Kiss Me Better

By lostinarabbithole

Bucky has your heart, but he seems to despise you. Loki comes up with a plan to make him realize just what he... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
Epilogue

24

3.4K 110 70
By lostinarabbithole

You waited a few minutes to calm down before joining the others, and immediately found Bucky's eyes focused on you, waiting to see how you were going to respond to what he'd just done. You were taken aback by the intensity of his stare, but managed a grin that allowed him to visibly relax and send you one in return.

All throughout dinner, you kept stealing glances and exchanging smiles, none of which went unnoticed by Steve or Wanda. When you finished, he quietly offered to take your trash along with his, and brought you a fresh drink afterward. Unable to wait any longer, you excused yourself for the night and quickly settled into your sleeping bag, running over everything that'd happened in the past several days.

Your thoughts were interrupted, however, when Nat and Wanda entered the tent.

"Ok, you're going to tell me what the hell's happening with you and Barnes," Natasha said as she started to change. "As if things weren't weird enough before, this has my head spinning and it's pissing me off that I can't figure it out."

Wanda gave her a pitying look, knowing how hard it was for her to just admit it. "You can't expect to when Loki's involved. It could've been anything," she comforted.

They climbed into their own sleeping bags, looking to you expectantly.

"Look, I can't. All I can tell you is I thought we were making progress. For almost the whole month it was just us two. I was wrong. He made it clear we never would be friends, but then he's..." you trailed off, alluding to what had just happened outside. "I want to believe he means it, but I can't be sure, and I don't think I'll be able to handle it i-"

"Shh!" Natasha abruptly stood, reaching for her gun. "Hear that?" she whispered.

"I don't hear anything," Wanda replied.

"Exactly."

You listened hard and noticed the complete silence; no crickets, no birds, not even a breeze. Quickly slipping your shoes on, you and Wanda followed Nat out of the tent, finding Clint and Bucky already outside looking for anything strange. Tony was the last one out, blaster at the ready.

"Uh, guys? Who spilled the chips?"

As if on cue, everyone's gaze fell to the ground, which was littered with potato chips. There was a cawing from a nearby tree breaking the eerie silence before a fluttering of wings grew louder. A crow landed and started pecking at a chip, occasionally looking up and cawing. Sam stepped forward and tried to shoo it away, but the crow only walked far enough away to avoid getting hit.

There was another fluttering, and another crow joined the first. Then another, and another. More fluttering came, but this time is was multiplied. Before you knew it, there were crows flying all around you, causing you all to either duck or take cover. Somehow, you were able to scramble out of the bird tornado without a scratch. Before you could begin to think on how to help your friends, you felt hot air repeatedly hit the back of your neck.

Turning slowly, you came face to face with a bear.

"Shit," you whispered. "Don't yell, don't run," you advised yourself quietly, taking a step back. "No eye contact. Just back away, nice and easy." Your heart began to beat faster when the bear matched you step for step, not letting you get any distance. Your only option was to get to a tree, and hope you could climb it quicker than it would take the bear to swat you off it, but you didn't dare look away from it to find one you could easily climb.

The bear snapped its teeth at you and kept snorting in your face, stomping its front paws on the ground aggressively. Just as it began to bellow, a flash of hair and metal swept past you and tackled it, sending them both tumbling far enough away that you could see the others had escaped the swarm as well.

"Nat! Bear!" you called, pointing in Bucky's direction.

She took aim, but wavered. "I can't get a clear shot!"

You all ran over to try to at least pry him free of it, but the bear took off running after taking a final swat at Bucky. Arms gripping you tight around your middle kept you from going to him.

"Stop!" Sam hissed at everyone. "He's going Soldier."

It was then you all noticed he still hadn't gotten up. He was on his knees, eyes unfocused and hyperventilating.

"Buck?" Steve began to approach, but Bucky looked up at him, prepared to bolt.

"Don't move," Natasha calmly muttered. "We'll never find him if he takes off, and who knows how long it'll be until he comes to himself."

Bucky looked around, probably for the best escape route.

"Guys, just stop and be quiet!" you urged. A memory of little Bucky in a foul mood flashed in your mind. Without thinking twice, you jumped into the same thing that brought him out of it. "'If I had words to make a day for you...'" you sang softly.

His full attention shifted to you. The urgency was there, but recognition was still out of reach.

"Let her go, Sam," Wanda whispered. "It's working. Keep going."

"Oh god help me," you breathed weakly, taking calculated steps toward him. "'I'd sing you a morning,'" you dropped to your knees, too, and approached that way. "'golden and new. I would make this day last for all time,'" You cupped his cheeks gently, and his eyes fluttered closed. "'then fill the night deep in moon shine.'Come back to us, Sweetie," you pleaded, placing a soft kiss to his temple before singing it again.

Feeling Bucky tentatively resting his hands on your back, you wrapped your arms around his shoulders and continued singing, not stopping until you felt him relax into you and hold you tighter.

Pulling back hesitantly, you asked, "Are you ok?"

In lieu of words, he pressed his lips to yours, taking your bottom lip between his for a lingering moment before separating. "I am now," he replied huskily.

You searched his face for a sign, anything to show he hadn't meant to do what he had. Finding nothing, you felt hot and giddy, and after a few deep breaths, your eyes got misty and you couldn't stop smiling. Cupping his face again, you pulled him back, engaging him in a more heated kiss. He chuckled at your fervor at first, but soon met you with his own.

"Please don't start having sex in front of everyone," Sam begged.

You broke apart and faced the others, embarrassed by the fact you'd forgotten they were there.

"Why don't give them a minute while we pack up?" Clint suggested. "Those birds ruined the tents."

"What about the bear?" Tony asked, looking around in case it was still nearby.

Clint scoffed, "I'm pretty sure it's gone. Come on, we should get on the road before it gets completely dark."

Neither of you moved before the others left. Bucky stood and extended a hand to help you up, tugging harder than necessary to make you stumble into his arms.

"Are you alright?" he asked. "Any of those birds get you?"

"No. What about you?"

He nodded, pointing to his unblemished cheek. "It hurts right here." You barked out a short laugh, standing on your toes to kiss him. "Here." He pointed at his other cheek, which you promptly kissed. "And here." He captured your lips with his, making you moan as he worked his hands into your hair.

The kiss left you feeling light headed. "I'm sorry," you gasped when you separated for air.

"No," he touched his forehead to yours. "I'm the one that should be sorry. I been treating you so bad." He pecked your lips, rubbing his thumbs against your cheeks. "All because I was stupid and blind."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know when it happened, but you grew on me. I thought you and Loki were... anyway, I was so jealous and I took it out on you. That's why he cursed me. I'm sorry you had to deal with it."

You pulled away from him, horrified. "Oh my god, Bucky, no." He reached for you, looking slightly hurt when you stepped back again. "He did it because I liked you."

Bucky knit his brows and began looking around as if it were some kind of joke. "What?!"

Looking down at your wringing hands, afraid of what was to come, you replied, "I liked you. So he cursed you so you'd have to spend time with me. So you could at least learn to trust me. I didn't know he was going to do it." Your voice began to crack and your eyes pooled with tears. "I'm so sorry."

You grew more and more anxious the longer the silence stretched. At hearing a snort, your eyes shot up to find Bucky, mouth covered in an attempt to stifle his laughter. He couldn't hold it long, and eventually gave in, laughing loudly with his arms across his stomach. Seeing your still worried expression, he reached out again, happy when you let him pull you into his arms.

"Isn't that just something..."

"You're not mad?" you asked skeptically.

He shook his head. "I'm done bein' mad. You didn't deserve it then, you don't deserve it now." He kissed the top of your head, smiling into your hair when you relaxed.

"Guys?" Steve cleared his throat, looking apologetic. "I hate to interrupt, but we could really use the extra hands."

"We're comin'," he nodded asking for just a moment longer. He looked down at you and smiled, pressing a final kiss to your lips. "To be continued?"

Biting your bottom lip to keep from grinning, you nodded and took his hand, leading him back to the camp.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 155 10
AU where Loki is part of the Avengers changing sides after falling in love with Tony Stark. But when your ex is a vengeful villain everything can go...
36.4K 1.3K 13
You take in Loki as a favor to Thor, but the road ahead was much bumpier than you expected as Loki never ceases to annoy and anger you.
116 11 5
Zephyr just wanted to be left alone. That's how she's been her whole life. Abandoned, unwanted, and angry. Oh so angry. While taking her revenge on t...
63.3K 2.1K 14
You happen to have powers no one else has. Every child dreams of being that powerful and there is this association that urges you to use it for the c...