Madison Grimes

By meganj006

"Looks like you've got more to be worried about than the platoon." I furrow my eyebrows as I turn, seeing our... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57

28

4K 105 8
By meganj006

I just nod and feel the stinging sensation in my back once I feel Glenns' hand placed on my back. I jump a little from the pain and he notices.

"Are you okay?" I just nod, but Hershel looks my way and motions for me to come closer. I oblige and shake my head as I turn around.

"It's just a scratch." I see Glenn's eyes widen a bit at my statement. That probably wasn't a good choice of words. Hershel lifts the back of my shirt up and the rain clashes a little harder on the roof of the limo. "I fell when I had Daryl's bow on my back, it wasn't a walker." He nods and Hershel lowers my shirt.

"You're right, it's just a scratch. It'll probably be sore for a few days, but it will heal on its own." I nod in thanks and move to Belle. I pick her up and lay her in one of the seats.

"We're going to be here for a while." I take her soaked jacket off and reach for my bag. I mutter a few cuss words when I find it not on my back. Hershel takes the flannel from under his jacket off and passes it my way. "You don't have to do that." He shakes his head.

"Look at her." I do and see her trying to hold her arm to warm herself. I nod and place the article of clothing on her small frame. She immediately wraps herself in it and try's to warm herself. After about ten minutes, Belle and Hershel fall asleep, leaving Glenn and me awake.

"Did you ever go to prom?" He looks at me with a small smirk and squints his eyes.

"Yeah, why?"

"Did you ever rent a limo?" He stifles a laugh and nods his head slightly.

"Yeah. My senior prom. This girl, Lydia and I, we had been dating for seven months and I wanted to go big. I worked overtime so I could afford it without her having to pay a dime and I picked her up in that limo. You know what happened next?"

"What?" I ask with a smile.

"She dumped me, in the middle of our first dance. She'd been cheating on my the whole time." My smile drops and my hand flies to my mouth.

"Are you serious?" He nods with a smile.

"I was so glad though. I planned on going all the way with her that night, but it turned out she had AID's. The other guy really bit the bullet didn't he?" I could help but laugh, causing him to laugh. I shake my head and try to contain my laughter when I see Belle start moving slightly.

"Oh Glenn."

"What?" We holds good eye contact for about three seconds before we both start laughing again, causing a loud bang on the door. I shush him and look to see Belle and Hershel still asleep.

"I'll deal with them, you just need to go to sleep. We've got a big day ahead of us." He just nods as I grab my knives and swing the door open. It's a little brighter, meaning it's almost sunrise and we'll be heading out soon. I grip the knife and throw it at the first walker. It falls and that's when I notice the large number of walkers heading this way. Great, we have another highway situation on our hands. I pop my head into the limo and Glenn turns to me.

"You okay?" I nod before making sure Belle was still asleep.

"There's a lot coming, make sure you keep them in here. I'm going to warn the others."

"Be careful!" I nod and close the door before pulling my knife from the walkers head and putting it up. I go to each car and tell the person awake in each one to stay put. After I tell the last car, I stay with them. It's Carl and Lori. They're in the back seat, a sleeping Carl is sprawled out with his head in Loris lap. I stay in the front seat to save room. I turn to Lori and notice her drowsing off, but trying to stay alert.

"You can go to sleep, you've only got a few hours until sunrise." She gives me a sketchy look. This is why I can't be nice to her, she always thinks I have another motive. I mean, I should, she did sleep with my husband far more times than once. "Come on Lori. You need to sleep to keep you and your baby healthy."

"Are you sure?" I give her small smile.

"It's me. You really think I'd tell you something if I didn't mean it?" She sends me a small smile back and goes to close her eyes, but I stop her. "Wait, do you have an extra walkie? I brought mine with me and ruined it in the rain."

"It's not extra, it's mine, but there's one in the glove box. You can keep it, no one lets me alone anymore with the baby on the way." I smile at her and take her walkie from the glove box. When I look back, she already has her eyes closed. I turn the walkie up and there's nothing.

I watch as several hundred walkers pass the car. None of them seem to be too interested in us as they pass without a second look. I wish the kids wouldn't have to go through this. They had their whole lives ahead of them and now what do they have? Death? Hurt? Pain? This is no place for a child to be raised. It's takes about an hour before the walkers are gone, but once they all pass, I slip out of the car. I quietly close the door and look around to make sure it's clear. I go to the hood of the car and sit to watch the sunrise.

I really want to go get Belle, but she needs rest and I need to watch Lori and Carl. Speaking of Lori, I wonder what's she's having. If it's actually Ricks or Shane's? There's no way of knowing, but I really wish there was. Rick doesn't deserve the pain this is causing him. I know he won't admit it, but it is causing him pain and a lot of it. I jump from my thoughts as I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look over to see Rick.

"You okay?" He asks as I scoot for him to sit. I nod with a sigh.

"Yeah, I'm just thinking." He nods his head and looks off into the distance. I look around to make sure no ones near us. Us Grimes don't show certain emotion unless it's to those we trust. "How are you doing?" I talk low in case anyone is near. I see him shake his head from the corner of my eye.

"It's hard. I can't keep steering the group in the right direction when most want to go left." I nod as I watch a walker approach us from the distance.

"I have an idea, you're not going to like it."

"What's that?" The walker crashes into a car as I see him limping.

"Use your police voice and set them straight." He chuckles as I put a lot of emphasis on 'police'. I let a small smile fall to my lips.

"I've thought about it, actually." As the walkers gets closer, I notice his limp is actually him dragging his leg.

"What do you think you'd say?"

"I don't know. I've tried being nice, but it always backfires in my head." I look at him and shake my head a bit.

"You can't always be so nice. You need to show dominance. That's how Ford and I would make sure everyone listened to us." I smile at the memory and sigh a little when I start thinking of them.

"I know, but-" I cut him off.

"Who's in charge?" The walkers gets to be about thirty feet and that's when I decide to grip my hunting knife.

"Madison, we're not doing this."

"Who's in charge?"

"Mad-"

"Who?" I say in a stern voice. It gets to be about five feet away as I continue to watch it.

"Me." He says in a quiet voice.

"What?" He sends me a smile.

"Me." His voice is even and steady. I send him an approving nod.

"What are you going to do?"

"Talk to them." I nod and wrap my arms around his shoulders before jumping off the hood and sink my knife into the decaying things head. I watch as it's arms fall limp, soon followed by her body.

"That's how we handle that."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

939 62 11
All alone in an apocalyptic world with most of her family presumed to be dead, and now around a cast of strangers who are not the most welcoming folk...
124K 2.7K 70
"Brooklyn?" Glenn asks, waving his hand in my face. "What?" I ask. "You know, for being my little sister, you don't listen to me very much." He say...
27.5K 711 23
She looked at me and told me I was the only one in the world "So, sweetheart, you've come here to do... what, exactly?" "Quid pro quo." Elizabeth Gr...
320K 7.6K 117
Savannah born CJ Jefferson, 33 years of age when the dead rose and the living began to fall. Her father, a former corporal in the army, raised his 2...