Letters and Latte | Ryeji

By louvrelibrary

Innocent smiles, genuine laughters, and pristine hearts. Are love letters and sweet notes still a thing? Fort... More

Letters and Latte
01 - Pilot
02 - Walk
03 - Strawberry
04 - Simba
05 - S.R.J.
06 - Warmth
07 - Superstar
08 - Unsanitary
09 - Latte
10 - Sip
11 - Fan
12 - R's
13 - Temperature
15 - Mocha
16 - Yejoon
17 - Library
18 - Happy
19 - Notes
20 - Backstage
21 - Mute
22 - Cold
23 - Scary
24 - Finals
25 - Christmas
26 - Sunshine
27 - Seoul
28 - Dean's
29 - Dream
30 - Spring
31 - Family
32 - College
33 - Answer
34 - Gift
35 - Until

14 - Star

6.7K 277 453
By louvrelibrary

The late October breeze was mordant and Arcadian as the bold orange sun faded into the seemingly empty autumn evening sky. Crisp shades of rouge, canary, and tangerine from fallen leaves, minted a scrawny layer over the curtailed marmalade lawns of the neighborhood. Immediately noticeable bolder colors emerged from the decorations of the local estates, with its own scheme of dark hues lulled a corresponding theme of horror. 

It was one of best holiday for some people but could also be horrifying for others. It was a holiday where some people believed that lost spirits and soul of the dead that hadn't moved on would ascend from the ground again to haunt the serene lives of the living.

Many people glamoured in grandiose outfit, for it was not an ordinary day to disguise themselves as somebody else. Some also just dressed up just to be notable enough from the others. One way or another, everybody seemed to be prepared for what to show.

It was a perfect Halloween night. There was a full harvest moon, the wind was howling, the neighborhood was quiet, though kids were trick-or-treating. It was going perfectly well.

"Uh, Yeji, I'd just entertain some guests and you can get any drink you thirst for, okay?"

Yeji reluctantly nodded, grasping upon the forearm of the blondé in the midst of a huge crowd. They watched the raven haired girl sauntered away, bustling through the full packed kitchen. "Those clothes will look great in a crumpled heap on my bedroom floor." As soon as the two were left alone, a towering masculine guy blocked their way, wearing a cocky and dirty smirk across his slightly bearded face and lewd moustache.

Another guy dived into the scene, his eyes rapidly grew in terror, and cracked his fist over the back of his friend which earned a gawk from the latter. "What the fuck, man?"

"That's Hwang Yeji," the Korean-American guy emphasised to his friend, gripping a part of his torso, tugging him away. "I—we're very sorry, Yeji. He didn't mean it. He's tipsy."

An apologetic look expressed right through the cat eyed girl and genuinely accepted it. "Shit, I'm sorry, I thought, fuck—I shouldn't have." His friend dragged his embarrasing ass out of their faces, looking over his shoulder to utter another apology for Yeji, then bowing his head over and over again for sincerity.

Well, Yeji in a all-out set armour costume of Katniss Everdeen in Mockingjay was truly tempting and it would be damn rueful not to take a glance on her tonight at least once. But, her own thoughts told something else otherwise. She wasn't decisive enough how good looking she was.

"So you just let him got away with it as if he did the most decent thing on planet Earth?" A low, husky, and gracious tone resonated in her ears, so familiar she couldn't exactly fathom why she was hearing things in the most bizarre moment. "Hello, Yeddeong."

"...I didn't know you'll be here." The words were almost a fainted whisper, the noxious vibration of bass track roared through each walls surrounding them. "Uh, oh, well, hey."

Yeji loosened up her tight grip on the arm of Yuna, prying in a way she wouldn't get caught over Ryujin's so incredibly stylish outfit for tonight. "I like that hat of yours."

The uneasiness within slowly abated, after harkening the melodious chuckle. "Really? Of all things to say, that's what you noticed?"

"H-Huh?" She asked, confused.

"You can't just let people do you dirty. I mean, too much kindness can be bad too." Yeji warded her whilst she prompted the wine glass lid, kissing its mouth, sipping a right amount of tequila drink. "Yeddeong?"

Yeji wasn't that naive, of course, underage people may or may not had been following the policy of drinking restrictions. After all, they were in a party. Ethically speaking, it was a normal one to witness. But lawfully, they could be sent to welfare service office.

She pressed her lips together, licking all the edges of her lips. The only time the cat eyed girl was brought back to reality. "He apologised. I forgave. That's how it works generally, right?" She was left bewildered.

"Next time, punch him on the face and kick his stupid balls. That's how it works?" It wasn't a really big deal for Yeji, unless he was totally going to make a disgraceful act, that was something Yeji would take out of the hand. Plus she wasn't fond with violence.

"Before you ask questions, I was invited. I assumed, your companion too." Avowing her gaze on the blondé who was silently listening to them.

"Pink hurts my eye, but it definitely suits you."

"You look so cool." Yuna complimented her as well, Ryujin in a very modern south side serpent fit was supernal.

For a minute, Yeji wondered. This was only a seniors' party including Yuna's presence due to Lia. However, with Ryujin—no questions asked. It was also clear for the cat eyed girl. Yeji put the sad thought aside of her head. Parties were parties, she must be enjoying and not overthinking.

The loud chatters, electronic dance music, and a wild sea of crowd made harder for them to chat in the midst of all. Yuna leaned closer to Yeji, and whispered she was going to her club mates in the living room that was not like a common living room. It could already be considered a three single rooms of their school. "You seem to be used to this."

"Not really, this is only my third time. Did you finish—I mean the movie alone?" Ryujin said, wandering her observation to the walking or more like staggering seniors back and forth holding their hard liquor in their hand.

"Did you think I can?"

Ryujin deeply chuckled, it was the blasting bass drop that took over the rhythm of her voice, but Yeji as if only heard her laughter. "Sorry if I had to leave early. My long lost brother finally decided to come home."

"I just don't know how long he'll stay, at least he remembered he had an awesome sister."

"And maybe, he missed you too." Yeji spoke, stealing a glance from Ryujin. It was too hard not to stare upon once in a while. She was the coolest person tonight.

"Yeah, missed to annoy the hell out of me." She made a face, taking another quick sip.

"Where's Chaeryeong, by the way, I can't roam around all by myself." Not that Yeji was getting uneasy vibe from the rowdy party, the people were warm, but they were still fine to hang out with or perhaps the party had only began. Most of them were still truly clearheaded enough.

"Don't you like me to be your company? I can be as great as Chaeryeong too, Yeji." Her words caught the full attention of the cat eyed girl, Yeji took a brief glance just to be assured Ryujin still had sobriety.

"Kidding. Even if Lia invited her, knowing Chaeryeong, she will refuse. I only forced her the last time we had been to a party." Ryujin blurted out, opted to play and swirl the wine glass between her fingers. "Do you want to check out the pool area? It's pretty cool there."

Yeji nodded in response, making they way out of the grand house, stepping into much well trimmed grasses. There, a quite imperial vinyl-lined in-ground pool stoked the teens in daze. The pool was absolutely phenomenal, the water was as transparent as crystal clear. Everybody enjoyed it a lot.

"You said, you don't celebrate Halloween." They stayed in the corner, much distant to the splashing water, avoiding any contact to it. "I'm really surprised that you're here."

"It involves party. It's an exception." Ryujin shrugged, she finished up her drink quickly and asked for another hoard of quencher.

"It's only my fourth glass."

"I'm not saying anything." Yeji mused.

"You might be judging me at the back of your head already." The pink haired girl checked her out by her side from head to toe. No one dared to dress the same as her, and even if somebody did, Yeji would still indeed standout in her eyes.

Yeji giggled softly. "I'm far from that. You're the one that judged me here already."

"Fine," Ryujin flashed a grin. "Do you want me to get you a cocktail? Wine? What?"

"Uhm, just any light one." Yeji was reluctant.

In a second, Ryujin headed towards where distinctive beverages were exhibited, they were arranged pleasingly. Yeji had no single idea, well, she had, but not entirely fairish enough knowledge about what was light or strong drink for her. One thing was for sure, she was an apparent softhearted drinker.

And it would be ashamed not to try a taste of whichever drink available tonight. Yeji also wanted to explore, but not that momentous as she maintained to be sober all throughout the evening. Could she really stay that long in this environment?

"I got you a Malibu drink." Ryujin offered a glass replete with ice cubes with some very fresh fruits around and a miniature fancy umbrella clung upon the lid. "It's a mixed cranberry and pineapple juice. In short, it's purely juice. A cocktail."

She knew she could trust the way Ryujin had given her trust to her, with that, she immediately took a relish on her drink. Yeji would admit, she was hesitating but Ryujin and her enamored eyes told her to not be anxious. "How was it? Good? Bad?"

"Refreshing." It was true, the drink had the effect of making her boosted. "Thank you."

"No problem." Yeji noticed how Ryujin was able to finish her liquor quickly like a lightning striking by across the dark sky. It was already empty, and Ryujin asked for a refill from the wandering man in his bow tie and suit. "Fill it up until it pours out."

"What are you drinking?" A bit worried, Yeji murmured underneath her breath, setting up her single braid onto the other side of her shoulder. "Slow down..."

"Margarita. A kind of tequila. They say it's a girls' go to drink. It's really damn addictive."

Her eyes flickered differently now, it was a hooded, dazzled, and scattered hues of monochrome. The distinct forms of her smug and smirk were sharper. Her entire face was glistening with the beads of warm sweat trickling from her forehead down to the side of her cheeks. The awful effect of tequila was commencing in some slightest ways and maybe, Ryujin was too engrossed on herself.

"I can see it...I'll get you a water." Before Yeji could turn her back from the forward striker, Ryujin hooked her hand over Yeji's arm to prevent her from going away. "Hey?"

"No, stay here. Don't leave me." Ryujin looked at her with hazed vision, it was like a blurry lenses of camera in her eyes. And the only subject she was focused on was her.

Yeji.

"O-Okay..."

"You know, my stupid brother gave me this ugly jacket. It feels hot. I feel hot now."

"M-Maybe...you can wear it off in a while."

"Will I still look cool if I don't have it?" It was audible, what Yeji was worried about was Ryujin's capability to look straight. Her eyes kept falling off, it felt like it was heavy.

"You're already cool enough for me, Ryujin. Even if you wear your sports wear or this." The grip on Yeji was there, a thumb slowly stroked her exposed skin which was only a finger uncovered from the suit. "Ryujin?"

Ryujin smirked, a mischievous one. "Have I told you I can see forever in brown eyes?"

Yeji had beautiful eyes, the kind of everyone could get lost in. And in observation, Ryujin was one of the victims.

"N-No," Yeji trailed off, the familiar colourful butterflies zapped within, a warmth inside her chest burst out. "But I think I haven't mentioned you're tipsy and you might not know it." Yeji breathed out, anticipating for the latter's reaction.

"Tipsy? I doubt that. I still stand. To prove it, I will mention how insanely gorgeous you are tonight. You look perfect." Ryujin and her appealing modulated voice resonated chills on her. Ryujin stared at her intensively, and Yeji was almost spellbound.

Yeji let out an awkward chortle. "Don't be silly, no one will and ever be so flawless."

Ryujin smirked a little further, still looking at Yeji with the similar intensity since earlier. "Objectively speaking, you're not perfect. But you are for me." There, the near death of Yeji.

A mirage of white cobwebs covered in a few dozen fake spiders served as a veil for the magnificent structure in front of them. The party was beginning and a sense of volatile Halloween took over the crowd. The lights, speakers, and fog generators all sequentially turned on and thus begun a night of terror and recreation. The fixed speakers were all cleverly hidden behind themed figures with crude attention to detail and trees. The party was one of great character and enthusiasm, everybody was insanely fluke to be exactly where they were, enjoying a party in the best place possible.

After the dead pan air circulating in their atmosphere, Yeji turned quiet. And Ryujin kept blabbering the things she didn't really say on her normal state. It showed off how the drink was doing an absolute shit on her mind and body. Yeji had two options. Don't listen or be attentive at all. In Ryujin's case, Yeji would either hum or nod her head just to pretend she was all ears. She wanted to listen her stories, of course.

"Hold on, I really have a very interesting story to tell. It's my favourite of all time." Ryujin slurred a bit, putting down the glass and continued. "My mom used to share bed time stories to me before I sleep."

Of all things Ryujin groggily uttered in her druken—or tipsy if that was how she liked to call it, this particular story sparked Yeji's full interest. "Long, long time ago, a little star was with his mother in the night’s sky. They were happy. But the little star was always sad. And then, until one peaceful evening. The big stars laughed at him and teased him about his small size." Yeji listened very carefully.

"The little star often stared at the brilliance of the moon and the other big stars and wished to be like them. And always dreamt to be the brightest of all. Soon, the little star’s mother noticed how sad he was and she asked him. The little star told the story and just wept." Ryujin sounded melancholic too.

"His mother said, 'My love, each stars in the sky are unique and important, no matter how bright they shine.' The little star realized his importance and never bothered about the comments others used to make. He lived happily ever after with his mother. Many years later, when he grew to his full size, he became the brightest star in the sky."

Ryujin ended her story with a sly smile. It was really an adorable bed time short story for kids and Yeji definitely loved it. "Know why I told you that story huh, Yeddeong?"

The party progressed, people started playing table tennis, going in the hot tub and pool. Watching horror movies inside. They were, after all, taking advantage of a place they would not see for another year when it would be decorated once again in dark colors. It might be once in a lifetime event.

Yeji immediately shook off her head.

"Somehow, I can relate to that little star. That's why I've always loved the stars. It reminds me of my childhood." The pink haired girl muttered, avowing her pair of orbs to Yeji again. "Your eyes...they shine bright like the lovely stars at night..." Ryujin mumbled through her ears, Yeji then felt the sudden goosebumps on her skin. They were unexplainable, and yet explained all of it.

She looked at her very relatively close, it made her heart blossom into tiny rosebuds whose roots seeped into every crevice of her being. And, Ryujin knew she was gone, and then actually realised she preferred Yeji's eyes over the dazzling stars from above.

Yeji swallowed the lump in her throat.

She didn't know she needed a tipsy Ryujin in her entire life. Now, that she had it, she was not only aware if these spoken words were real. If they were really meant to be revealed. Or only because Ryujun was not in her best state? Rather clarifying things with not a hundred percent sober person, Yeji opted to stay quiet and observed things around them.

"Yeji."

"Ryujin."

They said in unison.

"You go first." Yeji in a much sober state let Ryujin talked before her. In this case, a person who had too much alcoholic drink accretion could get worse every time they urged to have another glass. Yeji liked to stop Ryujin from doing so, but a person who didn't want to be touched was a tough thing to handle. "What's story do you have now?"

"You know Lucy? Did I tell you about her?" Ryujin whispered it to her as if it was her deepest secret she had been keeping for a very long time. She looked silly. Though the cat eyed girl wanted to play along. "Did I?"

"Is that the unknown girl that writes you a letter?" Yeji foolishly questioned, acting up like a clueless kid. She earned a quick nod.

"Well," Ryujin slurred, and it was followed by a burp. "I received a letter from her today."

"And—"

"Ryujin! I've been searching for you. There you are, I'll show you something you'll like."

The pink haired girl was pulled off by the owner of the house and party. Lia dragged Ryujin's butt away from, and they almost fell when the forward striker wasn't able to support her limbs. "Lia, she had a lot of alcohol intake, I think she needs a rest and sleep." But, Ryujin became more stubborn due to the alcohol, of course. Which else?

"Ten glasses aren't a lot, it's only the start."

"Aw, you're so adorable, Ryujin." A soft voice cooed her, Lia didn't listen to the both of them and proceeded to the house.

Yeji pursed her lips into fine line, the story about Lucy was disrupted and she would be honest, Yeji was disappointed. It could be something she would like...or not. Either way, being intervened was something Yeji was upset about. Of all occurrences, timing and moments, it had to be that specific time?

And, Yeji couldn't stop thinking about it.

"Jisu has always been..." A low baritone usual voice spoke behind Yeji, she heard a sigh in disappointment. "nevermind. It's not worth it."

"Heather?" Yeji stood up, and looked back to see a towering guy in a John Wick outfit.

"Saunders? Yup, that's me, Hwang Yeji." A beautiful smile formed on the English guy, he stood there with his hand inserted to his smooth raven slacks' pocket. He was pretty.

He lurched towards the cat eyed girl in her Katniss Everdeen fit, then he admired her, every little detail about Yeji, for she was the most beautiful girl in the party as Heather thought. Of course, the stare made Yeji kind of uncomfortable, she wasn't used to being stared at intensely. Especially, he was a guy.

"If there's only a prize for the best Halloween fit, that will be definitely you." Heather spoke the moment he got to be on Yeji's side, resting his hand upon the back of the chair Yeji was sitting on. "How's the party for you?"

"Glad, they don't have. I won't accept it." Yeji chuckled. "Surprisingly, good. Now, I understand why students anticipate for it."

"You will change your mind when you get to experience parties in the west."

"Is it that awful?" Yeji curiously asked.

Heather sneered in amusement. "Horrible rather, that's the right term for it. These, the things you see here are still manageable."

"They don't have this classic truth or dare around. I'm not wishing they have though." Yeji patted the vacant chair beside her, the one Ryujin occupied when she was still in the company of Yeji. Sadly, she wasn't now.

The Englishman willingly took it, and joined Yeji to watch the on going craziness of teens all over the place. "Hell, I never even tried the game but I got entangled with it. Damn."

Even if Yeji lost an entertaining person to talk with, Heather abruptly took over the missing person and Yeji was really delighted to be immersed with someone like Heather. At least, she was certain nobody would be slivering a good conversation to be with.

"I lost my first kiss in ninth grade. A girl was dared to kiss the very first boy that will come out of the washroom and then there was the innocent me, had the tragic dare."

"It already happened." Yeji teased, grinning.

"But it could've been someone else." He croaked, staring at her lips intensively and the cat eyed girl immediately noticed it. She with drew her gaze and moved back a little bit, setting the distance between them.

Just as the sky turned dark and the moon was at its full shine, the party was in for a terrifying surprise, the loud music stopped, and the lights faded out in a blink of an eye. The huge crowd was terrified, distinct murmurs showered the silent air, what was happening? They started to move, this time a more significant, slowly walking and feeling the absence of nothing towards their dimmed surrounding. They shifted place in simple movements, with only the clearest intentions of where they were headed, towards each other's presence. With everyone already terrified the figures started to make noises and the crowd of people shrieked in terror. With everyone moving together as a body, they had eventually cornered themselves.

Then, the lights turned on, illuminating the slightly postponed party. The currents were back, it was back to normal. Except for one thing. In the midst of chaos, there, a bloody lifeless corpse was sprawled on the pool, floating helplessly and everybody was frightened of the sight.

"Happy Halloween! Let's get back partying!"

A girl dressed as a seductive demon with a devil horn in full bloody red suit screamed out her lungs. A cue for them to understand that it was only a fake dead man which had earned amused and much terrified reactions from the students. They hovered themselves into the water and played the mannequin.

For a minute, Yeji held her breath. She did actually fall into the trap of this wild party.

"Well, that's new." Heather muttered, wasn't really impressed since he was a fan of horror films. It was nothing to him anymore. "I am certain it wasn't Lia's idea.  She couldn't even watch horror films alone back then until now."

"Where are you going?"

"I haven't seen Yuna, it's been like two hours." Yeji got up already from her seat. Yes, she was allowed to have fun and enjoy but at the same time she also had to take care of herself and Yuna, it was a reminder she set up on her mind since they stepped in to this thing.

"I saw her earlier in the dining area. I think she was with a lot of people, they're eating." Heather also stood up and stayed behind Yeji, they entered the grand house and searched for the young blond within. "So, you drank."

"Uh, It's barely nothing. Ryujin made it."

"If you don't mind, I'll let you try my version of Bellini cocktail." Furrowing her brows, Yeji just nodded her head and went to where the chatters were going on. Her eyes found Yuna, her blondé hair stood out as well as her bright pink Power Ranger fit. It wasn't that easy to rock something like the colour pink and Yuna gave the righteous justice to it. Their gazes met and Yuna leaped out of the cushion.

"Did you drink?"

"Nope, I just ate. I love their daredevil eggs and the pumpkin soup."

"Your curfew. Remember what I told you?"

"Yup. Never drink anything from someone." Yuna mused her lips forward, intending to point out somebody known approaching them, or more specifically Yeji. "I think he's going to our direction." Heather came back with his promised cocktail for Yeji shortly.

"Hope you will like it."

"How was it?" Yeji barely tasted the entire beverage but the latter was quick to ask for a verdict, she then unintentionally choked on her glass and Heather was also rapid to soothe her back. "Damn, I put too much—"

"It's sweet. I like it."

The Englishman let out a sigh of relief. He was glad it turned out well. "Which one is better then, your drink earlier or this one?"

Both were great in their own way. Ryujin's felt like one in the tropical summer breeze where tall palm trees were swaying along the wind of the cool sea, down to the warm white sand, back to the refreshing coconut juice and organic seafood dishes. Heather's was different as well, it was romantic and how the sunset kissed the horizon in dawn, to the way the moon peeked on across the limitless lilac sky, ending with a beautiful goodbye.

Damn, Yeji.

It was only a drink.

"This one's super good! I love this!" Before Yeji answered, Yuna took a chance to drink the cocktail. "I'm picking this one!"

"Only because you didn't taste the first one."

Yuna shrugged, giddily drowned herself to the food again. "I won't let this evening pass without telling how perfect you are."

It sounded very quite familiar at the back of her head, it just happened much recently.

"I mean everybody has their own idea of perfection. Mine just happens to be you."

Was he flirting? Or complimenting?

She liked it the way Ryujin told how perfect she was tonight but it was it exactly the same feeling? Maybe, yes. Perhaps, no. Yeji didn't know. She was confused. Nonetheless, those words were accepted genuinely by Yeji.

"Yeji-ah!"

Yuna brought her back to reality.

"They say there's a chocolate fountain in the backyard! Let's go and have some of them!"

It had been several minutes since Lia and Ryujin went gone, and somehow, the cat eyed girl couldn't help thinking about it. She was worried about Ryujin, thinking how unstable she was, if she could still do walk and talk, if she was taken care of Lia right now because if not, Yeji was more than willing to do it.

"I change my mind. They don't have pretzel. How come they have chocolate without any pretzels? This is so depressing." Yuna sighed dramatically, and got back to where she left her club mates. Along Yeji's way, she was greeted by her schoolmates warmly and they even shared some chitchats with her nicely.

Yeji was nice. However, some people were intimidated by her absolute kindness and so much purity. It was contrast. People were afraid they could commit minor details in talking with her, for how Yeji was the great epitome of everything best. Some students were bothered how benevolent she was, it created a preconceived judgement on their minds that actually led why they only had a small talk with her tonight. Seeing Yeji in this messy, rowdy, and noisy party felt like a dream they never thought would happen.

Yeji was roaming by herself, the obnoxious music was hurting her ears. She decided to come inside the enormous house, and then bustled through the tranquility of kitchen. A couple boys and girls were abandoning the sullied kitchen. Yeji was thankful there was finally a peaceful area she found since earlier. She grabbed the clean red cup over the counter to freshen up her mouth. She'd been drinking foreign drinks, she needed a full glass of water to wash up her throat.

She was astounded to find peace inside the kitchen. But she was even more surprised to see what was actually inside the further blinded sheets of curtains near the window. The red cup fell on the floor, now the clean kitchen was stained with dirt she made.

A tear escaped in her left eye.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 3.1K 28
Are they just friends or something.
236K 5.7K 33
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
2M 106K 62
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
921K 38.8K 80
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC