✔The Cricketer's Ex-Wife[The...

By thebutterflyeffect31

Now available as Audiobook on Audible India. On the field, Shaurya Gupta is a star batsman for the Indian cri... More

Chapter 1- Ripples in the calm waters
Chapter 2- Pleasure meeting you
Chapter 3- Anger and Resentment
Chapter 4- Sprouts of hope
Chapter 5- The good samaritan
Chapter 6- Not my friend
Chapter 7- Being an adult sucks
Chapter 8- The photoshoot
Chapter 9- A replica
Chapter 10- A friend indeed
Chapter 11- The secret box
Chapter 12- You, me, and room
Chapter 13- Daddy and Baby date
Chapter 14- The Pineapple Attack
Chapter 15- The Thief
Chapter 16- Truth- A two sided coin
Chapter 17- Priya Sinha
Chapter 18- The calm before the storm
Chapter 19- The Good Cop Bad Cop
Chapter 20- Bruises and Balms
Chapter 21- The storm
Chapter 22- The sleepover
Chapter 23- A serial killer and tears
Chapter 25- The Facebook Live
Chapter 26- The burden of truth
Chapter 27- A 7 year old boy
Chapter 28- A second chance
Chapter 29- The Family Trip
Chapter 30- The wake-up call
Chapter 31- Tweets and one E-mail
Chapter 32- When the dust settles
Chapter 33- Our happy ending
Epilogue
Please help

Chapter 24- The Red Riding Hood And Her Wolf

28.5K 2.1K 168
By thebutterflyeffect31

Author's note:  We have hit 20K reads!!! Thank you so much🤗

"Am I asking you to clean?" She snapped when he teased her about having a 'clean bowled' moment. It was the term that he always used when she went on a cleaning spree. When they were together, they would always have arguments about how he could never clean up after himself, and she had to do it for him. Even after so many years, whenever he was lazy and left his stuff lying around, he could hear her voice and the look she would give him.

The ringing of her phone brought Shaurya out of his thoughts. She tried to move her hands away, but he shook his head."I'll go get it." He said and followed the sound.

He walked into a bedroom, which looked like it belonged to Dhvani and Dhruv's because of the big picture frame on the wall above the bed. It was a picture of Dhruv when he was younger. He couldn't tell how old Dhruv really was, but he had no teeth, and he was kissing or biting Dhvani's cheek while she was holding him and laughing.

"Did you find it?" Dhvani yelled.

Find what? Oh right! The phone. He looked around the bedroom and found it under the pile of clothes.

'Papa' the caller id read. He really had to give this man credit where it was due. Haripraksh Mishra had this amazing talent of coming in between him and Dhvani even when he was sitting somewhere else in the country or city.

He returned to the kitchen with the phone in his hand. It had already stopped ringing, but her ex-father-in-law was not a man to give up easily; he called again.

"Who is it?" She asked, distractedly staring at her hands and then shutting off the tap.

"Your father." He said and held out the phone in front of her. He wanted to see how she talked to her father. Would she accuse him? Would she be able to stand up to her hero for what he did to them?

He saw the colour sweep out of Dhvani's face at the mention of her father. Without even wiping her hands, she grabbed the phone and ended the call.

"Are you not even going to talk to him to ask him anything?" Shaurya whispered after moments of silence. Did she not want to question her father after everything he had done? But then who was he to judge? He had ignored Priya's calls this morning too. The fact that his friend had a hand in their separation cut him deep. Whatever the reason was for her to hide Dhvani's multiple attempts of reaching out to him, it was wrong, and he couldn't forgive her.

Dhvani leaned her hips against the sink and closed her eyes. He felt a heavyweight starting to weigh his heart down as he watched her fighting back her tears. "I didn't realize how much he hated you. Hated us together until yesterday." She whispered as she stared at her feet. "I don't think I want to see him or talk to him yet."

He took a step towards her and stood in front of her. "What do you mean?"

Dhvani wiped her tears away and sniffled. The tip of her nose turned red, and he immediately remembered the endearment he would call her- red riding hood. Her nose and face would always get red when she was really cold, really angry or really emotional. Sometimes, in between a fight, he would call her 'Red Riding Hood' and break into laughter much to her irritation. And sometimes, if she were in a good mood, she would call him her wolf to which he would playfully howl and pounce on her and tackle her down with sloppy kisses and soft bites.

"When he came to me with those divorce papers that you apparently sent to me." She paused and took deep breaths to calm down. "I told him I was pregnant. And I didn't realize how cruel my father was then even when he asked me to choose between Dhruv and him."

"What?" He asked in disbelief. Were Dhvani and her father not in touch? Her father gave her an ultimatum to choose between Dhruv and him?

"He didn't want me to give birth to your baby. To our baby. He didn't call me for nine months." She explained, ending any confusion he may have.

He blinked as he tried to process the information that he had been hit with. Pushing away from the surge of anger, he felt when he realized Hariprakash was attempting to hurt Dhruv. How dare he even have that thought? Then he suddenly, a realization hit him, "So who was with you during your pregnancy?" Shaurya asked as he gathered her into his arms because she was crying now.

She shook her head, and he really hoped that it was because she was trying to say that she didn't want to tell him and not because she was alone. Placing her forehead against his shoulder. He felt her shoulders shake, and each of her sobs felt like a stab at his already wounded heart. "No one. I was all alone. You know Trupti can't take the hospital smell. I was all alone in the labour room too... I need... I... scared.... for you to hold my hand...." she babbled incoherently. But he knew and understood what she was trying to say. She had been alone without any real support. She had given birth and raised Dhruv all on her own. He wrapped his other hand around his shoulders and held her close to himself.

He could feel her soft body slowly melt into him and then became one with him. So much so that he could feel her heartbeat. He could feel the ever tremor and shiver that passed her crying body. Her hot tears soaked through his shirt, and the depth of her sadness and pain seep through his veins. He couldn't believe the strength that his Dhvani possessed. While his life had been burdensome, Dhvani's life had been even more difficult because she had to take care of not only herself but also Dhruv, and she had done such a great job too.

As he continued to hold her and think of possible ways to share her hurt and sadness, she had to face, but he couldn't. Another thing he couldn't control was the hatred he felt towards Hariprakash Mishra. How was it possible that her father was such a vile and self-centred person who could break all ties with his daughter because she chose a husband that was not of his choice? Didn't Hariprakash Mishra always claim that he loved his daughter more than anything in this world? Then how could he be so cruel and heartless to her leave her, a barely 22-year-old girl, all alone in this world to experience the tumultuous journey of pregnancy?

He pulled back but kept his arms wrapped around her, holding her close to him. Pushing her hair away from her face, he tried to study her face. When she finally looked up at him, it felt like he had taken an ice-cold fist to his gut. "I am sorry." He said to her as he rested her forehead against hers, and he really was. He should have known better, especially when he was aware of what kind of man her father really was. How could he let his ego get in the way of him and Dhvani? He knew the inhibitions and concerns she had, but all he had expected was for her to believe and trust him. He should have taken the time to sit her down and talk to her instead of closing himself off.

She sniffled and used the back of her hand to wipe her nose. "I am sorry." He repeated as he kissed her tears away. "I am sorry."

"I am sorry too." She whispered and raised her hand to play with the button of his t-shirt. "I really should have trusted you. I am sorry that I didn't stand up to my father when he made those snide and rude comments about you and your father." she took a deep breath. "I was a terrible wife. All I wanted was my father's approval. And I let that want overpower everything in my life, even our relationship."

He shook his head. "I was a terrible husband too. I should have taken more effort to explain everything to you. To tell you that Priya didn't mean anything more than a friend to me. You are the only woman I loved and wanted. Ever."

She looked up at him with the same determination and vulnerability as she did when she first gave him the greeting card to confess her feelings. "Then why did you sleep with her, and you still kept in touch with her?"

Shaurya, who was stroking her back, stopped his movement and looked at her like she had slapped him. He was about to take a defensive step back, but then remembered why they were in this situation in the first place. "Dhvani," he began softly. "It didn't mean anything." He explained and she scoffed involuntarily and tried to walk away, but he didn't let. He let her walk out on him and their relationship once, but he wouldn't let her do that again. Never again. "I had come back from Baba's funeral, feeling utterly lost. It felt like there was no purpose in my life. I tried to be a good son and husband but couldn't become either. I was so drunk that night that I didn't even realize what I was doing. I just someone to be with and.....God, I was stupid. I am sorry. It didn't mean anything at all. After that, I haven't ever been with anyone. Couldn't be with anyone that wasn't you," he confessed. "All these photos and videos you see are nothing. I swear trust me."

She studied his face intently. She could feel and see his remorse and guilt but didn't comment. Everything was too much to process all at once. Right now, she just wanted to relish the fact that Shaurya was really here in front of her. In her life. In Dhruv's life.

☆▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎☆

They didn't know how they ended up on the couch or how they ended up in each other's embrace, but neither of them minded it.

He alternated between playing with her hair and drawing circles on her arm while she lay on his chest, hearing the steady thumping of his heart.

"Dhvani?" He spoke softly, not wanting to break the silence truce.

"Hmmm?" She hummed back.

"Why did you decide to give Dhruv my last name?" He asked.

She took a while to reply and then simply shrugged her shoulders. "That was the name I decided for our son. And I thought whether or not you liked; Dhruv was our baby. I wanted Dhruv to have some part of his father even if his father didn't want him."

"Thank you," he said and pressed his lips against her forehead. "Thank you for this beautiful gift called fatherhood. Technically I haven't done anything to be called Dhruv's father in all senses, but just the fact that I am a father feels surreal to me."

She looked up at him and smiled softly.

Shaurya panicked and held her hand when she sat up and tried to stand. "I want to show you something. I'll be back." She said with a small amused smile.

He let go of her hand, feeling rather sheepish. "I am sorry. Sure!" He mumbled and pushed himself to a sitting position too. He scrubbed his face and waited for her to return from her bedroom.

Dhvani came back, holding an album in her hand and turned on the lights because it was already dusk. They didn't even realize how much time they were just laying there in silence.

"What time does Dhruv usually come back from school?"

"Usually around 4:30, but today Trupti has taken him shopping. He had taken after his Maasi when it comes to picking out his clothes. He needs everything to be perfect. Not even a single crease." She said, making them both chuckle.

For the first time since getting there, he took in her physical appearance. Her long hair was draped on her left shoulder and was tousled because of him. The loose white t-shirt hid her curves, which he didn't like. With a sleepy smile, she sat down beside him and placed the album in his lap.

"What is this?" He asked in bewilderment.

Instead of answering, she flipped the album open.

Shaurya gasped when he saw Dhruv's pictures from different occasions adorning the pages of the album. His eyes were fixed on the photograph of a heavily pregnant Dhvani holding her stomach and smiling.

He looked up at her and smiled with an unreadable expression that made Dhvani tingle all over. When she cleared her throat and moved an inch away from him, he focused his attention back to the album.

One by one, he studied each of the photos carefully on the first page. She didn't even realize he had been crying till she saw a drop of tear roll onto the page.

"Sorry." He said and wiped his tears away. "I spoilt your scrapbook." He said and tried to clean up the smudged ink his tear had caused.

She let out a small giggle and held his hand to stop him. "It's fine. It's terrible anyway. I wish I were as creative as you are, but I still wanted to show Dhruv these parts of his childhood when he grows up."

"This one was his first picture." She pointed at a photograph of her in a hospital gown, and she held an infant Dhruv.

"He is so little," Shaurya said as he ran his fingers over the photo.

She laughed again. "Well, he was just born, but he was a little weak and underweight. I was so scared of carrying him because I didn't want to hurt him in any way."

He smiled and listened to her sharing a detailed encounter and story behind each of the photos. The guilt of not being there when Dhvani and Dhruv needed him slowly dulled, but he had to make peace with the fact that he wouldn't be able to experience all this again.

"Dhvani, I was... I wanted to... I mean, there is no pressure, but..." he stammered as he tried to figure out how he wanted to phrase his next words.

"We'll tell him on his birthday," Dhvani said, moving closer to him.

Shaurya's heart began beating fast in half part excitement and half parts nervousness. He was excited to be Dhruv's father officially, but he was also nervous about the big responsibility. What if Dhruv didn't like him? What if he didn't fit the image that Dhruv had created of his father?

"Don't worry. Dhruv will love you." She said, reading his thoughts.

He looked at her in confusion. How was it possible that even after all these years she could read his mind like this?

"I don't think so. I mean... I don't really have anything to be loved for. I-"

"He just told me this morning that he wished you were his father." She interrupted him.

"R-really?" He asked, and he broke out into a grin when she nodded.

She laughed and cupped his face instinctively. They both waited for the other to make the first move, but when neither of them did, they moved away from each other awkwardly.

"Can I keep this scrapbook with me tonight?" Shaurya asked after some time.

"Sure." She stammered and stood up. "Trupti and Dhruv are probably going to be back soon." She said, stuffing her hands in her pockets.

"Oh?" He gulped and nodded. "Right... I guess I should get going too." He said and stood up.

"You won't stay to meet Dhruv?" She asked in astonishment.

He took a deep breath and shook his head. "If I see him today, then I won't be able to leave, and I think we still have a few things to discuss before we tell Dhruv."

"Then stay." She offered without any thought. "I...mean...not like that... I was just trying to..."

He closed the distance between them in two quick strides and gathered her into his arms. Bending down, he kissed her. Gently at first but they soon turned frenzy. He sat on the couch and pulled her into his lap. She wove her fingers through his hair and slightly tugged at it while his hand found it's way under her t-shirt.

Shaurya was the first one to come to his senses. He gently pulled away, making her feel conscious about everything. She tried to get up, but he held her in his lap. "I didn't mean to offend you." He hurriedly explained when Dhvani began squirming in an attempt to get up. "I want you more than anything right now, but we are not teenagers anymore to brush all our fights under the carpet just because we had sex. For this to work, we need to communicate through our words. Right?" He said and pecked her cheeks twice.

She blinked slowly, and she looked at the changed man in front of her. After a few moments of her just looking at him, she nodded.

He smiled and rubbed her chin, which was slightly red and raw.

"Dhruv was right. Your beard is pokey." She said with a small giggle.

"I'll get rid of it." He offered.

She cupped his face once more and ran the tips of his fingers across his beard. "I like it, though." She confessed.

He laughed, "I'll keep it then." He said and kissed her again.

She quickly looked around the floor to make sure there was no one else. "Everything looks clear." She said to Shaurya, who was laughing because he thought it looked like she was staying at a girl's hostel, and she had sneaked in her boyfriend at night.

"I'll see you tomorrow at your office?" He asked as he stood near the doorway.

"For the Facebook live? Yes."

He nodded and began walking to the elevator. Suddenly he turned around and took off his sunglasses and blew a kiss to her like he did the first time he had snuck into her bedroom.

"Bye!" She laughed and shook her head.

Author's note: Hi guys, I hope you all liked the chapter, and if you did then, please do vote and comment. Can we try and get this chapter to 115 votes, pretty please?❤🤗

P.S. I am taking a short break from writing/uploading any of my stories for some time. I want to say around two weeks but it may be longer. I am not sure. However, I promise to try and be back as soon as possible. I hope you'll still be here when I return🤞

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.9K 1.9K 56
In the glittering world of wealth and power, he is known as a billionaire, a shrewd business tycoon. But behind the polished facade lies another trut...
593K 37.5K 35
(#1 Unwanted Series) ||Arranged Marriage Romance|| "Open it." She said in her commanding tone, as my hand made towards her 𝒌𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒅 to ope...
25.7K 3.1K 7
"Marry me", Shaurya Singh Shekhawat muttered with pure hatred in his eyes holding her arms in his vile grip "You hate me", Akansha Dixit said with fe...
18.4K 824 14
Cover by @awesomeshivu Nothing is permanent- not fame, not money. Everything has its own expiry date and one small situation is enough to turn the ta...