400 Days After Fina

By JellOfAllTrades

It took 30 days for Jellane to fall in love and have her life turned around. 400 days after the death of Fin... More

400 Days After Fina
Day 400
Day 401
Day 402
Day 403
Day 404
Day 405
Day 420
Day 423
Day 426
Day 427
Day 430
Day 434
Day 435
Day 449
Day 450
Day 451
Day 454
Day 468
Day 472
Day 473
Day 474
Day 475
Day 479
Day 481
Day 482
Day 483
Day 484
Day 492
Day 493
Day 494
Day 495
Day 496
Day 501
Day 760
From the Author
Bonus: Jellane's Letter #1

Day 422

2.3K 147 13
By JellOfAllTrades

400 Days After Fina by JellOfAllTrades
Chapter 8

I parked my car beside Jaime's electric blue Mustang GT and got out to meet him inside the restaurant.

We've been going to this restaurant since college because Jaime likes the manager. He's seated beside the glass wall with a beautiful view of the garden outside, sipping on a glass of wine and browsing on his phone. He always gets that table because of the view.

"Himala, wala kang nilalanding waitress?" I tell him as I sat down.

"Tapos na, ang tagal mo dumating eh."

"Good morning miss Jell," a waitress came to our table and handed me a menu.

"Thanks,"

She gave both of us a smile and then left. I scanned the menu and noticed Jaime looking bored as he sipped on his wine and looked out to the garden.

"Wala ba si Ariel?" I ask him, checking the staff of the restaurant for the manager that he likes.

"Naka-leave daw ngayon eh." He replies, nonchalantly.

"Are you upset she's not here?"

"Not really, no."

"Then why do you look so upset?"

"I'm bored."

"Well, what do you want to do?"

"Out of town, maybe."

"Well, don't expect me to come with you. Dami kong hinahabol from my time away from the office."

He leaned back and sipped on his wine. "I'm not asking you. Alam ko namang di ka sasama."

"Okay," I just shrugged and called for the waitress.

I give the waitress my order and Jaime just tells her he'll have his usual steak, mashed potatoes and gravy.

"Kumusta na pala yang ulo mo?" Jaime inquires as soon as the waitress has left.

"Di na sumasakit yung sugat. Pero sumasakit naman ulo ko sa trabaho."

He chuckles. "Ginusto mo yan eh."

"Speaking of sakit sa ulo, naaalala mo si Angel?"

"Yung babaeng nagsabing paiibigin ka?" He frowns.

"Yep. She's here in Manila." I tell him, cringing at the memory of Angel's declaration.

He claps his hand in delight and leans closer to me. "That's great! Isama mo siya sa bar on Friday! I want to meet this girl!"

I roll my eyes at him. "I highly doubt I can convince her to come."

"C'mon, Jell. I just want to meet her. Di ba sabi mo she's kind of like Fina? Para naman magka-idea ako sa kung anong type mo!"

I glare at him and he backs off, realizing he has touched a sensitive topic.

"How about bring her to dinner with the gang na lang? If she wants, isama natin sa bar afterwards." Jaime suggests. "Promise, I'll behave."

"Baka ma-culture shock siya."

"You know how accommodating we can be. Just bring her to dinner and we'll figure out the rest from there. We'll let you two go kung di niya kami feel kasama."

The waitress from before arrives with my coffee. She tells us our food will be out soon and then leaves again.

Jaime watched the waitress walk away before leaning in a little closer and lowering his voice.

"Look, you've been pretty distant since last year. You were never the same since Fina. If Angel is here and she can help you through your issues better than we can, I want to meet her." Jaime says in a serious tone reserved only for the people he cares about.

I look out to the garden and let out a sigh. "Fine."

He finishes his wine as our food arrived and requested another glass. I ordered a simple caesar salad as I figured it's the only food I can eat a whole plate of without vomiting afterward.

"You should try to eat more," Jaime noted. "Ang payat mo na. Parang nawawala na yang dibdib mo."

"Kelan mo pa pinansin dibdib ko?"

"Ngayon?"

"I don't care kung maging flat ako. It doesn't matter that much to me anyway."

"Pano ka makaka-pickup ng chicks niyan?"

"This face?" I ask, my heart out of the topic.

He thinks about it for a moment. "Good point. Anyway, when are you going back into the game? I miss my wingman."

I let out another sigh. He never fails to ask me this question. At first, I just tell him I'll get back to it eventually but as the months passed, I've come to realize I'll never get back to it. I can't imagine myself with someone that isn't Fina.

From the corner of my eye, I saw a flicker of a white dress. I quickly turned to look but found nothing.

"You know, if you don't want to pick up chicks I can just hook you up with someone." Jaime continued, getting my attention back from the garden.

"I don't think it's a good idea, Jaime."

He purses his lips at this but accepts my answer nonetheless.

The waitress returns with his wine. He picks it up and then looked at me like he had a bright idea. "How about I help you with Angel?"

I choked on my salad and look at him. "What made you think I want to be with her?"

"Yung promise niya?"

"Akala ko ba bawal mainlove?"

"Well," he pauses, unsure if he should continue, "you've already fallen in love with Fina. I won't hold it against you if you're moving on to a more...serious relationship."

I laugh. "So, pinapaubaya mo na ako kay Angel? Ganon ba yun?"

"Hindi naman. I'm just saying, if you don't want to go back into the game, maybe you'll be happier if you're in a stable and mature relationship." Jaime explained. "That's all I want, to see my sister happy."

I stare at the lettuce on my plate. There's a grated cheese hanging on the edge of the leaf and I kind of feel like I'm the cheese, dangling on the edge of a cliff. Using my fork, I push the cheese off the lettuce. And then I crushed it.

"Let's talk about something else, please."

Jaime looked like he was expecting my answer. He sips on his wine again, changes the topic, and starts to eat his steak.

After my lunch with Jaime, I returned to the office to continue work. By seven p.m. I pack up my stuff and leave.

I was halfway to my condo when I remembered I need to invite Angel for dinner on Friday. With her losing her cellphone, I'll have to visit her to be able to talk to her. So I turn my car on the next intersection and hoped I remembered the way to her place accurately.

Half an hour later, after the traffic and numerous wrong turns, I found myself in front of Angel's aunt's house. I park my car and locked it, making sure the alarms are on since I passed a few curious looks.

There was a doorbell next to the gate. I rang it twice to no result so I decided it's best to just knock on the small gate and shout for them.

"TAO PO?!"

A few seconds after my initial banging, a silhouette of a head appeared on the window to look.

"Andiyan po si Angel?" I ask the head, guessing it's Angel's cousin from a few days ago.

The head disappeared behind the curtains and I faintly hear a boy shout from inside. "Ate Angel, may bisita ka!"

"Teka lang!" Angel shouted from inside.

I waited for a few seconds until the door finally opened to reveal a disheveled Angel. Her hair is up in a messy bun, she's wearing a sweaty large white t-shirt and a pair of light green shorts.

"Jellane?" She approached the gate and opened it for me. "Napadaan ka?"

"Iimbitahan sana kita sa Friday."

"Anong meron sa Friday?"

"Dinner lang kasama mga kaibigan ko. Gusto ka makilala ng best friend ko."

Her eyes looked excited for about a second and then as quickly as it happened, the smile turned into a sad face.

"Gusto ko sana sumama kaso wala akong pera?"

"Wag ka---"

"ANGEL! YUNG NILULUTO MO!" An angry shout came from inside the house.

"Oh, shet." Angel flinched and then ran inside the house and disappeared to the kitchen, leaving me by the gate. She was probably cooking when I arrived.

I waited for a couple of minutes, pondering about my decision to invite her. I thought about going near the door to check on her. But it seemed weird since she never invited me inside the house so I stayed by the gates. I looked around the house's small facade, noticing the rusted roof, the cracks on the wall, the faded and peeling paint. I was staring at what seems to be a cobweb at the corner of the roof when Angel returned, holding her left arm.

"Sorry ah? Nakalimutan ko yung niluluto ko sa kusina." Angel apologized. "Kumain ka na ba?"

"Kumain na ako," I lift her face up because her eyes were watery and I'm unsure if she was crying. "Okay ka lang? What happened?"

"Natalsikan lang akong mantika," she excused, stepping away from me.

I noticed her rubbing her left arm as if it hurt and wondered if she's telling the truth.

"Ano nga pala yung sasabihin mo?"

"Libre na kita sa Friday. Sumama ka lang." I tell her, deciding that Friday may be a better time to question her about her living conditions.

Angel looked back towards the house. "Magpapaalam lang ako kay tita."

"That's fine. Basta Friday, seven p.m. susunduin kita. Ako na bahala sayo. Ihahatid rin kita pauwi."

"Di ako sure, Jellane ah? Gusto ko sumama pero pag di ako pinayagan ni tita, pasensya ka na ah?"

I nodded, understanding. "May bagong cellphone ka na ba? Para matawagan na lang kita."

"Wala pa eh,"

"Okay, sige. Daanan na lang kita dito ng Friday. Pag di ka pinayagan ako gagawa ng paraan." I smile at her to let her know that I'll help her if she needs me.

Angel smiles back. "Ikaw bahala."

That Friday, I remember the way to their house a lot better and I arrive there a couple of minutes past seven o'clock. As I got out of my car, I realized it's a lot noisier in the place. Profanities were being shouted and a couple of times I hear a loud clap as if someone had slapped another person.

I get to Angel's gate and realize the shouting was coming from inside their house. The cursing sounded pretty much like Angel's aunt.

I worriedly bang on the gate, "ANGEL?!"

The shouting stopped and then the front door rattled as if it was hit from the inside. A full minute passed and I knock on the gate again.

"Angel?! Andiyan ka ba?"

The door slowly opened and Angel peeked out. "Jellane?"

"Hi," I wave at her.

She bites her lower lip. "Sorry, Jellane, di ako pinayagan ni tita eh."

"Okay ka lang ba?" I ask. "Narinig ko yung sigawan. Nagaaway ba kayo?"

"Hindi. Yung TV lang yun. Nanunuod kasi ng action movie si Coby."

"Sigurado ka?"

"Yeah."

Only her head is visible from her position in the barely open door. She's hiding her body from me.

"Angel, gusto mo bang tumawag ako ng pulis? O kaya ng baranggay tanod?" I offered. "Mukhang di ka okay eh."

"Okay lang talaga ako, Jellane."

"Pwede ko ba makausap yung tita mo?"

"Ahh, busy si tita sa kusina."

"Patawag naman. Kakausapin ko pa rin siya."

Angel looked behind her. "Teka lang."

She closed the door and I was left at the gate looking at their house.

If I'm right, Angel is lying and is being abused in this house. And if I'm wrong and she's telling the truth, I still need to talk to her aunt so I can get her to come with me to the restaurant tonight.

I'm unsure how long it took but the door opened again and Angel got out. This time, she's wearing a decent t-shirt and pants. She approached the gate and opened it.

"Kinausap ko ulit si tita, sabi ko andito ka na para sunduin ako. Pumayag na siya basta iuuwi mo daw ako before mag-twelve ng gabi." She says in a hurry while closing the gate behind her.

"Okay,"

I opened the car door for her and she climbed in. I quickly went to the driver's side and got in.

Angel has already strapped her seatbelt on so I did the same and drove away. However, what happened back at their place is bothering me so I stopped the car on the side of the road and opened the lights.

"Bakit tumigil ka? Andito na ba tayo?" Angel asked, looking around.

"May titingnan lang ako." I tell her, reaching for her hands.

Angel looked alarmed and tried to snatch her hands away but I held it firmly.

I inspected her hands which are calloused and then her arms, finding nothing until I lifted her sleeves and found bruises.

I looked at Angel but she's looking away, tears are on the edge of her eyes. She straightened her sleeves, hiding the bruises once more.

"Inaabuso ka nila dun?" I said softly, closing the light.

Angel looked terrified but nodded carefully. "Galit na galit si tita na nawala ko yung pera niya."

"Pera lang yun, Angel. Pwede pang kitain ulit. Hindi ka dapat pumayag sa pananakit nila sayo."

"Eh, wala naman akong magagawa."

"I'll get you a job and maybe a new place."

She looked at me hopefully. "Kahit tulungan mo na lang ako maghanap ng trabaho."

"Angel..."

"Please? Magtataka sila mama pag umalis ako kila tita."

I let out a sigh. "Fine. Basta di pwedeng magpapa-api ka na lang sa kanila."

"Di naman nila ako inaapi eh. Nanggigigil lang si tita sa akin pag may nagagawa akong mali."

I purse my lips, wanting to argue about how that's not right, instead, I reach for the bag I keep under the back seat and open it. Inside are a change of clothes I keep for the few times I end up staying the night in the office. I take the black cotton jacket inside and hand it to Angel.

"Suotin mo to. Baka mapansin nila Jaime yang pasa mo sa braso."

She takes the jacket. "Salamat."

"Sa braso ka lang ba may pasa?"

"May mga kurot din ako sa katawan."

"Kurot lang?"

She nods.

"Eh pano mo nakuha yang pasa? Sinusuntok ka ba niya?"

She shakes her head. "May manipis na kahoy siya sa bahay. Hinahataw niya ako sa braso o kaya sa binti pero di niya pinapadaplis sa balat ko. Palaging sa damit niya sinasakto."

"Para maitago mo?"

"Para di masyadong masakit siguro." She whispered, rubbing her right arm.

"Ano pang ginagawa niya sayo?"

"Yun lang."

"Sinisigawan ka niya?"

She nods.

"Minumura?"

She nods again.

"Bakit di ka na lang umuwi ng Calauag kung pinapahirapan ka lang ng tita mo dito?"

She frowns. "Alam mo namang pangarap ko to?"

I look away. "Oo nga, pero..."

"Ngayon lang naman to."

I let out a sigh and restart the car. "It was just a thought, sorry."

The drive to the restaurant that Jaime picked took us almost an hour because of the traffic. Angel was silent for the whole ride. I opened a few topics here and there but she would let the conversation die out quickly as if she's embarrassed by what I saw earlier and scared I'd bring it up.

We both got out of the car and went inside the restaurant. Jaime and our friends come here a lot for dinner before going to the bar or clubs so the employees know us already. The waitress recognized me and directed us to a booth where Jaime, his girlfriend of the month whom I've forgotten the name, Dina, Fred and CJ are munching on appetizers.

"There they are!" Jaime stood up to greet us. He gave me a quick hug and then held Angel's hand. "You must be Angel?"

"Ahh, oo." Angel consciously looked at me, obviously bothered by my best friend's overenthusiastic greeting.

"Wonderful!" Jaime exclaimed and then turned to look at the group. "Guys, si Angel! From Quezon!"

The guys raised their glasses for Angel which made me shake my head. These weirdos are making too much of a fuss over Angel.

"Maupo na kayo. Okay lang ba sa inyo ang pizza?" Dina, our gay friend asked. "Nag-order na kasi kami kanina bago kayo dumating. Pero kung may gusto kayong pagkain pwede naman umorder ulit."

"Okay na yun." I motioned for Angel to enter the booth and I followed suit.

"So, it's nice to meet you, Angel!" CJ starts beside Dina.

I lean to whisper on Angel's ear. "That's CJ. Si Dina yung katabi niya sa kaliwa tapos si Fred sa kanan niya."

"Hoy, mamaya na landian!" Dina waved at me.

"Di ko siya nilalandi, may binubulong lang!" I defended.

"Angel, may gusto ka ba? Anong gusto mong inumin?" Jaime asked, waving for a waiter to get us a menu.

"Kahit tubig lang." Angel said in a shy voice.

"Umiinom ka ba?" CJ asked, taking a sip from his cocktail.

Angel smiled. "Oo, pero pag may okasyon lang saka di ako malakas uminom."

I raised my eyebrow at her, not expecting her answer. I thought she doesn't drink alcohol considering her best friend had liver cancer.

"Inom tayo mamaya?" Fred asked Angel but winking at me.

I let out a sigh, knowing what that wink meant. Other than Jaime, Fred would also occasionally wingman for either of us, it's just that Jaime and I are more accustomed to each other. Since last year, Fred has been Jaime's main wingman. He thinks he can wingman for me tonight.

"Kayo na lang. I don't drink anymore," I remind them.

"Ayoko rin uminom ngayon. Sorry." Angel says.

"Sure ka?" Jaime goaded. "Sagot na kita tonight kung iinom ka. I'm sure Jell won't mind."

Angel gives me a look and I just return her gaze. It's up to her if she wants to drink but I'm not going to. I still have to drive her home.

"Wag na lang. Salamat talaga." Angel replied.

Jaime's smile wavered but he kept it up. "Your lost. Anyway, bawi ka na lang sa birthday ko."

"Kailan ba birthday mo?" Angel asked.

"Next month pa naman. Invited ka ah! Sisiguraduhin kong isasama ka ni Jell!" Jaime said.

Angel turned to me once more as if she's asking for my approval and I just nod at her. She turns to Jaime and chirps, "sige! Basta si Jellane bahala sa akin, pupunta ako."

"That's great!"

The food came and we started to dig in. Angel was pretty shy so I placed food on her plate. I wasn't sure about how much she's eating back home so I made sure to give her plenty. She looked like she wanted to protest but I told her to just give me the food she couldn't finish (although honestly, I'm not going to eat it anyway).

As we are all eating, Fred looked at Angel. "Gano katagal na pala kayo magkakilala ni Jell?"

"Last year lang, pero di naman kami nagkakausap masyado."

"Kilala mo si Fina?" Dina asked Angel and I choked on my pizza crust.

"Best friend ko siya,"

"So alam mo kung anong nangyari sa kanila ni Jell last year?" Dina continued.

I bit the inside of my cheeks. I don't want to talk about her.

Angel looked at me once more and she probably saw my discomfort. "Alam, pero madami rin kasi nangyari last year."

"So alam mo kung bakit ayaw na uminom ni Jell?" Fred pushed the conversation.

"Kahit naman ako aayaw sa alak kung ako siya." Angel answered. "Pinipilit niyo ba siyang uminom ulit?"

"Hindi naman," Fred backpedaled. "Pero mas masaya kasi kami noong umiinom pa siya."

Angel took the pitcher of iced tea and poured herself a glass. And then she handed the glass to me.

"Isipin niyo alak yung iniinom niya na may halong iced tea." Angel said. "May nagbago ba sa kanya?"

Fred and Dina couldn't answer.

"Exactly," Angel said, "uminom siya o hindi, walang nagbago. Kung may nag-iba man kay Jellane, siya mismo. Hindi lang yung pagtigil niyang uminom."

I wanted to leave earlier. But now that Angel has defended me, I feel like introducing her to my friends is the best thing I've ever done.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Jaime smile as if impressed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 112 35
COMPLETED. Gravendelle University Series #1. Friendship. Truth. Forgiveness. Healing. Trust. Love. Without these, can anyone ever live? Is it possib...
3.6M 97.2K 63
[PROFESSOR SERIES I] Khione Amora Avila is a transferee student at Wesbech University who aimed to have a fresh start. She only had one goal in life...
109K 1.7K 75
Apat na taon ng kasal si Shu sa isang lalaking ni minsan ay hindi pa niya nakikita o narinig manlang ang boses. Palibhasa ay hindi naman siya dapat a...
Don't Breathe By Cj

Mystery / Thriller

15.5K 568 4
They are blind when the morning strikes. They smell your fear, hear your breathe and heartbeat. If you want to live, they have only one rule: Pleas...