Her // Joe Goldberg (COMPLETE...

By kitkatzoo2

He promised himself that all would be different after the tragic death of Guinevere Beck and he never expecte... More

1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26

4

6.5K 161 8
By kitkatzoo2

Oddly enough, I'm not one of those people that hate Mondays. I don't find them draining or a reminder that the bliss of the weekend is gone and I'm back to boring 9 to 5. Do you hate them ? Are you one of those people ?. I can't imagine you hating anything or anyone. You're a positive person, probably too positive for your own good but I'm looking at it as a good thing. You sent me a stream of texts yesterday morning to tell me your boss approved you working on the stores accounts and it felt like a piece of the puzzle finally connecting. Of course, our relationship would now be work based but I believe over time that novelty will fade.

Business went slow this morning Kelsey. People came in dribs and drabs and asked dumb questions about books that they should have the decency and common sense to know the answers to, but I, slave to the public was forced to stand there, smile and answer them. I know you wouldn't go into a store in the trance of oblivion these complete morons were in. The sun was beating down today, I could barely concentrate so I put my energy into finishing Beck's display. Her death is still fresh in people's mind so her books sell quickly and we get a shipment every month or so. This means every month or so I have to allocate myself certain days to start and finishing her display. It's hard seeing her face staring at me everyday in the form of a book. You knew a lot about her case and I knew you'd hate me if you knew the truth but once we reached a certain level of closeness I'd be able to explain it all to you and I don't doubt that you'd understand my reasonings.

You floated in at 11:07, your dainty hands were resting in the pockets of your grey work pants. Your white tucked in blouse was see-through thanks to the sun and you could barely walk in your heels but i wasn't going to be the one to complain. You were looking around, presumingly for me, so I caught your eye and gave a friendly wave which put your face at ease so you came over to me. "You don't mind if I hide here for awhile do you ?" you whispered so I nodded. Why would I say no to you ?. I know this is a habit of yours, you prefer to hide instead of sitting in your cramped office all day and I don't blame you. Who'd want to sit at a computer all day ?. I could pretend to be engulfed by the display all I wanted to, the real focus was on you, it always would be.

You perched on one of the not so comfortable couches by the classics, I saw your eyes scanning the books and they stopped right on one. You were having an argument in your head about repurchasing the book, I could tell because you were whispering to yourself. In the end, you just shook your head and took out your computer. You sat cross legged and had a look of pure concentration on your face. You were working, this was Kelsey Elliott in work mode. You kept checking your phone, I knew you hated that you were allowing the tiny, insignificant device distract you from your work but you were allowing it and didn't seem to be doing anything to stop it.

You stayed wrapped up in your work bubble for thirty three minutes before letting out a loud sigh. "Joe" you called timidly and I quickly went over to you, like a dog being called by it's owner. "I'm really sorry to ask but my phone just died and I really need it. You don't have an outlet I could use, do you ?" you asked with your eyebrows furrowed. There was desperation in your voice and I could see you cringing at yourself for having to ask me. I just put my hands out to take your phone and charger which you gracefully handed over and called me a lifesaver. You need to be more careful handing over your device Kelsey, I have good intentions but you never know anyone else's true motives.

I lied and told you we had an outlet in the back, you didn't care once you could be connected to whoever, presumingly Max again. There was an outlet behind the other couch and another behind the counter but I couldn't find out more about you if you could see me. I plugged in your phone and it took about sixty seconds to come on. I was greeted by a picture of you and Max eating ice cream, it disgusted me and turned me off chocolate ice cream forever because Max had put some of his on your nose, that's why there was a picture. I pressed your home button and of course, you're not Beck, you have a password. Everything is password protected as it should be. You don't want people getting into your phone.

I tried random number combinations until it gave me my final warning, one more try before it locks itself for ten minutes and I couldn't allow that because you'd come to check on your phone so I followed my gut. I pulled out my own phone, searched for your Facebook page, went to Max's and then scrolled until I found the date you two started dating. 08-24-17. Why didn't I think of this at the beginning ?. It worked, I knew this wasn't your choice, it was his. You were definitely forced to have the date as your password just so he'd be able to get in and you were definitely forced to have him as your lock screen. I took a second to stare at your apps, all aligned perfectly so you'd know exactly where they were. Twitter, of course, you're an educated woman, you're going to want to keep up on current events and see everybody's opinions on them. Pinterest, the reason you're so positive. Gallery, peoples photos speak a million words about them.

Your gallery was mostly pictures of you and Max but I noticed it was never you holding the phone, always him, he had to be constantly showing you off as if he won a goldfish at the fair, his little pet. You two were an outgoing couple, there was no denying that but there was no need for all of the documentation. I was trying to piece together who your friends were, I'd seen a couple of pictures of the girls I'd seen in the window and a few with another man. While I scrolled I had to think of a way to install some sort of way to watch your phone at all times, I almost had a plan sorted when I heard the bell above to door ring followed by really heavy footsteps.

"Break all your two thumbs or something ? Why haven't you been answering my texts ?" a voice that could only belong to Max shouted as you looked up startled, you'd been in tranquility all morning. "No, my phone died- that doesn't even matter. How'd you find me ?" you asked confused as he scoffed. "Because I know you better than you know yourself. I know you stalk wherever you're working for because you have nothing better to do so I called the firm and Mister Murphy told me you're working for this shithole now" he rambled on as you sighed. "You were checking up on me ?" you asked, obviously feeling brave because you were in a public setting. I could see on his face, he wasn't happy with your tone, you could see on his face, he wasn't happy with your answer. He grabbed your wrist, tight, I could see your fingers starting to go red as he leant over you and held down on the power off button of your computer.

"You asshole, nothing was saved"you shouted, you were frustrated, angry, you wanted to punch him and I would've looked the other way if you did. "I have to do a full mornings work again" you continued except this time you sounded on the verge of tears. "Boo fucking hoo, let this be a lesson to you. Anyway I have to go to work so" he began before shoving his two fingers in his mouth and whistling. "Front and centre. March. I don't have all fucking day" he hollered as a child who neither you or I saw enter the store marched from the kids section all the way over to the couch. He looked to be about four or five. He was sweet, innocent, you could see in his eyes he had yet to be ruined by Max Johnson. "I'm working too Max" you hissed as he shook his head. "I'm running around New York all day selling protein shakes in this heat. You're sitting in this grubby bookstore all day on your computer. Who do you think I better to leave him with ?. I'm not even letting you answer that because I know you're a responsible adult. Have him back laterish, don't rush back and I'm expecting dinner, I'm not cooking" he ordered before walking out, leaving you there sitting with this child.

This child, did he belong to you ? You and Max ?. It didn't add up because Facebook said 2017 and that would make him only a few years old. I saw a new side to the child once Max was gone, he really loosened up around you. He was belly laughing at your jokes and you were laughing because his laugh was so contagious. He was telling you about his week and you were really listening, technology wasn't hired as a babysitter with you which was a great mental note to make for when we have children of our own. You noticed me looking so kept smiling. "Cody, this is Joe and he owns this whole store" you said in an over-enthusiastic tone as the child stared at me with his mouth hanging open. "Max's son" you mouthed at me which I can't lie, was a relief, but why was he your responsibility ?.

Max dumped his son on you because he wasn't bothered to look after him himself, he knew you wouldn't say no because why would you ? You can't see when you're being used and this angered me even more. However, it made me think about getting rid of Max for good, if I was to get rid of him. You and I could give Cody a really good life. He's obviously more comfortable around you than his own father. No. No. I can't go back that, I can't just kill another persons father figure, no matter how evil or twisted he may be. You stayed in the store for hours because it was entertaining Cody. You came up to the register with a stack of children's books and a copy of Lee's To Kill A MockingBird. Again, handing me the exact amount before ringing you up.

"Change of heart ?" I asked, already knowing the answer as you nodded sadly. "Turns out Mom isn't as into poetry as I thought" you explained before taking the books and leaving. The reality is Max isn't into poetry, as Atticus Finch once said Courage is not a man with a gun in his hand but god if I had one now. I hadn't even used the cash register, I debated on seeing where you were going but I didn't. I closed up and went home. My walk was quiet and freeing, I had a lot of time to think, about you, of course ? I wasn't expecting to see you standing at the door next door to me. You had Cody on your back and two bags of Panda Express in your hands. Were you the one following me ? Can you feel this too ?

I stayed back, I couldn't believe it, I knew you wanted to be with me too, you can't fake what we have until I saw the door of the apartment next door to mine open revealing Max with his arms folded. He grabbed the bags from your hand and scrunched up his face in disgust. "First of all, you're late, second of all, what have I told you about this food, we won't fit into any clothes for Jennifer's party if we keep eating shitty" he barked as your face lit up and he noticed it before smirking. "That's one way to get you to stop buying it, as I've said, I'm not going, I have shit to do here and shit to do now. Get inside Cody" he continued to bark as you put the boy down and he wrapped you in a hug, Max didn't like this, I could see it instantly. "Jesus Christ. You deaf now ? Need hearing aids ? Because I'll have them shove them into your ears until they bleed if it makes you listen. I said get inside" he shouted while pulling his son off you by the wrist and pushing him inside.

"Don't be so rough with him. He's a kid" you said unamused about to stand inside but Max stood in front of the door. "You answer my texts next time" he said in a fake nice voice before throwing the bags of food into your chest and slamming the door in your face, leaving you standing there. You looked hurt but didn't want to show it, I couldn't believe it. Max Johnson is my next door neighbour and you were just a wall away from me, all of this time Kelsey. But why haven't I seen any of you before ?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.6K 717 13
"When you walked into the store... I remembered all the hell I went through nine months ago. I promised to never, ever, go through that again. But w...
215K 5.5K 17
when joe goldberg is fresh from his breakup with beck, he has gotten used to life alone. but all that is swept away when pure and sweet charlie sim...
2.6K 153 56
Just a bunch of drama πŸ˜‚