's completely into you, and only you. Can't you see that? She wouldn't leave you!" I snap. He looks down, "I don't like seeing her with guys she's had a past with. They make me jealous that I couldn't have been with her before." "So you ignore her? You should be trying to make up for it, not ignoring her," I reply harshly. "You're right," he admits. I nod, "I'm glad you realize it." What would they do without me?
(Rylee's POV)
"Why is he ignoring me?" I ask Elisa, after the boys went outside. "He's jealous," she relies simply. "Of what? Im his girlfriend, there's nothing to be jealous of," I state. "Well, Ryan. He didn't like that you had dated him before. I don't know, he's weird," she replies. I sigh, and look at my hands. "Look, Ry, I wouldn't worry about it. He'll get over it and everything will be fine and dandy," she comforts. "Are you sure?" I ask. She nods, "I'm positive. Look here he comes. Ready, 3...2...1..." She points at him. "Rylee, can we talk?" He asks, making Elisa give me an I-told-you-so look. "Sure," I reply and follow him outside.
We walk to the car, and I sit on the hood, and he stands in front of me. "I'm sorry," he apologizes. "I'm so, so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I-I just get jealous over guys you had a past with, because I wish I was the one to be there for you and not them. I'm sorry for ignoring you. I was acting stupid and childish." I look at him, "it's okay, I understand." He looks down, "I don't like fighting." "Me neither," I agree. He smiles up at me, "see, I'd kiss you right now, but there's kids." He nods his head towards the two kids watching us out of the car window. I chuckle and kiss him on the cheek, "come on, let's go back inside." He nods and takes my hand, and we walk back inside.
I can't believe tomorrow would be one month of us being together. I wonder if he remembers?
******
(The next day)
One month. It's been one month that T.J and I have been together. The thing is, he forgot. He hasn't said anything about it, hasn't acted any way different. He's just acting as if it were just any other day.
I was sitting on my bed, talking to Elisa about it. "Maybe you should tell him," she suggests. I shake my head, "no, I'd rather him not know than for me to have to actually tell him. I mean he went out with Jake today to go play football, he obviously either doesn't know, or just doesn't care." She sighs and pats my knee, "guys can be so stupid sometimes." I nod, "I just wish he would've remembered."
(T.J's POV)
One month. I've been dating Rylee for a month. It's been so hard not telling her anything, she probably thinks I've forgotten. I haven't though. I've been so nervous about today for the past week, I want to show her how special she is to me. Jake keeps reminding me not to say anything, it's supposed to be a surprise. We told the girls we were going to go play football, but really he's helping me set up for tonight. We didn't tell Elisa, because we knew she'd end up spilling to Rylee, though I plan to text her to get Rylee ready without saying why.
I have an hour before we're ready so I text her now.

Get Rylee dressed. Make sure she's comfortable and warm and bring her to the place we all used to go as kids. Don't tell her why. Thanks. -T

Ha! I knew you wouldn't forget! I'll tell her we're going to a party to her mind off of it. She's been really upset that you didn't say anything. -E

I feel a little guilty now, since she said that and I reply:

Hopefully the stuff I've planned will make up for it. Be here at 8. -T

Okay, ttyl ;) -E

I take a deep breath and Jake and I finish the last bit of setting up for tonight. Once we're finished, Elisa pulls up, and Jake claps me on the shoulder and smiles at me, "good luck."
I take another breath, and Jake opens the door for Rylee. "Jake what's going- hey," she says. I smile at her, "come on." She walks to me and loops her arm in mine, and I walk to the pavilion where the twins and I would come to get away.
"Wow," she gasps when she sees it. I smile nervously down at her, "do you like it?" She grins at me, "I thought you forgot." "How could I? You're the best thing that's happened to me," I reply honestly. "You hungry?" She nods and we walk over to the table. I pull out the chair for her and she sits. I take a seat across from her and smile. She actually likes it. She looks around, "wow, T.J. This-this is amazing, how long did it take you to do this?" "All day. Jake and I were setting up when we told you we were going to play football. I wanted it to be a surprise," I answer. "It definitely surprised me. Thank you," she replies. She looked amazing tonight. Her hair was curled lightly and fell gently over her shoulders, she was wearing a nice sweater and nice jeans. I couldn't take my eyes off of her. Though I never can, really. She sees me staring at her and her cheeks flush pink, "what are you looking at?" "You. You're beautiful, Rylee," I tell her. She smiles and looks down, and whispers a quiet "thanks."
We eat, and then I walk out to a hill where I placed a blanket. It's probably one of the best places to stargaze. I lied down first, and she lies next to me. "I love you," I tell her. "I know it seems weird and cheesy, but I do. You're beautiful, you're funny, you're smart. I love the way your eyes light up when you talk about something or someone you love, or when you laugh. I love that you're kind to everyone, no matter how they treat you. I love how you have a soft heart, how you want to care for everyone in need. I love that you don't care what other people think, and are just yourself. Gosh, I love everything about you, Rylee. I love you." She looks up at me quietly, a small smile on her lips. "Say something," I beg her. "I love you, too," she replies and my heart flies. She's never said it back. I accidentally said it in the kitchen, the first time we kissed. Well, it wasn't the first time, but the first time we kissed and we knew what we each felt for each other. "Really?" I ask. She sits up and looks down at me, "I love you, T.J O'Connor." I smile up at her and press my lips to hers. This kiss felt different than all the rest. It was almost like those weren't real kisses. This one, it felt real. It felt full of love and passion. She pulled away and looked at me, "I love you." "I love you, too," I reply.
Our moment had to be ruined by my phone ringing. I looked at it and Elisa's name appeared. "Hello?" I answer. "It's Jake," she says. Those two words made my heart stop, "what happened?" "I-I don't know. We were talking and then he started having convulsions. I'm at the hospital, oh gosh, T.J I'm scared," she cries. "Calm down, we'll be there in a second," I tell her. "Okay, please hurry. Bye," she hangs up. "T.J?" Rylee asks worriedly. "We have to go," I tell her.
"What happened?" She asks when we're driving. "Jake had a seizure. Ugh, I feel guilty. He shouldn't have helped me with tonight, he's been weak lately. It's my fault he's in the hospital, Ry," I state. I feel her take my hand, "it's not your fault, T.J. Let's just get there and see what the doctor says. I hope he's alright." "Me too," I reply.
(Rylee's POV)
Poor Jake, I hope he's alright. I hope the doctor can do something about it. I closed my eyes, keeping ahold of T.J's hand as we drove, hoping that Jake will be alright.
We arrive and hurry to Jake's room. Elisa was there, tear streaks on her cheeks. The minute we walk in, she runs to T.J and he hugs her tightly. "It's okay, he'll be okay," he whispers to her, but I can see the worry and unsureness in his eyes. Jake was lying on the bed hooked up to all kinds of machines. The beeping of his heart monitor assuring everyone that he was alive. I walked over and took his hand, and his heart rate increased, but then slowed back down to it's normal pace. He was pale and cold, and the only thing telling me he was alive was the heart rate monitor.
"Come on, buddy. You have to pull through. I know you can do it, you're a strong kid. Your brother and sister need you. I need you to keep them from tearing each other's heads off-" I chuckle a little. I knew he was asleep, but I wished somehow he could hear me. I feel someone out their hand on my shoulder, and look up at T.J. He smiles sadly down at me, "you know, he loves you like a sister. You always got along with him, probably better than I do."
There's a knock at the door, and we all turn and see someone we weren't expecting. "What are you doing here?" T.J snaps. His dad looks from him to Jake sadly, "I heard he was here, did you think I wouldn't come?" "Yeah, you wouldn't care anyways. Why are you here?" T.J asks again harshly. "T.J," I whisper, touching his arm. "Who are you?" His dad asks, nodding his head at me. "She's my girlfriend," T.J answers. His father smirks, "you weren't always one to settle down. What made you stick with her, I mean, I've seen other girls better than her." I tense, stung by his words. T.J's arm wraps around me, pulling me to his side, "The reason I stuck with her? She understands me, she better than any other girl I know. I wouldn't blame her if she left me because she's too good for me. And I love her." I was touched by his words, but his father glares at me, "she looks like a girl who's using you." Alright, that's it, I'm done being nice to him, "Look here, I would never use him, or anyone else. I love T.J because that's how I really feel. You are selfish, distorted man who only thinks for himself. You came home drunk every night because your wife died, and you never once thought of how your kids were effected by it. They were grieving too, and on top of that, had to deal with a drunk for a father. Even though I think it's mean, I'm not sure why your wife could marry someone like you." "You can leave now," T.J states lowly to his dad. "You haven't heard the last of me. I'm filing for custody over the twins," he states and leaves.
I turn to T.J, "I'm so sorry." He wraps his arms around me, "it's not your fault. He's a twisted man, and we'll just have to deal with him." He let's go of me and turns to Elisa who had started to cry again, "I'm not going to let him take you, I'll make sure to win this fight." Elisa nods and hugs him, then the doctor comes in.
"I have some good news and some bad news, which do you want to hear first?" The doctor asks. "The good news," T.J replies. "The good news is that Jake's cancer cells have almost completely disappeared. The bad news, he has to continue with treatments," the doctor tells us. "How is that bad news?" I ask. "It's bad because the treatments will continue even after the cancer cells disappear, it's to make sure it doesn't come back. It can make him very sick, and he might lose all of his hair," the doctor replies. We nod, and I ask, "when can he leave?" "Two days, we want to make sure he's okay since he had a seizure," the doctor answers. "Alright, thanks Doc. Anything else we need to know?" T.J asks. "No, you're welcome to stay here as long as you'd like, I can get one of the nurses to bring you a cot to sleep on," the doctor states. "That'd be nice, thank you," Elisa replies. He nods once and leaves. T.J lets out a breath of relief and I smile, "well, that's amazing news!" Elisa and T.J nod and hug each other. T.J turns back to face me, "we just have to deal with my dad now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48 0 16
Delilah was a nice, sweet you name it teenage girl. Her life looked simply, but it wasn't. Ever since her brother Tre passed away her parents changed...
3.1K 65 33
Erica and Liam are only 11 or 12 when they decided they want to be 'girlfriend and boyfriend.' When they both decide to do this, they both know that...
5.3K 858 36
After the tragic loss of his mother, Rylie Collins returns to his hometown for his freshman year, only to find himself struggling to cope with grief...
158 21 7
Young Harper has a pretty normal life in Jacksonville, Florida. She enjoys reading, staying inside, and been playing piano since her younger years. S...