Her // Joe Goldberg (COMPLETE...

By kitkatzoo2

He promised himself that all would be different after the tragic death of Guinevere Beck and he never expecte... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26

9

3.5K 88 5
By kitkatzoo2

"You're deluded. A creep" Max spat with his head in his hands, he is knees were to his chest on the floor of the cage and he seemed to be thinking, before this moment I thought this man hadn't a thought in his head so I didn't want to disturb him. "Y'know, being down here has made me think, there's a lot I want answers to, like why didn't Kelsey just stay in bed ? Why did she have to run and into your bookstore to buy the present. Why did it have to be your bookstores, there's probably hundreds in New York" he questioned and all I could do was sigh. "The day she bought the book wasn't her first time here" I corrected with my hands in my pockets, I need the upper-hand here, I had to look calm. He slowly looked up at me, he was intrigued, my tactic was working. "She came here the night before, red dress, Doc Martens, low bun. Yeah, she was here, hiding, I assume from you, then you stormed passed and out she ran. She came back the next day embarrassed and gave me her card" I began, I was trying to get in his head but he stopped me. "What's your plan Joe ?" he asked, he was trying to do the exact same thing.

"If Kelsey's the end goal, you won't succeed. All you'll do is scare my son. How's he supposed to live without me ?" he said smugly, he saw himself as someone people needed and I just had to put him in his place. "He's doing perfectly fine with Kelsey" I said bluntly, the statement hurt him but he'd never let on how much. Then he started holding his stomach, it was growling, he was hungry because I hadn't fed him and I didn't plan on it. He doesn't deserve food, he won't be down here much longer.

The store must've been open ten minutes when I was greeted by Honey holding hands with Cody. She smiled at her and pushed the little boy towards the counter. I already had a headache and she hadn't said a word, how do you share a living space with her ? I guess I'd soon find out when I take my rightful place as your boyfriend. "He loves it here. I was bringing him for ice cream and he just kept begging me to come here. Cant say no to his little face, isn't that right Cody ? You were begging me the whole walk here ?" she said while poking his back but he shook his head. He didn't want to be here, he wanted ice cream, Honey just needed an excuse to be. She leant her on the counter and stared at me, it was nothing compared to the way you stare at me. You, Kelsey, stared at me like the whole world stopped turning just because we were together, she didn't, she looked at me like I were traipsing the streets of the Red Light District.

"How's Kelsey" I asked, I had to make sure you were alright, Honey responded by rolling her eyes, typical. "Terrible, she fell asleep outside last night, she's probably still there now" she said bluntly while staring at her nails like the whole situation was normal, like you sleeping in the grass was a normal thing to do. "You didn't check on her ?" I asked, my voice was raised slightly and I didn't mean it, honestly, I didn't but I couldn't believe she'd leave you like that. She let out an audible, dramatic sigh and looked up. "I didn't see a point. She goes to the gym on Saturdays, Len will pick her up. She'll be fine, the princess alwaus is" she clarified, she was annoyed that I was asking about you. She picked up my pen and started playing with it. She kept whispering to herself, she was planning on saying something.

"You and I-" she began but I was too quick to shake my head. "Honey-" I tried to begin but she cut me off. "I know, I was an embarrassment last night. I was really really nervous and I talk a lot when I get nervous but I just wanted to know-" she continued but I took myself out of reality. How was I supposed to answer what she was about to ask ? Was she blind ? Could she not see what you and I had last night ? I could just say I was seeing someone but then she'd tell you and you'd think the kiss was meaningless to me when it wasn't. I could just tell her about us last night but that was revealing you cheated on your boyfriend and Cody was standing right next to her. "I'm interested in someone else" I said straight out, I'd interrupted her, she was taken by surprised and I couldn't take it back.

"Kelsey" she said, I could feel her heart shatter infront of me. I didn't say anything, what could I say to make this any better ? "Kelsey" she shouted while throwing her hands in the air. "Of course you're  interested in Kelsey" she said bitterly before storming out of the store, leaving standing innocently and helplessly infront of me. I tried to call her back but it was a useless, she used Cody as a ploy to see me and once she had her answer she didn't need him. "I guess you're stuck with me until Kelsey comes" I said as his whole face lit up. "I get to stay here all day ?" He asked as I shrugged. "Unless you have a kindergarten I can drop you off at" I joked but he didn't take it as one. "Dad stopped taking me a couple of months ago" he said through a smile before walking into the children's section. Of course, what else could I have expected from Max.

He was quiet and content so I took this opportunity to check your phone activity. You were an hour late to work but seemed to be there and planned on going to the gym with Len afterwords. Eddi checked in and you told her you'd taken so many painkillers you felt like you were floating but felt way better because you weren't nauseous. No mention of the guy you kissed last night but you also couldn't tell anyone because you were technically still dating Max. Your brothers checked in on you, Reece asked if you ate, how much water you drank and if you went to work, he was genuinely interested and/or concerned while Justin sent you memes about runaway boyfriends and hangovers, I could see the different relationship you had with them instantly.

You were alright, you weren't complaining about anything so I checked Max's phone. Nona was sending text after text telling him to come home, that as much as she hated him, she couldn't see you go through a mental breakdown. Interesting, she thought one was pending, she couldn't be more wrong, I'd fix this. Len though, he was really blowing it up, saying he covered for Max but wanted to know if he was okay. I ignored it, I couldn't fall into yet another trap of Max only texting when he's lying. That was when my phone blew up yet again with texts from Honey to you. She's your friend Kelsey, o understand that but she's starting to irritate me. She told you what happened and you brushed it off with a "It probably came as a shock. You two don't really know each-other :/". It did, I'm glad you understand me Kelsey. She tried to say I was interested in you but once again, you brushed it off. Of course you did, you don't have time for this nonsense, not with your lifestyle.

That was my only problem until I was standing inside your favourite ice-cream store, the one right by Insanity, Scoops. I was simply buying Cody a small tub of bubblegum and strawberry ice-cream when I saw your response. You were mid-telling him about Max, you didn't go into as much detail with Justin, it's why he only sent a meme but Reece, Jesus, you told him every single thought. "Y'know, I used to be afraid of the door opening and him coming home now I'm scared of it never opening again and him leaving me forever" is a text you sent which will forever give me chills. He ranted about how he refused to see you become a single mother to a child that isn't even yours but that's where he's wrong. You'll never become a single mother because we will be together and give him the best life. I don't know how many more times I need to express this. You didn't respond until Cody and I were back at the store so I saw it as the perfect opportunity to call you.

You gave me a groggy hello, you were severely sleep deprived and I couldn't blame you, you were left to sleep outside which, of course, would never happen had you been with me. "Cody's here" I began as I heard you gasp on the other side of the phone. "That half-wit left him there all of that time" you asked, you were in shock, this was an obvious and foreseeable reaction. "She did but seriously, he's no trouble, I barely knew he was here" I tried to reassure you as I brought a bag of ice-cream over to your favourite couch right next to the classics.

You inhaled for what felt like years and exhaled for longer. "I'll be ten minutes" you said bluntly and before I could even speak, you hung up. "Kelsey will be here in ten" I said through a mouthful of ice cream to the boy who'd never be yours biologically but the boy who belonged to you in every other way. "I don't want to leave" he protested through a sigh, all I could do was smile back. It's nice to have someone who wants to be around you even if that person is a five year old who genuinely believes his dad is just sleeping off a hangover because that's what he's used to. "Do you honestly think Kelsey will leave right away ?" I asked, it was rhetorical, we both knew you wouldn't.

In you swooped exactly ten minutes later, on the dot. You were out of breath in work clothes, wearing ridiculous sunglasses that took up half of your face. "Sorry" you said with your hands on your knees just trying to catch your breath as Cody and I just looked at you, dazed. Eventually, you looked up at us and smiled. "I wonder what you two have been eating ?" you questioned in a goofy voice because the answer was all over Cody's face. "What's that I see ? Bubblegum, strawberry, chocolate" you began listing as Cody reached into the bag and handed you a rub. "Reese's peanut butter cup" he said excitedly as your smile grew even bigger. "Thank you. I really needed this" you said gratefully before walking off to browse the shelves.

You took the sunglasses off and shook your mane of hair out of the bun to really relax. I noticed you massaging the back of your head as you slowly made your way around the store, it had been a long day and you were going to take your time. You had your own routine now, you began scanning the spines of the books. This was interesting to me, you've only ever scanned the classics but this time you were shopping for yourself, you deserved it.

Where were you going to go ? Jane Austen ? You're educated, you wouldn't have difficulty reading her books. Virginia Wolfe ? A strong female writer and proud feminist. John Greene ? Are you the type to cry at a good book ? Are you looking for a way to let your emotions out ? No one would blame you. Are you looking for the book of a movie adaption ? You stopped at thriller. Who on earth were you going to to buy ? You did the same thing you did the day I met you, you let your fingers preform across the spines, this book was going to choose you. You found one after four minutes of looking and walked up to the counter.

I was still too dazed to notice, I'd always be in a daze as long as I was with you. I couldn't believe you stopped at thriller. "Hello, can I get some service round here" you joked in an exaggerated New York accent so I stood up and walked to serve you. Stephen Kings IT, I wouldn't have said you were pale enough for him but I made the exact same presumption about Beck even though he wasn't the one he choose. "Interesting choice" I said and this time you let me ring you up. "I hate to be that person but I've watched the movie and only now have I decided to read the book" you said cringing at yourself as I just shook my head disapprovingly. You laughed, you found it funny. "I have to go to Scoops after this" you said, your fingers were drumming against the counter.

"Not another ice cream" I said sarcastically through an over-exaggerated sigh as you leant over and swatted me from across the counter. "No. I have to buy Honey some feel better ice cream. Some asshole broke her heart today" you said with your eyebrows raised, I couldn't even look at you. "Im kidding, I don't blame you. She's too full on for her own good" you said through a nod, you weren't bringing up last night, you weren't awkward. "Last night was-it was fun" I commented, I needed to see how you felt about it or how would I ever know ?, you handed me the 12.50 for the book and continued to smile. I could see you trying to remember, your head was titled, you were really smiling until reality hit you like a truck. "Oh no. I honestly don't remember much of it. How embarrassing is that ? Why ? What did I do ? I woke up in the backyard" you explained before covering your mouth as I looked at you in awe. I could listen to you ramble on for an eternity. "Well, you told me about your brothers logic about stars" I said as you sucked in a breath, that hit a nerve.

You for fidgety then, you started twisting your hair into a bun. "I shouldn't have told you that" you said bluntly as I shook my head. "No, it's alright-" I began but you sent a cold, hard stare my way. "I shouldn't have" you said annoyed and I left you be. This was clearly a sensitive topic for you, family would always be. You calmed down after a second and kept trying to piece things together to remember until your whole face dropped.

"Oh-oh god. Oh no. We kissed" you said like you were going to throw the ice cream you'd just devoured up all over the hardwood. You didn't mean it, it was the shock. "We did" I said through a nod as I handed you your book and you nodded back at me. "O-oh god" you whispered while running a hand along your face, you looked like you were going to sob any second, I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow, you do not think I'm that revolting, do you ?. "I've cheated" you said slowly, trying to wrap your head around it as I shook my head. "It was a peck" I said trying to reason with you, trying to stop you from running out and never seeing you again. "Right pecks are harmless, they hardly mean anything" you said trying to assure yourself as you picked your book off the table. You saw our kiss as insignificant, meaningless, a drunken mistake.

I was left standing there like a fool trying to catch a fly in his mouth, you smiled, waved awkwardly and took Cody's hand. You left me speechless but I know you didn't mean it. I know you felt it too, you're just tied to Max right now. You couldn't tell me you enjoyed it, not with Cody sitting a few feet away from us.

I thought my heart was been broken one time too many that day until I got home. I took the picture off the wall connecting me to Max's apartment and observed. You were there, not with Honey, you blew her off. Cody had his head on your lap, he was fast asleep and you were nibbling your white acrylics trying not to cry. I watched you pick up your phone, dial a phone number and wait for it to answer. They didn't, this was inevitable so you left a message. "Max" you said, you had your composure, I was proud of you. "I can't do this" you then cried out, the tears won. "How do I live without you ? Please tell me b-because Len, he's your friend as much as I want to say he's mine and Cody. Cody needs his dad, he wants answers and I don't have them. Please. Please. Come home. I-I'll stop wearing red, I'll eat more salads, I'll sell all three plane tickets, fuck it, I'll even give the bookstores accounts to someone else. Just. Come home. I love you"

Well fuck, I need Max gone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

254K 4.9K 49
Secrets , lies , love , heartbreak. He was nothing but trouble but so was she. All Rights Reserved to marastattoos 2017 ©
22.6K 1K 18
Where a girl likes her bestie, but she's dating this guy that peach doesn't really get a good vibe from and to be honest, she wants to get rid of him...
303K 13.6K 45
Thrown into the bustle of Atlanta after leaving New York, Britney "B" Williams is forced to adapt to a new normal. Not knowing what to expect she uni...
217K 5.6K 17
when joe goldberg is fresh from his breakup with beck, he has gotten used to life alone. but all that is swept away when pure and sweet charlie sim...