Girls of Shadows

By BEXybean

Two sisters ripped apart by the confines of their kingdom; two souls seeking freedom from a bloody fate. One... More

Prologue- The Shadow Princess
Chapter 1- Lina
Chapter 2 - Grace
Chapter 3- Lina
Chapter 4- Grace
Chapter 5- Lina
Chapter 6 - Lina
Chapter 7- Grace
Chapter 8- Lina
Chapter 9- Grace
Chapter 10- Grace
Chapter 11- The Shadow Princess
Chapter 12- Lina
Chapter 13- Grace
Chapter 14- Lina
Chapter 15- Lina
Chapter 16- Grace
Chapter 18- Lina
Chapter 19- Grace
Chapter 20- The Shadow Princess
Chapter 21- Lina
Chapter 22- Grace
Chapter 23- Lina
Chapter 24- Lina
Chapter 25- Grace
Chapter 26- Grace

Chapter 17- Grace

21 2 3
By BEXybean

There was an urgent announcement from the Emperor the next day, and he called the court to gather in the Great Hall at dawn. Usually, the shuffling feet of the nobles in the early morning would cause some sort of noise, but it was as if we were all taking a moment of silence. The gloom of it was terrifying.

I hadn't noticed the signs before, and I could have kicked myself for it. The way the Lords of all the noble houses were meeting day after day, the hushed whispers in the hall, the absence of the Emperor, Leven and my father scarcely inviting me to their meals. The men of the castle were prepping, quietly and covertly.

It was felt outside the castle too, I noticed, as I watched the first rays of sunlight wash away the quiet night. From the view of my window, the street below looked devoid of happiness. Soldiers lined the walls outside the castle, and people knew well enough to stay far away from them. Anytime someone couldn't avoid walking by the gates, they scurried with their heads down.

People were scared, and I hadn't even noticed. What were the Mariner's in Fairharbor feeling, what pressures were my father and Leven pushing on them, while I was locked away behind the iron gates of the court?

Heart sinking, I knew I must have appeared like the worst ruler in Mantiva. A scared little girl, hiding behind the crown, and leaving her people to fend for themselves.

Lina would have done better.

A knock on my chamber door sent my reeling mind into silence. Looking away from the vacant street, my heart plunged even farther into the depths of fear. Drayce stood in the entryway, hands clasped behind his back, as he watched me with expectant eyes.

"Time to go, Grace."

The way he spoke those words, combined with the somber walk down to the Hall, made me feel as if I was marching to my own execution. With the rush of people trying to fill the room, I was pleased that Drayce stayed strong and silent by my side.

I curled my hands into fists, willing myself to refrain from grabbing Drayce's large arm for support. Throwing my head back, I hoped I relayed more confidence than I felt, and stepped into the crowded hall.

The room grew noticeably quiet. Heads turned to look my way. My hands grew clammy as my pulse went haywire, alerting the beast inside. With each burning gaze, I felt her growl defensively. With each hushed whisper, she bristled painfully. Her main concern was survival, ensuring no one approached us while we were vulnerable. I wanted to look as frightening as they made me feel.

I refrained from obsessively checking my gown for imperfections, but my fear must have been obvious on my face. Drayce's crisp, clean scent wafted over me before I felt his gentle hand on my back and he led me past the rows of gawking nobles.

I was too thankful to worry about the gossip his kind actions would start.

At the front of the room, the heirs had taken their respective spots in front of the dias. Nolan was watching me curiously, that smirk on his face raising every hair on my arms. Next to him, Chay was a calm presence, his face blank but his eyes following Drayce's hand on my back. Aela wasn't looking my way, her eyes trained on the thrones atop the dias with a worrisome frown.

As I neared the end of the crowd, a voice called my name. My father was standing in the front row, Leven handsomely dressed up and glued to his side. With a glance at Drayce, who simply stared at me with no indication, I turned and walked to sit beside them.

Drayce moved to stand quietly at the wall, but I quickly grabbed his sleeve to stop him. He peeked down at me with raised eyebrows, but I simply let go of his arm and nodded to the space that was unoccupied to my left. Without looking to see if he complied- I knew he did, by the way his sheathed sword hit my leg as he settled on the bench- I turned to Callum Reeves.

"Have I been replaced by your new favorite child?" I asked unkindly, flicking my eyes past him and accusingly to Leven. He looked undoubtedly noble in his fresh three-piece suit, nearly identical to the one my father wore to his more proper meetings.

Did no one tell Leven this wasn't a Gods-damned dinner party with the Emperor? I felt spoiled and rude for thinking such things, but the guilt was nothing compared to the bitterness the pair of them brought out. And surely this announcement did not have a dress code.

My father's smile was tight as he received my question, barely turning to look at me with those cold green eyes. "Please, Grace, do not shame yourself with such nonsense. It appears your reputation can not handle anymore condemnation."

I bit my lip to prevent a sneer from showing, catching Chay's eye from the front of the room. That look had heat searing down my spine in pleasure, and allowed my mind a distraction from my father's disapproval. Keeping my eyes on the handsome Duke, I found myself speaking with steady words.

"You hardly had any problem with flaunting Lina as your favorite daughter before her recruitment. Surely her betrayal to you did not scar your perception so much you can't take a new heir?"

A cold laugh. "Her deception had nothing to do with my scarred perception of you, daughter."

I flinched, and Chay's jaw ground as he watched my response. I felt knuckles brush the handle of the sword still pressed against my thigh, Drayce's hand at the ready. I wasn't sure if I was pleased my father couldn't see.

"It's my likeness to mother that causes your resentment, then?"

Callum Reeves stiffened in the corner of my eye, and a small growl of satisfaction worked its way up my throat. For a moment, all I could feel was pride at earning that reaction, and my eyes peeled from Chay's to land on my father's still form.

"My disfavor of you has nothing to do with what you are, Grace. It has everything to do with what your mother and Lina were able to do that you cannot."

"And please enlighten me on what that is, father?" I growled out, turning fully towards him, feeling my defenses grow past the point of restraint.

He turned towards me, Leven quiet by his side. With a cold stare, my father crumbled every last ounce of control I had left. "They could command the respect of an entire army, while you cannot even sway a few miserable Mariners."

This time, the growl did not reside in my throat. It snuck past my barred teeth, hissing into the air between my father and I. I felt Drayce stand behind me, his large form protective and sturdy at my back, urging my feral energy to the surface. Callum's eyes flashed to the large shifter behind my shoulder, narrowing in suspicion, before finally landing back onto me with a start.

Then, with the entire court speaking solemnly around us, with my guard at my back and anger boiling in my veins, my father truly looked at me. As if he actually saw me, beyond the expectations of a Lady at court and past the meek daughter he thought me as and found the unbroken legacy of a beast that was simmering in my blood. More than anything, I hoped he saw every spark and was undeniably terrified.

There was hardly an instant between one moment and the next. Callum, with those brazen green eyes gaping at my heated glare in utter disbelief, had just collected himself enough to mutter a few choice words at me, before the Emperor came striding through the doors and the entire room fell to their knees.

"Gods-damned cursed."

My father ripped his eyes from me and bowed to the Emperor. I followed with my red dress pooling around my legs and knees banging the floor, but it was numbed by the cold hatred that coiled around my heart at his words.

Cursed. Cursed. Cursed.

Each thud that followed, each member of the court that dropped to the floor sent a vibration through me that spurred the echoing of that Gods-damned word.

Cursed. Cursed. Cursed.

Drayce dipped into an elegant bow next to me, his head dipped to the floor and those leather pants sliding along my silk skirts until his knee was pressed up against mine. Gently, he put his large hand on my thigh, swirling black tattoos sneaking out from under the sleeve of his leather tunic.

Cursed. Cursed. Cursed.

I watched at his large fingers curled against my thigh, the bird-like talons protruding from his nails sending a shooting pain up my leg. Trickles of blood pooled into the fabric of my skirt, vaguely darkening the crimson to the color of deep merlot. Watching it was hypnotic, feeling the pulsating of my blood spilling onto the dress until the splotches blended together. That wild energy in the base of my spine surged, demanding to be freed by the promise of bloodshed, even my own.

But she relented when I commanded her away, sulking back down with a sorrowful pang that resonated in my chest.

As we stood, Drayce's hand falling away tarnished with my blood, I realised two things. The pounding in my head had eased, and my beast had remarkably allowed herself to be subdued by me. My eyes went from Drayce's stained fingers to slide across his smug face.

"Blood,' he whispered. "Almost as powerful as magic itself."

Blood. Blood. Blood.

As I stood with the rest of the crowd, a new chant took over in my thoughts. My beast went absolutely wild with the silent promise, with the violent thoughts and gorey image she associated with the word. Inside, my shifter was a bloodthirsty heathen, prying to take control. The one thing she craved was the same thing that controlled her.

The warmth of my blood trickled down my shin, and I was hyper aware of the begging and preening that emerged from the source of my power. But even she wasn't strong enough to overpower the hypnotic effects my blood had on her. When I told her to stand down and settle, she did, the feel of blood on our skin too distracting and euphoric for her to deny.

Blood was the key to me finally conquering my beast.

My excitement was easily diminished as the Emperor took his throne, his stone cold Empress eyeing the court with enough malice that everyone was hanging on the edge of their seat. Hardly a breath went through the room.

"It is with great disappointment that I bring you all here today," he started, face flat and voice straining to withhold emotion. My hands wove into the skirts of my dress nervously, and I caught Chay's somber look from the corner of my eye before looking back front. "Treveos has declared war on Mantiva, on the grounds of territorial and economic dispute. Our main concern, at this time, is keeping our harbors safe from Trevean control and maintaining relations with their Prince until an agreement can be made."

The Empress swept her eyes over the crowd once more, before gripping the edge of her throne and pushing herself up to stand tall over the crowd. Her eyes blazed with power, the same frightening magic that Aela possessed the night of her coming of age. My palms began to sweat, hoping her eyes did not land on me.

"We require all Lords who hold land in any of the ports, as well as around Rose Lake, to meet with us to station warriors to protect our land, as well as to transport assets to safer holdings. Anyone who fails to do so will be unprotected by the Crown, and will face trial for treason. We will be inducting our Wartime Law as soon as the first attack is made by Treveos."

Wartimes. We were actually going to war with Treveos. I could feel the tension pounding through the room, the air getting thick with unease and fear. The laws of Wartimes would put me at risk of execution without trial if they discovered my ability. They would require Lina to go into battle. They would revoke my rights as a Lady of allied lands to the Emperor's control. They would force my father's hand to marry Leven and I so he could command a militia.

My panicked gaze flew to Chay, the one man I sought for protection. The one man I could possibly rely on to save my fate of marrying a man who would sooner die in battle than conquer my lands. I would fight, each and every way I could, against Leven's control over Fairharbor.

Chay was discussing quietly with Nolan and Aela, their heads bent together and voices hushed, even in the stone cold silence that hung over the room. My heart sank, so deep I could feel the hollow ache in my chest, as I imagined Chay being sent to war, too far away to protect anyone but himself.

Then what would I do? I can't fight. I can't control my powers. The second Leven tried to force himself on me as my husband, I would either be executed for treasonous magic or end up just as defeated as my stolen lands.

I'm going to die before this war is over, and not even the Duke can save me.

Tears threatened to fill my eyes, but I swallowed them back. Crossing my arms over my stomach, as if that would prevent me from ripping open and spilling my true lineage to the whole court, I turned towards Drayce. I opened my mouth to ask him to escort me back to my rooms, but one look at his fallen expression had me clamping my mouth shut.

It occured to me that Drayce was a Trevean shifter, his motherland was the same as the clans that had declared war on the Empire. While I doubted his abilities and history were shared with my father, as Treveos was hardly an ally in their peaceful years, it wouldn't take long before people were pointing fingers at my bodyguard for his likelihood to the clansmen.

Drayce's hard jaw was grinding, his eyebrows pinched and his hand twitching where it was resting on his hip above his sword. Did he have family and friends in Treveos that would be fighting against his comrades? Did he have a home or lands that could be destroyed by this war? What was he going to lose, standing on the opposing side of the battlelines?

Before I could stop myself, I reached out and rested my hand on his shoulder. Drayce tensed for a moment, before he released a deep breath, and his body hunched with it. His lapis eyes met mine, full of desolation and sorrow.

Suddenly, he stood, towering over me in a mass of muscles and leather. My hand fell back to my side, and I saw Drayce put on a mask of determination.

"Are you okay?" I asked, before kicking myself for my own stupidity.

Drayce just offered me a smile and a mocking bow of his head. "My lady, I will always be exceptional while standing in your presence. It is my greatest privilege to serve you by accompanying you on all of your travels."

I couldn't bite back the smile that formed on my face, and I knew Drayce needed indulgence more than he needed reassurance. So I allowed myself to beam up at him, even though it was completely at odds with the somber mood, before swooping my arm in the direction of the doors.

"Then please, lead the way to our next adventure."

We were hardly two steps before Leven interrupted, eyeing Drayce with contempt. His dashing suit looked almost like a prophecy, that likely a few weeks from now he would be wearing it under an wedding arch while I was handed to him like some spare coins to be rid of.

Leven sidestepped Drayce, not looking any longer at him before grabbing my hand and winding it into the cook of his arm and pulling me through the crowd hovering outside the doors. As we walked, my eyes scanned the halls for the Duke, hoping that he would arrive and pull Leven's slimy fingers off my hand and sweep me away.

But hoping was wistful, and Dukes have more important matters during Wartimes than assisting damsels. As Leven led us deeper into the castle, farther from the crowds of gossiping nobles, anger simmered in my bones, but the blood dried to my knee provided security against my rampant rage. Thankfully, Drayce kept pace, following in our shadows and not allowing us to be alone. It was possibly one of the first moments I was happy for it.

"Callum mentioned he would be travelling for the Ironhills today, to ready his Packs for their assigned posts. He promised by the winter solstice we would be wed, and that I would be leading Fairharbor during Wartimes."

"That's wonderful," I rebutled dryly, hearing pride in Leven's voice at the idea of serving my father and commanding an army of his people. Except he spoke as if they were solely his, as if they hadn't ever been mine. "Did my father tell you anything else of interest? Possibly anything of my sister?"

Leven huffed a bitter laugh that echoed through the corridor. "When doesn't he speak of the prodigious Lina?"

Leven was jealous. Lina would be presumptuous if she knew. "I meant in regards to the Packs. Does he expect the trials to be finished in time to send them into battle?"

I looked over at him, watching his overly groomed face for a tell. Leven wore his emotion brazenly on his face, his nostrils flaring and his eyebrows raised as if he was irritated just to be thinking of my sister.

"I overheard him discussing with the Emperor, of their current trial in the Northfalls. They are to arrive at court shortly, and will receive news that they will be advancing to the last trial in order to facilitate the need for warriors."

Lina would be coming to court? I bit my lip to prevent a smile from forming, but I felt my feet skip in excitement. Leven looked down at me, and I quickly righted my pace to match his. It didn't seem to evade his attention that my mood had improved, and he stopped us with a glint in his eyes.

"But why must we talk of such distressing matters?" Leven whispered, turning to face me fully. The way he set his gaze on me had my smile dropping from my face and alarm rolling over my skin. He encircled both my wrists with his large hands. "I am absolutely elated we will soon be married, and there will be nothing in the way of us."

Nausea roared in my gut at his adoration, and I wanted to scream, to yell, to push him away and demand what on this unholy continent possessed him to think I was consenting to anything in this relationship. My mind raced, thinking back to every moment I could have suggested to Leven I wanted his romantic advances, but I could find none. Gods, the whole reason he was amused by my company at our first dinner was because I had very little interest in suitors.

Leven's hands on my wrists trapped me, and he backed up until my back was against the cold stone of the castle wall. His eyes ran a heated trail over my body that sent bile up my throat, his breath warming my lips at his proximity.

I panicked. There wasn't a single thought going through my head as Leven bent his head to my lips, not even a forceful word or an idea to pull against his grip. The magic in me sank away, as if punishing me for subduing her. When his hair tickled my cheek, his hands clammy and restrictive on my skin, I was fully prepared to be violated by his mouth and did nothing more to stop it.

My eyes closed, but then I felt Leven pull forcefully backwards from me, his fingers ripped away. Wrists aching, I snapped my eyes open, finding Leven being held back by Drayce's bulging arms. Leven blinked, just as shocked as I was to find my bodyguard with his arm around Leven's throat.

"I don't think my Lady appreciated your advances," Drayce grunted, and his blue eyes ran down my shaking form in a quick assessment. "Would you care to explain yourself?"

Leven sputtered, his face going red in a heated mix of anger and distress. As Drayce slid his eyes away from me, his eyes hard and cold in fury, I finally was able to find my voice.

"Drayce, let him go," I asked quietly, feeling the fear wash away into bubbles of rage.

Drayce flashed his eyes to me for another second, but I held his gaze. Leven choked out a gasp as Drayce tightened his arm quickly, threateningly, before letting my suitor fall out of his grasp. The flushed face of my suitor turned on Drayce, his hand shakily reaching up to hold his throat protectively.

"You are way out of line, thinking you can put your hands on me! Callum is going to beat you so hard you won't even be able to sit on that sorry ass of yours." Leven's voice was scratchy as he turned on Drayce, making the anger boil faster in my veins.

"Don't speak to him like that!" I yelled, stepping towards Leven and curling my fingers reflexively, as if claws would appear from the tips. None did, my beast once again refusing me, but I raised my hand anyways, ready to strike. "You were the one putting your hands where they didn't belong."

Leven whirled, gaping at me with wide eyes. Drayce stayed quiet.

"Me?" Leven sputtered, raising his hand to point an accusing finger at me. "You're the one who is the talk of the whole Gods-damned castle. Everyone is talking about the poor, prophesied slut who can't keep her hands off anyone with a dick and a title!"

My face must have been shocked, because Leven took another step towards me, yelling in my face. 

"Then again your bodyguard over there has no title, but I guess he must be pretty damn good in bed for you to stick up for him. You aren't willing enough to do that for me, but maybe I just have to fuck you before you start showing some respect!"

His insults roared in my ears, my heart stopping at the pain his words caused. Leven thought I was a whore. I never even made any advances on him, never showed that I wanted anything from him, and yet I was a slut for it. As he stared at me, his face purple with fury, I felt something in me snap. Claws pierced through my fingers moments before my hand connected with Leven's face.

Leven growled as I striked, claws hitting skin, blood spraying across his face and onto the grey stone of the castle walls. Power coursed through me, encouraging me to shed more blood, pounding through my bones and willing to change my form into that of a true beast. But I held back, focused on the three slashing cuts across Leven's cheek, and put my chin high with iron will.

My inner beast conceded, and stared at the blood dripping down Leven's face in pride. Chest heaving, I glared at him, watching his anger turn to shock as he reached up to his face and realised I had shredded his skin.

"You bitch, you cut me!"

I curled my fingers into a fist, refusing to let him see the claws that had caused the damage.

Leven just scoffed in disbelief, holding his hand to his face as blood dripped down onto his ridiculous new suit. Looking away, he just sneered, "I hope you enjoy loving a man who will never love you back. You and the Duke deserve each other."

As he turned and stormed down the hall, I released a breath. He was gone. Leven was leaving. If not forever, then at least for now.

Freedom was within sight. But for how long?

Drayce's fingers brushed my hand, and my palm opened for him to inspect. Talons dug into my skin, but I hardly even felt it with the adrenaline coursing through me. Even the harsh calluses on Drayce's fingers barely felt like a tickle as he ran them over the wounds left behind.

Finally, he said, "Let me walk you back to your room. I'll help you dress these."

"I can find my way on my own."

I softly pulled my hand out of his grip, feeling the blood coating my nails and drying to my skin. Curling it in a fist, I crossed my arms and tucked my hands underneath. Heat throbbed from where my nails dug into the puckered wounds, but I ignored it, turning on my heel and leaving my bodyguard to scale the shadows.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 46.8K 31
Book 4 of The Alpha Series! Cannot be read as a standalone book! Highest rank: #1 in Werewolf genre on 06/11/2019! Amelia Reid and Ivan Romanov were...
150 0 42
What happens when a shape shifting girl gets adopted? What happens when her dead sister tries to help her? What happens when her adopted brother fall...
90.6K 13 8
!!! AVAILABLE ONLY ON AMAZON!!! • • • The Empire of Beasts is a cursed nation where beasts live. But Elynn is only aware of the latter part, and yet...
215 24 25
She was banished and broken, everything ripped from her. Sent trudging back to where she came from. The land of humble beginnings. Except...things a...