52. La Famiglia

Scarlet

It had been five days since Cara's accident and tomorrow, she was getting discharged. I daily come to meet her after Evan is gone for some rest and leaves when he comes back. I haven't told Cara about the fight yet but I knew I had to, because she would find out tomorrow hard way.

My stay at Nate's apartment was still going. Although I felt bad for being an unwanted guest, I couldn't leave. Nate insisted I stay there until everything was resolved at home. Plus, we rarely crossed path. He was mostly outside and whenever he was in the apartment, he mostly stayed inside his room. I had resumed going to the bakery yesterday where I had to deal with a very apologetic Liam who thinks it was his fault that he called me and caused the accident, despite my constant efforts of telling him otherwise.

Right now, I was going to meet Cara after closing the bakery a little earlier. It was getting dark and Evan must be leaving by now. Through the silent hallways, I made my way to the post-op room. Hospitals always made me feel uneasy with the specific smell and the sight of sick people. I wish all the sickness could be eradicated from the earth.

Stopping in front of Cara's room, I entered inside and the scene going inside warmed my heart. Both Cara and Evan was sleeping, with Evan's head resting uncomfortably on Cara's bed and the rest of his body on the small chair. As much as I wanted to hate Evan for what he said to me, I couldn't. Because I know the fear of losing someone can make us do crazy things.

I felt pity for him because he must be really tired to sleep in such an uncomfortable position. He was existing on three to four hour sleep since Cara's accident and I don't know if he was eating properly or not.

I was still gawking at him when his eyes opened and he caught me watching him red-handed. I gulped and looked away, to save ourselves from the awkwardness.

"I'll stay with her. You can go home." I said without looking into his eyes.

"Okay," he whispered and then stood up to leave.

After he left, I sat down beside Cara and waited for her to wake up. I didn't have to wait longer because it took her just few more minutes to realize my presence and wake up. Once she did, I supported her in sitting up straight. Her wounds had started to fill up but she was still very weak.

"Did you eat?" I asked and she nodded.

"I am tired of eating hospital food." She pouted.

"Just one more day, Cara." I told her.

"Will you make pasta for me once I am home?" She asked and sadness filled my heart. I won't be there with her, with my family. In these past few months, I had grown really close to every one of them and now, life without these people feel so empty. I wish we could go back to being a family again.

"Cara, there is something I need to tell you." I said consciously, afraid to hear her response.

"Yes, mama." She whispered.

"I... I have to stay away for some days." I said and the corners of her lips turned downwards.

"But why?" She asked, sadness dripping from her voice.

"Because mama and Daddy had a little fight and they need to spend some days apart." I said. "But remember, we both love you so much."

She looked down at her lap and didn't speak anything for a moment. I stared at her, waiting for her to say something. After a moment later, she whispered, "Will you be back soon?"

"I... I will," I said although I didn't know if I will. Everything was so uncertain right now that I felt bad for giving her any hope. "Cara, will you do one thing for me?"

"Yes," she nodded.

"When Daddy comes, will you make him eat dinner in front of you?" I asked her.

"Sure," she replied.

"Good girl." Smiling, I leaned towards her to place a kiss on her forehead.

...........

Next day, Catheryn called me when Cara was going to be discharged. Leaving all the work, I rushed to the hospital to see her off. I reached her room in full speed and opened the door, only to find all three of them ready to leave.

"Hi," I said breathlessly to nobody in particular.

"Are you coming with us?" Cara asked, grinning.

"Um... No. I just came to see you off." I said and exchanged a glance with Evan who was already looking at me. His face were blank right now but a whirlpool was going on behind his expressive eyes.

"Come on, we have to empty the room." Evan picked her up in his arms. She was moving normally today, without any wince.

Catheryn and I walked behind him without saying anything. A gloomy silence was prevailed between all of us, making the air too thick to breathe. Cara was staring at me with sad eyes while her arms were locked around Evan's neck. I felt like screaming, that she is my daughter too, that you are my husband, that don't leave me behind, but I couldn't.

In the parking lot, his driver was already waiting for them. Evan carefully seated Cara in the back seat while Catheryn slipped beside her to hold her gently. After doing that, he angled his neck to look at me. I was standing silently beside their car, trying my best not to let my emotions embarass me in front of them.

"Bye Cara," I waved my hand at her. She waved back, after which Evan sat beside her. Through the plane glass, I saw his clenched jaw but importantly, the hint of moisture in his eyes. I wish I could decipher what was going on in his twisted mind.

The car started and with it, I felt wetness blurring my vision. I felt hurt, I felt sad but more importantly, I felt abandoned. To save me from the misery, I turned around and started walking.

But my feet stopped when I heard the sound of tyres screeching, after which the car came to a halt. I turned around in confusion when I found Evan walking out of the car and then towards me, an intense emotion plastered all over his face.

"Come with us, Scarlet. Please," he said on reaching me, the look of desperation clear on his face. He took my hands in between his large ones and whispered, "My house needs you. Cara needs you."

"And you? Do you need me?" I asked in a sharp tone.

"Me?" He mumbled in confusion.

"Evan, I don't want to come back, without knowing what is my place in your life. I can't waste my life on someone who would cut all ties with me whenever I commit any mistake. Is our relationship that fragile? Would I ever be a part of your family or would I always be a stranger for you, that you can throw out any time?" I questioned him.

"I know what I said hurt you. I... I wish I hadn't said that. I wish I could take my words back." He said, staring deep into my eyes.

"But you can't. What you said is written in my mind for good." I mumbled so that Cara won't hear me. "I think we should spend some days apart to realise what the other person mean to us."

With that, I walked away to stop a cab that was coming towards us. This time, it was him standing there while a car drove me away. Once I was out of his vision, the tears that I was controlling spilled out of my eyes and I started sobbing hard, ignoring the driver who was staring at me as if I was a crazy person.

Today, I made a decision, a cruel but necessary one.

_______________________

A second update for all those who were asking for it very passionately. But don't spoil your habits; just one update a day. :p