Revolution (The Risen Series...

Scottish_writer द्वारा

The Risen Series Book 2 My mate and King of our kind is back on his throne, but shadows still lurk with hands... अधिक

Chapter 1 ~ Where's Waldo
Chapter 2 ~ Booze Before Shoes
Chapter 3 ~ Death Sentence
Chapter 4 ~ Dirty Work
Chapter 5 ~ Silly Fears
Chapter 6 ~ Unleashed
Chapter 7 ~ A Summer Holiday
Chapter 8 ~ Swordplay
Chapter 9 ~ Heads Will Roll
Chapter 10 ~ The Mile High Club
Chapter 11 ~ When in Rome
Chapter 13 ~ When It Rains
Chapter 14 ~Social Media Famous
Chapter 15 ~ Fun Torture Time
Chapter 16 ~ I Fought The Law
Chapter 17 ~ On The Wagon
Chapter 18 ~ By Candlelight
Chapter 19 ~ Surprises
Chapter 20 ~ A bit of B&E
Chapter 21 ~ Sabotage
Chapter 22 ~ Bad Luck
Chapter 23 ~ Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
Chapter 24 ~ A Dream of a Dream
Chapter 25 ~ Wake Me When It's Over
Chapter 26 ~ Crazy Ex Girlfriend
Chapter 27 ~ The Blame Game

Chapter 12 ~ Old Friends

689 71 2
Scottish_writer द्वारा

Chapter 12: Old Friends
~

"You've got to be shitting me," I muttered, staring up at the ruins of the Colosseum. But the blond vampire kept going, slipping through the gate with its lock dangling off. So now we could add breaking and entering to our list of broken human laws.

Atanas stopped too, looking as if he'd seen a ghost. He'd been a vampire when this place was built, I had no doubt it brought back memories. This had to be some sort of cruel joke on Titus' part.

I made no move to follow until Atanas took the lead. The blond vampire waited for us impatiently, his head flicking from the large archway entrance to where we hesitated.

"Always one for theatrics," Atanas muttered with a shake of his head. He placed his hand on my back, urging me to follow him inside.

There was nothing to light our way through one of the tunnels, but then of course there wasn't. Lights would alert the city that we were here and humans didn't take kindly to trespassers. Bricks scraped at my sleeves and my fingers gripped the back of Atanas' jacket, the only sign of my fear. The dark made the walls feel like they were closing in around me and my breathing became laboured.

Eventually, after a few twists and turns, we were lead out into the open. We stood on what was left of the arena, the star studded sky above us. I could hear the beat of slow hearts coming from the ruins beneath our feet. I frowned, peering off the edge of the arena to see a maze of what looked like tunnels and collapsing columns.

"The Hypogeum," Atanas murmured from next to me. "It's where the gladiators, animals and the like were kept before being brought up to the arena."

That made my stomach twist. It must have been dark and dirty down there with no sign of windows or doors I could see. That reminded me too much of Airell's dungeon; I was sure it had seen as much blood and heard enough screams. A soft wind blew, an eerie groaning sound echoing around us and I shuddered. The scent of vampires was on the breeze.

A slow clap from above had me turning around. The vampire I guessed to be Titus stood in what was left of the crumbling stands, looking down at us. He was dressed in an odd blue tunic and he looked every bit the Roman noble of the old days. I was almost surprised he didn't wear a crown of golden laurals on his head.

Shadows moved around us, Titus' vampires circling like wolves. I forced myself to breathe slowly and stand tall, confident. Atanas barely glanced at them, either too focussed on his reunion with Titus or knowing he could take them all out with ease. From what I could sense, a few had an aura of one close to becoming an ancient, but Atanas was still the most powerful here. Most of them had to be closer to my age and younger. I could overpower them.

When my hand slid to my dagger, there was a shift in the air. Atanas glanced at me, subtly shaking his head, and I forced myself to release the hilt.

My attention flicked back up when Titus raised his arms as if preparing to address the whole arena and the air seemed to stilled. The vampires around us were watching their master now. I relaxed only slightly, keeping myself on the balls of my feet.

"Do you remember, Atanas?" Titus called out, bracing himself on the edge of the reconstructed balcony. "The roar of the crowd, the clash of weapons, the audience vying for blood? We watched many men and women die here."

"We watched two of our friends burn here," Atanas growled back, sweeping his arm around where we stood.

The smirk slipped from Titus' face only slightly and I imagined I could see a small flash of pain contort his expression. His voice came out less jovial now. "Yes. That couldn't have been avoided. You know that as well as I."

Atanas said nothing in return. His jaw was clenched and I knew he hated to be forced to look up. He never looked up at anyone. Whoever had perished here had meant a lot to Atanas. I was surprised he'd never mentioned the loss of his friends here. Perhaps they were the ghosts he was seeing when he realised where we were being lead.

"You summoned us for a reason. Why bring up the past?" I asked, loud enough that my voice bounced off the walls.

Titus' gaze flicked from Atanas to me and his head tipped to the side. He seemed to consider me a moment before he whipped around and disappeared through the archways behind him. I faltered. Was he leaving?

My skittish nature rose up again, my eyes darting to the shadows. A glint of metal occasionally broke through the dark. The sound of soft steps and Titus appeared on the arena with us. I didn't know if I preferred being able to see him better, to having a safe distance between us when he stood on the balcony.

Atanas watched Titus approach with careful midnight eyes. He stopped a few feet away and I got a good look at him. Light brown hair curled around his features, grey eyes bright and calculating.

"I heard on the wind that you'd taken a mate, Atanas. I was glad to hear you'd taken back your crown at last as well. Or at least, you're trying to. Airell always was a snake of a creature," he drawled.

He was waiting for us to take the bait, to see how we'd react, but both of us stayed still. I wouldn't move until Atanas told me to. Not until we knew whether he was friend of foe.

"And yet you never came when summoned by me, Titus. Which makes me think you have chosen the side of the snake," Atanas replied, disdain in his eyes. "Did he promise you could keep your territory?"

Titus snorted. "You think I need Airell to stay in power? I'm more than happy with what I have here, I don't need someone like him. We are one of the oldest nations in the world. Once the seat of power. My followers are all loyal to me, not any king."

"I stand here now as King. You're either with me or against me. One option will allow you to keep you territory. The other way ends in your execution. A warning for all those that don't pledge loyalty to me!" Atanas growled, stalking his way forward.

To his credit, Titus only took one fearful step back as the power of an ancient crackled in the air. I hoped every vampire here watched as their master backed down to my mate. Regaining his senses, Titus straightened up. Atanas looked as if he was daring Titus to make a move against him as flexed his hand.

"I am Caesar here!" Titus declared furiously, his own power seeping into the air.

"Then why have done nothing about the killings going on around you?" I snapped, stepping up to my mate's side.

Titus faltered, shrugging a shoulder. I could see the cogs turning behind his eyes, fighting for some excuse. The blond vampire reappeared at the doorway, doing his best to look menacing but I ignored his presence.

"Sometimes a few killings slip through the cracks. Killing is in our nature. I have vampires patrolling the streets just as you have to try and catch who it is. Padraig would have told you as much had you thought I ask him before coming here with your accusations." Titus sighed. He looked almost bored now, all aggression gone. "I haven't sided with Airell. I don't hold human life in high standing but I don't agree with his plans for them. Like I said, I'm content with what I have here."

I watched Atanas assess the man before him. Part of me still expected he'd attack so when his cold expression broke out into a grin, I wondered if I was imagining things. Titus grinned too, slapping Atanas' shoulders before they embraced each other.

From the way Atanas had spoken about Titus at the hotel, this was the last thing I expected. Even the blond at the door looked confused as he watched his master.

Atanas held his hand out for me, drawing me reluctantly into his side. "This is my Queen, my mate, Shylah."

Titus placed a hand over his heart as bowed his head. I managed a small, wary smile back. My eyes wandered quickly over his form, searching for any sign he carried a weapon. I couldn't see any but that didn't mean there were none to be found and I doubted he'd take kindly to me frisking him.

"It's a pleasure to finally set eyes on you," he greeted, grey eyes studying me.

Atanas had been right about one thing at least, word had indeed gotten out about his new mate. I wondered how much Titus knew about me. What angle was he playing at right now? Hell, what angle was Atanas playing at? Our plans had been thrown right out the window.

"There's much we must discuss, old friend. Perhaps in a more private place. . ." Atanas hinted, glancing around at the vampires who had finally stepped out of the shadows.

I shifted to face the ones on my right and Titus' gaze followed mine. He held up a hand to his followers. "Peace, these are friends. Our guests! Let us return home and have some wine." 

The blond vampire that had lead us here remained where he stood while those around him slunk off. I felt better now there was only us left. If anything happened now, there was no doubt we would win. Titus spun around, his sandles kicking up the dust on the arena. Theatrical indeed.  Taking that as a sign to follow him, we were lead back through the archway. My mate looked back at the spot we'd stood, lost in memories I didn't think I was brave enough to ask about.

The lingering smell of smoke carrying the too familiar scent of burnt flesh stung my nose. I inhaled sharply again, eyes wide but the smell was gone on the breeze. Goosebumps prickled my skin and when my mate stiffly turned to follow Titus again, I wondered if the smell was just a memory too.

The street we stepped out on wasn't the one we'd gone through to get here. I frowned, looking up at the sky to try and catch my bearings. Titus walked confidently through the dark roads toward a large villa that's windows were the only ones still lit up. I didn't need to see inside to know its walls were filled with yet more vampires.

Were we really going to willingly walk right into the lion's den?

Glancing at my mate for guidance, I followed him inside when he nodded. Another subtle movement. He didn't want his old friend to know I was nervous enough to need encouragement. Outwardly, I portrayed what I knew I had to; the image of a sure warrior, a queen.

My eyes scanned the interior of the villa. Pealing paintings of Roman baths and scantily glad women decorated the wall alongside crumbling mosaics. Apart from that, everything else was in good order. It seemed these priceless bits of history were the only thing left to fall apart.

I took note of every door and window should Atanas and I need to make a quick escape. It was impossible to tell how many vampires were inside but there seemed to be so many doors and hallways that it rivalled even the number we had back home.

Titus held a door at the far side of the hall open for us. No windows. Nerves flared to life and I felt my back prickle with awareness of someone at my back.

"You need not fear me, young queen. I'm not fool enough to attempt to attack your mate. It would be a fight I would not win," Titus comforted. There was a teasing lilt to his tone but also a weight of resignation.

I gave him a small smile for his efforts but stiffened when in the light of the room we'd entered, he could see the scars my jacket couldn't hide. They were littered across my chest and neck, faint glimmers of silver over my skin. His smile slipped from his face, eyes trailing over me with a frown now.

"Obviously you haven't been as well informed of the goings on outside your territory if the sight of her shocks you. You might know her name but you've no idea who she is do you?" Atanas asked, lounging back on one of the couches, looking like a smug cat.

I didn't like the way he spoke about me. If I was a wolf, I was sure my hackles would have risen but I couldn't tell him to shut up in front of a possible enemy. Titus looked between us both, perhaps sensing the growing tension as he shook his head.

"I don't know her. Should I?" His gaze flicked back to me with a new, burning curiosity.

Clutching my jacket together, I hid the scars from his view and slunk carefully around Titus to sit beside Atanas. His arm slid around my waist, tucking me protectively, if slightly possessively, into his side. Titus didn't miss a thing and kept his distance, sitting across the low table from us. There was already glasses of wine waiting and I reached over to grab one. Tonight was definitely a night for alcohol.

I sniffed the contents without really noticing, searching for any scent that didn't belong, that proved it had been tampered with. All I could smell was fruit and the slight burn of alcohol. Even after Titus and Atanas embraced and talked like old friends, they each watched the other with heavy looks of distrust.

"It was good to see Padraig again. When I heard he was here, I thought he was looking to. . .procure something." Titus broke the quiet, sipping his wine.

Atanas had a glass in his hand but made no move to take a drink. "He is, in a way. I want the vampire here taken in for questioning. He'll lead us to Airell. When we know where he is, Kincaid will join us, then we need only summon those who've pledged loyalty."

I understood the hidden message in his words. He was letting Titus know we practically had an army at our back.

"Kincaid is with you? Damn him. He still hasn't forgiven me for that incident with the brothel!" he boomed, ignoring everything else that had been said. Still, his words had me snorting in amusement. It was nice to know that even when Kincaid had been around Titus, he'd still had a stick up his ass when it came to sex.

Atanas simply stared at the man. He didn't need to say anything at all to make the Roman vampire squirm on the spot. The amusement left his eyes, his expression becoming more serious. "I don't want anything to do with this, Atanas. The eyes of the whole world are on my city right now. There's already whispers about cults and otherworldly goings on. I can't attract attention. It's made hunting for us difficult already. Surely you can respect my wish to be neutral?"

Still my mate said nothing. Titus sighed, muttering under his breath. I took another sip of the fruity wine, watching everything carefully. I kept an ear out for the slightest of movements around us, the creak of floorboards and the sound of muffled voices. I still didn't feel like we were safe here.

"What do you plan to do?" Titus finally grit out.

Atanas smirked and I had to hand him to it, his tactic had worked well. His silence was as powerful as his words.  Atanas' arm slid from around my waist and he leant forward on his knees. "I'm going to hunt Airell down like the dog he is, or I'm going to find Leyla before he does and then hunt him down."

"Leyla?" Titus' voice hitched before his expression darkened. "You'd be wrong to bring that darkness back into the world again. I won't hear of it."

Atanas bristled, his eyes darkening and even I sucked in a fearful breath. Power leaked out of him like oily dark tendrils and I pulled down my sleeves to hide the start of shimmering silver light.

"You're sitting in the presence of one of her descendants," Atanas murmured.

Grey eyes flicked to me. The harshness softened just a little as he took me in, his head cocking to the side. He inhaled deeply and then chuckled.

"I don't know how I didn't notice before. She smells like Leyla did, that spice of magic on her skin. You always did have a type. . ."

"Enough!" Atanas said sharply before I could snap some angry words of my own. "You know it wasn't love between Leyla and I. Don't try and get a rise out of her. She'd have that blade at your throat in seconds."

It was my turn to smirk this time and Titus glanced down at the hilt of the dagger my fingers brushed over. His wary look turned into one of amusement.

"She's a feisty one, I'll give her that," he admitted. "Like a kitten. Does she scratch?"

My hand clenched the hilt now and my whole body stiffened. The reaction only had Titus chuckling again. He nodded his head towards where my mate silently seethed. "We used to take men and women together all the time."

At first, I looked at Atanas in shock before my gaze flicked back to Titus in disbelief. My mate didn't deny it. I squirmed, wishing my hair was longer so I could hide behind it. I didn't like the hungry way with which Titus looked at me now but I couldn't let him know that. I put my shields in place, straightening my spine as I looked Titus slowly up and down with  disinterest.

"You couldn't handle me," I sniffed, letting him have a glimpse of my fangs.

Atanas smirked at me and once more I was pulled against him. Laughing boisterously, Titus finished his wine without another word. He didn't seem offended, if anything he was more intrigued. The topic of Leyla was forgotten and he seemed in a more hospitable mood again. But he sensed Atanas' thinning patience, I could see that.

I slid my hand up his arm and felt him relax at my touch.

"Anything you need to help you catch the vampire terrorising my street, you can have. My men are your men," Titus relinquished, bowing his head.

"And after we catch him? What about Airell?" Atanas inquired.

Titus drummed his fingers over the arm of the couch, irritation making him restless. "We shall see what the vampire has to say. What he reveals may yet change my mind."

I didn't believe him. Nothing would change his mind. He'd grown too comfy here but he had as much to lose as the rest of us and I'd find a way to show him that.

Standing up, I looked to Atanas. "We should head back to the hotel now, we won't beat the sun if we stay any longer."

Atanas nodded and stood too, brushing imaginary lint from his jacket. "We expect to be joined by your trackers tomorrow night, Titus. You won't like what happens if you don't comply," he warned, a growl rumbling from his chest.

Titus gave us a smile that was too strained to be genuine. He bowed his head and got up to open the door for us. "They'll be there."

***

"You don't trust him," I stated as Atanas climbed into bed beside me. His arm slid around my waist, pulling me tight against his chest.

"I no longer know Titus. It has been many centuries since our paths have crossed. Time changes people. But for now we need his resources to help catch this vampire," he answered, ever the diplomat.

My fingers traced patterns across his bare chest and I sighed gently. "So we play at allies?"

"We play at allies."

His words were shirt and clipped, making me frown as I looked up at him. He was staring at the roof lost in thought, his brow furrowed.

I tried to imagine him in Roman clothes instead of the suits, jeans and leather jackets he preferred now, he and Titus amongst the roaring crowds at the Colosseum. Sharing men and women. I shifted, unable to help but picture that too.

"What's on your mind?" Atanas asked gently, tipping my chin up to meet his eyes.

I chewed my lip, feeling a flush heat my skin before daring to ask, "Is it true what he said?"

"A lot was said tonight, Libertas Mea." He raised an eyebrow and I wished I hadn't so much as given it a second thought. "What is it you're asking about?"

"About you sharing. . .bedmates," I stumbled, the word feeling strange on my tongue. Atanas chuckled at my innocence, a glint in his dark blue eyes as he considered me.

"It's true. Why? Does the idea appeal to you?" he inquired huskily, only to laugh more at my aghast expression. "Don't worry, my Queen. I've no intention of letting anyone but me touch you like that. Unless one day you crave otherwise, then I'm sure we could find willing participants to join our bedroom activities."

At a loss for words, I could only stutter. My mate smirked at me, his hand squeezing my ass to draw me even closer. I rested my head on his chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart. With the sunlight streaming through the crack in the curtains, it was too late for his touches to be any more than teasing.

We had a big night ahead of us, we needed to rest. With Titus' warriors, I was sure we would capture the vampire before he could harm someone else. That, or I'd take Titus as compensation. He knew more than he had told us, I felt that in my gut.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

512 3 25
Evony Longden was a princess, but not quite a normal one. She was second in line for the throne, trained for battle, and the problem daughter. After...
361K 18.5K 85
Book 1 - His Mate Book 2 - His Mate: The Demon King An unexpected union. Hatred turned to love. Mysteries arose. History explained. Unexpected figh...
66.8K 6K 67
Book 2 #19 in Fantasy #8 in action-packed #27 in dark magic #28 in fantasy-adventure Everything Celestia Armedes has ever come to know is crumbling t...
16.4K 3.8K 31
Your past will never truly be forgotten, I realize this now. Denying it will only make things worse, accepting it will allow you to move on. But do I...