Shift

By CassB0214

Sang just wanted a little space. She wanted out of the house, to have a little freedom before school started... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Author's Note
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Author's Note
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 1

5K 226 58
By CassB0214

Hello Everyone,

This is the first time I've ever posted anything that I've written. This story is tentative as I want to receive your constructive opinions on the first chapter as I continue writing. I've proofed the first chapter, but I may still go back and change a few things. Thank you!

~~~~~

All I had wanted to do was get away for the night. My senior year of high school was starting in a week, and the inside of my house where I had been locked away became stifling. My mother would have a conniption if she knew that I was out of the house in the middle of the night. I couldn't resist the forest though. It had called to me. Still, it wasn't my best idea to take a walk in the middle of the night in an area that I wasn't familiar with. Especially since it started downpouring. I was soaked to the bone.

Why hadn't I checked the weather before I left? Why hadn't I decided to wear a heavier jacket? Every little sound had me looking over my shoulder. Was it leaves rustling in the wind or was it a man come to rape me just like my mother always said would happen?

My plain white off-brand shoes made a squelching sound as I lifted my foot. They were soaked through and covered in mud. I stopped walking and turned around. When I left the house, I had decided to walk north. If I walked south, maybe I would be able to find the house. I closed my eyes and felt for north. I've always had a keen sense of direction. Most likely from spending so much time in the woods. Opening my eyes, I turned a little and started heading back. I made it about five yards before I heard a noise behind me. A noise that sounded suspiciously like a growl.

My heart thundered under my breast as I stood frozen. I was from Illinois. I never really had to worry about wildlife. I wasn't sure how to properly react. Should I just stand here and not move? Should I make a run for it? Drop to the ground and curl in a ball?

A branch snapped behind me and my body decided for me. My eyes had locked on a sturdy looking tree, I sprinted for it. My bruised knees complained at the movement. I jumped at a low-hanging branch, catching it with my hands. I started pulling myself up using my feet to kick off the tree.

Something sharp clamped down on my ankle and I cried out. I looked down into a pair of bright yellow eyes. Sharp white teeth glistened in the moonlight, gripping my ankle just hard enough to keep me from moving. I kicked my other foot out, hitting the animal in the snout. There was a yelp and I was released.

I scrambled up onto the branch. The animal had backed up in a patch of moonlight that had broken through the trees. A whimper escaped my throat as I caught sight of the beast. It was a large gray wolf with black legs and fluffy black ears. In any other circumstances, the wolf would have been beautiful. However, my self-preservation told me that I should be fearful.

The wolf took off at a dead run heading straight for the tree I was in. My muscles all tensed as I struggled to maintain my balance on the slick branch. The wolf launched itself up the tree, almost using it like a springboard it kicked off with its hind legs twisting as it aimed itself straight for me. My hands fisted around handfuls of wet fur as we toppled off the branch. I crashed to the ground with a very heavy wolf on my chest. There was an audible crunch and all the air rushed from my lungs just as my skull bounced off the ground.

My ears were ringing, and black spots threatened to consume my vision as I struggled for air. I struggled to focus on the wolf that straddled me. Something cold and wet pressed against my throat just as a hot burst of air warmed my skin. The wolf's eyes narrowed on my face before it dragged it's nose down to the junction where my neck met my shoulder. With viper-like speed, the wolf's teeth pierced my skin. A broken scream left me as I succumbed to the darkness.

-----

He awoke to a gentle breeze caressing his bare skin. Lifting his head, he slowly blinked his eyes open taking in the rising sun. It wasn't the first time he had found himself waking up in the woods. He shifted and bumped into something cool on the ground beside him. His brow furrowed if it was another deer carcass, he was going to have to have a serious chat with his wolf.

However, when he looked down at the figure lying there he paled, and his heart nearly stuttered to a stop. It was a small girl. He suddenly wished for it to be a deer.

He moved to his knees, leaning over the girl. Her pale skin was coated in mud, as were her clothes. Her blonde hair was a knotted mess. Her lips had taken on a blueish tinge. His eyes dropped to the delicate skin on her throat. The collar of her long-sleeved shirt was stained with blood. With shaking fingers, he dragged her shirt out of the way to reveal a perfect imprint of his teeth. Had he bitten her? He leaned closer to her and inhaled deeply. She smelled of him.

A rumble of satisfaction left his chest before he was able to stop it. His beast like her smelling of him, much to his displeasure.

Her stillness bothered him. He pressed a finger to her pulse point. Her heartbeat was slow but steady. He fell to the ground. He had given himself over to his wolf, only for his wolf to attack a beautiful girl. Nothing like this had ever happened before. If he weren't Alpha, his brothers would strangle him.

He pulled the girl into his arms before standing, hoping that she wouldn't wake and notice his nakedness. He sprinted to where he had left his things. His gray BMW sat in the middle of the forest, waiting for anyone to steal it. He was in such a rush last night that he hadn't even locked it.

After lowering the girl into the backseat, he quickly pulled on his clothes from the day before and slipped into the driver's seat. He started the vehicle and blasted the heat. Using his car's phone feature, he dialed his best friend. If anyone could help him get his thoughts in line, it would be Sean Green.

"Owen?" Sean's tired voice came over the line after a few rings.

"Sean," he choked out. "I think I've messed up."

Sean was immediately alert. "Are you hurt? Where are you?"

"My wolf took over last night?"

There was a strained chuckle, "did you find another deer carcass?"

Owen's wolf had been restless for the last several weeks. It had been becoming an issue. Sean was the only one who knew. They hadn't wanted to worry their brothers. They wouldn't be able to hide this though. There would be no hiding her.

"I hurt someone, Sean. A girl." Owen struggled to regain his composure.

There was silence, and then Sean was barking orders. Owen assumed that he was speaking to someone at the hospital. Sean wasn't an Alpha, but that was by choice. He had chosen a different path that didn't align with running a pack. Sean was too brilliant for that anyway. He was better suited as a doctor.

"I'm at Nathan's, bring her here. I've sent the boys out." Sean's voice was sharp, but Owen could hear his worry.

Owen ended the phone call without responding. He took a deep breath and let his body relax. He was better than this. Ever since he was young, he had been very good at controlling himself. The girl wasn't dead. He just needed to plan to help the girl. She was going to need it within the next few days.

It only took Owen fifteen minutes to get the Sunnyvale Court, the cul-de-sac on which two of his brothers lived. He pulled into Nathan Griffin's drive and stepped from the vehicle. His eyes went straight to the two-story gray siding-clad house, just two lots over. According to his brother Kota Lee, who lived across the street and a few houses down, a family of three had moved in a month ago.

He lifted the girl into his arms and headed into the one-story house. Sean waited by the door. His sandy blond curls were messy, and he had dark spots under his green eyes. Sean worked long hours at the hospital, and now they were about to be busier than ever doing an assignment for the Academy.

Sean's eyes widened as he took in the girl. "Owen, you attacked the future Mrs. Green." His voice was barely more than a whisper.

Owen grunted, choosing not to acknowledge the comment. They moved forward, laying the girl down on the couch. Her clothes were still damp, but her lips weren't blue anymore. Owen felt slightly better about that.

Sean moved over to her, drawing his stethoscope from his pocket. "We need to change her clothes. Do you have any of Lisa's clothes in your car?"

Owen's eye started to twitch at the female's name. She had been trying to get him to mate with her for years now. She didn't seem to understand that it wasn't going to happen. Owen wasn't quite sure how to tell her that he wasn't interested without being rude at this point.

"No." The word came out a growl. Owen watched Sean closely as he checked the girl over.

Sean grinned at him, knowing that he was getting under Owen's skin. "That'll have to wait. Her breathing is a little choppy. She may have cracked a few ribs, but I won't know for sure without x-rays. She has a contusion on the back of her head, and her pupils aren't responsive. I'd like x-rays of her head as well. Concussions can be pretty serious for humans."

Owen frowned; he hadn't realized that he had hurt her so badly. "Check the wound on her shoulder."

Sean scowled at him. "Who's the doctor here?" But he did as Owen asked. "Jesus, Owen, that's a near-perfect dental imprint. I better clean this before she gets an infection from your dirty mouth."

Sean began pulling things out of his bag to clean her up. Owen started pacing. Shouldn't she have woken up by now? He wanted to know her name. How old she was. Where she came from. He wanted to know everything.

"I've done all I can until we take her to the hospital. Why don't I look you over then you can shower and change? Jessica might have some clothes that will fit her." Sean stood, pausing only long enough to rub his thumb over the girl's cheek.

Owen nodded before heading out to his car. He kept an extra suit in the trunk. When he came back inside, he heard Sean moving about in the bathroom. The shower turned on just as he entered. Sean took the suit from his friend, before prodding at Owen's face.

"Your nose is a little swollen." Sean's lips twitched.

Owen exhaled roughly, "she kicked me in the face."

"Go Pookie!"

Owen stared at his friend blankly. The absolute delight in Sean's eyes made him question if they were friends.

"Pookie?" Owen asked blandly.

"What? It's a cute name for a cute girl." A small smile played on his lips. "Mrs. Green sounds even better though."

Owen's chest tightened. He didn't like the sound of the beautiful girl having his best friend and Beta's last name. And judging by his growl, his wolf liked it even less.

"Hurry up and shower. I'll raid Nathan's closet." Sean ignored him and moved swiftly out of the bathroom.

Owen showered in record time. As he pulled on his suit jacket, Sean burst into the bathroom. His eyes were wide and panicked.

"She's gone, Owen." The words left his mouth in a rush. "I went to check on her, and she was gone. I couldn't pick up her scent either."

Owen pushed past his friend to stare at the couch where the girl had been. "This morning I wasn't able to get a real scent either. I could only smell myself and the rain. How doesn't she have a scent?"

They moved outside, sniffing at the air. More yelling came from the gray house as well as the sound of glass shattering. He and Sean shared a look. They'd have to get information on the boys' neighbors. Before they moved in, this had been a quiet street.

The door to the house opened and slammed closed. A tall man with dark hair and dark eyes strode to his car. As if he felt eyes on him, he turned and stared at the two men before quickly getting into his vehicle and speeding it down the road. Their eyes went back to the now-silent house. Just as they headed inside, their sensitive ears caught a voice yelling. They heard it this time.

"Sang!" The voice was shrill and unpleasant.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Runaways By Ren

Fanfiction

68.1K 4.6K 27
This is an Academy Fan-fiction. So, if you haven't read the books then you probably won't get this at all. The characters are all CL Stone's and the...
138K 9K 53
An Academy Fanfiction about Sang as a little girl and her adventures with her Grandparents. The Blackbourne team are along for the ride as well. I...
171K 9.5K 35
Sang recently moved to Sergeant Jasper and meets the GB and the SB men one by one. This is a fanfiction based on the C.L. Stone Ghost Bird and Scarab...
191K 10.1K 64
**This is a fanfiction based off C.L. Stone's Ghostbird Series. Wren Nelson's only goal is to survive. She doesn't have room for anything else in he...