Among The Darkness

Bởi LunaMoon1947

Book #2 in the Into The Woods Series For the last six years, Tabari has been plagued by terrifying nightmares... Xem Thêm

A/N
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Options
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Epilogue
Out Of The Woods
New Book

Eight

2.9K 176 14
Bởi LunaMoon1947

Tabari stands as Bowyn enters the room, a scowl on his face. He glances around the room, his frown deepening as he spots Tabari.

"And what do you think you are doing in the servants quarters?" Bowyn says to Tabari.

"A pup was born and his mother died while giving birth to him, Your Majesty," A female omega says, stepping forward and bowing her head while curtsying. 

"The pup was not due for another month. How is it here already?" Bowyn asks the omega. 

"Her mate, Your Majesty," Another omega speaks up. "He hurt her very badly. She went into labor prematurely. It was clear that she was not going to survive the birthing process. "Petrova's final wish was for Tabari to take care of the pup."

"No. Tabari will not be taking the pup when it's father is still very much alive." 

"But please, Your Majesty,-" 

"No. There is no room for reasoning. Especially from you omegas. I will be taking the pup to its father and that is final. Now give me the pup, Tabari. Hand it over so it can go back to its rightful owner."

No," Tabari whispers. 

"What did you say to me?" 

"I said no. You can't send a pup, an omega, back to an abusive man! He would not survive the night! I will raise this pup! I do not want him to suffer his whole life!" 

"Of course he will suffer. He is a worthless omega. They deserve to get roughed up. They can't even look someone in the eye without cowering in fear! Pathetic omegas deserve their fates!" 

Tabari's heart clenches in pain and fear. His eyes raise to meet the King's. Bowyn's deep hazel eyes harden at the sign of disrespect. Tabari's gaze never wavers even though his wolf begs him to look away. 

"How dare you..." 

"What am I doing right now? I am looking you straight in the eyes. I will not submit to you. I will keep this pup and you will let me."

"I do not take orders from you," Bowyn snarls down at the omega. The other omegas leave the room, not wanting to be caught up in the fight that was bound to happen. 

"I am your mate! We are supposed to be equals! Omegas are not meant to be treated like garbage! Being thrown out when they are of no use and easily replaced! We are treated like we are something that is owned, treated as property! How is that fair to us? We are the same as every other wolf yet we are treated as the scum of the earth! Why did you take me from my home, my family, if you hate us omegas so strongly? Why?"

"Tabari," Bowyn growls, ignoring his words. "Give me the damn pup. Now!" 

"No!" 

Bowyn lunges at Tabari, the omega turning to protect Ambrose from Bowyn. Tabari is slammed against the wall, the boy yelping as his shoulder cracks against the stone surface. The pup in his arms wails painfully loud, afraid of Bowyn. 

"Tabari, hand it over or I will hurt you." 

"Never..."

Tabari screams as his legs are swept out from beneath him. He lands to the floor with a thud, his head slamming against the floor making his vision go black. He holds the pup closer to his chest, protecting him with his arms. 

The first punch lands on his jaw, dislocating it. Another punch to his eye, his cheek... Still, Tabari holds onto Ambrose, rolling over so the pup does not fall victim to the abuse. Tears roll down his cheeks as he screams in pain. Memories of him flowing to the forefront of his mind.

"Aww, Is the little bitch crying? Stop crying before I give you something to cry about."

As Tabari keeps crying, the man becomes angry. His hands curl into fists as he approaches the small boy tied to the bed. 

Fists rain down on the boy's small form. His cries heard throughout the orphanage by all of the inhabitants. Tabari's cries only grew as the man began to slide down the omega's pants. 

"No! Please, no!" 

"It's useless to struggle, boy," The man sneers. "Stop, or I'll hurt you more!" 

Tabari sobs, pleading for Bowyn to stop. Bowyn stands, huffing as the pup clings to the omega. A sudden wave of sickness washes over Bowyn. Any other time he had punished a disobedient omega he had felt powerful. Now he and his wolf felt light-headed. It felt... wrong... He only hit the omega four times. He was going easy on Tabari, so why did he feel so awful about laying his hand against the omega?

Feeling confused and conflicted, Bowyn stands up and glances down at his mate. He backs away from Tabari and makes his way to the door. 

"I'll be back for the little beast," Bowyn says, leaving Tabari on the floor, a sobbing mess. 

"I am so sorry, Ambrose," Tabari murmurs against the pup's flushed cheek. The pup's hiccuping breaths came out in short bursts. He was just as afraid as Tabari was, if not more. "We are going to leave tomorrow morning. I need some rest and time to heal. But once I am well-rested, I am going to take us back home. Somewhere we can be safe and live a good life like you deserve to live."

Ambrose tightens his grip in Tabari's shirt. The other omegas slowly file back into the room. Confused but relieved to see both Tabari and the pup. They help Tabari with his wounds and some female omegas prepare a bag full of food and water for Tabari and breast milk for the pup. 

By foot, the journey would be half a day. In wolf form, it would take hours depending on how fast the wolf was. Tabari was going to walk so he would not jostle the newborn pup too much, for it could hurt the pup. 

Tabari could not wait to be home with his family again. They would get to meet his pup and would be so proud of him that he saved the little one from a terrible situation. All would be well when he arrived home...

The next morning as the omegas prepared Tabari for the journey home, he could not help the feeling of lightness he felt. He had only been at the palace for one night and it was hell for him. He would be free of the pain in a few mere hours. He could only hope that nothing goes wrong during his journey. 

"Can you stand?" Chloe, an older female omega asks Tabari. 

"Yes, I can stand. I just need some food in me and I should be good to go. I want to leave before His Majesty wakes."

"And you remember the path you need to take to avoid the guards, right?" Another omega Thissilee adds. 

"Yes. The path to the west of the kingdom. Go around in a wide arc after walking eight thousand paces away from the palace. From there walk to the left another eight thousand paces and turn south. I know exactly where I am supposed to go. Thank you for all your help. I will send a carrier pigeon with a letter once I am home safely. I thank you for all of your help."

The omegas bid Tabari and Ambrose farewells and guide them to the exit tunnel in the servants' quarters. 

Tabari was now dressed in thicker clothing, not as durable and warm as what the higher-ups would wear, but enough to lessen the bite of the frosty air. Ambrose was dressed in clothes now, wrapped in a thick elk fur blanket. He was held to Tabari's chest with a cloth so it would be easier for Tabari to walk without worrying about holding or dropping the pup. 

Faded bruises marred Tabari's face, a reminder of what happened hours before. Making his decision to leave easier. 

Before Tabari left, an omega named Maddison places a small palm-sized bag into Tabari's satchel. 

"That is only for severe circumstances. If you are in danger and feel as if you won't be able to escape a terrible fate, place a pinch of the mixture under both you and Ambrose's tongues. The mixture is strong enough to kill you immediately and cause no pain. Please, do not use it unless you absolutely need to." 

"Thank you," Tabari bows his head in respect for the omegas. He made a promise to himself to come back for the omegas. They had too much potential to be locked away and treated poorly. 

Once Tabari was outside in the chilly early morning air, he felt as if he could finally breathe again. He follows the other omegas' instructions and makes his way past the guards safely. 

The sky overhead began to turn a deep grey. A sign of a storm fast approaching. Tabari debated turning back. But he remembered Bowyn's words. He would be back to take away the pup when he woke. Tabari makes up his mind and trudges onward through the snow. Wanting to put as much distance as he could between himself and his mate before Bowyn realized he had run away. 

Thirty minutes into his walk and it had begun to snow. Hard. The wind swirled around Tabari, making his skin flush an angry red. His eyes strained to see, barely making out objects in front of him. He struggles to stay on his feet as the wind threatens to push him over. 

The snow reaches up to his knees, making Tabari lift his legs impossibly high to be able to take a single step. He shivers violently in the cold, having wrapped his fur coat around Ambrose to hide him from the harsh weather, he had lost some of his protection from the cold. 

The grey blur of colors around Tabari was making him nervous. All he wanted to do was be able to curl up in his bed and have Akio wrapped around him while they read bedtime tales. He hoped that Akio was still tucked away in bed and not witnessing the harsh storm. There was nothing that Akio feared more than being stuck in a snowstorm. Oh, the stories Tabari would tell him when he got home...

Ambrose makes soft cooing noises against Tabari's chest. Tabari smiled through his chattering teeth, knowing that the pup was warm and safe. 

Thunder clapped violently in the sky, causing Tabari to startle. He yelps as he steps forward only to realize too late that he walked over a ledge. He lands on the ground harshly, gasping at the pain that rushes up his spine. 

He slides down the snowy hill on his back, clutching Ambrose close to him. He reaches the bottom of the ledge with a splash, cursing at the numbingly cold water. He fell into a river...

His lower half up to his waist was submerged in the frigid river. The water rushed past him, flowing over his body causing him to become numb. 

I can not die like this!

Tabari did not want to die in such a way. Freezing to death at the bottom of a hill where no one would find his body. He could not die when he needed to take Ambrose home. Where he could live a good life full of love and kindness.

He was going to die!

But then...

He remembers the mixture that the omega Maddison gave him. With shaking hands he fumbles around in the sachel. But it was no use, his hands refused to work. Tabari chokes on a sob, pulling the little pup closer with the last of his strength. 

"I-I am so s-sorry, A-ambrose..." Tabari whispers through chattering teeth. "I l-love you..."

Tabari's head lolls back, resting against the snowy ground. Snow begins to cover their bodies, chilling them to their cores. 

Tabari's vision swam with spots, slowly dimming the more time passed. With one final deep breath, his eyes droop shut as he loses consciousness. 

The crunching of snow underneath boots was barely noticeable over the howling of the wind. A shrill cry resounds through the air, making the figure stop walking. He almost didn't notice the ledge leading to a rushing river.

Sliding down the hill, Bowyn finds his mate, skin a pale color, arms wound around a bundle. The cries only grow as he bends down to check Tabari's pulse. 

"All this for an omega pup," Bowyn murmurs. 

He lifts his mate into his arms, wrapping his coat around the shivering boy. He glances down at the pup attached to Tabari's chest. Bowyn could always say that he only found Tabari and the pup was nowhere to be seen. 'Accidently' drop the pup on his way back. Lose him in the snow. But when his eyes met teary ones of the pup, he decides against it. 

If it wasn't for the pup's cries, he would not have found Tabari and they would have been dead within the hour. He owed it to the pup to keep him alive for leading him to his mate. 

"Fine, little mutt. You can stay. But I will say this now, I do not like you." 

Bowyn scoffs as the pup's lips quirk up the slightest. Tabari unconsciously nuzzles closer to Bowyn for warmth. His heart constricts as he spots the bruises covering Tabari's face. 

Bowyn had never felt guilty for anything he had done before so the new emotion was foreign and confusing for the King. All he knew was that he felt bad for hurting Tabari and would make it up to him by letting him keep the little mongrel that he had become so attached to in such a short amount of time. 

He would tell the man who fathered the pup that Tabari would be keeping it later. For now, the only thing Bowyn was focused on was getting Tabari and Ambrose back to the palace safely and out of harm's way. 

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

237K 13.3K 41
There first meeting wasn't great. One was called rude and the other thought he was childish. More than one encounters couldn't just be an incident. B...
445K 19.8K 27
~BOOK 1 Saviour series ~ **UNDER RECONSTRUCTION** Not everything is as it seems. Evan has never been loved, never been cared for. He has always been...
890K 42.4K 39
(BOOK 1) Drew Lyall knew his life would be full of obstacles. It was the fate he shared with all of the Omegas. Even though he knew the unlikelihood...
334K 8.7K 24
Benjamin is found in the forest while it's raining, cold and weak. A werewolf Alpha comes across him while patrolling the land and immediately knows...