The Workaholic's Wife

By mahumwrites

Now available as audiobook on Audible India. Scarlet Ray and Evan Parker are polar opposites of each other. S... More

NOTE
Characters
1. Of Pies And Rent
2. The Workaholic CEO
3. A Strange Proposal
4. The First Encounter
5. Billboards And Barbies
6. For The Ones We Love
7. A Deal With The Devil
8. Car Ride With Future Bride
9. I Now Pronounce You
10. Start Of Married Life
11. The First Party
12. All The Other Women
13. Breakfast And Brownies
14. Tiny Little Arguments
15. Miss. Perfect And Rain
16. Pillow Talks
17. Of New Friendships
18. The Fucked Up World
19. Shopping Buddies
20. Life As We Know It
21. Birthday Celebrations
22. Someone New, Someone Old
23. Public Display Of Affection
24. Torn By The Memories
25. Angry Or Not?
26. The Fluttering Of Heart
27. All The Sleepless Nights
28. Tease Me Not
29. Life In Malibu
30. Too Old To Play
31. Too Good To Be True
32. Two Types Of Emptiness
33. All The Broken Promises
34. Small Efforts
35. Back To Regular Life
36. The Season Of Heartbreaks
37. Symphony Of Love
39. All Shades Of Evan
40. All Work And No Play
41. Threats And Consequences
42. Of Movies And Cuddles
43. The Love Triangle
44. The Silent Whispers
45. Calm Before The Storm
46. Not So Workaholic Anymore
47. Goodbyes Are Difficult
48. In One Small Moment
49. Irreparably Broken
50. A Friend In Need
51. Anger, Hurt And Betrayal
52. La Famiglia
53. Life Without Her
54. Chef Evan Parker
55. Crazy In Love
56. Two Cups Of Coffee
57. Closer Than Ever
58. Baking With The Parkers
59. The New Addition
60. Changing Behaviours
61. Nine Months Of Hell
EPILOGUE
AUDIBLE UPDATE
NEW STORY ALERT

38. Through Thick And Thin

290K 13K 3.1K
By mahumwrites

Scarlet

"Here, sir. Your cinnamon bread. I hope you'll enjoy it." I smiled at the middle-aged man as I passed him the box. He took it from me as his grey eyes shone brightly on the sight of bread and then thanked me politely.

After he left, I moved to walk back to kitchen to help Liam but the sharp sound of heels entering into the bakery caught my attention. "Helena," I said, surprised at her arrival. I haven't talked to her since I came back from Malibu and I didn't know what was the protocol of meeting the girl who broke my best friend's heart.

"Scarlet," she reached me and then gave me a small hug. "I missed you so much." she said in a friendly manner and I stood there static, not knowing what to say.

"Um... Same." I replied hesitantly as I parted away from her. She looked wonderful as always in a blushing red jumpsuit, her long hair perfectly styled and her face covered with flawless makeup.

I took her to one of the tables arranged at the other sides of the hall. I asked her if she would like to have anything but she said she was full. "So tell me, how was your honeymoon?" she grinned at me in a suggestive manner.

"It was just a business trip." A blush crept up my cheeks as I remembered the night when he kissed me passionately. I have been dying to kiss him again but things weren't getting to it yet.

"Of course it was," she winked at me.

"What's going on in your life?" I asked to change the topic and keep on the conversation.

"Nothing much. Just work and..." she stopped talking while her eyes fixated on someone. I angled my neck to look at Liam standing on the counter, catching glances at us. They both had a little staring contest which was broken by Liam first.

"Liam told me what happened." I commented and her face hardened at this.

"I don't know why he made a big deal out of it. I never told him that we were exclusive or anything." she said sourly as she looked away from him.

"He is a wonderful person, Helena. I think you made a mistake." I told her and she narrowed her eyes.

"I don't do relationships, Scarlet. I can't spend my whole life with one person. There was only one man who made me want to leave all the other guys behind and that was Evan." she said in a gloomy voice and guilt filled me at this. When I married him, I didn't know someone else was interested in him.

"I don't know what to say." I replied honestly.

We changed the topic of our conversation to currents events happening in the country. Then she told me about a recent event where she met Leonardo DiCaprio. Her life was so interesting that it put my monotonous routine to shame.

"And you know, Gigi Hadid told me that---" Her gaze froze once again as it stopped at someone. "Who is this girl? I didn't see her last time."

I turned to look where she was looking and found Rachel and Liam talking to each other in a friendly manner. A frown appeared on Helena's face and if I was any better at judging people's expression, she looked slightly jealous.

"She is our new waitress." I told her.

"She is so..." she paused and threw daggers at her with her eyes. "Average. She doesn't look good with Liam."

The bitterness in her voice was as clear as the sky outside. I smirked as I commented, "She is really nice and more importantly, Liam's type. They look good together. They are just friends." I said and then added, "But who knows what the future holds for them."

"Hopefully, nothing." she rolled her eyes and then shifted her attention to her mobile screen. "I should go now. Bye."

"Bye." I said and watched her go. As she walked in front of Liam, they both greeted each other like two strangers but Liam's eyes lingered on her back until she was inside her car.

...........

I was working late again. We had to prepare order of a customized cake for an anniversary party and Liam had to leave early because her sister Jenna was in town. He took Rachel with him to hang out with her sister and now, I was alone in the bakery.

After the delivery man took the order, I decided to clean the bakery a little. I was in the middle of wiping the tables when I heard the door open. I turned towards the door and found the landlord Tank standing there with a scowl on his face. "You're late again. Where is the rent?"

"I.. Um.. I was actually just thinking about it. Don't worry. I'll give it to you by the end of this week. We have a big order coming up." I said in the most convincing tone possible.

He walked inside with an irritated look at his face. I gulped nervously as he made his way to the counter and picked up my untouched glass of juice to drink it without my permission. I balled my fists, trying to control my anger. "Excuses, excuses. If you can't afford it, why can't you get the fuck out?"

"I... I told you. Just give me this week." I said in a firm voice.

"And I told you earlier. If you repeated the delay again, I would practically drag you out." he grunted loudly and slowly made his way to me.

"Tank, there is no need to be disrespectful." I glared at him. This was no way to behave with someone when I have been nothing but respectful to him.

"Oh, shut up, you fucking---"

"You shut up, you... You... You rude man." I tried to find an appropriate insult but failed.

"Oh, so the kitten has a tongue. Well, say it from outside the shop." he said and attempted to grip my hand when a voice echoed, followed by the sound of door opening.

"I don't know who you are but if you touch my wife, I'll kill you with my bare hands." The familiar voice said. I gaped at the door as Evan stepped through it and made his way to us with a deadly glare on his face.

"Oh, so you're this girl's husband. Listen man, tell your wife to pay her rent." His tone softened a little because Evan was pretty intimidating, with his tall built and crisp black suit. Tank was a sexist who always used a better tone with men. "Otherwise, next time, she won't walk out of this place on her own."

"There won't be any next time." Evan said and my eyes widened in confusion. "My secretary will send you your money and then you can shove this place up your ass."

"What?" Both Tank and I said in unison.

He cast a glance at me that said that it would be better for me to shut up right now. He then glared dangerously at Tank who in return scowled at him and then walked past us out of the bakery. After he left, Evan turned towards me and said, "Why didn't you tell me you were having money problems?"

"Well, it wasn't part of the deal." I said, remembering how I refused to use his money for my own benefits. "And this was not something that affects your reputation so I couldn't use your money for it."

This seemed to tick him off and he took a step towards me. I tried to back away but he quickly moved forwards and pulled me towards him with an arm around my waist. "This marriage is just a deal?" he whispered and I struggled to stop losing myself in the whirlpool of his blue eyes.

"Um... I... You..."

He inclined his head so his lips were hovering over me. "Tell me. Did nothing change in these last few days?" he whispered again and my eyes closed at his closeness.

I gulped and rested my hands on his shoulder to support myself. In an instant, his lips met mine and my lungs stopped working. His lips were demanding while mine were submissive, the perfect combination for a perfect kiss. Our mouths moulded together, tugging, sucking, wanting more. Before finishing the kiss, he bit gently on my lower lip and a small frustrated groan made it's way through my throat. The kiss was brief but hot enough to make me feel dizzy because all the blood rushed to other places.

When he pulled his face away, his pupils were dialed and I was sure so were mine. "I'll ask Gabe to help you find the new place for your bakery." he said as he brushed my lower lip with his thumb.

"But I don't...."

"Ssshhh," he placed his finger on my lips. "Don't worry about money. Just buy the best damn place and all the best appliances you need. Understand?" he said, staring at my lips. "And I don't like to hear no."

"Okay." I whispered slowly.

"Good girl." he winked at me and I flushed red at his actions.

___________________________

Okay, a bad news.
I'm in my final year of med school and here, we have a 15 days rotation in obs/gynae wards once a year. During these 15 days, we are supposed to be in wards from morning till midnight, no weekends off. And this rotation is starting this Thursday so I might lag in updating during these 15 days.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.5K 5.3K 44
Infertility! A simple word but can create havoc in a woman's life. Specifically, if that said woman's husband is having an affair with his long-time...
266K 7.4K 26
*NEW BOOK! * BONUS CHAPTERS OUT NOW! They say he's hotter than sin, colder than ice. The CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Built from the ground up. He...
23.3M 804K 64
Alexander James is at the top of the food chain with his multi billion dollar company. Just the sound of his name makes men's blood boil in jealousy...
689K 31K 49
Top hash tags #1 - India #1 - ceo #1- arranged marriage #1- jealousy #2- dance #2-family #2- story telling In the heart of a traditional Indian fa...