9

"You're deluded. A creep" Max spat with his head in his hands, he is knees were to his chest on the floor of the cage and he seemed to be thinking, before this moment I thought this man hadn't a thought in his head so I didn't want to disturb him. "Y'know, being down here has made me think, there's a lot I want answers to, like why didn't Kelsey just stay in bed ? Why did she have to run and into your bookstore to buy the present. Why did it have to be your bookstores, there's probably hundreds in New York" he questioned and all I could do was sigh. "The day she bought the book wasn't her first time here" I corrected with my hands in my pockets, I need the upper-hand here, I had to look calm. He slowly looked up at me, he was intrigued, my tactic was working. "She came here the night before, red dress, Doc Martens, low bun. Yeah, she was here, hiding, I assume from you, then you stormed passed and out she ran. She came back the next day embarrassed and gave me her card" I began, I was trying to get in his head but he stopped me. "What's your plan Joe ?" he asked, he was trying to do the exact same thing.

"If Kelsey's the end goal, you won't succeed. All you'll do is scare my son. How's he supposed to live without me ?" he said smugly, he saw himself as someone people needed and I just had to put him in his place. "He's doing perfectly fine with Kelsey" I said bluntly, the statement hurt him but he'd never let on how much. Then he started holding his stomach, it was growling, he was hungry because I hadn't fed him and I didn't plan on it. He doesn't deserve food, he won't be down here much longer.

The store must've been open ten minutes when I was greeted by Honey holding hands with Cody. She smiled at her and pushed the little boy towards the counter. I already had a headache and she hadn't said a word, how do you share a living space with her ? I guess I'd soon find out when I take my rightful place as your boyfriend. "He loves it here. I was bringing him for ice cream and he just kept begging me to come here. Cant say no to his little face, isn't that right Cody ? You were begging me the whole walk here ?" she said while poking his back but he shook his head. He didn't want to be here, he wanted ice cream, Honey just needed an excuse to be. She leant her on the counter and stared at me, it was nothing compared to the way you stare at me. You, Kelsey, stared at me like the whole world stopped turning just because we were together, she didn't, she looked at me like I were traipsing the streets of the Red Light District.

"How's Kelsey" I asked, I had to make sure you were alright, Honey responded by rolling her eyes, typical. "Terrible, she fell asleep outside last night, she's probably still there now" she said bluntly while staring at her nails like the whole situation was normal, like you sleeping in the grass was a normal thing to do. "You didn't check on her ?" I asked, my voice was raised slightly and I didn't mean it, honestly, I didn't but I couldn't believe she'd leave you like that. She let out an audible, dramatic sigh and looked up. "I didn't see a point. She goes to the gym on Saturdays, Len will pick her up. She'll be fine, the princess alwaus is" she clarified, she was annoyed that I was asking about you. She picked up my pen and started playing with it. She kept whispering to herself, she was planning on saying something.

"You and I-" she began but I was too quick to shake my head. "Honey-" I tried to begin but she cut me off. "I know, I was an embarrassment last night. I was really really nervous and I talk a lot when I get nervous but I just wanted to know-" she continued but I took myself out of reality. How was I supposed to answer what she was about to ask ? Was she blind ? Could she not see what you and I had last night ? I could just say I was seeing someone but then she'd tell you and you'd think the kiss was meaningless to me when it wasn't. I could just tell her about us last night but that was revealing you cheated on your boyfriend and Cody was standing right next to her. "I'm interested in someone else" I said straight out, I'd interrupted her, she was taken by surprised and I couldn't take it back.