Heir to the Empire

By RobClark5

Frustrated by simple village life, Huntress Loldirr longs for something more. Her desire to leave her home to... More

Introduction
Prologue
1. Greenhaven
2. Small Regrets
3. Darkness Falls
4. Grave Lineage
5. Escape the Shadow
6. The Rose of White Road
7. The Shadow
8. White Harbour
9. The Sea Horse
10. Judge, Jury, Executioner
11. Gryffinfall
12. The Tower of Mages
13. The Trial of the Sphere
14. The Elemental Sorceress
15. Ravenscourt
17. Conscience - Loldirr
18. Old Acquaintances - Ethelston
19. Fire & Ice - Erdudvyl
20. Apricot & Honey - Ethelston
21. Lionmane - Erdudvyl
22. The Black Knife Syndicate - Ethelston
23. To Eat With A Lion - Loldirr
24. The Pommel, Quillion & Blade - Ethelston
25. The Lions Den - Erdudvyl
26. A Privilege to Serve - Loldirr
27. The Lion Roars - Erdudvyl
28. Captivity - Loldirr
29. Light the Pyre - Erdudvyl
30. Embrace Death - Loldirr
31. Assassin - Ethelston
32. Pigeon - Erdudvyl
33. The Act of Betrayal - Ethelston
34. The Fool - Loldirr
35. Hagrefjord - Ethelston
36. The Great Escape - Erdudvyl
37. The Saviour - Loldirr
38. Civil Unrest - Ethelston
39. The Blade - Ethelston
40. Know your enemy - Loldirr
41. The Widow Maker - Erdudvyl
42. A brush with death - Loldirr
43. Knight Inquisitor - Ethelston
44. The Fæordic - Loldirr
45. The Elf and the Hunter
46. Wraithslayer - Loldirr
47. For the Realm - Ethelston
48. Jorguldheim - Loldirr
49. Siege Preparations - Erdudvyl
50. The Winter Witch - Loldirr
51. Parlay - Ethelston
52. The Secret Passage - Erdudvyl
53. Besieged - Ethelston
54. The Battle of Ravenscourt - Ethelston
55. Rising Phoenix - Loldirr
56. Death's Bain
57. The Sixth Sphere
58. First Knight Inquisitor
59. The beginning of the end
** What to read next **

16. Darke Reunion

106 23 5
By RobClark5

"STOP, PLEASE STOP!"

The screams from the wounded man pierced the quiet streets of Ravenscourt, so much so that various locals had vacated their homes to spy on the unusual events.

The Reaper lay on the muddy floor in agony, an arrow poked viciously out of his thigh which he was holding onto precariously.

His screams, once again, curddled the atmosphere as Ethelston nonchalantly stood hard on the area close to where the arrow protruded. The Reaper looked up towards Ethelston's two compatriots, who gave him no sympathy. Erdudvyl stood with her arms folded while Loldirr was to busy attempting to remove the hardening mud from her once red hair.

Kneeling down, Ethelston looked directly at the Reaper and smiled. "Look, all I want to know is a bit of information. I'm sure you would prefer having your leg looked at as soon as possible?" he smiled.

The Reaper nodded. They had only been in this situation for under a minute, but the pain searing through his body felt like they had been at it for far longer." What do you want to know?"

Ethelston patted the Reaper's bald head. "I knew you'd see reason. Tell me about the Black Knife Syndicate?"

"They run the Ravenscourt lower town." he spoke quickly in the hope the discomfort would disappear just as abruptly. "Run the taverns, armour and weaponsmiths, farmers, practically everything."

"The protection fee?" Ethelston asked.

"Everyone is expected to pay. If they don't, they are not welcome in Ravenscourt."

"Who runs the syndicate?" Ethelston asked while stroking his beard, watching the locals just in case any were considered hostile.

"I don't know." the Reaper responded.

Standing up slowly, Ethelston sighed. Gradually placing pressure on the Reapers wound, the screams from the defeated rogue were excruciating.

"I DON'T KNOW!" he screamed.

As Ethelston removed the pressure, he knelt down to the wounded man once more.

"I don't know," the Reaper panted. "I'm just a sergeant in the organisation, not many know who runs it. Rumour has it that there is more than one person."

Watching the defeated eyes of the wounded man, Ethelston remained silent, determining whether the words were indeed true. Eventually, he decided not to press the issue. He still had one more question, the most immediately important question.

"The guards, what's your arrangement. You answer satisfactory and you will leave with your life." Ethelston asked with a hint of malice in his voice.

"The protection fees, we split it with them. They get thirty percent to look in the other direction."

Ethelston looked away, his jaw appeared tense, his body stiff. "Is this arrangement with the Captain of the guard?"

"No, " the Reaper shook his head, "With Lord Darke himself."

Ethelston stood up briskly, an anger seemed to flash across his face. Turning towards Erdudvyl he stood next to her so only the two of them could hear each other. "This man speaks true, can you do anything to ease his pain?"

The Elf threw a uneasy glance towards Ethelston. "Not without personal risk. People can not know of my power here until we have established ourselves."

"What about a remedy, surely everything doesn't need to about fancy sorceressing!"

Erdudvyl chuckled at the obviously made-up word. "Sometimes I can not tell if you are of intelligence or if you were dropped on your head as an infant. I can give him something small to ease the pain."

Ethelston returned the smile "Elves have funny ways of insulting people. We finish here and then continue our journey to the keep."

Erdudvyl knelt down, making sure that her hood covered most of her facial features. Removing a small flower from a pouch on her hip she spoke quietly over it before passing it to the Reaper. "Take this, eat it, it will ease your pain. Get to a doctor quick though, the longer the arrow is not dealt with, the greater the chance is of losing your leg."

The Reaper just looked at her bright blue eyes, almost lost in them. He tried to thank her but instead grunted helplessly.

Leaving the carnage behind them, the three compatriots headed towards the keep leaving the injured Reaper to fend for himself. As more locals started to exit their homes, a part of Erdudvyl wondered whether he would get the help he desperately needed.

***

Despite the suns rays highlighting areas of the Ravenscourt ground, the mood in the streets up to the keep gates still felt rather bleak.

It came as a moment of relief as the keep gate were guarded by a couple of light-hearted individuals, both with dangerous-looking halberds leaning against their shoulders. What they were laughing about could not be heard but the moment Ethelston, Loldirr and Erdudvyl came into view, their smiles disappeared and their halberds were switched quickly from shoulders to hands.

Looking through the slit of his sallet, an elder soldier, with a beard mixed grey and black, grimaced as the travellers edged closer. His hands held the halberd tightly, the clanging of his armour confirmed he was ready to fight if necessary.

Ethelston looked up at the tall walls that towered them either side, aware that there were likely other soldiers with crossbows at the ready, should this situation become dramatically hostile.

"State your business." the soldier said, a tone of hostility in his voice.

Ethelston placed his arms to his side, determined to not escalate the situation. "We have come to see Sir Millendahl on urgent business."

"Not happening." the soldier replied abruptly.

"You misunderstand, " Ethelston gestured for his name.

"Arminell. Arminell Sourly."

"You misunderstand Arminell Sourly. We have travelled a fair distance to meet the Lord of Ravenscourt, it concerns the realm."

Arminell face contorted as if into a frown. With half his face covered in the sallet, it was difficult to tell. "His lordship has demanded that he not be disturbed. Unless there be an army or dragons or sommit, he'd not be disturbed."

"Do we mention the army of the dead that is on the move?" commented Loldirr just loud enough for all to hear, "And what is it about this place and dragons!"

Ethelston raised his hand slightly, encouraging Loldirr to remain quiet. Arminell seemed to just look at her in disgust. "Aye, dragons." he commented.

"Arminell, you seem like a diligent soldier." Ethelston commented edging a little closer to him.

"Twenty-five years of diligent service to the Lords of Ravenscourt. Never complained a day." Arminell gloated.

A grunt came from his comrade, which he ignored turning his eyes back towards Ethelston.

Edging a little closer Ethelston knew it would not be long before he would be entering the keep. "That I could imagine. And you have a couple of boys, a girl, happy wife?"

The soldier nodded, the metal of his coif rattling as he did so. "Aye, though my boys are on the front serving the Emperor's war." Arminell continued.

Ethelston couldn't help hearing some resentment in his voice at the mention of the war.

Looking at Ethelston, Arminell seemed somewhat briefly confused. "How'd you know of my family."

Knowing he'd have to be careful not to appear aggressive, or seemingly trying to blackmail the soldier, Ethelston smiled and placed his hand on the soldier's shoulder. "I feel we've met before young Arminell, I somehow don't believe this is our first encounter."

Arminell nodded. "Aye, you do look somewhat familiar to me, but young I ain't, forty-two winters I've graced this earth, so I've met a lot of people."

Slipping out a coin from a purse strapped to his hip, Ethelston let the gold reflect the sunlight onto the ground. "One each for you and your friend. We'll leave our weapons here with you. As I say, we have important business with Lord Millendahl."

The grips on the halberds were loosening, the focus on the golden coin with a lion head engraved on it becoming more intense. This was likely at least a months wages for them.

Arminell stood upright once more, his grip returned. "I'm sorry, but I cannot let you in." his voice quivered in uncertainty as he commented.

Ethelston took a step back and placed the coin back in his purse. The younger soldier appeared a bit on edge as the coin disappeared from sight.

With a smile, Ethelston said "I like you young Arminell, a man of dignity. Not many of those around in this day and age." he reached inside his purse once more and took out two coins. "I promise you that your lord, and your wife, will look favourably on you allowing us in."

***

As the door hinges creaked open, the sound of the door handles clanging echoed throughout the long hall.

As Arminell stepped forward he was closely shadowed by Ethelston, Loldirr and Erdudvyl.

Loldirr watched in amazement at the room they had just entered. The high walls appeared to stretch on forever until eventually the darkened ceiling gloomed over all that sat within. Pillars, spaced evenly, stretched up to support the structure, each holding various stone ravens in sitting positions, all seemingly watching the events of all goings-on within the hall.

The room was warm, despite its size, as steam could be seen through grates on the floor. Engineering of this magnitude, as far as Loldirr was concerned, was nothing short of spectacular.

Stepping forward, a long red and golden rug progressed towards a long dark mahogany table. The table could quite easily host fifty guests, but there was only one chair at the end, with the Lord of the manor sat at the head.

Despite the magnificence of the room, there was obvious tension. On a quick scan of the room, Loldirr could easily see ten guards in protective armour and halberds by their sides, positioned in various defensive positions. Another six stood on either side of the Lord Millendahl as he scoffed into, what appeared to be boar. The tightening of leather gloves and halberds appeared more apparent as each traveller, with Arminell edged forward.

Moving closer to Millendahl, Loldirr could see the resemblance between him and Edric, however, there was not the same kindness in his eyes, no smile on his face, and his hair was loose and ragged.

A lump seemed to appear in Loldirr's throat feeling like she was about to weep. As if the state of her hair and clothes were not embarrassing enough, randomly breaking down in tears would take her dignity to a new low.

"I said I was not to be disturbed." Millendahl responded angrily, his voice boomed throughout the hall. Their voices were similar too, but once again, the kindness that Loldirr had become familiar with Edric, was nowhere to be found in Millendahl's voice.

"I apologise milord, they said they were here on urgent..." Arminell tried to explain.

"Kirken, see that this soldier be escorted to the dungeon. If he can't follow simple instructions, perhaps he needs time to reflect on the rack." Millendahl interrupted.

A small, well-kept man, who stood by the side of Millendahl, pointed towards two guards to take Arminell away but were stopped abruptly when Ethelston took a step forward.

"My lord, this man should be rewarded for his diligence, not punished." Ethelston explained.

Millendahl ripped off a piece of meat, refusing to look up to the man who dared present himself in the hall without his permission. As he swallowed his food in frustration, he raised a finger towards the man next to him, Kirken.

"GUARDS!" Kirken reacted causing the room to burst into life.

A huge echoing clang resonated throughout the hall as all of the soldiers within it took stance, their halberds pointed forward.

Ethelston raised his hands, aware that they had their weapons removed before entering the hall. "Woah, there's no need to escalate this." he commented. "My Lord, can I suggest we discuss why we are here before things get out hand."

Millendahl turned his head slightly towards Kirken, the boar dripping in grease in his hands. "Why can I still hear voices. Perhaps you should remove this one's tongue before escorting them to the dungeon."

"Yes my Lord, " the calm spoken Kirken responded. He waved his hand encouraging the soldiers to move forward.

"Woah, stand down." Ethelston reacted, a frown appeared on his normally calm demeanour.

Kirken smiled "Only the lord of the Ravenscourt can command such. Guards, take them away."

There was an extremely tense nervousness within the hall now as the guards started to walk towards the travellers. Looking towards Ethelston, Loldirr and Erdudvyl wanted to know what his next course of action would be.

As calm as usual, Ethelston just smiled to Kirken, before reaching underneath his jacket and revealing a golden medallion. Removing it from his neck he threw it down on the table for all to see, instantly the guards stopped and placed their halberds against their shoulders. Kirken stood mouth wide open as Millendahl dropped his boar abruptly.

"I am Lord Ethelston Darke, son of Edric Darke, Grand Duke and rightful lord of Ravenscourt, Protector of the western province of the Isovine Empire, " leaning forward he managed to obtain eye contact for the first time with the confused Millendahl. "Good to see you uncle, I believe these soldiers now follow my commands."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.7K 2.7K 90
A forsaken God in exile, seeking to find his purpose. A soldier with a questionable past. Destiny picks the two most unlikely pieces upon the board a...
2.3K 70 8
4 courts. 3 secrets. 2 sides. 1 war. - Leila Bhat-Bayza, The Liar. She will do anything to keep the life she left behind in the First City secret. ...
34.7K 4.7K 44
Zahra has broken the seventh tenet of her people but not by choice. A wraithborne caught in a never-ending cycle of life and gruesome deaths. Now tet...