Just A Shadow (RWBY male read...

By MichaelStotts2

well fuck here we are, first attempt at writing in fuck knows how long. ehm this story is gonna be a bit...di... More

Chapter 1: The Dark
Chapter 2: Unexpected
Chapter 3: Here to Stay
Chapter 4: A Dance in the Dustshop
Chapter 5: The Wizard of Oz
Chapter 6: Meeting The Family
Chapter 7: Beacon Academy
Chapter 8: Beacon Academy pt 2
chapter 9: Initiation
Chapter 10: The Emerald Forest
Chapter 11: A Challenger Approaches
Chapter 12: Ugly Scars
Chapter 14: Musical Morning
wtf?
Chapter 15: We Are Atlas Now
News on Chapter 16
Halftime
Chapter 16: Get Up
sorry
Chapter 17: Grace in the Grey
Chapter 18: Its Okay to be Afraid
hello again!
The Break: Goodbye, To A World
V2 Ch1: Round Two
V2 Ch2: Introductions
back on track!
V2: Ch3: In The Rear With The Gear
Important! Please vote!
V2 Ch4: Talk the Talk, Walk the Walk
Y/n's shadows/Umbrakinesis
V2 Ch5: The Rain
teeny tiny vote
little piece o news
V2 Ch6: Burden of the Blade
(small) V2 Ch7: Pre-Party
(small) V2 Ch8: Tapping the Brakes
V2 Ch8: "Dance Dance...Somethin"
V2 Ch9: Mission Morning
very important schedule update.
V2 Ch10: "Reconnaissance"
V2 Finale: "Enemy At The Gates"
The Interim
quick question!
V3 Ch1: Fever Dream
V3 Ch2: Ashes and Blood
Lets Do This
V3 Ch3: Omens
V3 Finale: Vanished
heheh
Guess whos fucking back
is anyone still there..?
VOLUME 4 CH 1: Deathless
V4 Ch2: A Colder Place
V4 Ch3: Buried In The Ashes

Chapter 13: Can Still Heal

7.1K 127 155
By MichaelStotts2

(I'm trying to crank this chapter out relatively quickly so that the story can resume and I can get out of the dark place I need to be to write these parts. Dont expect this to be the last of Y/ns' issues though. In the mean time thank you for 1.2k reads. It means a lot.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Person Pov

Light returned to the silent dorm room, illuminating the five students sitting in total silence. Everyone wore different reactions to what they had witnessed.

Blake was sitting there, apologetic and filled with an understanding she couldnt let herself voice. Although under different circumstances, she knew the pain of losing someone close, and knew what it was like to be lost.

Weiss was still trying to make heads or tails of what she saw, an expression of deep thought on her face. She didnt know whether she should be disgusted, or if she should feel bad. She had never seen someone go through the hardship she witnessed, living a life behind closed doors with practically everything she wanted, she wasnt taught empathy or kindness, she was exploring new territory at Beacon, though she would never admit it.

Ruby was filled with a new understanding of her partners pain. She had never truly heard the whole story until now, and she was caught in shock for a moment when she saw what really happened. Her shock quickly faded however, and was replaced by an intense worry. She knew the pain of losing people you love better than many, and knew it was something you never truly moved on from, but this was new territory for her. She was concerned for her friend, not just his emotional well being, but his mental health. He wasnt crazy, not would she dream of calling him that...but what was this doing to the young mans mind? What did these events really do to his already weak will, and weaker psyche? He must have been shattered when he realized what he had done. Something like that just wasnt a part of who he was...

Yang was still in the same position as before. She had pieced the puzzle together in her head, a look of sadness on her face. She still had her gaze set on the music box, whose figurine remained the same, except the figure of the person had fell to its knees among the bloodstained Rose's, bearing new scars. Its head was buried in its hands as tears were seen on its face still. The figure itself seemed to crack, almost as if being crushed under a massive pressure. Before she could even do anything, the box wound itself, and began to play its song...

She set the box down on the bed next to her, and the four huntresses-in-training turned the fifth member of the team.

Y/n, to say the absolute least, was not in a good spot right now. His normally bright and sharp silver eyes were dim, and dull. A blank thousand yard stare that seemed to pierce through reality in despair, tears flowing freely down his cheeks as he tried his best not to fall to his knees on the floor. The pain seen on his face was intense, his entire expression radiating pain, sadness and hopelessness. He spoke in a quiet and shrill voice.

Y/n: "I just...lost it...I couldnt even think about what I was doing until it already happened. I can still see it. Every shot, every face. Even for what they did their faces as they died burn into my eyes everytime I close them. I wake up in cold sweats at night because I cant stop seeing myself standing there, just tearing away life."

He tightly gripped the sides of his head as his voice rose in volume. Even in his tone you could hear the sobs and pain.

Y/n: "I dont want to be that person! I dont want to kill people!! AND FOR THE FIRST TIME I DONT WANT TO DIE!!!"

And then the dam broke. He couldnt hold anything in any longer, his strength was gone. And so there he was, left lying open for all of them to see as he no longer tired to contain the tears that now flowed like rivers down his face. He hated this. He spent his whole past life bottling himself up, packing himself away so he didnt worry or hurt anyone else, and now even that was gone, the walls he put up were crashing down around him. A castle built on pillars of salt and sand.

He hated this. Y/n was by no means a hateful person, in fact with all things considered he was an incredibly patient. But he couldnt stand this. Pinned to the dish with his mind layed out for others to see. The last thing he wanted to be was a burden. He didnt want people to pity him, but now he couldnt even speak. Not even able to look up at his four teammates. Whether he was scared of what he'd see, or just couldnt lift his head he didnt know, but he figured it was probably both. I mean, they had to be disgusted with him didnt they? He killed people! Slaughtered them like sheep and yet he was given this second chance. He never asked for any of this! He was ready to just fade away, that's what he had wanted! And now he was here...once again at the mercy of whatever cold fate or god had in store for him...he readied himself to be shunned...cast out...alone again...

Rubys' Pov

Theres a few things I've learned since I met Y/n. Right now one of the most important things is that when two souls connect with eachother, they form a sort of...bridge...between the two souls. Across this bridge, a number of things can travel from one soul to the other, two relevant examples would be severe pain, and extreme emotion. The former happened earlier, when I felt Y/ns' pain from his wounds, telling me something was wrong. Right now, would be a good example of the latter.

During this whole...episode I've felt it. It's just pouring out from him like blood from an artery and I'm close to breaking down like he is. He hates himself, he thinks hes a monster. Disgusted by his own actions he thinks he no longer deserves this second chance of his, but now it's different. He wants to live, he wants this second chance...but at this rate he might lose that desire to try. He expects us to hate him, to call him some sort of monster, a lunatic, crazy.

I cant do that to him!

He doesnt know it but i made a promise!

I promised I would help him! That I would make sure he gets his second chance!

I cant tell him yet...but that doesnt mean I cant act! I'll be damned if I just sit here and let him fall again! He was so alive during the initiation and I know this isnt the end for him!

I wrapped my arms around him. I didnt try to stop the tears anymore either, he needs to know that I mean this, that I'll be right here with him, just like I told him. I could feel him tense up when u hugged him, I could feel him looking down at me but I just held him tighter. I could feel his confusion, he really thought I was going to leave him behind. I was crying but I could still speak clearly enough.

Ruby: "Your an idiot if you think I'm gonna leave you behind because of something like that...as far as I see it those weren't even people."

I could feel him shaking slightly. He was trying not to break any more than he already had. But now it's different, he needs to see that he isnt at fault here, he isnt a monster.

Ruby: "Even if you didn't mean to, you had the strength to get up and act when no-one else could. If you hadn't done what you did, thousands of innocent people would've died instead. You dont have to think your a hero. You dont even have to like what happened. I can feel the holes that doing that left in you..."

I pulled back just far enough so that I could look up and meet his eyes. He still didnt want to believe he did the right thing.

Ruby: "But dont try even for a second to convince yourself that your some kind of monster. We all do things we regret and there isnt always a happy ending. You are not a monster Y/n. And your not something to be thrown away. Your just as much a person as the rest of us."

I leaned back into him and did my best drive this home. Though it was starting to get hard to talk through the tears. Such a crybaby...

"Every. Step. Of. The way...remember?"

He caved again, returning the embrace with his own tight hold. He didnt want to let go, he might just have been trying to convince himself that he wasnt dreaming. I know he was reassured though when the rest of the team got up and turned this into a group hug. Weiss seemed like she was hesitating for a moment, but even she came in to support her teammate. Guess the Ice Queen has a heart after all...

3rd Person Pov

The music box continued to spin its solemn song, etching to the world a story that only four have ever heard, and one has ever told. All story's come from somewhere after all. The figure on the box seemed to relax itself, the cracks on its shiny silver form disappeared, and the blood washed away. When it looked at its little world in the box once more, the Rose's no longer dropped with blood. They bloomed a beautiful, deep red. The figure plucked a rose, and held it close, before it and the box, were scattered to the shadows, like leaves in the wind.

Y/n had a very hard time believing what was happening. After expecting only rejection, disgust and anger...he was shown care...acceptance...love...and maybe Ruby was right...he doesnt have to like what happened, and the memory of it will likely stain him forever. But this new life wasnt given to him so he could wallow in himself and give up, he had an opportunity to right his wrongs, to really live life. He had a reason to live. All thanks to a little rose...

How did he get so lucky? He had no idea what he did to deserve even knowing her...but he was happy he did. He just held her closer as the silence washed over the room. It was not a sad or grim silence though, it was simply comfortable, a silence of contempt...and healing.

Ruby was unable to explain to anyone, not even herself, why she wanted to help Y/n so much. She was a kind person, and normally loved to help people, but this felt...different. Any normal person would've taken Y/n to a therapist the second this all happened, yet here she was. Clinging to him for dear life, like if she let go of his he'd just...scatter. One thing was certain for her, as long as she was around...he would never be alone.

Several minutes passed as nobody moved from their place.

Yang, Blake and Weiss eventually retreated from the hug, leaving the black and red duo still locked in their embrace, if the two had noticed the others pulling away, they didnt seem to care. Taking this as a sign, the three began to leave. After checking the time Yang noticed that breakfast should still be serving, so she left a note telling the two that they would be in the cafeteria and left with her two teammates.

The whole day could've gone by and it's likely neither of them would care. All that existed to them was this moment, both finding comfort in the other.

Y/n: "I really cant figure out what I did to deserve this."

Ruby looked up at him in slight confusion. What did he mean? Deserve what? He made eye contact with her, and for a moment the world froze again.

Y/n: "How do I even deserve to know you? Your the most amazing person I've ever met, and I dont think anyone on earth or remnant could even come to a close second."

That certainly shocked the girl a bit. She hardly thought herself amazing, but hearing it come from him felt...good, like a fire keeping her warm, it didnt explain the heat on her face however. The boy let out a small chuckle at her flustered state, only worsening said fluster, eliciting Ruby to lightly hit his chest. She relaxed again though, leaning back in.

Ruby: "I could say the same thing about you. You really are an incredible person Y/n. The time you've been around...well it's some of the happiest I've ever been in my whole life. You always seem to know how to cheer me up too."

Y/n: "Well...I'm glad I could do something right."

Another indeterminable amount of time passed. If someone were to walk in, they might think the two fell asleep together, the room completely silent save the soft breathing of the duo. They both knew what the situation implied...but truth be told neither of them minded one bit.

...

...

...

Time however waits for no-one, and neither do empty stomachs, as much to Ruby's embarrassment, her stomach let out a rather loud growl. She flushed with embarrassment and Y/n couldnt help but snicker at the event.

Y/n: "Y'know, as much as I really would love to stay here, I think food would do us both some good right now."

Ruby: "Y-yeah I guess your right." The embarrassed girl stuttered forth. But she regained her composure. "Are you sure your alright now?"

Y/n: "That's a matter of perspective really...but I'm good enough to go face the day. I'm definitely better than I was before."

Ruby still seemed concerned at first as they both finally retreated from the embrace, which was not unnoticed by the boy.

Y/n: "Hey I'll be okay for now. I cant make any promises for the future but I think I'm good for a while now. I really needed this, and it helped a lot."

There was sincerity and confidence in his words, but Ruby wanted to be sure. She searched his sharp eyes for any sign of doubt, and when she found none she let a smile come to her face.

Ruby: "Alright, I'll trust you on this one. Just dont hesitate if you need to take a break for a bit okay?"

Y/n: "Cross my heart" he replied, gesturing accordingly.

They both stood from the bed and walked to the door, finding the note left by Yang.

Ruby: " 'Went to the cafeteria to get some breakfast. Hope to see you there.' Well I guess we'll just meet them there."

Y/n: "Well let's not keep them waiting shall we?"

And with that they continued out the door, side by side' to make their way to the cafeteria.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(Alright there we go. Now this chapter is much shorter at 2600 words but that is because the last one was 4500 words. Either way this super depressing little arc is over for now and the story may resume. It should be said however that this wont just blow over, it will likely be a lasting issue.

Scars are forever, they never really go away.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter, and ty for 1.3k reads in the time I took writing this chapter, and as always. Until next time.)

(Every step of the way...remember?)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239K 2.2K 10
Got the idea way back when @Boogiethehedgehog3 did his original abused and depressed male reader and so here I am to give my own little take to it...
9.2K 146 26
"I will protect them, no matter what, even if it means burning the entire remnant to the ground, i will protect them, this is a promise" "This is My...
61.2K 904 47
I DO NOT OWN RWBY ROOSTER TEETH OWNS RWBY THERE ARE SOME FEW SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED RWBY YET So this is just a fanfic for the readers who wa...
1.1K 8 28
This is my first story I have made so I hope you enjoy it Story: There was a team of 5 misfits created to protect/defend their universe/dimensions an...