Hunter: Gods & Monsters

By ellarose12

Vampires have Slayers. Werewolves have Trackers. Everything else has a Hunter. ____ A lot can happen... More

31st March 2014
Chapter 1
1st April 2014
Chapter 2
1st April 2014
Chapter 3
4 April 2014
Chapter 4
5 April 2014
Chapter 5
7th April 2014
Chapter 6
8th April 2014
Chapter 7
20th April 2014
Chapter 8
26th April 2014
Chapter 9
11th May 2014
Chapter 10
13th May 2014
Chapter 11
13th May 2014
Chapter 12
16th May 2014
Chapter 13
17th May 2014
Chapter 14
31st May 2014
Chapter 15
2nd June 2014
Chapter 16
2nd June 2014
Chapter 17
3rd June 2014
Chapter 18
10th June 2014
12th June 2014
Chapter 20
20th June 2014
Chapter 21
23rd June 2014
Chapter 22
30th June 2014
Chapter 23
2nd July 2014
Chapter 24
3rd July 2014
Chapter 25
3rd July 2014
Chapter 26
4th July 2014
Chapter 27
A Long, Long Time Ago. . .
Chapter 28
4th June 2012
Chapter 29
6th July 2014
Chapter 30
6th July 2014
Chapter 31
July 2014
Chapter 32
7th July 2014
Chapter 33
8th July 2014
Chapter 34
12th July 2014
Chapter 35
19th July 2014
Chapter 36
22nd July 2014
Chapter 37
23 July 2014
Chapter 38
9th August 2014
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
A long, long time ago...

Chapter 19

730 84 25
By ellarose12

The smash of glass from my cup hitting the floor made me jump, yet it was what I needed to snap me out of the shock of seeing Cain standing there. The second I stood I felt the liquid dampen my socks and a sharp sting in my heel.

"Oh for fucks sake!" I cursed, sword appearing in my hand as I had to balance on one foot. "Of all the times-"

"Not quite the reaction I thought I'd get, but it's close enough." Cain stepped closer, nearing the end of the bed.

"That wasn't about you," I notice him studying Zane, and held up a finger to give me a second, daring to rest my sword on the bed while I managed to sit back down and get the glass wedge out of my foot. "Damn it."

If he had planned to attack, it would have the perfect moment. Recently he proved that he didn't like to play fair, yet despite everything, I took my chance. There were no, going to try and kill you again vibes coming from him though there wasn't much warning last time either. With barely a second of thought, I cleaned up the mess and put the piece of glass from my foot on a tissue beside me on the table. This time when I stood, my feet were safe.

"What happened?" Cain asked softly, looking at the clipboard as if he knew what all those graphs and things actually meant.

"I got glass in my foot. And now you have two seconds to get out before I blast you so fucking far into space, they'll mistake you for a satelite."

His head tilted slightly as if he was contemplating my threat, before ever so slightly rolling his eyes. "With Zane. What happened to him?"

"I'm not telling you that. You do not have the right to even be here, let alone ask about him as if you care." We stood facing each other from opposite sides of the bed. "Why are you even here? Just worked out I decided to not listen to your orders oh mighty Lord of the Assholes?"

"Honestly, yes. I happened to cross paths with a mutual acquaintance who was attempting to open some otherwise closed portals. It didn't take much to get him talking, and he had a lot to say. Naturally, I came to see what you are up to."

"What did you expect? I'd be plotting your demise and you'd catch me in the act?"

"Maybe." He shrugged. "I've seen you seek revenge for less."

"Sorry to disappoint, though I'd be happy to take this outside?" I really hoped he didn't, not now.

I'd need to find a way to get some caffeine injected straight into my veins first of all as sitting around in this tiny room was mentally, emotionally and physically exhausting. Then again, I could feel my powers reacting, the sword in my hand tingles and there was a lot of pent up frustration I never got to take out on Hephaestus. Maybe a fight was what I needed.

Cain tensed, eyeing me cautiously before shaking his head and taking a deep breath.

"Not necessary, though I'm not exactly sure what I planned on doing when I found you. I hadn't expected this. I like Zane. He's a friend, one of the few I trusted in this world." For a second my guard wavered, yet his implication at the word trust made me tense. "If it even matters now, my plan worked. There are enough rumours in my world now, that I-"

He hesitated.

"Killed me?" I finished for him.

"Yes." He frowned.

I hated that he seemed more himself. Like the Cain I had known and not the idiot who had replaced him. He looked lost, confused even as he folded his arms across his chest and looked around the room as if he was expecting it to close in around him.

"I'm glad to hear that, because that's exactly what I wanted to have happen. You are welcome.  So welcome. Anything else you want from me or that I can do for you?" I went overboard on the sarcasm, almost tempted to throw in my part in keeping those rumours going with the assistance of my blue ally only I stopped as  I realised something else. "Actually, I've given enough. How about you do something for me, because technically, this is your fault."

If he looked flat before, now he looked as though I just told him his puppy died and not all dogs go to heaven. Cain opened his mouth, closed it and looked at Zane in such a way I wanted to hug him. Worse than that, I wanted to tell him it actually wasn't his fault but I didn't have that ability because technically it was true.

"Did you not return in time to save him?" He finally asked.

"No, don't flatter yourself. I've been back for a while, did you actually think I'd stay there and do as you said?"

Cains eyes narrowed, clearly unimpressed with that answer. "Then how is it my fault?"

"He was in the wrong place at the wrong time, by events brought upon by you and your twisted girlfriends minions out to take me and my people down. Keep sending them Cain, I will send each one back to you in a bodybag." I held up my sword, meeting his gaze dead on. "You get to live today for one reason only. Save him. Bring him back like you did me. You said he's your friend so do it."

He actually looked shocked. "What are you talking about? I didn't-"

"Save it. The fire guy turned up to finish what was started a couple of months ago and Zane's team got caught in the crossfire. But whatever, he's gone now and I don't plan on saying the same about Zane.  Fix him. Make it a sign of peace or a good will treaty or whatever the fuck you want. Just heal him!"

My voice breaks and I'm not sure what I can do now to stop myself from crying again. Somehow Cain has become my last hope in saving Zane. All these machines could only do much and deep down, I wasn't convinced they would be enough. I heard the doctors talking to my parents, the odds of him not waking up were high. Last night I even heard them talking about turning the machines off.

Zane didn't deserve this.

He was supposed to live for a long time yet. I wanted to annoy him when he got old. Push him around too fast in a wheelchair. He was supposed to teach Olivia about our world with me, while she'd give him more attitude than I ever did and we'd sit back and laugh about it later. I had plans and saying goodbye to him now wasn't one of them.

The sword leaves my hand and I go to stand beside Cain. He takes a step back, and looking at him now he looks as sad as I feel.

"Please save him," I whisper. "I will do anything, parade me down main street and make it official. A life for a life. I don't care. This is my white flag, I give up. Send me back in time again, I won't leave. Whatever it takes. Just, please do this. Please!"

Forever seemed to pass.

"Do you ever have any sense of self preservation?" He groaned, rubbing his face as he did so. "How can you say that, after everything?"

"You are our last hope. I'll do whatever it takes."

"I'm not someone you can put that kind of faith in Elise. I'm not the good guy."

"I'm not asking you to be. I've offered you more than a fair trade." I hold my hand out. "Deal?"

"No." He pushes past me, mumbling to himself as he does before pacing at the end of the room.

I let him go, standing by Zane, silently praying that it would all be okay. If I had to get onto my hands and knees and beg, I would do it. While I was happy to blame Cain, I blamed myself too. It didn't matter if I stayed away, kept close, didn't make a scene or killed them all; the ones around me were constantly being affected by whatever I did or didn't do. I was rock being thrown into the pond and the ripples seemed to find everyone I cared about.

"I can't do it. It's all an act, a trick isn't it? I know my siblings are back in this realm. Is that the plan? Get me to do this, wait for me to be at my weakest and then attack?" Cain snapped, suddenly charging back over. "This has Artemis all over it! What did you give him, a sleeping potion?"

Great, crazy Cain was back.

Though, I could kind of see his point.

"First of all, how or why would anyone expect you to be here right now for this to be worth it and secondly, as if I'd actually plan something out like that."

"I didn't give you the credit for it did I?" He growled.

Touche, but I wasn't going to get into an argument now, especially over that.

"Take my power then." I answered him simply.

"What?"

"You gave me these powers, take them back. Use them to heal him. Simple." I shrug.

"Elise I won't just-"

"It'll solve all your problems. I'll just be human again. I mean, what threat can I be then? Not only that, pretty sure it's going to screw me up for a while, so if you did want to send any other visitors over, they can do all your dirty work for you since I wouldn't be able to fight back." I was making it as easy as possible for him. "Plus Zane lives. We all win."

It may have been a machine, but I swear I could literally hear his mind processing every word I just said.

"No more will come. I promise you that." He said it so sincerely, I almost believed him. This time he held his hand out. "I'll try, but I will need your help."

His grip was firm and warm as my hand settled against his. Looking up at him, I could see the storm in his mind. If it was possible his eyes looked nearly black as his pupils had dilated and with a subtle pull, I was forced to step closer. His breathing was short and fast, and where we touched his gaze dropped to stare.

"This will hurt. I can't change that. I'm not going to do it all myself, and use your energy too. Your immortal, you'll survive. There's two of us, so it won't be as bad as it was when I brought you back." Cain mumbled as his fingers linked through mine and I gently squeezed his hand with mine. "You will need time to recover."

"You're actually going to do it?" He nods, and I have no idea what I'm about to actually agree to.

"It's not going to be easy, think about what I'm saying. You will be weak. You won't have your powers. I don't know how long it will take you to recover either." His forehead was creased with worry and as our eyes met, I could feel his hesitation. "You don't have Alfie around at the moment, I don't even know if you can trust my siblings. Should anything else happen, you will be left unprotected."

"Careful, you almost sound like you care."

"I don't," He stood straighter and the hold on my hand weakened. "This isn't for you, it's for him out of respect for the past."

I didn't say anything, I didn't really get a chance to as Cain reached for Zane's arm and his hand started to glow yellow. All of Zane began to do the same and I felt the second he grabbed onto my magic. He didn't say how much it would hurt; though if he had it wouldn't have stopped me. It was similar to being bitten by a vampire or earlier tonight when I stepped on glass only a million times worse. It was sharp and intense, unrelenting as it just grew and burned. The concentration on Cains face told me it was the same for him and I held onto his hand to the point I was positive I was crushing it; if he didn't break mine first.

"Elise, wake up!" Cain snaps his fingers in front of my face and it takes me a second to focus. "Are you alright?"

My eyes ache, I just want to sleep and then I remember everything. I'm sitting against the wall on the floor and Cain helps me stand, yet his grip is weak on my arms and we both stumble with the effort of moving.

"Zane?" He was exactly the same as he had been. "Did it work?"

It felt like it should have. Every joint and muscle aches, my head is light and airy while I feel myself swaying as I have to lean against the rail on the bed for support. Cain doesn't seem as bad, standing tense beside me. If he's tired, he's hiding it well and closing my eyes I can still feel the tiniest spark of my power within. It's like trying to light a match, sparks happen, yet it doesn't come to life. He didn't take my powers.

"I think so?" It wasn't the answer I had hoped for.

"You think? But I woke up straight away, didn't I?" My memory was a little hazy; everything was right now. "Why isn't he awake?"

Cain took a big breath, turning me around so I had to sit on the end of the bed. It was so soft and comfortable, the urge to just lay down saw me sway towards Zane. Cain stopped me, forcing me to look at him instead.

"You hadn't been gone for as long as he has, and you chose to come back. If he doesn't want to, nothing I just did will matter." His words slowly sunk in, waking me up. "I'm sorry, I tried."

"That's not true. You made me come back. I was right there, at the door to whatever is next and, and," I tried to remember. Alistair. Reece. "I felt the magic pulling me back."

"And you let it, if he is too far gone or not wanting to return, no one can change that." Cain stops me as I fall forward, my head too heavy for my shoulders. "Maybe don't threaten to kick his ass again?"

He was trying to make a joke.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to cry or laugh until crying won. My forehead was resting on his chest and I saw my tears dropping onto my pants in drips. One of his hands stroked my back, the other rested on my shoulder helping me stay upright and not collapsing completely. Eventually I looked up, the room spinning as I tried to focus on Cain.

"What did I ever do to make you hate me so much? After everything we went through, why are you doing this?" He didn't answer and I kept rambling. "You can't just, be here. Trying to help. Acting like this after what you did."

I sniffed loudly, taking a deep breath as I fought to get some control back and stop crying.

"You did nothing." Cain answered, cupping my face in his hands as he wiped the tears from my cheeks.

It was cliche and stupid. The second he even made a move to do what I think he was, the only thing he was recieved was my fist into his jaw. He toppled sidewards, grunting in shock and pain as his hand covered the place I hit.

"Don't. Don't you even think about it!" I stood, ignoring the way my legs protested and threatened to collapse. "You don't get to mess with my head!"

He opened his mouth a few times while rubbing the spot a hit; a sign I hadn't actually broken anything.

"You can not-" Cain started.

"I can!" I start, not even sure where he was going to go and not wanting to yet I pause, we both do as the heart monitor starts to beep rapidly and all the lights across the monitors start to do things. Zane trembles like he's on the verge of having a fit. "What's happening?"

"I'm not a doctor." He points out.

It's the doctor who is suddenly joining our little party of three, pushing past me with a mumbled apology as Cain stops me from falling on my face. A nurse gently guides the pair of us out into the corridor, while another two and a new doctor rush in. The light in the corridor is flashing with an alarm sounding from the nursing station down the hall. A few curious faces peek out of there and quickly look away as I glare at them.

"Take a seat, did you need anything? Some water?" The nurse asks gently, a hand on each of our arms as I realise Cain has his hand around my waist and is the only reason I am standing.

"We're fine." Cain answers and she slips into the room, closing the door behind her. "Elise-"

"Go. You shouldn't even be here."

"Elise, let me-"

"No."

I shrug myself free from his hold and look up in time to see Kara and Deimos stopping by the door into the ICU. Kara's mouth drops, knowing exactly who is standing by me, before the pair of them were suddenly in front of us. Friend or foe, I was about to find out because I had no chance of standing up to this Power right now, or Cain. A flicker of doubt crossed my mind as a new fear that I had been the one to be set up took hold. It didn't last as Deimos glared at Cain, his hands up and those smokey tendrils began to reach out towards him - not me. Worst of all, Cain braced himself for it as the pair faced off against one another, his body angled defensively in front of me as Kara unsheathed the dagger at her waist.

None of this would end well.

Somehow I managed to stand between them, despite Cains grunty growl of protest and Deimos and Kara's surprise. Raising my hands in submission, I may as well as been facing off against a tiger as Cain disappeared again. Trying to save Zane had weakened him too, I could feel it. If not for the fact that he tried to help, I would otherwise contemplate leaving him to their mercy. Maybe.

"Please, just calm down." I urged.

He wasn't listening, and as Cain looked between the three of us I saw the exact moment the darkness creeped back into his eyes, his jaw clenched and I was back to being enemy number one.The lights in the corridor began to flicker before he and Deimos stared at each other as the tension in the air became electric. Kara looked around us cautiously, as the nosey nurses seemed to have vanished.

"Not a set up? You would actually stoop as low as to align yourself with that?" He yelled, motioning towards Deimos. "Well done. You actually had me fooled."

"Listen to me!" I begged. "This isn't what you think."

"Oh I think it is. Nice try. Next time I will be better prepared." He snarled, before he was gone.

In other words, next time I won't be at half strength and be able to take you all on.

"Fuck!" I groaned, closing my eyes for a second too long. "I need to sit."

I half stumbled, half fell with the help of Kara into the chair by Zane's window. The curtains had been closed, and looking up at the pair of them, I knew I was in trouble.

"What did he do?" Deimos demanded, waving a hand over me. "Your power, it's less."

"Nothing I didn't ask him to." I assured him, holding my head. "This can't get out. You both are sworn to secrecy."

"What?" Kara snapped. "Elise, you can't-"

"I can. Please, just don't tell anyone he was here."

"Why are you protecting him?" She continued, not giving up while my head felt like it might explode.

I couldn't answer her.

"Elise?" Doctor Michaels appeared beside me, while the other doctor and some of the nurses that had rushed in left.

My heart sunk as another appeared, wheeling out some of the machines that had been keeping me company these last few days. It never occured to me that whatever we did could make things worse, or that maybe it wasn't as Cain had said and he'd actually done nothing to help Zane.

"I'm not sure which gods you have been praying too, but this is nothing short of a miracle." The doctor continued while I was positive I was going to either throw up or faint.

"What do you mean?" Kara asked, since I couldn't and the doctor stepped back, motioning for us to go into the room.

They all stood behind me as I held the wall and then the doorframe, unable to look inside. Everything was numb, the doctors voice was muffled like he was speaking underwater and looking inside the room, I wasn't sure what I was seeing. I had to have fallen asleep.

Zane was being fussed over by one of the remaining nurses. She was carefully disconnecting one of the few machines left, chatting happily to him while he looked as tired as I felt. His skin was almost grey, his eyes bloodshot and when he saw me, the smile he gave me had me crying all over again. I climbed onto the bed before the nurse could stop me, throwing my arms around him as he groaned and tensed beneath me.

"Shit. Sorry. Are you okay? Well, I know you're not, but I'm sorry." I moved back, wiping my eyes as he held his stomach.

"It's okay." His voice was like gravel. "Hey Sunshine."

"You came back." I whisper, moving to hug him again with much more care.

"Of course. I'm not done with this life just yet." He coughed, and I soon held a cup with a straw, helping him to get a drink.

"I didn't- you were so cold and the blood." I stammered. "We tried, and. You're here."

I hugged him again before rolling against his side so I wasn't on any tubes or wires and not putting any pressure near his cut. The nursing team was soon finished and with Kara and Deimos gone to spread the news, it was finally just us.

"Kid, what did you do?" Zane said sometime later.

I yawned, unsure if I'd slept or not and looked up at him. "What do you mean?"

"I was dead. I know I was. I could hear you though, talking to me. I think. It's a little foggy. I know you were with Cain and now you're not, you. You feel different. Please tell me you didn't give up your powers or something crazy like that."

"I got him to bring you back like he did for me too." I admit. "I let him use my energy or something. I should get my powers back. I can still feel them, somewhere inside. I don't really care, because it worked. You're here."

"At what cost though?" Zane frowned. "I like the guy, don't get me wrong but you said yourself how much he'd changed. I doubt you could win a fight with a feather right now. I'm worried about you."

"Don't be. I've been through worse, just let me sleep now. Please?" I whine, snuggling into his shoulder as he hugs me.

"Good thing I'm here to save the day then," he chuckled. "Thanks Sunshine."

"No worries Old Man." I looked back up at him, "Oh and I read your diary."

"I'm not responsible for anything that may or may not have been written in there when I thought I was going to die."

"You love me."

"Like a pain in my ass, Kid." He pushed back against the pillows and settled in, a deep, contented sigh leaving him as he did while I closed my eyes.

I wasn't quite asleep when he shifted again, yet I felt the softest touch as he kissed the top of my head before he sat back. It was barely a whisper when he spoke again and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to hear.

"I do love you, Sunshine. Thank you."

____________

How could I kill Zane off? I mean, it's Zane ❤️

Also, since coming back - Apollo has been a little MIA hey? 😏

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18 3 4
In a declining, pre-apocalyptic city where vampire/human society is barely hanging on by a thread, Elise, who is just a human, gets to attend the onl...
16.6K 1.6K 37
Vampires have Slayers. Werewolves have Trackers. Everything else has a Hunter. And then there is Elise Bunting. ___________________ Elise Bu...
13.3K 724 96
ARDEN SERIES : BOOK 2 & 3 Paranormal Romance Arden. The daughter of Athena. I have heard so much about you and everything you have done. Everyone say...
769K 35.9K 79
Vampires have Slayers. Werewolves have Trackers. Everything else has a Hunter. --- It's nearly been a year since Elise Bunting walked aw...