In the Absence of a Good Life

By ifindedcake

Meet Jimmy. He's the guy with all the problems, the screw up who always acts like a complete and total jerk... More

(1) The Destruction Manual
(2) Curiosity Didn't Kill This Cat
(3) Pride and Prejudice
(4) Wild Things Found In Unexpected Places
(5) If You Think A Penny's Pretty...
(6) Hand in the (Missing?) Cookie Jar
(7) All Work and No Play Makes Jimmy a Dull Boy
(8) The Pig Without Its Mud
(9) Mummy Told Me Not to Talk to Strangers...
(10) Happy Families!!!
(11) Phone a Friend
(12) Does Jimmy Dream of Mechanical Sheep?
(13) Un-expect the Expected
(15) Old Habits Die Hard
(16) A Hostage to Fortune
(17) The Phantom Menace
(18) Crime Pays, No Matter What They Say
(19) The Fallacy of Normality
(20) An Unnecessary Evil
(21) Curry Favour
(22) Stealing a Pound of Flesh
(23) Pecuniary Advantage
(24) The Clarion Call
(25) Turning Leaves
(26) Entering the Garden of Pomegranates
(27) Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow

(14) Their Chemical Romance

118 4 9
By ifindedcake

The Partner in Crime (A.K.A The Best Mate - Terrance)

'My grandfather... sorry, it's just... I haven't told anyone but Jimmy this, it's hard, you know?' I said.

'Yeah, course, take your time. It's not like we're in any hurry.' Shelly joked. I smirked at her.

'Well, his name was Jack Elmer...'

....................................................................................................................................................................................

Seven years before his birth, Jack's parents made the move across the pond to live a life that they'd hoped would be more prosperous. The switch from the United States of America to the much smaller Britain was made at the tale end of 1929. The Wall Street Crash had created a depression so severe, that many could not cope. Some decided to relocate, and Jack's parents were one of them.

1936 saw the birth of a boy who would soon become somewhat of a minor celebrity; Jack Elmer. From a young age, he displayed an unusual and unexplained amount of respect and leadership like qualities. His first years at school were spent not as the outcast with foreign parents, but rather as the child that was inexplicably followed around by a large crowd of children everywhere he went.

At the age of three, Jack's steady childhood development was interrupted by the beginning of the Second World War. He was evacuated to the safer countryside along with millions of other children. Here, he still exhibited the extraordinary trait of extreme yet unwanted popularity.

He soon settled into life with his new family, along with three other children his own age. All of them were treated with disdain and disgust due to their being 'those dirty, gutter sleeping London children'. This lack of any adult figure to look up to, lead to Jack's seemingly automatic promotion to the position. He soon found himself caring for those around him. Even though this only usually involved comforting others when something was wrong, or keeping the atmosphere light by entertaining.

Upon his return to his own family, he found himself having to cope with the loss of his father, who had been killed in combat after being conscripted into the army.

At the age of nine, the war ended and the men returned from their duties. Jack's mother was one of the lucky few who had managed to retain her job after the supposedly 'more able' men came home.

In 1952, Jack had become lost in trying to find his own self. He recognized that he could use his popularity to his advantage, and began to manipulate those around him. Soon, he was walking down the path to a life of crime and violence. Though, due to his skillful manipulation of others, he himself, never got his hands dirty. His name became feared and highly respected within the community. 

It was also in 1952, that he met his future wife, Gloria.  They met in Secondary School and lived the majority of their lives; together.

Gloria never approved of Jack's ways, and often vocalized her opinions. It was only when an attempt was made on her life, that Jack realized he could no longer live the way he did.

Slowly, he began to withdraw from the life of crime and violence, though he managed to keep his reputation. The fear that was felt for him dissipated through his generous donations of small sums of his wealth to various charities. Soon, he became a man with a widely known reputation of being someone who would stand up for those who needed it. Only the respect remained and increased.

In 1965, when Jack was twenty-nine, Johnny was born. Johnny would grow up to marry Terrance's mother, a very controlling woman who couldn't stand to not get her own way. She had heard of Jack's past, and had taken an immediate dislike to the man. As Johnny's relationship with his father was extremely good, so, in turn, was Terrance's. Regular visits solidified the bond.

In 2004, the good turned ugly. 

Through his life, Jack had offended a great number of people. It should have been common sense that one would try to take revenge. A second attempt was made on Gloria's life by a man who wanted Jack to suffer. The man had lost his own true love through the mistakes of one of Jack's 'minions' and thought it only fair that his enemy lost his.

Jack had found himself face to face with a situation from his nightmares; a knife was held to his beloved's neck, threatening to end her life. The attacker had been pleased with his ability to surprise the couple on their walk home. His revenge, that he had been planning since his wife had been murdered in the late 1950's, had been so near to completion. He had felt the need to inform Jack of this in detail. 

Within this moment, Jack had spotted and seized his opportunity. He successfully managed to save his wife at the expense of the attacker's life.

The next day, Jack was visited by the police and arrested on suspicion of murder. Soon afterwards, he was convicted to life imprisonment. Here, he spent the remainder of his life until he died in 2007, from a minor stroke that went unattended.

Due to his grandfather's time in jail, Terrance's mother forbid him from visiting both his grandfather and grandmother. He frequently went to their house secretly in his free time. There, he would spend time with his distressed grandmother and would occasionally visit his grandfather.

It was in these final moments that Jack helped Terrance into trying to make something of his life. He gave Terrance a reason to live on and a dream to aspire to achieve. He was a major influence in his life, and the only person whom Terrance felt he could truly confide in.  Jack encouraged him right until the end where he tragically died.

....................................................................................................................................................................................

'...and there you have it.' I struggled to keep my composure. My grandfather had been more of a father figure to me, than my own dad. My dad was a meek and feeble man, who went along with anything that my mum said. He couldn't bare to argue with her. He knew that I had been sneaking off to see my grandparents, but didn't say anything about it.

'What happened to your grandmother, Gloria?' Shelly asked after she had processed the entire story.

'She died soon after my grandfather. They still don't know why...' I said.

'Oh. I'm sorry...maybe she died of a broken heart?!' She smiled and attempted to lighten the mood.

'Yeah...maybe...' I smiled pathetically through the tears threatening to fall. They didn't go unnoticed.

'Ah! You big softie! Come here,' and rather unexpectedly, she flung her arms round me and started to laugh. I realised that she'd seen me about to cry. ME. About to CRY. I coloured out of embarrassment and started to laugh along with her.

'Hey! Why don't I get a muffin for you or something? Chocolate always helps!' She didn't give me a chance to refuse before she ran out to the cafeteria.

I flung my head back over the chair so I was staring at the ceiling. I thought over my past. It had been a while since I'd confronted it.

I became so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice that Jimmy had woken up and was calling my name. I groaned and stretched out my  arms before I looked at him. It was only when I saw his eyes that I remembered how furious I was with him. Neither of us could say anything and a long, tense atmosphere ensued.

The silence between us stretched on as we glared at one another, neither of us wanted to break the tension first.

Did he know how angry I was with him? Did he know that I had had enough of his stupid and unplanned actions? No doubt he had caused his own concussion unintentionally. Did he know that I was more pissed off that he'd gotten concussed in the first place? Did he know how much he had scared me? How glad I was that he was okay?

I couldn't take the silence anymore. I broke it.

I engulfed him in my infamous strangling hold and laughed over his shoulder; 'Jimmy, you damn noob, you scared me shitless!'

'Ahh, sorry man...' I heard him squeek.

As suddenly as the hug had come, I let it go. I returned to my gloomy and threatening self and scolded him.

'Don't do it again you little shithead.' I then walked out and slammed the door behind me. I knew he would be okay now, they'd possibly discharge him later on in the day.

Shelly was waiting for me with a chocolate muffin wrapper. 'Sorry, I got hungry...and Jimmy and you...'

I started to laugh at her, she looked so guilty. Not to mention she had a ring of chocolate around her mouth.. She frowned at me as I doubled over in hysterics. I pointed out to her that she was covered in chocolate muffin. After wiping it away, she started to laugh with me.

'Why are we still laughing?!' She managed to say through her giggling fits.

'I'm laughing at you!' I replied.

'Oh.' We both stopped laughing suddenly and feigned offence. Moments later the giggles started again.

'Come on, let's go home.' I said. We walked out, leaving Jimmy behind us. 

He'd understand...

....................................................................................................................................................................................

Hey :)

I went round asking people (at school and on wattpad) which name sounded better for the grandfather.

Choice 1 was Jack Elmer and the 2nd choice was Raeburn Adelmo. Most people chose Jack Elmer, but it was close. :)

Thanks to anyone who helped me decide :)

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading it :)

ifindedcake :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.1K 915 36
(Under Major Editing) this story contains descriptive self-mutilation, character death, alcohol abuse, drug/substance abuse, and bits of violence. (...
27.6K 1.3K 16
"You bitch! Look what you fucking did!" "I did?" I ask. "You were the fuck the blew the red light!" "I didn't blow any fucking lights, bitch whore! Y...
408K 4.6K 32
Bell and her parents go on a holiday to a small town in California for the summer. The town only has a couple hundred people and she runs into Matt h...
16.2K 176 16
i never finished this story but im not continuing it... theres no point in reading it.... i just like it here so i can have a copy because my last co...