How I Fell for the Player

By BrittanyLeigh8

Shannon Lane and Austin Burke are complete opposites. Shannon is the ordinary girl who is looking for the per... More

Chapter 1- The Party
Chapter 2- The Mall
Chapter 3-The Date
Chapter 4- Who is coming to dinner?
Chapter 5- A Nice Little Dinner Party
Chapter 6- Playing Along
Chapter 7- Answers
Chapter 8- Chorus, Auditions, and Terms
Chapter 9- Terms and Conditions
Chapter 10- Movie Night
Chapter 11- The New Girl
Chapter 12- All Things Revealed
Chapter 13- Does he like me?
Chapter 14- Teen Mom
Chapter 15- Rumor Has It
Chapter 16- Good Time
Chapter 17- Another Date
Chapter 18- An Unexpected Arrival
Chapter 20- No Escaping This Hell
Chapter 21- Explanations
Chapter 22- Forgiven
Chapter 23- Matchmaker
Epilogue

Chapter 19- The Halloween Party

95.1K 2.3K 154
By BrittanyLeigh8

(Chapter 19- The Halloween Party)

“Did I forget to mention I called you three times last night?” Tinsley said through the phone.

“Hey, my brother came in from college and we were hanging out.” I defended.

“Wait, Jesse is there?” she asked.

Ok I defiantly shouldn’t have said anything. I forgot she had this little crush on my brother. Oh well I guess it’s too late now.

“Yeah he’s staying for two weeks.” I said.

“Give me two hours and I’ll be over.” She rushed.

“Don’t get to excited I think he might have a girlfriend.” I said a little loud so she would listen.

“So, it’s not like he’s married.” He chuckled. “I’ll see you later.”

I laughed at her as I hung up the phone. She never gives up. I guess she still hasn’t worked out things with Richard yet. Maybe this will be just the thing to cheer her up, even if nothing will ever really happen.

I walked over to my mirror and picked my hair brush up from the dresser and combed through my hair before going down to meet the family for breakfast. This was a necessary thing for me every morning since my hair was almost always in knots. I probably looked like the bride of Frankenstein.

After I was satisfied with myself I walked down the hall and into the kitchen to see everyone sitting around the table already eating.

“Look who finally decided to grace us with her presence.” Jesse grinned.

“It’s not my fault you all eat before dawn.” I joked.

I looked around the table at all the food and instantly grabbed a plate and dug in. After filling it full I took my seat across from Jesse and beside my dad and started eating. I missed omelets so much but it seemed like we only had them when Jesse was over since it was his favorite.

While I was eating I received a text from Tinsley and answered it. Probably letting me know she was on her way or something, which reminds me I have let dad know.

I opened up the message and read it under the table since dad didn’t approve of cell phones during family time.

Tins: Halloween party tonight at Alex King’s house. We are going costume shopping tonight!

I quickly texted her a reply.

Me: Isn’t that Austin’s friend? I’m not going.

I picked up my fork and began eating again but not even a minute later I got a reply and put it down.

Tins: Yes you are or else he will think he has gotten to you.

I almost grumbled but didn’t so my dad wouldn’t notice me texting.

Me: Fine! What time?

Tins: Starts at 7 pm.

I was just about to text a reply when me dads voice interrupted me.

“No phones at the table.” He said.

I rolled my eyes where he couldn’t see me and put my phone back in my pocket.

“Was that your boyfriend?” Jesse teased.

I gave him a glare before replying. “No that was Tins actually.”

“Tinsley Adams?” He smirked.

It was obvious that he knew about Tinsley’s little crush on him and decided to have fun with it. If I know Tins at all she’s going to eat this up.

“Yes.” I said to him then looked at my dad. “Is it ok if she comes over today, we are going to go look for costumes tonight?”

“Costumes for what?” He asked.

“Just a little Halloween party tonight. Is that ok?”

He thought about it for a minute and sighed. “I don’t know. I don’t trust high school boys.”

“Please dad?” I begged.

I could tell he was getting ready to refuse but thankfully Jesse spoke up.

“I’ll go with her to make sure she doesn’t get into any trouble.” He said.

I could see that my dad instantly relaxed and nodded his head. “Ok but curfew is at 10.”

What? That’s not fair.

“Oh Robert let her stay until 12, Jesse will watch her.” Linda said.

Great now I’m getting a babysitter. It’s not like I’ve even done anything to make him not trust me.

“Fine 12 but you better not be drinking.” He warned.

I smiled. I guess that better than nothing.

“I won’t.” I promised jumping up from my seat to hug dad. “Thanks.”

“And don’t leave with anyone especially if they are drinking.” He said.

“Don’t worry.” I laughed. “I wouldn’t.”

“That’s my girl.” He smiled.

I grabbed the toast from my plate and finished it as ran up the stairs to get ready.

I ran to my closet and picked out some of the clothes Tins selected for me on our most recent shopping trip and laid them on my bed to change into after my shower.

I went to the bathroom and turned on the hot water and waited for it to get warm before I got in. I was one of those people who like the water scalding in the shower so it took a little longer.

After washing off from head to toe I stepped out to dry off them plugged in my blow dryer and finished drying my hair. Within an hour I was fully dressed, hair styled and make up on ready to go. Only thing missing now was Tinsley.

I got my purse and phone and then headed to the living room to wait for Tins to get there. Once I was at the bottom of the stairs I heard two voices talking and the closer I got I recognized who they were.

“When did you get here?” I asked seeing Tinsley on the couch next to my brother talking.

“Oh you’re ready.” She said getting up and walking over to me.

“Yeah, sorry to interrupt.” I smirked.

She blushed a little but brushed it off. “We were just talking, no harm in that.”

“Where are two headed?” Jesse asked.

Tins looked at him and smiled. “Just the new Halloween store in the mall.”

“Well since I’m going to, I suppose I’ll need a costume as well. How about I drive?” He offered.

Before I even had a chance to speak Tins did. “That would be great.”

Oh joy now I get to see the flirting first hand. This should be a fun ride. Not! If it’s one thing I don’t want to see it’s my best friend and my brother flirting with each other. That is just a bit weird for me.

Tins grabbed my arm and pulled me out the door and to Jesse’s car. I of course had to sit in the back while Tins and Jesse sat in front and talked. I was suddenly feeling like the third wheel to my own plans.

I sat silently in the back the whole way just listening to the music while they had their conversation in the front. I can already see I wouldn’t like it if they dated. Thank God he was like three years older than her and in college or else I might have something to worry about.

After we got to the mall we all went in looking for the costume store next to Bath and Body Works. The shop was huge and there were huge selections of costumes to choose from but I still had no idea what I wanted to go as. Maybe something simple though.

Tins dragged me to the left side of the store where the Women’s costumes were and began looking through them. I wondered to the more appropriate ones while Tins went straight for the legs avenue ones. I had to hand it to her for having the confidence to wear one of those because there is no way that I could do that. I’m more self conscience.

“What do you think?” She asked holding up a French Maid outfit.

“No, way too many people wear that one.” I said.

“Yeah I guess you’re right.” She said hanging it up and picking out another.

“What about this one?” She asked.

“It’s not bad I guess if you want to go as a slutty vampire.” I stated.

“Well I just happen to like vampires.” She said.

“That’s also common.” I added.

She looked a little discouraged but kept looking anyway. Maybe she will find one that suits her. I on the other hand think I found the perfect one.

“I found mine.” I announced.

“Let me see.”

I turned it around to show her and she looked pleased. “A pirate, great choice it looks like you.”

“Not just any pirate but Ms. Elizabeth Swan.” I added with an accent.

“Great impersonation.” She laughed.

“Thank you.” I bowed.

“I think I’ve found mine to.” She Cheered.

“Show me.” I said.

She took it down and smiled. “I’ll be a bubble bee this year.”

I nodded my head. “Very Tinsley.”

“Great.” She said. “I wonder what Jesse’s going as?”

“I don’t know let’s go find him.”

******

Tinsley, Jesse and I were all standing in the living room getting our picture’s taken by Linda before we left. It turned out Jesse picked out a vampire costume with a cape and needless to say Tin’s was unhappy that I told her not to get the vampire one she wanted so they could match. I was happy though because that would seem way to couple like for me.

“One more.” Linda said taking the picture. “I want to see more of the party.”

“Don’t worry Mrs. Lane I’ll take plenty.” Tins said.

Yep that was true. If we weren’t careful we might end up taking pictures all night. It would be an understatement to say that Tin’s wasn’t camera happy.

“Let’s go I’m driving.” Jesse announced.

We all left in a hurry anxious to get to the party. Well they were I was dreading seeing Austin there. After my last conversation with him I could care less if I ever saw him again. He is such a lying player jerk!

The drive to Alex’s house was a quick one much to my disappointment but I’ve decided I’m not going to let Austin ruin my night. I’m going to just have fun and not think about him at all. Him or that tramp.

As I stepped out of the car I could hear the music booming from inside the house. The door stood wide open and there were people going in and coming out. This had to be the hottest Halloween party of senior year. It looked like Alex went all out decorating this place.

The roof was covered in orange lights and the side of the house was decorated in the usual danger, beware and keep out signs.

“Shannon, come on.” Tins yelled making me realized I was still admiring the house. 

I tore my attention away and followed along with her and my brother inside the house.

“Don’t you feel al little old crashing a high school party?” I asked him once we were inside.

“Who said it was just a high school party?” He laughed. “See that guy over there? That’s Alex’s brother and he goes to the same college I do.  He even invited friends.”

“Then does that mean you won’t be babysitting me?” I asked hopeful.

“Babysit? No.” He said. “But I will still keep an eye on you occasionally.”

“Ok then bye.” I said quickly pulling Tin’s along before she could protest.

I wasn’t going to be caught hanging out with my brother all night no matter how much I loved him.

We quickly spotted Cora and Brad over by the food table and went to talk to them. Cora was wearing a roaring twenties costume and Brad was dressed as Elvis and Tin’s couldn’t pass up the moment. After Tin’s snapped tons of pictures of us and she left and starting eating some of the food.

“I’m surprised you came.” Cora said.

I nodded my head. “Me to but Tinsley insisted I come anyway to appear unaffected by Austin.”

She looked at me sympathetically. “Yeah I heard. I’m really sorry. I had no idea Austin would believe her.”

Wait what is she talking about?

“Believe her?” I asked.

“Yeah you know, about the whole ditching your date with him to be with Jace. I told him not to listen to her.” She explained.

Suddenly it dawned on me what that whole thing was about. That’s what Lauren meant by I told you so and why Austin didn’t give me a chance to explain, it was all her. Even though it was her fault though I’m not going to be forgiving him anytime soon because he still chose to believe her over all the lies she spreads and didn’t give me a chance.

In fact I’m going to make him pay by doing exactly what he thought and spend the whole night with Jace acting like he doesn’t even exist.

“Shannon, are you ok?” Cora asked.

“Yeah I’m perfect.” I smiled evilly.

She looked at me and laughed. “I don’t know what you’re planning but he’s deserves it.”

“Have you seen Jace?” I asked.

“Yeah he was wearing the superman costume.” She said.

“Thanks.” I smiled leaving to go find him.

I searched the stairs and in the all the rooms on the bottom floor of the house and still didn’t find him but I did find two couples heavily making out in two of the beds.

After giving up I made my way back to Cora and Brad since I seemed to have lost Tinsley along the way. They were now standing next to the door where everyone was coming in talking with someone who I couldn’t quite make out. I walked closer to them until I was right behind Cora and finally saw who it was after it was too late.

Austin was standing there in a Jack Sparrow costume with Lauren in red devil outfit latching on the Austin’s arm like she was going to lose him if she let go.

I find it funny how oddly fitting that costume is for her. I could almost swear she was Satan herself making a visit from hell to personally torment me.

As Austin made eye contact with me I felt just a pinch of hurt thinking back on yesterday’s conversation. It took everything in me to keep from walking over to her and grabbing by the hair. I was never a violent person until it came to her for some reason. She just makes me so mad I could just scream.

“Are you ok?” Cora whispered.

“I’m fine.” I lied.

“Oh look who it is a slutty pirate.” Lauren smirked.

Cora tensed as she watched my reaction and grabbed my arm to pull me away. “Come on Shannon let’s go dance.”

“Hold on.” I said pulling my arm away from her.

I walked up to Lauren so close that we were practically touching. “You’re one to talk. Did you even look in the mirror before you left?”

She scoffed and looked to Austin for help but after realizing he wasn’t going to she replied. “I bet you knew what Austin was dressed as so you decided to be Elizabeth. Are you that desperate?”

“Honey.” I smiled. “You are the picture of desperate. I couldn’t be wearing less if I showed up naked.”

That seemed to really set her off and I was glad. It’s about time someone stood up to her. I have been waiting to do that since day one and it feels great.

I threw her my bitchiest smile and turned on my heel to walk away. I didn’t even get two steps when I felt a pair of hands on my back pushing me forward and that was it.

I stumbled a few feet forward and before I was able to balance myself again and turned back to lunge at her. I don’t know what happened but all I knew was I was seeing red.  

Somehow Lauren and I ended up on the floor in a ball where there was hair pulling and punches being thrown. I could proudly say that most of them came from me although she did get in some good ones.

After she pulled my hair for the third time I rolled over on her and lifted my hand back to slap on her face when I felt someone pulling me off of her and saw someone pulling her away as well.

“Shannon, stop.” Austin ordered.

His arms were wrapped around my waist holding me back as my back rested against his chest.

He pulled me into one of the empty bedrooms and shut the door before turning on the lights so we could see.

“I told you not to fight with her. Don’t you remember who her dad is?” He said with anger in his voice.

“Why do you care?” I spat. “It’s not like I need you to look out for me.”

“Obviously you do if you can’t control yourself no more than you did tonight.” He said.

I felt a little blood trickled down from my lip and wiped it away.

“Here let me look at that.” He said taking m face in his hands.

“Shouldn’t you be looking after you’re girlfriend? She got it worse than me.” I said.

“She’s not my girlfriend and I’d rather make sure you’re ok.” He said.

I felt his face breath on my face it was so close to mine and involuntarily moved closer almost meeting with his lips.

Austin’s eyes traveled down to my lips as he started to close the distance until I realized what I was happening and backed away.

“Well I don’t want or need your help so find someone who does.” I said painfully before walking away.

I felt tears in my eyes as I searched the house for Tins so we could leave. I’ve had about enough of this party for one night and I would love nothing more than to drown my sorrows eating ice cream and watching some Pride and Prejudice until I fall asleep.

I passed by the stairs to looking for Tins in all the dancing people when  her familiar yellow costume caught my attention on the top stair and I felt more unhappiness and shock take over.

Tin’s had her arms wrapped around Jesse’s neck sucking face with him as his arms were wound around her waist not even paying attention to anything going.

Before I let any other emotions take over my body I turned away from the scene and bumped into someone.

“Hey what’s wrong?” Jace asked looking me in the eyes.

“Nothing. “ I lied wiping away tears. “Can you take me home?”

“Sure.” He nodded. “I’ll get my car.”

“Thank you.” I lightly smiled.

“No problem, I was thinking about leaving anyway.” He said.

I don’t know if he was telling the truth or lying but either way it didn’t matter because I was just glad to be getting the hell out of there. This is been one literal night from hell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Here is the long chapter you asked for! I hope you were pleased with the length and the amount of drama along with it. In light of Halloween coming up I felt I should throw in something special for you so in case you don’t hear from me before then HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Please leave me lots of comments for the really long chapter (9 pages on word). Thanks a million!

Comment

Vote

Fan

Oh yeah, check out everyone’s costume to the side >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.6K 391 21
*Previously called 'Player Falling For A Nerd.' (: * Having a twin sister is something amazing. But that's the total opposite for Skylar. In fact, Sk...
252K 9.3K 25
Riley Brown. The name sends chills down the spines of her classmates. But that doesn't mean she's evil, in fact, she's very fun and brave behind that...
377K 9.6K 43
*Slow updates* After agreeing to be the focus of a college article, senior Charlie Murtaugh gets more than he bargains for when he's assigned a clue...
579 27 17
David is a player. He loves to go out and he brings a different girl home almost every night and never lets himself fall for any of them. Elle is a f...