One Night with the King -- Bo...

By HowlingJane

Have you ever smelt something... though it be faint, it caused a memory to stir? It's as if you have been the... More

Opening
Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five

Chapter Two

36K 1K 73
By HowlingJane

         A knock at the door stirred me from a restful slumber.

        Raising up in bed, I felt the pain from the previous day melt away, leaving me with nothing but the dull ache of a wound that was healing. I looked down at my hands, moving them to see all angles, the bruising almost diminished. The few scraps that had been scattered across my arms had also started the flake away, leaving only faint lines as they faded away. Taking a breath, stretching my legs, and cracking my toes, I found myself wondering why I had suddenly been woke from such a wonderful sleep. And, it was such a wonderful dream, too.

         Such beautiful golden eyes.

         Another knock came onto the large door coming into my chamber. Turning my head to the side, I reached for a robe that had been placed on the chair. Quickly covering myself with the robe and moving the covers and quilt to give myself some extra coverage. Besides, it would be a waste to allow the warmth to leave.

          Clearing my voice, I called out to whomever it was. "Enter." 

          The door opened slowly, a young woman coming in. I watched as her head came into view, a nervous look on her face, eyes heavy with worry. Sinking down into the pillow slightly, I watched as the woman stepped forward. Hair the color of sunshine ran down her back in elegant waves, like that of the wind, with pale skin covered in freckles to complement her. The woman stood tall, a thin figure covered in a modest gown the color of a sapphire which reached the ground.

           As she looked at me with cautious eyes, her smile grew a little, only to see tears start to cause her eyes to glisten in the soft light of the morning. 

          "It truly-," she stopped suddenly, her voice hitching as tears seemed to control her words. Placing a hand over her mouth, the woman took a shuddering breath. "It truly is you, Your Highness. Oh Amira," her sobs started to fill the space and I found myself obligated to go towards her and comfort her. "I was s-so worried."

            Moving the covers off of my body, I wrapped the robe around my nakedness, keeping me decent before her. Walking towards the woman, who was sobbing softly to herself, I could see that she had brought in a box of wood for the fire. Who was this woman? 

           Being cautious, I reached out and placed a hand on her lower arm, shocking her. With large black eyes, she looked at me as another tear ran down her cheek, flowing down the stream that others had laid out for it. I found myself smiling, wishing I could giver her comfort in some fashion or another.

          "Please, tell me why you are crying?" I asked softly, bringing her towards the couch by the fire, wanting her to sit and keep warm. Her body shook as if the wind was blowing around falling leaves. She sat as her tears started to cry up, her hand going to remove the wetness from her cheeks. 

        Taking a breath, she shook her head as she looked at me, only to place her hand on top of mine. I smiled at her, hoping to give some comfort. It must have done something, for my hand was given a small squeeze in return.

           "I was informed that you have no memories?" she asked. "Is that even possible?" Her voice was so low, so delicate, it was as if a single breeze could snap her into two. "So many years, all just," she paused, waving her hand around, "vanished. I simply cannot begin to imagine what you must be going through."

           "I am... managing as best as I believe that I am able to in this moment." She nodded, looking at me, tears threatening to spill once again. "I do remember that of my name. But, perhaps that is because that is what everyone has called me?"

          We sat there for a few moments, her composing herself, and I more focused on how to make this situation from becoming... quite uneasy and awkward. It would appear I am quite capable of doing that on my own. As we sat, I found myself turning to look towards the fire and back to the box of wood. The flames were slowly dying, causing a soft red glow to fill the nearby space. If it was not given something soon, it would go out. Standing up, I went to pick up a log and place it on the fire.

          "What ever are you doing, Your Majesty?" I heard her ask. I just picked up the log and went to the fire, placing it into the mouth of the flames. Almost instantly, the flames awake, starting to work on it's next feast. "You should not be doing something such as that," I heard from behind me.

           Looking over my shoulder, I furrowed my brow. "And why is that," I asked softly. It would appear I did not know much of anything. "Can I not do something as simple as placing wood in a fire?" She let out a sigh, motioning for me to sit beside her. Continuing to pat the couch, I found myself smiling at her as I took a seat once again.

            "You are the Queen of all the kingdoms, not just this one that you are in." I rose a brow at that. How many Kingdoms were around? "There are far more important things for you to do, things that do not involve getting your hands dirty with simple tasks." Well, I shall disagree with that statement completely. 

           "Will you tell me why you were crying, please?" I asked a few moments later, looking into her eyes. She took a breath, composing herself completely, removing the remaining traces of tears from her cheeks. "There is no need for you to cry, truly."

            "Oh, but there is." She said as she knotted her hands together into her lap. Looking at them, I watched as her knuckles turned white from squeezing so hard. "Do you remember my name? Who I am to you?" I could barley hear her from the soft whisper. 

           "I..." Stopping, I went to take a moment. Was there possibly a part of me that knew this woman? Yes, absolutely. The warmth of the past was there, but it was as if laying back down in bed after you had been up for a few minutes: the warmth was faded, a whisper of what used to be. "I wish that I knew whom you were, truly I do." She nodded her head, knowing where the conversation was going. "But, perhaps you telling me will help me remember? There is no harm in trying," I shrugged my shoulders, not knowing what else to say.

           "Well," I turned to look at her, "I suppose that you are right. You may not remember, but at least I can remember for the both of us. And, perhaps the memories shall return over time. I shall pray for that," reaching out, we took each other's hands. "My name is Eira, I am your Hand Maiden. We have been the best of friends for years, so much so that there is not much that we do not know of one another."

          I found a burn behind my eyes, indicating that I was starting to tear up. And as quickly as the burn started, my vision started to waver, blurring with the tears. Eira, too, started to tear up, clasping my hands tightly.

        "I'm so very glad to meet you, Eira." I whispered, wishing now more than ever to have those precious memories once again. Without thinking on either part, I found myself having embraced her, as well as feeling the embracement returned. 

        And for the first time since I had woken up, I found myself feeling hope.

_______

           "From what I have heard, and from the whispers in the walls, a discussion to give you a routine similar to what you once had at the beginning of your reign. The court, as well as the King, are in high hopes of it allowing some form of a memory to come back. If nothing does," Eira took a breath, helping me into the gown that I would wear for the day. "Well, then you shall have to start from the very beginning. As much as you were questioned yesterday, it shall be nothing compared to what the day shall hold." 

          Gasping, I felt the strings be tightened around my waist, causing the small of my waist to show between the cuts and dips in the fabric. In a beautiful color like that of a foam sea, the fabric shinning in the light, with beautiful details of golden flowers sewn into the slit for the leg, as well as around the high neckline. Aside from the tightening of the strings to keep the fabric close to my body, it was quite lovely. 

           I would enjoy it so much more if I was able to breath.

          "What should I expect from this?" I gasped out as the final tug was pulled, and the strings were hidden under the light train of the skirting. Going to place the golden bands of vines on wrist, allowing them to snap into place, as well as the jewels that hung from my ears, I was finally forced into looking into the mirror once again.

            "That, I am afraid, I have no way of knowing. Nothing like this has ever happened before," she let out a sign, looking at me threw the mirror as I brushed the waves of my hair, allowing them to fall down my back. 

           A face that was foreign to me looked back, doing everything that I did, perfectly. It was my reflection. With black hair, pale skin, smokey gray eyes , and dimples hidden in full cheeks paired with high cheekbones, I did not know what to think of the image before me. Who was this woman that I could see? 

          Was her forgotten past full of kindness and hope, or terror and pain?

         So many questions wavered in my mind as I finished preparing myself for the meeting this morning and for the day. Routine, yes, perhaps that would help allow some pieces to fall into place. After all, I am willing to do anything to remember what had happened, and what had caused me to vanish in the night those months ago.

           Placing the brush down, I went to rub my hands on the fabric of the dress, the feeling of sweat clamming my palms. I was nervous, nervous to meet eyes that remembered my face. Would seeing so many faces cause me to remember something, if but a simple memory? One could only pray, it would seem.

          "Are you ready, Your Majesty?" Eira asked as I stood from the table with the animated picture of a woman who supposedly was me. Turning to look at her, I felt my heart start to skip a beat, becoming cold all over my body in a single instant. Could I be ready? Am I ready?

         "Could I ask a favor from you?" I found myself asking as we walked towards the doors that led into the outside world, a world separate from the little one of my sleeping chambers.

           "Of course, you need never ask." Eira gave me a soft smile as she knocked on the large wooden panels. Before the doors opened, I turned my body completely towards her, reaching out for her hand.

        In an instant my hand was taken in return and given a squeeze of comfort.

         "I do not wish to be called Your Majesty." Her eyes grew wide at my comment, only to soften as the corners of her lips turned up in a shy smile. "Call me Amira, please. We are friends, after all, correct?" Squeezing her hand, we turned back towards the doors as they were opened by a knight in his armor of silver and red, chains handing from his neck, a sword on his hip.

           "Good morning, Your Majesty." He bowed with grace, the metal of his armor clanking and shinning in the light coming from the windows across the way of the door. I nodded my head softly towards him, greeting him in return, and we were off towards... where ever it was that I was needed.

          As we walked, I could see Eira smiling more towards herself, hands placed neatly in front of her to keep them from swaying. I found myself curious of her smile.

           "You have not changed, even with the memories lost," she spoke, seeming to hear my inner thoughts. I followed as we turned the corner, going down the stairs that spiraled to the bottom floor of the palace.

         "And why do you believe that, Eira?" I asked as I placed my hand on the railing, holding the skirt of the dress up with the other hand. If I fell, that would be quite a sight. But, perhaps it would cause the memories to come back? 

         No, best not take a chance.

         "When his Majesty and you had announced you were to be married, the first thing that you asked of me was to never address you as a royal." We finished descending the stairs, only to turn to the right, going down the hallway past the room that I had been interrogated the past day. Just where were we going? "You said that it made you feel as if you were not the equal to those whom you had been surrounded by as you were growing up. You have always been adamant about that."

            I found myself smiling, grateful to hear that, even with the lost memories, perhaps I was still the same person in my heart.

_________

              We had gathered into what appeared to be a library, scrolls upon scrolls lining the walls. I looked at the tall ceilings, the rows having the glow of the morning light cast on them. In the heart of the room, there was a fireplace roaring with warmth and light, accompanying a table large enough to sit Lilith's 3 horses atop with ease.

             As large as the room was, there had only been four other bodies to come into the room. Two of which I recognized, two that I did not. Tennekoot stood from his chair at the table, causing the others to look and rise as well. I found myself raising my hands, knowing fully well the bowing was about to begin. Apparently, my discomfort was easily read as they all nodded their heads, still standing. 

           The Priest which had healed me with the flames stood beside the giant man Tennekoot, seeming like that of a small child compared to him. He was an older man, wrinkles covering his body that was shown from out of the black and red robes. Delicate, he seemed so delicate, with his slightly shaking hands. I found myself seeing how his hands were marked only a moment later. The very tips of his fingers were solid black, the color slowly moving up each finger in a solid color, only to start breaking off at the knuckle. It reminded me of how ash would flow and break away from logs as it was burned.

         His hands, they were practically coal, yet so full of life and movement.

         Gentle eyes looked at me as I was given a slight bow of the head and body, clearly the elder man wanting to stay true to himself. I found comfort in that. 

          "Your Majesty, we are honored with your presence." Priest spoke a few moments later. I smiled as I moved forward, Eira staying beside the door, her hands placed in front of her, completely composed.

           "Thank you all for being here this morning," I found myself saying as I went to the chair in front of the fire, head of the table. I found myself wanting to laugh at how my feet knew of where to take  me, my body simply following. As gracefully as I could allow myself to be, I allowed Tennekoot to pull out the chair for me, only to sit and feel myself be slid into place. Clearing my throat, I crossed one left over the other, my hands placed on my knee. "Shall we begin?"

          The four took a seat and looked towards me, seeming surprised as well as pleased. I must be doing something correct. Eira gave me a gentle nod as I glanced towards her, seeking some kind of 'yes, this is what you are meant to be doing'. Thank goodness for the unconscious thought.

           The sound of a chair squeaking against the ground caused me to turn my head.

           "Your Majesty, I am Master Rein, keeper of the scrolls," the man to my left said. He was around the age of the Priest, yet not covered in those black markings on his hands. With no hair on his head, dark skin, and black eyes, he seemed like that of an older shadow. Robes covered his frail body as well, only it was the colors of grey and black, no red anywhere to be seen. It was also very bare of any objects other than the belt that seemed to hold keys. "I am the one that is also responsible for knowing all of Namarian history," he said proudly, his small chest puffing out slightly.

          "Thank you, it is wonderful to meet you Rein." I smiled at him, going to look at the man sitting beside him.

          This man was not like the other robes figures, for he was young with a spark in his eyes that had not been diminished with years. He had red hair, like that of fire, and fair skin that reminded me of the clouds in the sky. Facial hair dusted across his cheeks, showing that he had not shaven once he had started the day. He did not wear robes, however. He wore clothes that were equivalent to mine, in fine colors, shinning fabric, and a black and gold necklace that rested across his neck. It seemed to watch me whenever I moved, like that of an eye.

         Standing, he too took a slight bow with such grace, it was practically a dream.

         "Your Majesty, I am Benton, the representative of Choristan, the bank of which the Kingdoms receive and hold money, as well as priceless pieces." Benton's voice was like that of a gentle breeze: soft and comforting to the ears, but somehow cold. He spoke nothing else, only sat back down.

            "Thank you for joining us this morning, Benton." I called, nodding once and moving to the next gentleman, the Priest.

           Standing, he gave me a gentle smile, smoothing his robes with those coal fingers. Never once as he did that, did the shaking seem to occur.

          "We have already met since your memory has been lost," he spoke out in a voice soft, which was gentle and warm that like that of quilt. "However, in the moments after your arrival," he talked with his hands, waving them softly around, "we were never properly introduced. I am Priest Lonwa, Holder and Eyes of the Holy Flames. And I am very honored to have you once again in our presence." Lonwa sat down a moment later, shaking hands easing him down once again. I felt touched and warmed by his words.

          "It is wonderful to see you once again, Lonwa." I smiled at him, turned towards Tennekoot.

           Rising from his chair, I watched as the shadow was cast across everything, the light diminishing in his presence. 

            "Your Majesty," he called out, the booming voice causing everything to still in time, "I am Tennekoot, sword to The King, First Family, and the Head of the Royal Guard." Slamming his closed fist over his heart, he bowed his head and took a knee. The ground shook slightly. "I prayed to the gods that you would return to us, and they have heard and answered my prayers. I will protect and serve you on land, sea, or sky until I take my final breath in this life."

             Rising, I placed a hand on his shoulder, letting him know of my change in position.

           "Thank you..." I whispered, the courage in my voice gone as my heart pounded, seeming to have jumped into my throat. 

           Oh, I am quite uncomfortable now.

_________

           "We are simply trying to stay that possibly a routine would be best," Benton said as the wine was poured. "The people are ecstatic that you have returned, and they wish to see you. However, in your current predicament, it would be unwise to show that you are ill." I blinked at him, only to reach for my wine once again. The taste was sweet with the deep red of the liquid seeming to be bottomless. Eira had gone to gather the second meal of the day, seeing as the meeting would be some time. 

          And the King had not shown when everyone had. In fact, he was quite late.

           "And how is it that I am ill, Benton?" All eyes went to me as I took another sip from the cup. Delicious. Looking at the cup as I placed it down, I found myself setting my lips into a thin line, becoming board with this conversation that seemed to be going around in circles. "I have no signs of expelling what I have consumed, nor to I feel feverish, or have to dire need to rest." I locked eyes with him, becoming irritated.

             "With all do respect, Queen Amira, I believe what Benton is trying, and failing, to say," Lonwa spoke up, causing me to look at him, "is that we are not sure how to see this situation. No one knows of why you vanished, only your unconcious thoughts. Even the flames, they cannot give me an answer, besides that of a small spark. All my years, and there has never been something to occur like this." Taking a breath, I leaned back in the chair, wanting to argue and fight, but my strength was suddenly gone. "You are not ill, but you are not entirely well either," he said with a soft sign.

            "The flames are only answering you with a small spark?" Rein asked as he looked towards me, his brow furrowed. "What would that even begin to mean?" A question we would all like to know the answer to.

             "I wish I knew, but the flames..." Lonwa sighed as well, seeming defeated. "I will have to take some time and use the herbs that I have received from the Eenack. Perhaps with the years of knowledge of the Mother Tree combined with the Holy Flames shall grant me insight?" he shook his head, seeming defeated.

           He stood then, the sound of bones popping into place following each simple movement that he made.

          "I will try everything in my power, Your Highness, to help you receive the answers that you seek. If you will allow me, I shall take my leave from this meeting." Nodding, I motioned my hand for him to exit the room. 

          We watched as he went to the door, only to stop and turn to look towards me.

           "I believe you shall find the answers, and your memories shall return. After all, very great fire is started with a single spark." He bowed, and left the room.

              "Gentlemen," I spoke as I stood up, "I would like to take a little time to think, get some fresh air. You may stay and have lunch. Perhaps during my absence, the King will show and allow his input to be placed into the conversation." The men stood with me, going to bow immediately.

              Eira came in at that time, the maids following behind to bring in lunch. Trays of roasted ham and vegetables were placed on the table, as well as plates, forks, and knives. The men looked at me, half expecting for me to join them. 

            The last maid came and placed the trey down that held sweet smelling bread down. Honey, sweet honey, filled the air as she cut the two loafs in fourths. The growling from my stomach sounded, my mouth began to salivate, and I instantly reached for one entire loaf. This, it would appear, is what I would consume for lunch.

            Eira took the loaf and found a cloth that she placed the food in. I watched as she took some meat and vegetables, enough for two, after the men had sat back down to be served.

           It would appear the Queen received her food first. 

_______

       "Where, do tell, are we going?" I asked as we made our way out of the palace, down to the lower side of the grounds, where there was a gate that lead to a meadow surrounded by gloriously lush trees, and a pond that could be considered a lake.

            "Whenever you needed to get fresh air, this is the one place that you wished to go. And," she smiled at me, a secret dancing behind those eyes, "I have a surprise for you once you get there."

           "Do you not mean, us?" I asked, watching as she moved us to the end of the tree line, only to place the cloth down.

            She shook her take, smiling as she took a deep breath. I watched as her shoulders sagged. "This is considered sacred ground. Only the First Family, which is the royal family, and Priests are allowed." I looked at her, confused as to how a friend would not be considered family. As far as I was concerned, she could walk on anything if she wished to. "And, before you protest, this is just how it has always been. We must respect that, Amira." I wished to protest, but she did know more than I did.

            With easy hands, we reached for the cloth and handed it to me. There was enough in here for two, and if she had known she was taking me here, then why pack something for her to eat? 

            "Go on, I shall be waiting for you to return. Take all the time that you need, Amira." She squeezed my hand and turned to go towards the head of the trees were there was a fallen log. She had brought a book with her, and making quick work, she was sat and opening it up, enjoying the day.

            I made my way words the body of water, seeing that there was a single tree cast of the side, giving shade at the base of the hill that rolled down from the palace. It truly was a beautiful place, with different flowers littering the soft blades of grass, breaking up the solid color of green with purples, pinks, blues, and oranges. 

           The skirting behind my dress gave little protest as I had made my way forward, making the journey easy. Once everything had been placed out beside the tree, I lowered myself by the edge of the water, going to unfold the cloth. As the sweet smell of honey lifted, as well as the ham and roasted vegetables, I found my mouth salivating. A cup had been placed in the cloth as well, allowing me to gather water to drink during my meal.  She truly had thought of everything.

           Taking the cup, I dipped into the cool water, seeing as it filled almost completely. As I started to raise it up, I saw a small ribbon of water come and grasp it from my hand. My breath left my throat as I watched the cup be swallowed into the water, my hand releasing it instantly. Bending over to look down into the, misleading, deep end of the water, I was surprised to find that I could not see the shine of the cup.

            However, in a moment that changed.

            A little bit further into the pond, the cup shot out of the depths at such speed, it caused water to scatter as it broke the smooth surface. Shock covered me as a moment after it was shot into the sky, flying fast as a bird on the wind, a large body of water jumped out as well, forming a body as it captured the cup, swallowing it before falling back into the water once again.

            The body was slim, covered in waves and dips, all made of water. It was alive... beautifully alive.

             I watched in pure fascination as it moved around under the surface of the water, almost breaking the smooth surface once again. I moved forward on my knees, trying to catch a better view at the mystical being of the pond. The cup was once again launched from the depths, only to come towards me. Reaching up, I captured the wet object between my hands.

            The water moved as the being moved just below the surface, causing the smooth surface to ripple and dip, light shinning and catching on the waves. A head, large as the opening of a fireplace, bobbed up from the water, drips falling down off of the face. Eyes, though clear, looked at me as it tilted it's head to the side, watching closely. 

            I found there was a pattern to the small dips and dives in the water, like that of scales of... 

            My eyes widened as a fleeting sound of a memory crossed my mind.

             I would be careful of him, Zeita. As beautiful as he is, he is still a Water Dragon. Careful, cunning, and full of mischief. 

            "A dragon," I whispered, watching as the head dipped down, seeming to indicate towards my hand. "Full of mischief, huh?" I asked, reaching my hand out that held the cup. Instead of going for the cup, he backed up, moving that large head from side to side. 

              Without thinking, I threw the cup into the air as hard as I could. In an instant, he had jumped and caught it, only to start the game of shooting it up from the depths once again. It was beautiful to watch. I sat against the tree, breaking off a piece of the honey bread, only to instantly consume it. 

                Oh my, yes that is what I wanted.

                "It would appear your appetite for sweets has not left," I heard behind me. "Nor does it appear that he only enjoys your company." The voice was deeper than Tennekoot's, practically having the words come from his chest. There was a deep growl in those words, not that of warning, but of just nature.

              Golden, caramel eyes: that is who those belonged to.

            Smoke wafted across the lawn, only to wrap around my hand softly, seeming to caress the skin. There was heat with it, like that of a hand. 

              "I am glad to know that things have not changed, Zeita. Not completely," he spoke as he came into view. My eyes watched him as the King looked down at me, arms over his barrel chest, and golden eyes watching my very move, no emotions on his face, but true emotions of kindness in his eyes.

               Well, it would appear it was time to finally come face to face with my husband, the King. This day just truly seemed to be full of surprised.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 214 18
*REWRITE CAN BE FOUND ON MY ACCOUNT, THIS VERSION IS DISCONTINUED Adonis had been alive for an excruciatingly long time. His heart shattered over an...
11.3K 828 81
In a world where duty and love collide, Nia, the eldest daughter of an aristocratic family, finds herself thrust into a political alliance with the r...
2.3M 84.7K 48
"What are you doing here?" I gulped at the hoarse voice. Instead of replying, I stared at Maria's corpse lying on the floor. "You smell so sweet." I...
301K 23K 74
War A word that should inflict fear and terror is seen as the new normal. Kharis is a slave in the castle of Leonidas of Bethillore, Supreme commande...