14

Reading before bed quickly became your routine, as did sleeping on the couch instead of the bedrooms. Sometimes, when he was particularly restless, you'd sing to him. At first you were self conscious, because you're a terrible singer, but his need for comfort quickly took precedence. Besides you, the dog became Bucky's constant companion. He only ever let go of the thing to bathe, but it was always on the counter, waiting for the minute he stepped out. It already needed a good cleaning, but you couldn't bring yourself to ask him for it.

You were settled in your usual spot with Bucky nestled into you when a not entirely unexpected visitor appeared. "Things seem to be going better," Loki commented.

"Finished being an a- butt?" you asked.

He snickered. "I already told you, darling, it will wear off on its own. And how is our young man doing?" he addressed Bucky, who only scowled. "Oh my, he's still angry with me."

"Can you blame him?"

"I suppose not." He bent to greet you with a cheek kiss, his eyes shifting at feeling small hands pushing at his midsection. He raised a brow at him and looked back to you, a smirk forming on his face. He took a seat on your other side, wrapped his arm around you, and pulled you into him. "What are you reading, love?" he cooed.

"The Chamber of Secrets."

"I see. Carry on." He rested his chin on your shoulder, granting him an unobstructed view of Bucky.

As you read, you didn't notice that neither Bucky nor Loki were listening. Loki's grin widened as Bucky grew angrier. Loki began caressing your jaw with his finger, eagerly awaiting the boy's reaction. Bucky threw the dog at Loki and flung himself off the couch, running off into the elevator.

"Bucky!" you called to him, throwing the blanket off and pulling out of Loki's hold.

"That was... something." He had hoped for a bigger reaction, but at least he had a reaction.

"What did you do to him?" you accused.

"Why would I do anything?" he asked innocently before standing. "Well, I only came to check on you briefly. Things are hectic in Asgard."

Somehow, you didn't believe him. "How convenient." You reached the elevator and stepped in. "FRIDAY, take me to the floor Bucky went. Oh! Before you go, can you magic clean that puppy? Thanks!" you rushed before the doors closed.

Loki rolled his eyes and picked the toy up, looking at it in mild disgust. He cleaned it and set it back on the couch, wondering why things weren't moving along quicker. It wasn't as satisfying as it should have been to see Bucky behave as he did. There was no mistaking his affection for you, so he was expecting him to be much more uncivil to him than... usual.

He paused, thinking back to your most recent encounters with the soldier; the venom in his tone, the dirty looks, his tense body language. But from what you've told him when he wasn't around, it just seemed like Bucky couldn't get away from you fast enough. You'd never done anything to warrant his hostility, but Loki had.

"It's me?" he balked. Did he think you were being corrupted? Or... perhaps that you and he were something more than you actually were? "Oh dear, this is certainly interesting." The smile crept back onto his face as he chuckled. "Darling, you are in love with an idiot."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Sergeant Barnes is in his room." FRIDAY offered as you stepped out onto his and Steve's floor.

You opened his door to find him sat on the floor, sobbing and rubbing his knee. "Bucky, what's wrong?" You sat by him and saw his knee was scraped. "Did Loki do something?" He ignored you, and you felt yourself deflate. It had been just over a week since he'd been distant with you, and you didn't want to go back to that. "Did I do something?" you whispered. You bit your cheek as you were met with silence. "At least let me clean that up, yeah?"

He didn't say anything, but he didn't fight you when you picked him up and took him to Steve's bathroom. You pulled out the first aid kit he kept in there and fished out the things you needed.

"I falled."

"I can see that. Can you tell me what's upset you?" Bucky shook his head. "Alright, we'll have you fixed up in no time."

"He's a yu-yucky," he spluttered.

"You have every right to be mad," you gave him a sympathetic smile. "but he's ok once you get to know him."

He looked up pleadingly, turning the full force of his stormy eyes on you. "Tell Yucky Loki g-go away?"

"Relax, he already left. This is going to sting a bit, ok?" you warned, and were met with a hiss when you disinfected his knee. You blew on it as you uncapped the antibiotic cream. "That's the worst of it, I promise," you soothed, wiping the tears from his face. You applied the cream and topped it off with a bandaid. "Finished. Does it still hurt?"

He nodded. "Aw, I'm sorry. The cream might take a minute or two to start working, but it will." You were a little puzzled when he shook his head. He raised his finger to his mouth and tapped his lips. "Ohhh... MWUAH!" you kissed him loudly on top of his bandaid, bringing a giggle out of him. "Better?"

"Yes. We go read now?" He held his arms out to be picked up, and you carried him back to the living room to continue the night as planned.

 We go read now?" He held his arms out to be picked up, and you carried him back to the living room to continue the night as planned