According To The Muses {UTAPR...

By My_Pharaohs_Keeper

(ONGOING) Melody KaSakura journeys to recover her passion for music after a major accident & a life-threateni... More

WELCOME READERS!
1: The Dawn Of A New Beginning
2: A Seven Colored Compass?
3: His Brand New Melody
4: Knocking On His Mind
5: Believe His Heart
6: Let's Go! His Fight!
7: His Shout Out To Orion: WHITE (Part 1)
8: His Shout Out To Orion: BLACK (Part 2)
9: Believe His Voice
10: Her Fantastic Dream (Part 1)
11: Her Fantastic Dream (Part 2)
12: From Trinity to Tristar and Back (Part 1)
13: From Trinity to Tristar and Back (Part 2)
14: From Trinity to Tristar and Back (Part 3)
15: Trust His Dream
16: Mister Psycho Madness
18: Sorrowful Feeling Heart
19: His Eternity Love
20: Her Lost Child's Heart
21: Our Weaving Dreams
22: Our Map of the Future

17: Who's Orpheus?

61 1 0
By My_Pharaohs_Keeper

MPK: The cover above is done by kokoko6891 on YT. I consider her the real-life Haruka honestly, her piano covers are beyond amazing. She's really talented. She's covered a bunch of Utapri songs and still does covers for other animes to this day, so check her out if you want~

So, I got even lazier and didn't write the song for my OC for this chap. (So sorry T-T Sike Nah, I needed a break). But I think the one I used fits anyway...See if you can guess what it's from~More about it at the end of the chap~

WARNING: This chapter's pretty emotional and touches a pretty heavy adult subject. Exercise some caution when reading it.

__________________

"Ladies and gentlemen! Can I have your attention, please?! The results of the first round of the Pair Vs Pair Contest have been decided!"

A giant LED leaderboard appeared on the stage screen.

"These are the final 10 pairs going head to head in the final round! Get ready for a finale you'll never forget! Right after this break!"

After the announcer finishes, the cameras cut off and fade to black. The leaderboard remains on the screen to be deciphered.

"I'm...I-I'm in first." Otoya's ruby-red eyes widened. He couldn't fathom it at all, "Me. I'm in first!?"

I hugged the redhead, "There was never any doubt! Right, Otoya?" I teased.

Otoya looked away from me nervously, "Y-Yeah...no doubts at all..."

"Oi! Otoyma~err!" The dark bluenette coughed, "Otoya." Tokiya approached us from the contest stage. "HAYATO" had just finished doing a half time segment for the audience of the live special, and thought he was now in the clear to go do Tokiya things.

Except he wasn't.

This IDIOT was still wearing HAYATO's uniform with one of Tokiya's sweat jackets on top of it all. Furthermore, the ends of his hair were still curled up in HAYATO's normal style. It was obvious Tokiya was burnt out, but I didn't expect him to be so careless! Pick the right character in the right circumstances, you big DUMMY!

I karate kicked Tokiya behind some tall crates nearby. Otoya blinked and whisked around to see no one else there. "Huh? Was that Tokiya just now?"

"Wha? No~Not at all!" I brought Otoya back to face me. "He should be still in the audience!" Tokiya crawled from behind the cloth table next to it, only to catch my foot in his face, knocking him back. Otoya looked back again, but I slapped his cheeks.

"Oww! What was that for~?!" Otoya whimpered.

"I-I~uh~" I quickly gathered my excuse. "B-Because I'm nervous!"

"Well then why didn't you slap your own cheeks?" Otoya removed my hands from his face. "You shouldn't be nervous Me-chan. We're in the lead right now. You'll blow the rest of this competition out the water!" He squeezed my hands with a tease, "No doubts, remember?" I sweatdropped when he threw my own words back at me. That made him smile. "Re-mem-ber?" He then pinched my cheeks just as I frowned.

"Hey, guys! The performances are starting again!" Tsubasa interrupted me before I could fully protest. Of all people, Serena and Aruhi accompanied him. "Everyone's heading on ov~whoa! I didn't mean to get in the middle of anything...But well. If it isn't ship material, I don't know what is~" Otoya pulled away and his smile lessened.

Serena grinned wickedly, "Hey! Don't stop on our account~by all means continue! Saotome or the other teachers aren't backstage to pester us."

"They always have such horrible timing," Otoya muttered to me.

"You're telling me..." I responded as we separated some more. "No one's doing anything. So, mind your own business." I growled annoyed.

"Ah KaSakura-chan, we're sorry really! We're just looking for Ichinose-kun!" Aruhi spoke up. I sweatdropped.

"He's not here yet." Otoya told her.

"Eh? B-But he told us to meet him here..." The shy, long-haired bluenette trailed off. I rolled my eyes at her puzzled demeanor. The first set of round two contestants walked by her to prep on the stage. Aruhi apologized after bumping into them. Suddenly a harsh cackle escaped Serena's mouth, "Eh? Serena-chan? What is it?"

"Sorry. I just find it funny how they claim to not be a couple, and yet are always found in such compromising positions. Strange isn't it?" I glared at the short-haired brunette.

"Most of the times they were caught were your fault, weren't they? Serena." Tsubasa also glared at her. "Leave them alone."

"But Tsubasa-kun! How can you continue to defend her over me!?" Serena suddenly cracked, "I'm tired of hearing that she's innocent! She's dating that redhead I just know it! It's obvious and she should be expelled!" She pointed dramatically. She really hates me, doesn't she?

I folded my arms with disgust, "You have some nerve accusing us of breaking the rules. Especially when you're doing it yourself!"

"Oh yeah?" Serena then smirked cynically. "And why do you think that, KaSakura-chan? Humor me."

I couldn't see what she was playing at, so I continued. The bite in my words was venomous, "You're dating Tsubasa, aren't you?" Tsubasa stiffened.

"W-Why would you think that, Senpai?"

I rolled my eyes, "It's true, isn't it? The reason for your secretive aura and all. This evil witch isn't even trying to pretend anymore, why are you? It's just us here remember?" Tsubasa grimaced with his head low.

Everyone expected a comeback from Serena. But she didn't give one. "Yup. I'm his girlfriend."

"HEH!?"

"What!?" Serena laughed manically.

"Serena-chan! You aren't supposed to be joking about something like that out loud!" Aruhi decided to chime in. Serena ignored her so-called best friend and continued to laugh.

"What do you to see in this, clearly despicable human being? She has no shame in proving that either! I just don't get it!"

"Me-chan, maybe you should slow down~" Otoya held my shoulder feeling my blood pressure on the rise. But I was too far gone. I shrugged him off.

I looked to Tsubasa, "How could you? Date this, b****?! After everything's she has done to us! And you call yourself our friend?!" I then paused, "Like how are you even still at this academy? I'm sure someone else's caught on to you two! You both should've been expelled by now, on the spot~"

"...I told you to disregard her didn't I, Melody?" His lack of the word "senpai" was a little chilling. I tightened my lips.

"Are you saying that she's lying then?"

"You don't know our circumstances." He immediately tells me. "Regardless of Serena's personality, there's a reason why we stay together. One that Shining Saotome is fully aware of, not that you need to know." Tsubasa turned his back to us, "If you can't find it in yourselves to accept me as a friend, flaws and all, then so be it. But stop trying to understand what you don't need to." He pulled away from Serena's grip. "Before the truth gets you hurt." He said under his breath, loud enough for me to catch it.

"Wait! Tsubasa! Now, look at what you've done!?" Serena started to stalk after him. "You'll pay soon enough Melody. I swear you'll get what you deserve!" She then ran away to find him.

"Ittoki-kun." Aruhi turned to him, "If you find Ichinose-kun, please let one of us know. If you can." Otoya nodded to her and she left after the other two.

Otoya took a breath before addressing me. "You couldn't hold back just a little, could you?" His eyes were closed as if he was frustrated with me.

"You're kidding me right!?" I immediately yelled, "Those two have been trouble since all of us met! I can't believe you'd dare try defending them at all."

"Kagoshima-chan no. But Tsubasa-kun? And even Aruhi-chan?" I glared waiting for his point. "Tsubasa's right. We don't know why they stay by Kagoshima-chan's side. You only made an accusation without any proof."

"Without any proof?"

"Yeah." Otoya folded his arms. The second pair vs pair couple passed us onto the stage. "Tsubasa...he's always seemed suspicious to me, especially after the way he acted just now. But he's never seemed like the type to be ingenuine. He hasn't done anything to us. And Aruhi~"

"Please." I turned away from him, "Don't even. I bet that ditzy clutz can't tie her own shoes without orders. They're all in it together, I just know it!" Otoya frowned.

"You know for someone who wants to trust others more, you'd think you'd try doing it a little more." The redhead started away from me.

"Where are you going!?" I shouted, "Aren't the others coming here?"

"I'm going to look for Tokiya." He didn't even turn back to look at me before he left. For the first time, Otoya wasn't on my side. That is shocking, that's for sure.

"Well, that was certainly a dramatic scene." Tokiya finally reappeared from behind the crates. He must have changed during the time we were arguing. With his A-class uniform jacket on his shoulders, he slung a duffle bag with his extra clothes behind him. The bluenette walked right up and violently pinched my right cheek, "You assault me again and I'll sue you for millions." He spoke in a deep tone. I winced and nodded before he let go. The third pair went onto the stage.

I tried to flatten the ends of his hair and fixed the idiot's tie. "I'm sorry."

"I don't think I'm the one who should be apologized to." My fingers stopped.

"You were listening to us."

"I had no choice!" Tokiya yelled at me angrily. "You kicked me away!"

"I saved your hide!" He puckered his lips in a pout.

"Fine. Thank you." The bluenette couldn't argue with that. But he had something else to go on. He folded his arms, "So. How does it feel to have even your best friend against you?"

"You of all people should know it's not the first time." Tokiya peered down at me with a frown.

Tokiya sighed, "You should apologize."

"Apologize?" I looked up at him, "For what?"

The bluenette's eyes narrowed as he started the argument. "You went too far."

I stood back, "I didn't go far enough."

"You shouldn't accuse anyone without all the facts, Melody."

"You don't even know the situation."

"I watched the whole time!"

"You weren't involved!"

"You hurt Tsubasa's feelings!"

"Tsubasa can kick rocks!" I yelled. I was pushing my feelings towards Serena onto Tokiya and I knew it. "Serena hates me! And she's found a way to hurt everyone we're friends with! If Tsubasa and Aruhi think it's okay to associate with someone like that~"

"Then what about me?" Tokiya pulled my head with a hand. "Serena is a groupmate of mine for the contest."

I glared back at him, "What do think that says about you?"

"You! You can't ever admit when you're wrong!" Tokiya yelled at me. I pulled my face away. "It was obvious as soon as you accused them of dating that that wasn't the case, and yet you kept going with it!" I let out a harsh tsk. "I get that Serena may be a difficult individual, but projecting that same anger and attitude that she has towards her and the people around you makes you no different than she is!" I angrily lowered my head with a grimace. "I joined Tsubasa's team because he asked me to. And I've stayed in it because of him and Aruhi. Serena and I don't even talk. Even so, associating with her didn't just change my attitude towards you and the others! I still fought for you and Otoya in Saotome's office all the same!" Tokiya composed himself. "Tsubasa has been friendly to me since I've met him at the academy, I'm sure it's been the same for you. You shouldn't just reject a friend because of who they hang around. Not until you know the whole truth."

"...I fell right into Serena's trap." I hugged myself with shame. I teared up, "She knew I'd get worked up and I did."

Tokiya hugged me with his free arm, "Melody. You can't keep letting your emotions drive you so rashly like this. Or you're going to lose everything."

I tried to push him away. Tokiya dropped his duffle. "Oh, what do you know!?"

"It's happening to me!" Tokiya tightened his grip around me as he used both arms. The wrinkles under Tokiya's eyes hardened. "Bit by bit. Little by little, it's still happening. And you might not think so, but I hate seeing the same thing happen to you." His dark blue bangs covered his face, "This academy is giving us a second chance, Melody. A second chance at a decent idol life. Please, don't take that for granted."

CREEEAAAAK

"Ichinose-kun? You're here already." The two of us looked up as Masato pulled open the door to the backroom of the stage. "Ah! KaSakura-chan! I didn't realize~" This time, it is Tokiya who pushed me away.

"Masa~!" I caught myself from falling. "There's nothing going on here!"

"I guess I deserved that..." I muttered to myself. Masato entered the room. Syo, Haruka, and Natsuki shuffled in behind him. The fourth pair climbed onto the stage to perform.

"Otoya has been looking for you." The bluenette told the other.

"Oh, is that so?" Tokiya feigned innocence. He pulled out his cell phone and turned around. "I'll call him." He moved closer to the wall.

"It's about time for my performance!" Natsuki announced excitedly. "I can't wait! My heart is beating so fast!"

"Don't worry Nacchan, you'll do great." I gave him a smile.

"Yeah, you'll do fine." Syo told him.

"I don't want to do fine Syo! I want to do great!" Natsuki pulled Syo's cheeks and he winced, "I must match Ren's awesomeness!"

"It wasn't that awesome, Shinomii. But I'm glad you feel that way." Ren entered the space with a sweatdrop. Tomo, Otoya, and Tsubasa sauntered in behind him. I stiffened hoping to not make eye contact with them.

"But it was!" Natsuki grabbed Ren's hands. "You've practiced so hard, and it really showed in your performance! I wish to also put Haruka's song to such good use!"

"Well, we know you can Natsuki!" Otoya plastered another one of his trademark smiles onto his face.

"Otoya-kun! You've returned! Oh good!" Natsuki sighed relieved, "Now I can have all my A-class brothers and sisters watching over me!" He held out his arms, "Let us all initiate a group hug for good luck!" Everyone flinched. "Please! A-class members unite!" With pale faces, Masato, Tomo, Haruka, Otoya, and I moved closer to embrace Natsuki. The tightened feeling brought us close to death for a total of 10 seconds. The warm smile formed onto the tall blonde's face. "Tokiya! You two!"

"Heh?!" Tokiya flinched as Natsuki pulled him over, "But~!"

"Don't worry, you're Mister In-Between after all!" Syo and Ren leaned him over in a sing-song voice. Tokiya swore revenge as he was suddenly trapped into a solo Natsuki death hug.

"There! I hugged all my A-class friends! I'll definitely do well now!" He also high-fives Ren for luck as well.

"And now for #4! Singing his song, Southern Cross Waltz, Shinomiya Natsuki-kun!"

"Everyone! Thank you!" So anxious to greet the audience, Natsuki somehow bypassed Shining and the announcer. Shining only shrugged and sat back in his seat. All of us sweatdropped knowing Natsuki could have been kicked off-stage acting like that. Haruka eventually followed behind him onto the stage to play piano for him. After a minute of interacting with the crowd by waving his arms and cooing like a crazy person, Natsuki composed himself. "Okay, I'm ready." He got serious. "Here I go~" The blonde accepted his viola from Ren, who was holding it on the side of the stage. He and Haruka began to play at the same time. Haruka's piano playing sped up and Natsuki sang as he played along.

sajin no kurayami, samayou toki sae

yasashisa g a boku ni wa kikoeta yo

hanabi no RABIRINSU, toiki ga chikakute

kimi no me ni suikomareta yo!

hajimete, namae de, yobareta hi ni,

koi no HYŪZU, HAJIkete, hoshi ni natta!

SAZAN KUROSU no Waltz

kimi to nara, boku wa yume ni toberu!

gyutto tsunagou, futari no FURĒZU, ai da to utatteru yo!

sou sa, boku wa

kimi no tame no uta nanda

mukae ni iku kara, tsuki de mattete!

...mukae ni iku kara, tsuki de mattete...

Natsuki lowered his viola as he sings the last few lyrics. The last few notes of Haruka's piano playing ended Natsuki's song. The audience is stunned by Natsuki's performance and cheered for him. Syo yelled for Natsuki as the taller blonde for did for everyone else so far.

"THAT'S MY BEST FRIEND." Is the sum of his yelling as well.

Natsuki hugged Masato immediately after he returns from the stage. "Masato I love you! I know you'll do well! You've got this~!" Masato completely oblivious to Natsuki's movements before his attack struggled under the male's sudden pounce.

"AHh! I know! I know! Just please let me go!" His short blue hair developed flyaways under stress.

"And now for #5! Singing his song, Knight no Kiss wa Yuki yori Yasashiku or A Knight's Kiss Is More Gentle Than Snow...man, that's a long one...Hijirikawa Masato-kun!"

Masato escaped Natsuki's grip and stepped onto the stage. Everyone backstage and in the crowd called out his name in support. He approached Shining with a bow and he was granted passage safely. Alone onstage, Masato sat at the piano and cracked his knuckles gently. With a cough and sigh, the bluenette shook off any lingering embarrassment and began to play. He closed his eyes initially for dramatic effect, but then most likely to avoid seeing the cameras. Masato was just that good that he didn't need to look down at the keys as he sang.

takaburu gekijou wa atsukute

kurushimerareru hibi ni taeru

too sugiru omae no kuchibiru

tameiki ga sasayaku

hoka no yatsu ga chikadzuku dake de

kodou to yokan ga zawameku

Ah konna ni, setsunai

kimochi nado omae wa shiranai

sou sa omae ni deau tame

mamorinuku tame ni umareta

dakara omae dake no NAITO de itai Tonight

kokoro no DAMU ga seki tometa

ikusen no hitamuki na

shiroi omoi ga sou afuredashiteku...

dou shiyo mo nakutomerarenai

omae dake ni kikasetai yo

kagayaku ore no yume o

atsui kono HĀTO no senritsu o kizami yuku

PIANO ga eien o chikau

ano hi deaeta kiseki, My Destiny...

Masato's strong piano composition outplayed his voice towards the end of the song. His song was on the longer side, and he took every second he could get on stage, as he should. When he finally finished playing, he opened his eyes. The audience stood up for him out of respect. The bluenette couldn't hide his blush after feeling embarrassment. He quickly bowed once more and exited the stage before it was too noticeable.

Not even having a moment of breath, Masato is glomped by Natsuki and Otoya. The red in his cheeks faded away as he is quickly annoyed and tried to tackle his way out from underneath them. This makes the group laugh.

Keeping with the fast-paced speed of the contest, number six is booed offstage before performing after cracking under pressure. Number seven and number eight performed within the next few minutes. It gave us all a moment to chill. But not me. I was number eight. I had what felt like seconds to chill before my name was called.

So in those few minutes, I prepped myself on the stage steps. After forcibly putting myself in a good position mentally, I looked at Otoya across the room. Catching my stare, the redhead approached me on my left urging me to scoot over along the stage railing. I felt the need to apologize first, so that's what I did. "Hey, about earlier. I'm sorry for yelling."

"It's okay. It's just how you get sometimes."

"I don't mean to get riled up over nothing, I just~"

"You're fine Me-chan." Otoya placed a hand on my shoulder. "It didn't bother me. We're cool." He gave me a small smile and I folded my arms awkwardly giving him one back in return. That made him smile wider.

I looked down sheepishly, "I'm going to apologize to Tsubasa after this. I was rude to him, and he didn't deserve that."

"...okay." Not wanting to rekindle the issue, Otoya's answer was short and sweet. I appreciated how cautious he was being for me. "Nervous?" His kindness and considerateness was a force to be reckoned with.

"No...not really."

"Good. Cause you got this." He smiled again and high-fived me. His ruby eye winked, "And I've got your back."

"I'm counting on you," I told him. "Together, we'll blow them away."

"Damn right." I looked at Otoya in shock. He only laughed at me.

"And next is #8! Singing her song, Zoetrope, KaSakura Melody-chan!"

I got more cheers than I thought. It was nothing like the boys's, but nothing to sneeze at either. My friends backstage were the loudest. I stepped onto the stage with Otoya at my side. Unlike what a lot of pairs did, my partner was the one to join me on stage instead of my composer. There was a plus one limit type of situation anyway. Otoya had borrowed an electric guitar from the studio and was to accompany my prerecorded drumset track in the background. My goal was to captivate the audience with sound. Something new, something heavy, and something overpowering. Something that would make even the nay-sayers speechless. That's what I wanted my style to be. So instead of addressing the audience after being accepted by Shining, I got straight to it. The music would speak for itself.

Like fragments of a dream

fallen apart

I've lost the final pieces

of my fragile heart...

I don't know how I'll find myself

but still, I have to try

Till I reach the ends of

this rainbow-colored sky...

"Alright~" The drum track played and Otoya followed it the best he could. I gripped the mic in the stand trying to block out any extra whispering from haters in the crowd. I waited for my starting queue, and then I started to sing.

Running off of a flame that's fading

Trapped inside of a distant daydream

On a road that is ever-changing

Still, I know I must go!

Now I'm feeling my heart beat faster

Pulling forward and pushing backward

Take control and save my sorry soul

And make me whole!

Silence my fear - Take me from here!

As I slowly piece together

everything I've seen

In this never-ending dream,

I am trying to break free!

From this carousel of memories that aren't

really what they seem

Spinning fast and around me!

Until I find the one that

finally sets me free!

With the last few notes, Otoya and the drum track end simultaneously. The audience was silent before erupting into cheers that were much louder than before I sang. Seeing people genuinely cheering me on made me smile. I was finally able to sing without my normal feeling of guilt, or fear that I'd lose my voice. And that was something I hadn't felt in a long time.

"MELODY-CHAN! I LOVE YOU!" Natsuki couldn't help but yell before Otoya and I rejoined the others backstage. "YOU WERE SO CUTE! I HAVE TO HUG YOU!" Syo and Masato body-blocked the tall blonde before he could come near me. I flinched falling backward into Ren's chest.

"You were on fire, Lady." He smiled holding my shoulders. "I knew you had that passion in you."

"Did you now?"

"Of course~" He planted a rose in my hair before I could stop him. I pouted, making him chuckle to the point of showing teeth in his smile.

"Mel! You were so cool!" Tomo hugged me as pair number nine went on. "Isn't that right, Haruka? Tsubasa?!"

"Yes! You were amazing!"

"Without a doubt." Tsubasa's complement was flat, unlike his normal tone of speech. I then remembered the bad blood between us. I knew it was time to apologize.

"Tsubasa-kun, I~"

"Excuse me." I wanted to, but the salt and pepper haired male excused himself away from us feeling out of place near me. I couldn't blame him after I had hurt his feelings like that. All I could do was try again.

When the others finished doting on my performance, I walked across the room towards Tsubasa. Unfortunately for me, he was occupied, speaking with Tokiya. Aruhi and Serena were also with them, having finally returned backstage for Tokiya's performance. I swallowed more than saliva before approaching the group. "Excuse me. Tsubasa-kun." Tsubasa's amber eyes widened, surprised that I had dared to venture near them. Tokiya seemed to feel the same but stayed quiet about it. Aruhi and Serena didn't even seem to acknowledge me, turning their heads away. I just went with this dynamic, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you like that." I almost bit my tongue trying to get out the next words, "Rather, yelling at all of you. I pointed the finger like a two-year-old, and none of you deserved that. All of you are respected students at the academy, no matter how you act, and should be treated like such. I apologize." Tokiya gave me a warm smile.

Unlike what I suspected he'd do, Tsubasa folded his arms and blatantly refused my apology. "I don't except that."

I frowned, "Why not?" Tokiya waited for his response as well.

"It's not like you believe that. I don't want you to apologize because you felt you had to, Senpai." Tsubasa said. "I have plenty of secrets, ones that I'm not willing to share. And I know that bothers you. So don't act like it doesn't just to suck up to me. It's not like you." I was at a loss for words.

"Tsubasa-kun. Melody is doing her best to befriend you again. It's not like her to get humble just for anyone." Tokiya spoke for me. "I believe she's truly apologetic."

Hearing that, Tsubasa sighed. "'Know yourself. Stand up and be yourself, no matter what they say.'" Tokiya's and my eyes widened. "A girl like you should stick by your own morals. The same ones you once used to preach."

"You..."

"...knew me as an idol."

Tsubasa's face finally bore a smile. A small, sad one. "I was a fan. Aruhi-chan too."

"Tsubasa-sama!" Aruhi turned her whole body away embarrassed. Her use of -sama struck me as odd, but I let it go. "Oh no..." Serena scoffed at her "friend's" actions.

"There was even a time when Serena too, admired you and HAYATO. Which is why she's so bitter towards you I bet." Serena's face contorted.

"Don't put words in my mouth!"

"Oh no...Oh no! Oh no!" Aruhi's moans grew louder. She sounded almost in pain.

"Aruhi?" Tsubasa called out. Aruhi had dropped to her knees holding her head. "Are you good?!"

"Oi! Pull yourself together!" Serena yelled at her.

"But Serena-chan! Tsubasa-sama!" She looked at me before looking at the ground again, "I don't know if I can...I just~!" Serena pulled Aruhi to her feet.

"You! Calm down! Let's get a drink!" The short-haired brunette pulled the shy long-haired bluenette away from us. Tokiya caught her round glasses before they hit the floor.

"Those two...they haven't changed at all." Tsubasa looked after them worriedly before turning his attention back to us. He leaned against the wall, "That should give you an idea of how long we've known one another. Now you know, you both are one of the reasons, we all became interested in music." Tokiya's eyes twinkled. I felt something stir in my heart as well. "Unlike, Serena-chan, I can't be bitter towards my idol. We're cool. KaSakura-senpai." I touched my heart in relief. Tsubasa's sad smile warmed into a happy one. "...Only if you hug me." He held out his arms. I flicked him in the forehead before embracing him.

"I choose to trust you, Salt and Pepper." I whispered playfully.

Tsubasa closed his eyes, "That's fine. For now." He responded. His incredulous words nagged at me, but once more I ignored it.

After a minute, Tsubasa's eyes narrowed in the direction his friends had left. "I'm gonna go make sure they come back in time for the performance." Tsubasa then walked off after them.

Tokiya closed his eyes, "Way to go. I knew you could do it." I socked him in the shoulder. He held it immediately. I hugged the dark-haired bluenette before he could recoil. "M-Melody-chan?"

"Being friends is so hard~" I pouted. He stared down at me. I smiled up at him in return, "But not impossible." Tokiya's eyelids lowered with a small smile of his own.

"And finally, we have #10! With his song, Orpheus! Ichinose Tokiya-kun!"

"Tokiya-kun!"

"They're calling you onstage!"

"Hai!" Tokiya gave me one last hug. "KaSakura, listen to my song." He told me while pulling away. "I've put my all into this song. You'll love it, I just know it."

"And when it's finished~!" Tokiya glanced back at me, "There's something...I'd like to show you myself! Give to you, actually!" Tokiya nodded before moving closer to the stage steps.

"Um, Ichinose-kun? Hallo?" The announcer called out.

Tokiya faced the others on the stage staircase. "I'm supposed to perform with Aruhi-chan. Does anyone know where she is~!"

"She's right here!" Bolting back into the backstage room, Serena pushed Aruhi towards Tokiya.

Tokiya caught her in time, "Aruhi-chan, are you okay to perform?"

"Ichinose-kun, I~!"

"Of course she is!" Serena jumped onto the stairs and pushed them further towards the stage. "Just get out there! They're going to skip you two!"

"...S-She's right." Aruhi swallowed, "I'll be okay." Tokiya glanced at her once more, before they stepped out onto the stage. Out of breath, Tsubasa ran back inside just in time, shutting the door behind him.

"Tsubasa? What took you so~" Tsubasa suddenly zoomed past me and everyone else to climb the stairs and reach Tokiya.

"Ichinose-senpai! WAIT!" He yelled from the side of the stage. All of us were "There's something you have to know!" Serena visibly gritted her teeth.

Tokiya looked to him before approaching Shining. "There's no time. You'll have to tell me after!" He whisper-shouted before turning back to the audience. After being approved by Shining. Aruhi led him to the mic stand.

"It'll be too late! Please stop! You're making a mistake!" Ren and Natsuki pulled the shouting male back so that the curtains would close.

"What is your problem?! Tsubasa!?" Masato yelled at him. Tsubasa seemed to be at a loss for words. He slunk down to his knees.

"Don't worry about him. He's just in shock." In Natsuki's hold, Tsubasa slowly turned to Serena.

"You..." Tsubasa was shaking, "What have you done!?"

"Me? Don't you mean "them"? I had almost no hand in this." Serena gave him a cynical smile, "Regardless~I only carried out your will." The familiar words struck me like lightning. They were said by the girl in the theatre mask in the dream world. It makes sense that it could have been her counterpart.

"I didn't ask you to do that! You heartless witch!" Tsubasa yelled at me. "Get off of me!" Tsubasa ripped out of Natsuki's grip. "You're dead to me! Why are you even here?! Get out!" Tsubasa's sudden hate towards Serena was shocking.

"You'll thank us later." Serena left just as he wanted. "Checkmate." When the doors closed Tsubasa's shoulders shrunk.

Across the room, Otoya, Haruka, Syo, and Tomo were watching Aruhi and Ichinose on stage. "Guys! He's about to start!"

"Tsubasa-kun, what was it?" Ren asked him as the rest of us joined them near the backstage monitor. "What did she do?"

Tsubasa ignored the strawberry-blonde and stood at my side. "Melody-senpai, please listen to me!" Tsubasa started slowly. "You have to hear me out first!"

My eyebrows arched upwards, "What are you talking about, Tsuba~?"

Suddenly, a familiar sound touched my ears. I turned towards the TV everyone was surrounded by. On stage, Tokiya was at the mic stand in the middle of the stage and Aruhi was accompanying him on the piano behind him. Tokiya was silent as Aruhi played the introduction to his song. The arrangement seemed...vaguely familiar.

"~I had no idea what they were planning~!"

I analyzed Aruhi's hand placement on the piano. That seemed...familiar too.

"~Tokiya didn't either! You have to believe me~!"

Tsubasa's voice faded in and out as I listened. The beat, the tempo, the style...it was all familiar. I knew this song.

"If I had known...I would have done something!~He wouldn't have~I promise you~!"

When the arrangement sped up, my eyes widened. Tokiya lightly adlibbed with the music. A track of guitar could be heard combined with Aruhi's piano playing. Aside from the newly added guitar parts, I definitely knew this song. I knew this song.

Otoya stood up, "This song. I've heard it before." Everyone looked at him.

"What do you mean, Ittoki-kun?"

"Yeah. I have. This song..." Otoya gasped before looking at me worriedly. "This song...is..."

"Mine." My heart stopped. I tried to swallow but I couldn't. "This is my f****** song."

kono mune ni kizamareta

First Impact, Fast Soul Beat

seijaku ni yureru machi

ANJU no uta wa doko e?

samayotta meiro no hate

Just Feeling, Just Missing

ima kimi wa nani o negau?

"KaSakura-senpai! Oi! KaSakura-senpai!" Tsubasa shook me. I had tunnel vision as Tokiya danced left and right on stage. I couldn't hear anyone in the group calling my name, only Tokiya's pristine, god-like voice, singing along with Aruhi's piano playing. Singing the song, I had intended to give him...somehow before I had even done so.

Sing Your Song,

hanaretetemo wakaru yo

Hear My Wind,

tsunagatte iru sora wa hitotsu

...He looked like he was having such a good time.

kagirinai Brand-New Sky bokura wa

hitori ja nai kara

haruka na kimi no RABU SONGU

habataite!

shinjiyou Shiny Days futari no,

zettai teki na "ai no Heart Chain"!

We'll Have An Innocent Dream~Feel Me, Touch Me!

kono kodou ga mirai dakara!

sou, yoake o matsu sekai e...

hibike Orpheus Heart!

Aruhi's dramatic playing ended out Tokiya's so~performance along with the guitar track. I waited to hear the crowd's reaction. They screamed so freaking loud. So freaking, freaking loud...

"Me-chan?" Otoya had gotten Tsubasa to step away from me. He tried to touch my shoulder. I moved away before he could do so.

"That motherf***** stole my song." I wasn't in the right headspace to be near people. I only walked out of the backstage area before Tokiya could get off the stage properly. I heard the voices of my friends calling me to come back and I ignored them all. I needed some time to myself.

__________________

No one came after me for a while. I sat under a tree in the dormitories. It had started to rain lightly. I imagined the outdoor stadium had closed its roof already to protect its audience inside. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to make sense of what had just happened. I tried to add logic to the scenario to calm my nerves. But I was too angry to think rationally no matter how much I tried. The more I thought, the more furious I got. All I could say was that I was truly blinded by rage.

"Melody?"

My eyes opened abruptly. That voice...I almost lost my mind at that moment.

"...They're almost ready to announce the winners."

Is he serious?

Did he run in the rain all this way, just to tell me that?

I heard him swallow at the side of me. He was a small distance away. I figured he was trying his best to find a way to approach me. I knew that he knew I could go ballistic at any moment. I almost felt sorry for him.

After a few minutes, Ichinose Tokiya circled in front of me. With his dark-blue eyes wavering profusely he got the courage to confront me. "Melody. The last thing you want to hear is an apology, I know. But I'm going to anyway." The bluenette started, "Tsubasa told me everything. I am...so sorry. I had no idea, the song Aruhi had presented to me...wasn't hers." Thunder boomed behind him. "I'm asking you to believe me. You know that if I had known, I wouldn't have accepted it. I wouldn't have worked so hard...To think I used your own song against you..." Tokiya's eyebrows wrinkled as he gripped a fist. "Tsubasa swears he didn't know either. And Aruhi...she was influenced by Serena. She was the main one behind this. It was my fault for accepting them as a group. She used me, to get to you..." Tokiya teared up. "And that's...that's not okay!"

"How does the rest of the song go?"

"Huh?" Tokiya stared down at me.

"I asked how does the rest of the song go? Because I never finished it." Tokiya frowned. "That little piano riff she added at the end was genius tier. No one would ever suspect that there isn't anymore notes left to the song." I swung my legs out from my chest. "And guitar? Electric guitar? And even nicer touch."

"...that was my idea." Tokiya solemnly took the blame for that. "It made it more upbeat...closer to my style."

"You sound like you had so much fun with this." I looked up at him from under my bangs. I stood up to face him. "It definitely showed on stage. Mister Happy Feet."

Tokiya paled, "Melody, please understand. I~"

"SHUT UP!" I slammed my fist in the tree trunk behind me in time with the lightning. I saw Tokiya's distraught face. It was the saddest I had ever seen the bluenette out of all the years I had known him. It was obvious he was genuinely upset over this. He hadn't wanted to hurt me, and yet I was hurt. "You know that song was for you right?" I just couldn't find it in myself right then to let this go. "Otoya said to me that I had unconsciously written it as an apology to you. And I agreed with him. I had planned to give you to after the contest, but it went missing. Never did I realize...it would be stolen from me...ah ha ha ha." The water droplets on my bangs fell as I smoothed them back over the top of my head. "I watched you, sing the song I wrote...for you...before I could get the courage to even tell you about it. Do you know how that made me feel? Betrayed. And right after I had finally thought we were on good terms...something like this happens between us. Maybe we're not meant to be friends."

"Melody. No..." I wasn't blaming Serena for this. Not Aruhi, or Tsubasa, or myself. My enraged, vengeful spirit that refused to see the truth was choosing to blame the first one in my path. The same person I had been projecting my frustration towards all of these years.

Tokiya.

Like it was natural.

"Just like you put your heart in that song, I put mine in it too. What was left of it, anyway...That's why I was so hesitant to show anyone. Watching someone steal that before my very eyes...Do you know what it feels like?" There was a dullness in my purple eyes. "It feels like I lost my soul. Again."

Tokiya tackled me into a hug, "I'm sorry Melody! I really am! Please forgive me! Please!" He cried, "Never. Never in my life have I ever wanted to see you hurt! I swear to you!"

The rain fell much harder than before. But I didn't care. I pushed Tokiya away from me. I lightly pushed against his chest a couple of times. My fists then balled and those pushes turned into punches. This aggressiveness escalated until Tokiya, who was being pushed backward, was on the ground. He held his arms across him defensively as I punched him everywhere but his face. Hard. "You should have known! YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN IT WAS MINE! You a-hole!" I screamed. I was being unreasonable, but I couldn't help it. I had completely lost myself. Hell. I didn't even feel like Melody anymore. "You knew me! You knew me! I TRUSTED YOU!" My hands suddenly slide to his throat. Tokiya reflexively gripped my hands. "YOU! I COULD NEVER BE FRIENDS WITH YOU! NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU BEG ME!" My grip tightened and Tokiya's did too. But then it didn't.

"F-Fine." Tokiya dropped his arms on either side of him. "If...that's what...you want..."

I gritted my teeth. I was getting no satisfaction from this, and yet I continued with it. "Even if you look like that...I can't forgive you...No matter how badly you make me feel about it~I don't care how much it eats away at me! It still hurts...IT HURTS TOKIYA!"

"KASAKURA!" Masato tackled my body off of Tokiya. He left me on the ground to tend to Tokiya, who was left coughing for air. "Ichinose! Are you okay!?" The other boys all ran up towards us. Before any of them could help me up, I stood up myself.

"I hate you. I HATE YOU! TOKIYA!" I ran away further into the storm. I ran to the only place I know wouldn't be full of people. I needed to be alone.

__________________

For the next few days, Haruka slept in whatever room Tomo had bunked in. I locked myself away in my dorm room. I got calls and texts day and night, but I didn't reply to anyone. I had missed a bunch of classes and I didn't want to hear shite from anyone. Finally, a weekend hit.

Around 4 pm on a Saturday, I sat up in my room wrapped inside in my bedspread. I was far beyond moving out of the academy and I just...wanted to get away. Then suddenly something caught my eye. A small indigo orb of light bounced playfully In front of my face. I was positive I wasn't in the dream world, but still, it was there and I saw it. The ball was my essence.

It wanted me to follow it somewhere. And for some reason, I felt the need to oblige it.

So, in my pajamas, I left the dormitory for the first time in weeks, regardless of the people staring at me and whispering. I walked along the dirt trail behind the school to the forest area. I think I may have even passed Ringo-sensei. I don't know. I wasn't really focusing on the world around me.

I should have known that I'd end up in the pavilion area. The ball of light danced around the structure before heading out to the lake. I stopped at the bank and watched as it dived in. The desire to take my essence back overpowered me. This ball of light is in the dream world, isn't it? I should be fine.

Taking my slippers off I dipped into the cold water. I reached down to grab it, but it moved further in the water. I let my head gently peek underwater to see the essence. I reached again, but it went deeper. I dived underwater. My essence traveled further and further away. I followed it before it disappeared from my sight. I put everything I had in trying to save it, but it wasn't enough. I covered my mouth as I cried. My passion for music had left me once again. I was left cold, wet, and sad.

'The dream world is a lie. And so is...this life.' I thought still underwater. It hadn't dawned on me yet that my crying was silent. Not that I was choking either. In that moment, I had forgotten how to breathe. I held my neck trying desperately to get air. My legs gave out in the panic and dropped deeper underwater. 'I'm going to drown. Even though I can swim. How pathetic...' Everything became blurry, and I grew dizzy. The sensation is so real that I know for a fact I'm not in the dream world. 'But maybe, it's for the best.' I stopped struggling against the current. What did I have to lose? Everything. But I had...nothing. That's how I felt. Nothing to live for. I mean, if I couldn't do what I loved in the world I was living in...what was the point of being there? I closed my eyes in acceptance.

Suddenly I felt a hand grab my own. It lifted me out of the lake and into their arms. "What were you thinking? Making me use my magic to save you...do you like being rescued?" There was a voice. I couldn't figure out who it was. "Did you really think I was going to let you leave me before we met again?" I was too out of it to make the connection. And I couldn't see their face. "Now please, wake up, My Princess. Wake up and live!"

"We will meet again. Very soon. My promise to you~"

"Me-chan?" I wake up in reality, coughing out water into the grass along the bank. A figure hovered over me, arms on both sides of me. "...Melody! Thank goodness it worked! You're alive!" Ittoki Otoya swung his uniform jacket around me and hugged me for dear life. He looked like he had been crying. "I'm so glad you're okay!"

"Why...did you save me?" I had never seen the boy look so pissed in my life.

Otoya sat back catching his breath, "I thought you were going to die. That I wouldn't save you in time!" The redhead doesn't answer the question.

"You...with your kind heart...decided to rescue me. Me of all people..." I teared up, "...Why, why do you have to care about others so much!? Why do you care about someone like me?" I pulled my hands to my face. Otoya was silent for a moment. He carefully chose what he wanted to say.

"...I don't even know myself." Or so I thought. He laid back in the grass and pondered, "I wonder why... Let's see. Is it because you're my friend? No. Is it because I cherish you as a classmate and partner in crime? Nuh-uh. Is it because you've looked out for me since we met at the academy? Can't be..." I noticed my heart starting to skip a beat. "It's probably because you're a rich girl, who's had idol experience before, and I just want you to be indebted to me. Yup, that's totally it." He closed his eyes.

"Oh. I see." I looked at the ground, "I can't blame you for that. I'd want the same thing in your shoes."

"Is that so?" Otoya opened his eyes and stared at the cerulean sky. After a few seconds, he flipped himself upright to stare me down. "THERE'S NO WAY IN HECK THAT'S THE REASON!" He slapped my cheeks like I had done to him earlier. "You're my best friend! I wouldn't want anything to happen to you! Ever!" He yelled at me, "Losing one song isn't enough to give up on life over! No matter how painful it was to lose it! You have to live in order to write another one! And another one...and another after that! There are many songs you have left to write and sing! You just haven't thought of them yet! But you have to be here when you do!"

"Otoya-kun." My lips quivered.

"I understand that you're having a tough time right now, I know you are. But you can't hold all of that inside of you!" Otoya placed a hand to his heart. "If you have pain, give some to me too, and I'll help you bear it. Just don't do things like this ever again! I was really worried about you!" His speech brings me to full-on tears. Otoya hugged me tightly.

"He's right." Masato and Natsuki hovered over the two of us. "This is nothing worth losing your life over. And I'll scold you at a later date." Masato kneeled beside us. "But you have more to live for than you think you do."

"I don't want to live in a world without you, Melody-chan." Natsuki dropped to his knees putting his face in mine. "I'll share any burden you want me too! Me, Syo, Masato, Otoya...and everyone else! I hate seeing you upset like this, so let's stay together! Always!"

"Masa...Nacchan~" I finally couldn't take it anymore. I cried like a baby in between the three of them. "I'm sorry! I promise~!" The three of them sat with me at the pavilion until I felt better. I felt lucky to be surrounded by such kind-hearted people. And it was them that would help me carry on.

__________________

TOKIYA: If you ever feel alone, just call my name and I'll be there. UtaPri.

__________________

MPK: So yeah. This chapter got a little dark. This was always the plan, as I had in my notes though. Sometimes to grow stronger, you got to experience a little pain. But then you get through it, and you'll feel on top of the world again soon.

It should go without saying, but I feel the need to say this. If you or anyone you know, has any doubts about living life and such, take it one day at a time and most importantly talk to someone! There is always someone caring about you! Even when you don't know it! You're never alone on this planet, I promise~!

The song Zoetrope is the opening for the anime, Amnesia, by the way. I used the English version of the lyrics. Another decent anime worth checking out sometime. I might keep it, it might be a place holder song, I don't know. We'll see.

With that, I'll see ya next time~!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120K 2.9K 24
A book of Utapri Various x reader oneshots! Requests are closed! ^o^)> Oneshots: ♪Magazine(Syo x reader) ♪Movie(Ai x reader) ♪Smile Magic(Otoya x rea...
265K 6.7K 30
[[COMPLETED]] You, (Y/n) (L/n), are a composer for one of the popular idol group, Quartet Night. You've known the group since day 1 of the Master C...
12.2K 529 12
Cecil's plea to the muses did not turned out so well... Set after the UtaPri award, the idol group found themselves in a very...interesting situation...
76.9K 2.4K 61
Just a girl who had entered Saotome Academy even though she doesn't want to. She meets others and her life slowly changes into something better. Will...