Just A Shadow (RWBY male read...

By MichaelStotts2

well fuck here we are, first attempt at writing in fuck knows how long. ehm this story is gonna be a bit...di... More

Chapter 1: The Dark
Chapter 2: Unexpected
Chapter 3: Here to Stay
Chapter 4: A Dance in the Dustshop
Chapter 5: The Wizard of Oz
Chapter 6: Meeting The Family
Chapter 7: Beacon Academy
Chapter 8: Beacon Academy pt 2
chapter 9: Initiation
Chapter 10: The Emerald Forest
Chapter 11: A Challenger Approaches
Chapter 12: Ugly Scars
Chapter 13: Can Still Heal
Chapter 14: Musical Morning
wtf?
News on Chapter 16
Halftime
Chapter 16: Get Up
sorry
Chapter 17: Grace in the Grey
Chapter 18: Its Okay to be Afraid
hello again!
The Break: Goodbye, To A World
V2 Ch1: Round Two
V2 Ch2: Introductions
back on track!
V2: Ch3: In The Rear With The Gear
Important! Please vote!
V2 Ch4: Talk the Talk, Walk the Walk
Y/n's shadows/Umbrakinesis
V2 Ch5: The Rain
teeny tiny vote
little piece o news
V2 Ch6: Burden of the Blade
(small) V2 Ch7: Pre-Party
(small) V2 Ch8: Tapping the Brakes
V2 Ch8: "Dance Dance...Somethin"
V2 Ch9: Mission Morning
very important schedule update.
V2 Ch10: "Reconnaissance"
V2 Finale: "Enemy At The Gates"
The Interim
quick question!
V3 Ch1: Fever Dream
V3 Ch2: Ashes and Blood
Lets Do This
V3 Ch3: Omens
V3 Finale: Vanished
heheh
Guess whos fucking back
is anyone still there..?
VOLUME 4 CH 1: Deathless
V4 Ch2: A Colder Place
V4 Ch3: Buried In The Ashes

Chapter 15: We Are Atlas Now

6.2K 109 351
By MichaelStotts2

(Y'know this part of vol 1 always gave me a hard time with Weiss' character. Even though she takes steps to improve, she continues to be a snob and all around jerk. At least in later volumes she becomes much more tolerable. Anyhow, to class!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Person Pov

So far it was an ordinary start to the school year. An older looking professor watched from in front of the lecture hall board as students began to make their way into his classroom. He straightened out the collar of his suit and smoothed his large mustache as he patiently waited for class to start. This was Professor Peter Port.

He watched with content as teams of students came into the classroom and took their seats in rows. He furrowed his bushy brows slightly as he looked at two of the front most rows which remained empty. Perhaps if the students weren't too late he would let them off the hook, it was the first day after all.

The bell rang out through the lecture hall, signaling the start of class and silencing the chatting students. Port straightened himself out and prepared to introduce himself to the class of eager first years.

Port: "Greeting students! As you should all know, I am Professor Peter Port, at your service!" He said as he did a mock bow, earning some chuckles and laughter from the students.

He always found pleasure in making his students enjoy the time they spent in his classroom, and so did his best to entertain them.

"Welcome to Grimm studies! Here-"

Unfortunately for the professor, he was interrupted as the door to the lecture hall flung wide open, with nine students falling into a heap just in front of the door, save for one in particular who sailed right over his compatriots and tumbled down the stairs of the classroom, and landed face first on the floor in front of the teacher.

Port: "Ah! Teams RWBY and JNPR, how kind of you to join us! Mr. L/n is it?" The Professor announced the new arrivals, directing his question to the shadowy boy who had tumbled to the floor in front of him.

Y/n picked himself up off the ground, a dazed look on his face before he shook his head clear, messing up his hair even more. His sharp silver eyes met the narrow eyes and bushy brows of his professor. The boy took not of the professors impossibly large mustache and then responded.

Y/n: "Uh...yes sir! Sorry, we were just uh...dropping in? he...he..." The nervous boy said, noticing all attention was on him and attempting to make a joke of the situation. His teammates groaned at the terribly joke from the stairs, except for Yang who snickered.

The professor raised one of his bushy brows at the boy, making him even more nervous, before Port began to let put a loud deep laugh. After a few moments he regained his composure.

Port: "Oh goodness...I think you and I will get along just fine. Why dont you and your friends take a seat and I will continue where we left off. It's only the first day so I suppose I can let this slide."

The boy breathed a sigh of relief as he turned and joined his team already in one of the empty rows, taking an empty seat next to Ruby. Once both the teams were settled in he spoke.

Port: "Now, where was i... Ah yes! Monsters! Deeeemons... Prowlers of the night! Yes, the creatures of Grimm have many names, but I merely refer to them as prey! Ha-ha!"

Blake and Yang had been sitting up paying attention, Weiss was taking notes and Y/n was fumbling with the blazer of the Beacon uniform that Ozpin had forced him to shift into. Ruby on the other hand had her head resting in her hands taking a nap until she was woken up by the professors bad joke.

Sensing the bad reception his joke was getting, the professor coughed slightly and continued on.

Y/n finally gave in as he couldnt stand the uniform. He loosened the tie and unbuttoned the blazer.

Y/n: "Stupid monkey suit..." he muttered under his breath, still being heard by Ruby who giggled at his disdain of the uniform. She whispered at him, deciding to not be the only one on the team teased today.

Ruby: "At least you look handsome in it." This noticeably registered on the teens face as he wasnt expecting that from her at all. He didnt wait long before he fired back though.

Y/n: "Thanks rosebud. Your lookin' pretty cute yourself..."

Ruby hadn't prepared at all for his comeback as she turned red and flustered. Y/n couldnt help but chuckle at her reaction. She pouted at him and punched his arm. Port having noticed the distracted students, cleared his throat loudly to regain their attention. Once he had what he was after, he continued his talk, but was soon tuned out by the duo as he began to tell a boring story about himself.

Y/n Pov

I immediately tuned the professor back out as he began to tell a story about cabbages or something like that. I was never a very good student, but it's nice having friends this time around. My thoughts naturally drifted back to this morning and I realised that when I made that painting...I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Since when could I draw? Not to mention spray paint THAT well without a stencil. Whenever I tried something like that before, I never could. Always felt like something was stopping me. Come to think of it I couldnt work out any type of instrument before either...but hey...I wont complain.

My attention turned itself back to Ruby as I noticed she was...balancing an apple on top of a book on a pencil on one finger...making one of the goofiest faces I've ever seen...

'now that is cute...wait wha-'

And even better, it was annoying Weiss. I know shes my teammate now, and I will do my best to work with her, but I have to admit I dont like her a whole bunch. Her attitude can really irk me at times. Maybe a teacher will tell her what for...did I just cut off my own train of thought?

My thoughts drifted again as I lightly tapped my foot to the lyrics in my head.

'The Star Of David don't belong to the David at all
He borrowed it from Peter just so he could pay off Paul
Peter copyrighted the star and now he owns a claim
But a star is still a star by any other name'

'Well now everybody's worried about a good look
But they need to be worried about a good hook
Instead of skipping straight to the last page
In that ol' rationalization book'

Ah sturgill simpson...noice. I got pulled out of my thought as the bell rang loudly. Snapping my eyes open as they had subconsciously closed, I was just in time to see Weiss in her battle uniform stomping out of the lecture hall, a dissipating grimm corpse in the center of the room, and a downtrodden looking Ruby.

'Crap she totally snapped didnt she...'

I leaned over to Yang for a second to quickly get the story.

Y/n: "Psst hey...I spaced out for a bit, what happened?"

Yang: "Weiss got upset with Ruby over something while she was fighting a boarbatusk. She snapped at her and stormed off as soon as the bell rang."

'Ah shit...I should've payed more attention...goddamnit Y/n!' I turned back to Ruby to see she was still down in the dumps.

Y/n: "Hey...let's go try and find her. Maybe we can talk this out."

She didnt respond, but she looked up and nodded with a determined look. We got up and went out of the classroom in search of Weiss.

*Timeskip to the actual scene because that is a lot of filler that I have no idea what to do with*

The day was starting to near an end as Ruby and I were still looking for Weiss. Eventually we caught a glimpse of her and began to run over to her. She turned a corner and just before we followed, Ruby stopped and turned to me.

Ruby: "Hey...can you do me a favour? I need you to hide. Let me handle this. Shes already mad and I dont think she'll listen if she has to deal with the both of us."

I was hesitant because I wanted to help her.

Y/n: "Are you sure?"

She nodded with certainty and determination, so I did as she asked and went intangible. Shortly after I did we rounded the corner and Ruby called out to Weiss.

Ruby: "Weiss!"

The heiress turned around to look at Ruby, annoyed.

Weiss: "What?"

Ruby: "What's wrong with you? Why are you being-?"

Weiss: "What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you? You're supposed to be a leader, and all you've been so far is a nuisance! The both of you! Is Y/n hiding somewhere? I know hes never far from you."

That irked me, but I stayed out of it like Ruby asked. She scoffed at Weiss' remark

Ruby: "What did we do? And I thought this was between us, I asked him to let us work it out."

Weiss: "That's just it - you've done nothing to earn your position! Back in the forest, you acted like a child, and you've only continued to do so! And the same goes for Y/n!"

Really?! That's what this is about?!

Ruby: "Weiss, where is this coming from? What happened to all the talk about 'working together'? I thought you believed in acting as a team."

Weiss: "Not a team led by you. I've studied and trained. And quite frankly, I deserve better." She turns her back on Ruby. She was reaching out to try and reason with her teammate, but Weiss' next words were spoken.

"Ozpin made a mistake." And just like that she walked off. Ruby looked really hurt by what Weiss had said, and my anger went away for now. I needed to be there for Ruby.

I made myself tangible again and Ruby turned to facs me. She looked on the edge of tears, and it broke my heart. She walked back towards me and I brought her into a hug. God I hate seeing her like this. It tears my heart into pieces.

All was quiet for a moment before a familiar voice spoke up from behind us.

Ozpin: "Well that didnt seem to go very well..." We both looked over to see the headmaster himself looking in the direction Weiss stormed off, a mug in one hand and his cane in the other.

Ruby stayed in the embrace, but asked him anyway.

Ruby: "Was she right? Did you make a mistake?" I was about to say of course not, but Ozpin lightly laughed to himself, confusing us both as he responded.

Ozpin: "That remains to be seen." Ruby and I looked on in confusion, I decided to let him take the lead on this one.

Ruby: "What do you mean?"

Ozpin: "I mean, it's only been one day. Ruby... I've made more mistakes than any man, woman, and child on this planet. But at this moment, I would not consider your appointment to leader to be one of them." He leans in slightly to look more directly at us. "Do you?"

Ruby looks thoughtful at those words and he continues.

Ozpin: "Being a team leader isn't just a title you carry into battle, but a badge you wear constantly. If you're not always performing at your absolute best, then what reason do you give others to follow you?"

She seems to find something that reassures her in his words, as Ruby perks up slightly.

Ozpin: "That being said, you are not alone. A team is not merely the leaders burden to bare. It is a responsibility, held up by each individual member."

"Like the titan, Atlas..." I muttered. Causing Ozpin to turn his attention to me.

Ozpin: "You are lucky to have someone like Mr. L/n by your side. He seems to care a great deal about you."

He didnt show it but I swear I could hear a smirk in his voice. I dont know if a blush is even possible on my face but if it is then there definitely was one when Ruby turned her head to look back up at me. We were still locked in an embrace.

Y/n: "W-well yeah...of course I do..." I cursed my stutter in my mind, but I held Ruby a bit tighter, and was a little surprised when she did the same.

I could FEEL the smug look that was definitely on Ozpins' face now as he turned away, saying one last thing.

Ozpin: "You've been charged with a daunting responsibility Ruby. I advise you you take some time to think on how you will uphold it. Do not fret though, you are surrounded by those who can help you."

He began to walk away as he threw in one last thing

"After all, what are teammates, partners, and ultimately, friends, for?"

And like that he disappeared around the corner. I was still looking at where he walked off when Ruby grabbed my attention.

Ruby: "Did you really mean that?" I turned my head back to her with a puzzled look. A rosy red dusting her cheeks.

"Do you really care that much?" I met her beautiful silver eyes as she waited for my response. I seriously wonder if I was blushing, what would that even look like?

I did respond to her though.

Y/n: "Of course I do rosebud. Always have, always will." She seemed to get a bit redder after I said that, but I meant it. I do care, a lot more than I was likely to admit.

She pushed herself deeper into the hug, resting her head on my chest. If I was blushing before then my face probably looked like california in the summer right now...that is to say it was on fucking fire. I just held her there though, the moment was worth the embarrassment. Several minutes of comfortable silence passed before Ren ended up walking by, stopping in his tracks.

Ren: "Oh, my apologies. Am I interrupting something?" His presence snapped us out of it as we finally let go of the hug, blushes red as Ruby's cloak.

Ruby: "N-no! I-its f-fine!" She spurted out. To my slight surprise Ren chuckled a bit.

Ren: "Right...well you should probably head back to your dorms then, it's getting late."

We quickly agreed with him, anything to get out of this embarrassing encounter. We both said our goodbyes and began walking back to the dorm room.

"Good thing Nora wasnt here. She'd have wanted pictures." I could barely hear Ren say as we walked away.

Geez was it that obvious? Of course it was who am I kidding. I just wonder what Ruby thinks.

This was honestly a beautiful evening, the sunset was gorgeous as we walked through the courtyard towards the dorm building. I figured it was safe and shifted my clothes into a simple T-shirt tucked in and jeans with a belt.

Y/n: "Much better."

Ruby: "You really dont like the suit huh?" I just shrugged.

Y/n: "Eh I'm not a fancy guy. I keep it simple. It's my best look in my opinion." I finished as I rested my thumbs in my pockets while we kept walking. Ruby piped up with a question though.

Ruby: "What did you mean earlier? About the titan or whatever., Atlas? Isnt that a kingdom?"

Y/n: "Oh! It's just what Ozpin said reminded me of something. Back on earth, there was an ancient belief that there was a titan, a giant man essentially, named atlas, who held up the world. Hes caught between two different tellings of a story though."

Ruby: "What do you mean?" She asked with interest. I smiled, I liked the story of Atlas.

Y/n: "In one story, he leads the other titans in rebellion against the gods but fails. When he is captured, the gods sentence him to hold the world on his shoulders for all of eternity."

Ruby: "Well that's not very nice..."

Y/n: "Yeah the greek gods were kind of jerks. The second story however is what I was reminded of.

Ruby: "Really? What reminded you of it?"

Y/n: "What Oz said about responsibility. You see most people on earth spent their time wondering how they were going to save the planet. In the second story, instead of being forced, Atlas is chosen to guard the pillars that hold up the earth and sky. Something a poet once said made me really like the story. He said that this meant the earth was not a punishment, but rather, a responsibility. It was the responsibility of the people on earth. We are Atlas now."

Ruby: "I like that story a lot more. How does that apply to what Ozpin said though?"

Y/n: "Well...think of it this way. What Oz said is right, this team is a huge responsibility. But it isnt any one person's burden alone. We, as one, are like Atlas. As a team, we take weight off of one and rest it squarely on the shoulders of everybody. We are Atlas now."

Man...if I ever manage to telepathically communicate with Shane Koyczan, I need to thank him. Ruby seemed pretty thoughtful at what I said.

Ruby: "Yeah, I guess I see what you mean. I just hope Weiss tries to make this work out too..." She looked a bit dejected at that.

Y/n: "Hey...she'll come around. Shes not used to not being above everyone she knows." She seems slightly uplifted.

"Now no more 'sad Ruby' today okay? I hate seeing you sad like that. Dont make me take a page put of Yangs book, I know you think her puns are tear-able." Ruby snickers a bit but tries to hide as she punches me in the arm and crosses her arms pouting, before she lets out a mischievous smile.

Ruby: "Any more puns out of you and I'll make you sing in front of the whole school!"

Y/n "Oh yeah? What makes you think I wont make you sing with me? How about a little bet?"

Ruby: "Oh yeah? Bring it shadow-boy!" She says with confidence. This is worth it, i like to see her smile.

Y/n: "If you beat me back to the dorm, I'll sing for the team again. But if I win, then you have to sing one!" Ruby comically gasps.

Ruby: "You wouldn't!" I gave her my own confident look.

Y/n: "Oh but I would! What's wrong rosebud? Afraid you'll get snipped?"

Ruby: "Oh it's on now! Alright then, your just as fast as me so I can use my semblance still!"

Y/n: "Alright. You ready?"

Ruby: "Always!" She said as she got ready to take off. I got into a similar stance and started the countdown.

Y/n: "Alright then. 3....2....1.....GO!!"

And then we took off at speed, leaving behind trails rose petals and shadow as we went. I kind of felt like a little kid again, this time though I had someone with me. The race was honestly neck and neck as I was able to match her speed. We were both coming up to the door, but I lost my footing when I tried to turn towards the doorway and instead Ruby crashed right into me, sending us both into the door, flinging it open and landing on the floor, startling the hell out of Yang and Blake. I landed on my back and had the wind knocked out of me by a weight on my chest. I didnt get up, but I did lift the back of my head off the ground to see the...situation...we landed ourselves in heh...

3rd Person Pov

Neither student moved for a moment, both looking right at eachother, noticeably flustered from the cliche, yet still embarrassing position on the floor of the dorm room. I mean, things were already a little cheesy before, so whatever god had decided that Ruby should land right on Y/n, practically an inch from kissing him, must be one cruel motherfucker.

(Oh shut the fuck u-)

The moment was obviously embarrassing, and most people's first instincts would be to get out of it. The human mind however, is fickle and strange. People dont always do what they think is best. Which is why neither of them moved. They were of course flustered beyond belief, their faces practically glowing from the heat of embarrassment, but it wasnt a bad feeling per say.

In the right moments, with conditions being just right, and with a perfect amount of cheesiness and cliche, people will experience feelings they never thought possible. Their heartbeats quicken, their breath catches, and their gazes fix. It's a beautiful feeling. One that's impossible to create, only to stumble upon. This was very obviously one of those moments, confirming suspicions and awnsering questions that neither of them would admit to having.

Yang and Blake watched the scene carefully from their bunks with a smile. It was, after all, a heartwarming sight to behold, especially for a sister. Under normal circumstances, Yang would've taken this opportunity to thoroughly tease and torture Ruby, like any good sister would. However this time was different. Her gut told her to let this one play out, and see where it would go. She shared a look with Blake, who seemed to have the same idea, and they both made their way slowly out the room, as not to disturb the two, and quietly shut the door on their way out.

When Y/n first woke up on remnant, Ruby had seemed familiar to him. He originally thought it was because of when he saw her figure in the hallway, but even then the feeling was...older. Now however, as he just looked into her eyes, he knew where he recognized her from. Her eyes were the beautiful, silver stars that always seemed to stare right at him in the earth's night sky. Her hair, the beautiful black of space peeking through the atmosphere, her red tips, the blazing red fire of sunset on the horizon.

He once learned, at a very young age, that beauty is relative to each person. He had spent a great deal of his life searching for beauty in the earth, but never quite found it. Now though, after walking fields of ashen ground, torn apart by the fires of nothing, he knew. He looked into those wide silver orbs, and watched as from the ashes, grew a single, majestic rose, and he knew, that he had not only found something beautiful. He had found the definition of beauty itself.

Ruby, like Y/n, was feeling things she never thought she would. Like him, she was awnsering questions in her own mind, putting together a puzzle with only two pieces. She loved him. She wouldn't try to hide it from herself. In the near two months she had known him, she had seen him at his lowest. She had seen the scars he wore, and listened to the battles he fought. She saw the effects that those scars had on him, the sadness, the fear, the emptiness. But she had also seen something, that in her eyes, was truly beautiful.

She had seen that with just the right push, it had been turned around. She saw him at his highest, smiling and beaming with joy and contentment, howling with laughter and amusement, and caring with a compassion she had never seen before. When she doubted herself, he held her up, when she was ready to give up, he held her close and helped usher her forwards. And when it felt like all was lost, like she couldnt go on anymore, like the world had simply up and left her, he held her even closer, and sang her tears away, melted her fear and doubt to the wind, and with words wove them into sparks of hope and light.

Her light had shown him the path, and his darkness helped show her the light.

In that moment that seemed to stretch on forever, she wanted nothing more than to kiss him. To give him everything. And he wanted nothing more than to do the same. Ah but nerves always seem to hold us back font they. Forcing us to take a step back and wait, scared that with one step to far, it would all fall apart. So she compromised in her mind, and just nuzzled into him, wrapping her arms around him in an embrace that could melt tundras. Y/n did not hesitate in the slightest to hold her just as tight. They saw no reason to fight what they felt, and while they couldnt tell one another just yet, they were ready to accept what was real.

'Wise men say, only fools rush in.' If such was truly the case, then Y/n figured he must truly be a fool.

But like everything else, time does pass, and the hour grew later than it already had been, fatigue poking at Rubys' consciousness. As much as she thought she should move to her bed, she didnt want to let go. So making one last compromise with herself, she nuzzled even tighter into him, not even caring that she still wore her Beacon uniform, and let a warm and comfortable sleep consume her.

Y/n realized what had happened as soon as he heard the light snores coming from the now sleeping rose in his arms. Her form rising and falling upon him with each drawn and discarded breath. He to felt sleep clawing at his mind, and so before he let himself fall asleep, he floated himself off the ground, and carefully as to not disturb the sleeping flower, drifted over to her bunk, hiding their forms beneath the makeshift tent, and pulling the blankets over them.

He took one last moment to admire the sleeping beauty in his arms. Even in her sleep her embrace never wavered, and neither did his. Planting a single kiss on the top of her head, he somehow held her even closer, and fell into a similar peaceful sleep.

When Yang and Blake eventually came back into the room, it wasnt hard to figure out what happened when they peeked into the bunk to see the duo there, still holding eachother in their sleep. Weiss eventually entered the dorm even later, after Yang and Blake had also retired for the night. She had planned on apologising to Ruby, and to Y/n as well, to try and be a better teammate. Bit when she saw the two in their state she couldnt help but smile herself. She knew that they would be fine after all. They had eachother, and so she retired for the night as well.

All was silent.

All was calm.

And sensing that the moment was safe, the world allowed itself to turn again.

If Y/n had been conscious to say something, he would have attributed the moment to a wise old chocolate maker.

"We, are the music makers"
"And we, are the dreamers, of the dreams."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(Heh. I seem to be making these chapters longer and longer each time. 4600 words this time. Thank you for reading, and hopefully enjoying.)

(Until next time.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.2K 492 30
RWBY x Male Reader Story Sorry if a lot of things in the chapters seem really confusing, rushed and stupid. It's because I'm really not the best at w...
129 0 15
A lone hunter experiences memory loss while stowing away in a food delivery truck, now he must explore the city and his suitcase to recover the forg...
6.1K 110 11
(RWBY x Mute Male Reader, Volume 1) First book, spelling mistakes, bla bla you get it. Each volume will be a separate book cuz fuck it. Also, a (not...
949K 13.2K 86
Disclaimer: I do not own Rwby by Rooster teeth, Undertale by Tony Fox, or any of the images, videos, songs or references that are put on this story o...