16. Pillow Talks

Scarlet

It has been two weeks since I got married, two weeks of being with the most workaholic person I ever met. Evan Parker is a lot to deal with. He isn't usually that bad but if you do anything that wastes his time or mess with his boring routine, prepare yourself to suffer from his wrath.

But I can bear all this for the little girl lying beside me, playing games on my mobile. Cara was literally an angel who can cure everything with her cute smile. Her presence makes my day a whole lot better.

"Okay, enough with the games. Time to sleep now, Cara." I said and asked her to give me my mobile back. Being her mother had taught me that you have to be a little strict sometime to maintain discipline.

She pouted at first but then gave me the mobile back. "Good girl," I said and leaned down to kiss her forehead.

"Good night, mama," she whispered as she snuggled into the pillow.

"Good night, sweetheart," I said and stood up from the bed. Tucking her in, I turned off all the lights, except the dim light of the lamp. With quite steps, I made my way out of her room and closed the door behind me.

Then I went to the kitchen to make coffee to cure my exhaustion. I had a huge order for a kid's birthday party so I had to overwork a little. While making coffee, Evan's thought crossed my mind and I decided to make one for him as well.

Putting both steaming hot cups on a tray, I made my way to his room. When I opened the door, I found him lying on the bed, instead of working on his desk. He looked exhausted; his hair was ruffled and there were dark circles around his eyes.

"I was just leaving," he said and stood up. Picking up his pillow and blanket, he went towards the couch.

"I made coffee for you," I passed him the cup. His eyes switched between the cup and my face, after which he took it from me. I observed him as he tried to cozy himself on the small couch and I felt bad for his legs that were protruding out of the couch in an uncomfortable manner.

"Evan," I whispered and he raised his head to look at me. "You can sleep on the bed. It's large enough for both of us."

"It's okay," he said and took a sip of the coffee. For a moment, he closed his eyes and a wave of relaxation washed over his handsome yet tired face.

"Please, I insist. This couch is too small for any of us." I said in a low voice and took a sip of my coffee.

He sighed as he contemplated what to do. After a minute or so, he stood up and walked back to the bed. He made himself comfortable beside me and his warmth filled the air around me. I was wrong, the bed wasn't large enough for me to not feel overwhelmed by his presence.

"How was your day?" I asked in a stupid attempt of starting a conversation.

"Busy," he said, as if wasn't clear from his tired face. "Yours?" he asked.

"Busy," I said and then added. "But fun."

His eyes traveled to me and I pulled the blanket closer to me on instinct. "Can I ask you something?" he asked.

His voice was so gentle that I couldn't help but sigh. "S... Sure." I said and took another sip of coffee to wet my throat.

"Is there anything going on between Liam and you? Or was there something before our marriage?" he asked and my eyes widened alarmingly.

My gaze immediately darted to him and I found his blue eyes piercing into mine impatiently. "Ew, he is like a brother to me." I said, making a disgusted face.

"For you, maybe. But men don't consider beautiful girls their sister." he said nonchalantly and my cheeks heated up at the word beautiful. This was the first time he had praised me for anything.

"Did you just call me beautiful?" I said with a hint of a smile lingering on my lips.

"I am not blind, Scarlet." he said dryly and the blush deepened.

No, don't embarss me. Go back, stupid blush.

"Um... Well... Liam consider me his sister. I know that." I said because I knew that. He practically walked me down the aisle. If that's not a proof, I don't know what is.

"If you say so," he shrugged and my gaze darted to his arms. The tight black T-shirt was hugging his broad arms perfectly and the sight was enough to make anyone drool. "Is there anyone else?"

"No," I said. I had no idea why he was hell bent on finding out my romantic endeavours.

"Don't tell me you're twenty five and never been in a serious relationship?" he asked, sounding genuinely surprised.

"Well, it isn't that unusual." I muttered in a weak voice.

This seemed to interest him and he turned his body towards me, his eyes fully focused on my face. Nervously, I ran my fingers through my hair and looked away.

"Tell me Scarlet, are you a virgin?" he asked and my face felt like it was seconds away from exploding. My throat dried completely and I stared at him as if he had grown two heads.

"I... Um... No." I lied because I didn't want to appear as a weird, twenty-five year old virgin. "I... I have had... Se... Um... physical relationships." I stammered badly.

My answer amused him more and a corner of his lips lifted upwards. "You are lying, aren't you?" he asked in his deep voice.

"No, I am not." I shrieked, defending myself.

"Yes, you are. Only a virgin hesitates before saying the word sex." he said, while smirking.

I couldn't bring myself to look into his eyes after I had embarrassed myself in front of him like that. "So what? It's not a crime to be a virgin." I huffed angrily and lay down on the bed, pulling the blanket over my head.

Beside me, I heard him chuckle, probably for the first time during the time I had known him. It was definitely the sexiest sound I have ever heard.

..........

Next morning, his mood went back to being his usual self and he left early without having breakfast. After the breakfast, Liam picked me up and we dropped Cara to her playschool.

I had few orders today so I first went to buy grocery for it. By 3, Liam and I had finished all the orders and made cinnamon bread for Cara.

I was in the kitchen when I heard a familiar voice outside. "Is anybody here?"

I took off the apron and made my way out to the counter. "Helena?" I said in surprised voice.

"Thank God, I thought I had wrong address." she said, smiling at me. She looked stunning in the peach fitted dress that she was wearing. Her hair was styled in loose curls in perfection and her makeup was on point. She was definitely the epitome of beauty and grace.

"Would you like to buy something?" I asked and she stared at the counter with calculative eyes.

"Well, I was here just to talk to you but everything looks delicious." she said. "Can you please ask someone to make coffee and some cookies for us while we talk?"

Nodding, I turned to look at Liam whose eyes were already focused towards us, more particularly on Helena. "Liam?" I called his name but he didn't listen. "Liam?" I repeated again.

Helena who had already noticed the awestruck Liam looked quite amused. When Liam didn't listen to me after the third time I called him, she finally said, "Take a picture, it will last longer."

That pulled him out of the trance and his eyes switched between both of us frantically. "Yes?"

"Can you please make two cups of coffee and some cookies?" I said, smirking at what just happened.

Deep red color coated his pale cheeks as he gulped. "Sure," he said and vanished into thin air within a second.

_______________________

It was a cute chapter. :P