Inevitable

By violenttulips

After the war, Harry Potter becomes a talented Senior Auror with a penchant for injury in defense of his coll... More

Prologue
1 | Mourning & Moving Forward
2 | St. Mungos Meeting
3 | Coffee & Confusion
4 | We've Got to Stop Meeting Like This
5 | She's Smart Enough to Figure it Out--Are You?
6 | Who'll Be Your Hero When Your Hero is Broken?
7 | You're in Love With Him
8 | Everybody Hurts
9 | Healing & Hope
10 | Inevitable
11 | Back to Reality
12 | Into the Dark
14 | Three Little Words
15 | Two Letters & A Package
16 | It All Falls Apart
17 | Apart
18 | Azkaban
19 | Fiendfyre
20 | He's a Fighter
21 | For you. For me. For us.
22 | Perfect
Epilogue
Author's Note

13 | Mine.

10.1K 432 238
By violenttulips

Light was streaming through the window when Harry woke the next morning. He rubbed his face and stretched his arms above his head.

"Hey."

Harry rolled over to face Draco, who was watching him nervously.

"Are you okay?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah. I shouldn't have come here last night, I wasn't in my right mind. I'm sorry. I must have scared you."

Draco carded his fingers through Harry's dark hair.

"I want you to come here when you need me, sweet. Even if you can't talk about it, even if you just need someone to clean you up and put you to bed. I want to do that for you. Please let me."

Harry pulled Draco flush against him, burying his face in his neck. "I don't think I deserve you," he murmured.

Draco blushed. "Now I know you're not in your right mind. Have you met you? You deserve better than me."

Harry shifted slightly, pushing Draco onto his back and laving kisses over his throat. "Mm. Not possible. Doesn't exist."

"You're—oh!—crazy. Oh Merlin, don't stop," Draco gasped. Harry had slipped a knee between his legs, and the friction was absolutely glorious.

Harry chuckled softly, moving to straddle him and dipping his head to meet Draco's in a searing kiss.

•••••

"Thank you," Harry whispered later when they lay tangled on Draco's bed, both blissfully sated and sleepy.

Draco tipped his head up to look at him curiously.

"For last night," Harry clarified, running a hand through Draco's hair. "For taking care of me, for knowing exactly what I needed."

"Do you want to talk about it? What happened?"

Harry shook his head. "Not really. I just— I can't save everyone. It's not something I'll ever get used to. It hurts every time."

Draco nodded. "I feel the same way. I'm not able to save everyone at my job, either."

Harry met his gaze, guilt flooding through him. "Of course you would understand, I should've realized—"

Draco cut him off with a kiss. "It's okay. Let's go back to sleep now, yeah? It's Saturday— We can get up later, whenever we want. We don't have any plans until tomorrow night."

Harry smiled and pulled him close again. "M'kay."

Draco fell asleep first. Or, at least, Harry thought he had, as his breathing slowed and his body relaxed against him.

But when Harry whispered into his hair, "I know it's too early to say this, but I think I'm falling in love with you."

Draco heard him.

•••••

The next evening, Draco found himself standing on the front step of a well-kept little country house with a blue front door. "I'm not so sure this is a good idea, Harry," Draco murmured.

Harry put a hand on the small of Draco's back and gave him an encouraging smile. "Don't worry. They're excited to meet you."

"I can't understand why. I was unbelievably rude to her last time we saw each other."

"Draco, you had just lost your mother. You weren't yourself. Andy understands that."

"I was myself, I was just a complete arse back then."

Harry laughed and leaned over to kiss him. "You were grieving. It's forgivable, trust me."

Draco sighed and nodded. Harry knocked on the door.

Andromeda opened it and invited them in with a friendly smile. "Harry, Draco. It's so nice to see you both! Thank you for joining us for dinner."

Harry smiled back. "Thank you for the invitation. It's really good to see you, Andy. How are you and Teddy doing?"

"We're doing well. Teddy's been looking forward to your visit all day. He's—"

"UNCLE HARRY!"

A turquoise-headed boy came running down the hallway. Harry crouched down and caught him in an enormous hug.

"Teddy! You're getting so big!"

"You just saw me last week."

"Well, I still think we need to measure you. I'm sure you've grown since then."

"You're silly, Uncle Harry."

Harry contorted his face into an exaggerated scowl. "What are you talking about? I've never been silly. Not once in my entire life."

Teddy giggled, then glanced curiously over Harry's shoulder at Draco.

Harry turned and smiled at him, taking Draco's hand and pulling him into a crouch beside him. "Teddy, I brought someone for you to meet. This is your cousin, Draco. He's also my boyfriend."

Teddy held out a hand and Draco shook it solemnly. "It's very nice to meet you, Teddy."

Teddy gave him a shy smile before looking back at Harry.

"So you, like, hold hands and kiss and stuff? Like Auntie Ginny and Dean?"

Harry chuckled. "Yeah."

"Ew. They kiss all. the. time."

Harry glanced over at Draco, who was fighting an amused smile. "We won't kiss around you, at least not very often, promise."

"Grown-ups are gross," the eight-year-old declared.

Andromeda laughed. "Well, on that happy note, let's go eat."

After they ate, Harry took Teddy outside to play with his practice broom out in the garden, leaving Draco to help his aunt clean up, a slightly awkward silence between them.

"You wash, I'll dry and put away?" Andromeda directed.

"Sure."

They washed the dishes in silence for a few minutes, each giving their wand a quick wave every few seconds, before Draco worked up the courage to speak.

"Aunt Andromeda, I—" He began awkwardly.

She cut him off with a gentle hand on his arm. "You don't need to apologize, Draco. I understand why you reacted the way you did. I sprung my presence on you when you were grieving. I'd hoped to help you feel less alone, but instead I did the opposite. I'm sorry."

The last dish flew into its designated cupboard.

Draco turned and gave her a small, grateful smile. "I didn't have to be so cold to you. You were grieving, too."

She shrugged. "Nothing hurts quite like losing your mother, Draco. Especially when you're as close as you were with yours."

"Do you think... I mean, would you tell me about her? As a child?"

Andromeda smiled. "I can do even better than that. I have photo albums that I can show you. Would you like some tea?"

"Yes, please."

When Harry and Teddy came traipsing into the house after dark, they found Andromeda and Draco laughing on the sofa, poring over photos as she told him about the shenanigans his mother had gotten them into when they were children.

Harry smiled at them and ushered Teddy over to the stairs, not wanting to interrupt.

"Time for a bath, kiddo. Then pyjamas, and don't forget to brush your teeth."

"Will you spell the bath water before I get in so it won't get cold? And tuck me in and tell me a story before bed?"

"Absolutely."

It took an hour, but Harry finally got Teddy to bed and made his way back downstairs.

The photo albums were closed on the coffee table, but Draco and his aunt were still sitting on the sofa talking quietly. Andromeda stood when Harry walked into the room.

"Sit here, darling. I'll move to the arm chair." She quickly moved places before he could protest.

"Thanks." Harry dropped onto the sofa beside Draco and leaned his head against his shoulder. "That kid is exhausting. I need to take him off your hands more often."

Andromeda smiled at him. "Once a week is more than enough, dear. I only have a few more years with Teddy before we send him off to Hogwarts. And he's a good boy, really. He just has endless energy, like his mother at this age."

Harry smiled back wistfully. "He's growing up so fast."

"Yes, he is. So. Draco was just telling me about how this—" She waved a hand at the two of them, "—all came about. Where were we?"

"Harry got injured again, if you can believe it," Draco drawled, a teasing glint in his eyes. "Stupid Gryffindor."

"Hey!"

•••••

They Apparated back to Draco's flat that night after visiting with Andromeda for another hour or so.

Draco pulled Harry into a tight hug, running his hands over his back.

"What's this for?" Harry asked, squeezing him gently.

"I'm really glad you convinced me to come tonight. Thank you."

"You're welcome. It seemed like it went well with Andromeda."

"It did. I really enjoyed talking with her. Ever since my mum died I've felt like my whole family was just... Gone. But tonight I got a piece of it back. I'd like to see them again soon. Maybe spend more time with Teddy next time, too. Can we?"

"I'd love that," Harry murmured, kissing his cheek. He yawned and rubbed at his eyes. "I'd better head home."

"You could stay, if you like," Draco offered with a suggestive smile.

"Tempting, but I have an early start in the field tomorrow and you are entirely too distracting."

Harry pressed a chaste kiss against Draco's pout.

"Fine," the blond acquiesced. "When can I see you tomorrow?"

"Erm... D'you want to come to the Burrow for dinner with me?"

Draco's eyes widened. "I'm not sure I'm ready to meet the entire Weasley clan just yet."

Harry grinned. "I had a feeling you'd say that. Lunch on our breaks, then?"

"Okay."

•••••

Draco went to work the next morning feeling elated. Even more so than he had in the previous two months of dating Harry.

The words he'd whispered to him on Saturday when Harry had thought he was asleep rolled around in his head over and over.

I think I'm falling in love with you.

It was surreal, really.

Harry Potter falling in love with Draco Malfoy.

When he'd come back to Britain, he'd resigned himself to burying himself in his work. To finding fulfillment in his career, and nothing else. But now? Harry Potter was falling in love. With him.

Draco shook his head, a soppy grin on his face.

Before he knew it, he's gathered the necessary potions from his office and arrived at the Ward where his first appointment of the day was. He knocked and walked inside.

Augusta Longbottom looked up at him, her severe gaze softening. Neville was staring at him as if he'd grown a second head.

"Good morning!" Draco greeted, "and how are my favorite patients today?"

Frank and Alice Longbottom sat side-by-side, their hands intertwined. They didn't respond, but they did both make eye contact with him, and Alice even gave him a slight, dreamy smile. Draco felt a thrill of excitement.

Progress.

"Er... Draco? Are you okay?"

"Of course, why?"

Neville Longbottom shook his head. "I've just never seen you... Like this."

"Like what?"

"Um... Happy?"

Draco chuckled. "Well, I am happy, I suppose."

Neville grinned at him. "Because of Harry?"

Draco shot him an exasperated look. "Yes, because of Harry. Now, then. Let's talk about our treatment plan, I've made some slight adjustments to your parent's daily potions, nothing major, but..."

By the end of the appointment, he was extremely pleased with his work. The Longbottoms did seem to be regaining some of their mental faculties. They recognized each other, and sometimes Neville. They made eye contact when spoken to. That was new. Progress would always be slow with experimental treatments like this, but the results so far were encouraging.

•••••

He'd spent the entire morning with the Longbottoms, chatting with Neville and Augusta and observing Frank and Alice to note any progress in behavior and responses to the conversation.

It had been a pleasant morning, but he was still looking forward to lunch with Harry when his break finally came.

He Flooed over to the ministry and made his way toward the Aurors office, suddenly feeling nervous. He'd never been to Harry's workplace before.

He entered the Auror Department and was greeted by a forced-friendly smile from a pretty blonde witch. Her name plaque read: Margaret Pond, Auror Reception.

"How can I help you?" She asked.

Draco smiled back politely. "Hello, I'm here to see Harry Potter. Is he in?"

"My my. You're just as handsome as you look in the papers. You should see the way his face lights up when he talks about you, it's really sweet." Her voice was saccharine, and her smile didn't quite reach her hazel eyes.

Draco felt his face color. "I... Oh. Thank you. Er... Is he here?"

"Let me check with Head Auror Robards." She wrote a quick note and it folded itself into a paper airplane and flew under a nearby doorway.

A few moments later Gawain Robards himself stepped through a door on the right side behind the reception desk.

"Healer Malfoy. How are you?" He reached out a weathered hand and Draco took it, giving him a firm handshake.

"I'm well, sir. Is Harry in?"

"He's been in the field this morning, but they're wrapping up the raid. First success we've had in a while, I've sure missed that boy. Anyway, Harry'll be here shortly, I just got his Patronus with an update. Should only be about five minutes. You're welcome to wait for him."

Robards indicated toward a small waiting area off to the left of the reception desk.

Draco smiled. "Thank you."

"Good to see you, son."

Robards disappeared back through the door, and Draco sat awkwardly in a chair in the waiting area under the scrutiny of the pretty receptionist once more.

"So." She rested her chin on her hand, "how are things?"

"Er... Good?"

"Oh, I'm sure they are. I had a little thing with Harry once, you know. After the department Christmas party a few years ago, we'd had a bit too much to drink. He was famous for pulling back then. Flat out refused when I mentioned any sort of relationship. Didn't even stay the night. I'm curious how you managed to tie him down."

Draco felt his stomach drop, his elation from earlier rapidly evaporating. This petty little witch was trying to get under his skin, to get a reaction from him, but he wouldn't give her the satisfaction. He smiled back equally sweetly.

"I'm not sure how to answer that, sweetheart," he examined the pristine nails of one hand. "I was out of the country then. But this thing Harry and I have started years ago, back when we were at Hogwarts. Maybe that's why."

Draco left out the tiny detail that their obsession with one another at Hogwarts had been fueled partly by hatred and was not at all healthy.

"I see," she answered coldly, turning away.

Draco was grateful when the sound of raucous laughter broke the awkward silence.

A dozen Aurors traipsed through the door and Draco's eyes sought Harry in the group, quickly locating his distinctive mop of black hair. Draco recognized a few of the others from treating them at St. Mungo's, while others were still unfamiliar.

"You should have seen their faces when they saw Potter," one of them chortled. "Eyes as big as saucers, and they just took off running— It was hilarious."

Another grabbed Harry in a headlock and mussed his hair, eliciting an indignant sound from Harry. "Good to have you back, Potter."

Harry threw the man off easily, jabbing him in the ribs with an elbow, "Cut that out, Harmon."

"Can't make your hair look any worse than it already does, Potter," the other Auror snorted.

"Harry," Margaret's syrupy feminine voice cut through the chatter. "You have a guest." A long, painted nail pointed at Draco, and the entire group turned.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't the boyfriend." One of them drawled.

"Finally, I've been dying to see him in person," an Auror who looked vaguely familiar said, "he's aged well since Hogwarts, hasn't he."

"Draco!" Harry's face lit up and he strode over to him. He had a long scratch down the right side of his face, but otherwise appeared unharmed.

"I'm so sorry I'm late. I need to drop a couple things off in my office and then we can go. Come back with me?"

Draco flushed under the stares and outright sniggering of Harry's colleagues as they followed them through the door behind reception and down a long hallway.

"This is my office. I share with Jaz, but he's out sick today." Harry opened the door and let Draco inside.

"Don't forget a Silencing Charm, Harry," the familiar-looking woman teased, eliciting more raucous laughter from the rest of them.

"Shut it, Patil," Harry snapped back, shutting the door in her face.

Harry pulled a couple of tiny folders out of his pocket and they grew to normal size in his hands. He set them on his desk, then quickly shed his Auror robes, revealing his typical casual Muggle clothes underneath. He set the deep red garment on the chair behind his desk and shrugged on his favorite leather jacket. Finished, he turned around to smile at Draco.

"Ready?"

"Parvati Patil," Draco stated, suddenly remembering, "I remember her now. I wanted to tear her hair out at the Yule Ball."

Harry laughed and leaned back against his desk. "No need for hair pulling. I never liked her in a romantic way, and I was pretty awful to her that night."

"Can I pull out the receptionist's hair, then? That bint was asking for it, throwing your dalliance in my face before you arrived."

Harry looked guilty. "Bloody hell. It was a drunken one night stand—three years ago! I'm so sorry, Draco. It was a mistake."

"According to her, you're not one for a relationship. She wanted to know how I managed to tie you down." Draco felt a hot, twisting coil of jealousy form in his stomach as he spoke. "I have to admit, I'm a bit curious myself."

Harry sighed, gently cupping Draco's face in his palms. "Draco, I'm sorry about my... Er, history. I'm not proud of it. You're right, I haven't been in a real relationship in a long time. Not since Ginny, honestly.

"But it's not because I didn't want a relationship. It's because I couldn't find anyone that I could be myself with, that I could trust not to use me for their own hidden agenda. I'd given up on it entirely until that day we got breakfast together. Even under the influence of a love potion, I felt something that day. Something different."

"Me too," Draco whispered.

Harry kissed him fervently, and Draco melted into it, wrapping his arms around him. He pulled away abruptly. "You should know that I am using you, though."

Harry shot him a confused look.

"For sex."

Harry laughed, the rich sound echoing around the small room.

"I'm serious, Potter. Your body is exquisite. I'm tempted to lock you in my basement and never let you do anything else."

"You don't have a basement," Harry snickered, pulling Draco flush against him again.

"You're right... Better get one. I'll work on that," Draco murmured, angling his head to kiss Harry again.

They kissed for a few more minutes before reluctantly separating and leaving to go get a quick lunch before Draco had to get back to the hospital.

Draco felt a shameful amount of petty pleasure when Harry draped an arm over his shoulders as they passed the reception desk. He could feel the witch's eyes burning into his back as they walked through the door.

The coil of jealousy in his stomach had cooled slightly, but he still clutched Harry's waist possessively as they passed and a single thought filled his mind:

Mine.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

136K 2.7K 13
The dark had won the war thanks to Draco who killed Dumbledore and who brought Harry to the Dark Lord. He was put as the right-hand man of Voldemort...
37.3K 1.7K 28
When Mcgonnagal asked Harry Potter and his year to come back to Hogwarts to complete their education and take their N.E.W.Ts, to say Harry was exci...
95.9K 5.5K 66
Healer Potter gets a new patient in his specialized ward at St. Mungo's. He can heal injuries that no one else can and it's clear from the start that...
3.7K 164 21
"Wishing on dandelions all of the time" After the war, Harry is alone and headed back to finish his last year of school at Hogwarts while feeling not...