New Horizon [Morganville]

By pastaqueen

The Morganville Vampires fanfiction. New Horizon fanfic series book one out of three. Completed. Morganvill... More

A Note From The Author
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter One

4.1K 75 20
By pastaqueen

Claire Danvers’s mobile phone vibrated violently on her bedside table.

She had ignored it three times already, and this was the fourth time it had rung. She slowly reached for her phone and squinted down at the bright, blue screen. It was only typical, her crazy vampire boss, Myrnin, was calling her. Claire had deliberately ignored him for almost an entire week now, since he had let her and her friends believe that the draug, a vicious species that hunts and kills vampires, had killed her boyfriend, Shane. He had lied.

Claire pressed her thumb over the ignore button and she let the mobile drop to the floor. She took a moment to stare into nothingness, and then she turned on her side to find that Shane wasn’t asleep next to her. Probably not a good thing. She sat up suddenly and stared at the empty space in the bed. Shane had done a rough job of pulling the covers up, and it was easy to tell that someone had slept there recently.

It was only eight in the morning.

It was only normal for Shane to be sleeping in for another three or four hours, and it struck Claire as completely unusual that her boyfriend was missing from her bedroom. Quietly, accustomed to the Morganville behaviour, Claire slid out of the bed and softly walked out of her room. Her feet padded softly against the wooden floors, and she neared the closed bathroom door.

“Yeah?” Shane called out once he had heard the knock, his voice low and husky. 

Claire sighed in relief. “Hey, Shane, it’s me. Are you alright in there?” She wasn't waiting long until the door opened to reveal Shane wearing nothing but a pair of faded blue jeans. His hair was damp, as if he had just gotten out of the shower, but Claire couldn’t stop herself from looking at his chest. Shane chuckled, and his hands cupped her face as he brought his lips down to hers. It was the type of kiss that made Claire feel warm inside. "Well, good morning to you too,” she mumbled between kisses. “What are you doing up so early?”

Shane took in a deep breath, and he looked over her head. Anywhere but into her eyes, Claire realised. “I can’t sleep.”

She felt a wave of complete disappointment. Every one of the Glass house residents were struggling with the events that they had gone through, but Shane was suffering the worst. Claire sighed, a small breath of air that escaped from her lips, and she stroked his cheek.

Shane really needed to shave.

“I wish there was something I could do," she said.

"You just being here is all I need," Shane paused for a brief second. "Was that corny?"

"Incredibly," Claire grinned, and she pressed one last kiss to his lips as she stepped past him and into the bathroom. 

"Hey?" He protested, and his eyebrows furrowed. "Wasn't finished."

"Really need a shower. We can finish later."

And then Claire smiled, and she rolled her eyes as she shut the door on Shane's grin.

* * *

When Claire had finished showering and pulled on some jeans and a shirt, she made her way back to her room. It was almost nine by the time she had finished in the bathroom, and Shane had comfortably made himself at home in her bed. His feet still stuck out from under the sheets and Claire laughed. She climbed back into the bed with him, kicked off her shoes, and snuggled in close to the warmth of his chest when she felt the vibration.

“What the hell?” Claire blurted, and she jerked upright. 

Shane's grin was wicked. Satisfied that he had startled her, he pulled the phone out from beneath the thin sheets. “Count Dorcula is trying to reach you.”

"Great," Claire sighed as she snatched the phone from him and peered down at the screen. Seven missed calls. She sighed and chucked it onto her bedside table.

“You know, I'm happy that you're not with him twenty four seven anymore, I mean, believe me, I'm over the moon, but you can’t ignore him forever.” 

“You just watch me.”

An uncharacteristic sigh escaped from Shane's lips, and Claire almost frowned in uncertainty. “You always forgive him, Claire.”

"Not this time. I'm not going to, and I mean it."

Shane groaned, “Claire –”

Between the vibrating phone and arguing Shane, Claire felt trapped. She let out a shriek of frustration and picked up the phone. “What?” She demanded.

“Claire,” Myrnin said, “What have you been doing? I’ve been trying to reach you for so long!”

“I know. I’ve been ignoring you.”

Myrnin was silent for a moment before he said, “Please Claire. I am sorry, you must know how sorry I am.”

“I don’t care how sorry you are.”

“You can ignore me as much as you need to, but right this moment, I need your assistance.”

“No. I’m not helping you, I have an appointment with my pillow.”

“It’s Frank. He’s ill, and he needs your help.”

“Well, what am I supposed to do?”

“I have a hunch. I have donuts, Claire.”

She sighed, “Fine. Give me five minutes.”

“One minute.”

“Three.”

“Two?”

Claire sighed, “Fine, two minutes.” She hung up and looked to Shane. “If this is for nothing, I swear  to God I will kill him.”

“Tell me when you’re going to kill him. I’ll join you,” Shane said. "You know, I might even shove a stake up his ass." Claire kissed him lightly and slipped out of bed. 

“Out of my bed,” She said. “We’ve been over this before.”

“I didn’t move last time either.” Claire stopped and turned around to look at Shane.

“You are so lucky that I have to go right now.” Shane smiled and pulled a pillow over his face.

Claire rolled her eyes and made her way out of the room and to the portal. She so didn't need to be having pillow fights with Shane Collins.

* * *

Claire started speaking as soon as she stepped through the portal.

"Myrnin, I swear if this is for nothing, I have a stake and I have a really good idea of what I am going to do with it and-" She froze because Myrnin moved from where he was standing to reveal a brain.

Claire stared at it in horror.

"Ah, Claire," Myrnin said and walked towards her. He took her arm and pulled her towards the brain, "Thank the heavens that you are finally here."

"Myrnin," Claire started slowly. "Why is there a brain on the table?"

The vampire stared at Claire, his thick eyebrows furrowed, and then he looked back to the brain. After a short moment, his attention turned back to Claire. "I'm trying to fix him," He said simply. He picked up a syringe. "Hold this please."

Claire took the sharp object in her hand and stared down at it. "What," she began slowly, "Is going on?"

Myrnin rolled his eyes and gave her some type of rubber shape. Claire frowned, and she looked down at it as she handed back the syringe.

Claire felt the prick in her arm for a split second. It was all heat and quick tingles, and then it was all over. "What the hell are you doing?" Claire yelped. Myrnin ignored her, and waltzed to the other side of the lab and injected Claire's blood into the brain as he muttered almost silent comments to himself. Claire almost gagged.

"Frank needs help," he explained. "This is my hunch." 

"Well you know what? The next time you have a hunch, warn me instead of sticking a freaking needle into my arm." 

"Would you rather Frank die?"

"He's arleady dead!"

Myrnin blinked once, and then twice.

"You have gotten so much nastier. I remember when I first met you." 

"I remember when I first met you. You're still crazy though, and apart from the fact that you haven't tried to eat me for the last few months, then nothing has changed." Claire paused briefly, and she folded her arms across her chest. "Oh wait. You have tried to kill me, and my boyfriend!"

Myrnin sighed. "Oh Claire, I wasn't myself when I bit you. And the thing with that Collins boy, you really have to get over that."

"Get over it? How, can you expect me to get over that?"

"Claire, I only did what I did to protect you."

Claire shook her head, and she spun on her heel. She knew that she would regret coming into the lab today, and wished that Shane hadn't moved from her bed. Maybe if she could get back in time, she'd be able to catch him shirtless still.

"Claire, wait." She didn't though, and instead walked even faster. His pale face was inches from hers, and it took Claire all of her strength not to flinch or squeal.

"Leave me alone, Myrnin. I helped you, and now I'm going home."

"Stop being foolish. I have something from the Founder."

The small box was nothing special. She could just about fit it into both hands, and it was made from grey cardboard. "What is it?"

"I haven't the slightest clue."

Claire stared at him. "Right." He held out the box, and Claire was left with no choice but to take it. She sighed as she set the box on the floor and opened it,  digging her hand in deep. "It feels like material. Myrnin, wha- Ouch!"

She flung her hand out and cradled it. Crimson blood trickled down a large gash on her right hand. Myrnin, being Myrnin, rolled his eyes and reached into the box to pull out a piece of cloth. He wrapped it around her hand. 

"Really Claire, it's just a little blood. You've had worse." 

"Yeah, but it hurts." She paused for a moment and watched Myrnin. His hair was down and wavy, dropping just above his shoulders. He was wearing dark blue jeans, a black T-shirt and his white lab coat. To Claire that was mostly normal, which was surprising. His dark eyes were gentle and Claire found herself staring into them. Myrnin must have detected the long silence because he looked up and frowned at her. "You know," Claire began. "You're kind of handsome."

Then she fainted.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 49 1
A Morganville 10th Anniversary special short story! Set post-DAYLIGHTERS, Michael Glass struggles with the difficult transition from vampire back to...
894 53 16
Morgan Beckford had it all...Her hair a firey red, her eyes a jade green, and her body that of a super model. What more could a girl in her 20s desir...
3.3K 145 11
A Morganville Vampires fan fiction Affair between part time lovers, Claire and Myrnin. What could possibly go wrong?
58.7K 2.4K 80
Moving into Morganville is like signing a death warrant. Yet I chose to.