Just A Shadow (RWBY male read...

By MichaelStotts2

well fuck here we are, first attempt at writing in fuck knows how long. ehm this story is gonna be a bit...di... More

Chapter 1: The Dark
Chapter 2: Unexpected
Chapter 3: Here to Stay
Chapter 5: The Wizard of Oz
Chapter 6: Meeting The Family
Chapter 7: Beacon Academy
Chapter 8: Beacon Academy pt 2
chapter 9: Initiation
Chapter 10: The Emerald Forest
Chapter 11: A Challenger Approaches
Chapter 12: Ugly Scars
Chapter 13: Can Still Heal
Chapter 14: Musical Morning
wtf?
Chapter 15: We Are Atlas Now
News on Chapter 16
Halftime
Chapter 16: Get Up
sorry
Chapter 17: Grace in the Grey
Chapter 18: Its Okay to be Afraid
hello again!
The Break: Goodbye, To A World
V2 Ch1: Round Two
V2 Ch2: Introductions
back on track!
V2: Ch3: In The Rear With The Gear
Important! Please vote!
V2 Ch4: Talk the Talk, Walk the Walk
Y/n's shadows/Umbrakinesis
V2 Ch5: The Rain
teeny tiny vote
little piece o news
V2 Ch6: Burden of the Blade
(small) V2 Ch7: Pre-Party
(small) V2 Ch8: Tapping the Brakes
V2 Ch8: "Dance Dance...Somethin"
V2 Ch9: Mission Morning
very important schedule update.
V2 Ch10: "Reconnaissance"
V2 Finale: "Enemy At The Gates"
The Interim
quick question!
V3 Ch1: Fever Dream
V3 Ch2: Ashes and Blood
Lets Do This
V3 Ch3: Omens
V3 Finale: Vanished
heheh
Guess whos fucking back
is anyone still there..?
VOLUME 4 CH 1: Deathless
V4 Ch2: A Colder Place
V4 Ch3: Buried In The Ashes

Chapter 4: A Dance in the Dustshop

10.8K 183 437
By MichaelStotts2

(My arms are exploding from Navy training...anyways why dont we start moving towards the ACTUAL story why dont we? Ozzy boy is in for a trip...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Y/n Pov

It's been about a month since I found myself bound to Ruby. I still feel like that could've gone better but honestly...now that I look back at it it's kinda hilarious. I find it kind of strange how comfortable me and Ruby have become around eachother in such a short amount of time, weve only known eachother for a month now and I feel like I've known her my life. Seriously we share a ridiculous amount in common, from our love of sweets to our excitable nature over weapons, we never seem to have too dull a moment around eachother and if I'm being perfectly honest...

I have no problems spending this new half-life of mine with her.

Oh right that, so we did some experimenting and it turns out that Ruby hit the nail right on the head, our souls have somehow fused and bonded with eachother, cause my new form seems to be made entirely out of a combination of both our auras. Now the initial thought would be that this would slightly drain, and weaken Ruby's aura, but it seems to do the opposite. She's told me that when she trains now, she seems to have a lot more stamina than before, and she can seemingly use her semblance for even longer without draining her aura too much. Of course when we found this out we thought it was absolutely amazing, and decided to celebrate rate by stealing some cookies from the kitchen. Now dont get me wrong I love sweets with a PASSION, especially cookies, but Ruby is an absolute FIEND for them. Seriously the rate at which she devours a plate of cookies is astonishing. And on yet another high note I've made the amazing discovery that, while I dont particularly need too, I CAN STILL EAT AND TASTE. I seriously dont know how I would've went on if I couldnt still taste delicious food. It's one of the only parts of life I ever enjoyed.

Ruby at one point also decided she wanted to see what I was capable of in this form, so one night she snuck us out of the house and into the forest to find some grimm. Now I wasnt exactly weak in life but I wasnt likely to win a fistfight, which is why it really surprised me when I sent an alpha Beowulf through a tree with a single punch. One thing that was interesting yet kind of unfortunate was the fact that the grimm are capable of 'sensing' me in a way, seeing as they are drawn to emotion. It was only after we got back to the house that Ruby spilt how much danger we were actually in when she told me how active grimm tend to be on Patch at night, I was a little annoyed after I learned that but I couldnt stay toooo mad seeing as we made it out alright. We haven't had an opportunity to see what else I'm capable of yet seeing as the only other sorts of combat practice weve had was either on practice dummy's or sparring with Yang or Tai, and seeing as how they weren't likely to react well to a shadow of someone's soul having bonded to their sister/daughter...we decided to hold off on that. We knew it was likely I'd be revealed to them at some point, bit we decided that it would be best to hold off on that as long as we could.

All those recent events have eventually led up to now, where Ruby and I are catching a bullhead to Vale. I thought the bullhead was pretty neat at first seeing as there isnt much like it back on earth but I managed to contain my astonishment, I mean I dont want earth to seem TOO inferior to remnant. The reason we were headed to Vale was because classes were set to start back up at Signal academy soon, and Ruby wanted to visit a dust shop she liked in Vale. She mostly wanted to go there because it always has the latest and newest gear as well as magazines on what's coming down the line, which that part I could understand. What I didnt understand was why we were going there at like 9 o,clock in the evening! Seriously!!! My FIRST visit to Vale and it's when pretty much all I want to do at the moment is fall in bed. I guess I didnt have much room to complain though, as Ruby had been a little preoccupied getting me settled in over the last month.

And ya'know what I think it was worth the trouble. Vale itself kind of looked like a more futuristic Boston or Chicago, maybe with just a touch of the New York charm. And honestly the city was beautiful at night, I normally prefer to walk but when we got into the city I just had to fly around for a minute to look at the city, it was like looking down at city lights from space, except much closer. Of course I couldn't fly too far or I'd end up hurting either myself or Ruby, and I dint want to hurt her. After I got my fill of the lights of the city, I walked alongside Ruby untill we reached a little hole in the wall shop, aptly named, 'From Dust Till Dawn'.

Y/n: "The names a little tacky but to each their own I guess: I remarked smartly and with a chuckle. Ruby just gave me a sideways glance with a smirk, as well as a playful punch to the shoulder before we continued inside the shop. The shopkeeper seemed to recognize Ruby as he waved to her with a smile while she greeted him.

Ruby: " Hey shopkeep! Just here to do some browsing. You get your new stock of weapon magazines yet?" The shopkeep nodded with a small smile before pointing over his shoulder to our right. "Awesome! Thanks again!" Ruby thanked him as she walked over to a small corner of the store to the right of the counter that had a magazine rack, as well as a few dust dispensers. Ruby picked up a magazine off the rack and sat down facing the rack itself, away from the door as she put on a big red set of headphones and started to listen to music while she read.

I took this opportunity to look around the shop and look at some of the dust. Ruby hand shown me some of her dust ammo before but there were so many types here! Fire! Ice! Air and even Gravity! They even had pure dust Crystal's at the counter.

I eventually got a little bored looking around so I eventually went back to where Ruby was sitting and floated opposite of her as I reclined myself in the air, throwing my hands behind my head. Ruby glanced at me over her magazine with a smile as I gave her a wave before she went back to her magazine. I took notice that the shopkeep wasnt looking and picked up a magazine myself and started to read. I picked up a weapon magazine to look at as me and Ruby had been thinking about maybe building me a weapon, and I wanted to see what my options were. I was thinking along the lines of some kinda axe...I always liked axes.

I was getting pretty caught up in my magazine so I didnt really notice when a man walked inside the dust shop with a bunch of similar looking goons in tow, and started to rob the place.

3rd Person POV

Roman walked into the dust shop with the men he'd hired from junior in tow, his trademark smirk plastered on his face as he approached the counter.

He walked right up to the counter and leaned on it with one arm as the shopkeep looked nervously at all the men Roman had with him.

Roman: "Finaly! Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a dust shop open this late?" He stated casually. Obviously enjoying how nervous the shopkeep was in this situation.

Shopkeep: "Please, just take my lien and leave!" The poor old man said as he threw up his hands.

Roman: "Relax old man we aren't here for your money." Roman said, clearly confusing the shopkeep. "Grab the dust!" Roman shouted to his men. As the goons went around the store and started to fill up containers with dust. A goon came up to the counter, placing down a silver suitcase and opening it and Roman threatened the shopkeep. "Crystal's. Burn. Uncut." The shopkeep got the message and started to take orange red crystals out from under the glass on the counter and place them in the suitcase, while Roman snatched one off the counter and admired it before he pocketed it.

Towards the right side of the shop, a singular goon was walking over to the ice dust dispensers, intent on collecting the dust, when he noticed a small girl in a red hood with headphones on, reading a magazine in the back of the shop. The man walked over to the girl with his bright red sword in hand as he intended on subduing the girl. Once he was fairly close to the girl he pointed his sword at the girl.

Goon: "Hey! Put your hand up." The girl still had her back turned to him, and seemed not to hear him over her music. The goon, growing frustrated shouted out at her again. "Hey!! I said put you hands. Up!!!" However the goon seemed to not notice the floating magazine across from the girl lower itself slightly. In fact he never noticed the floating magazine in the first place.

Y/n POV

I heard someone angrily shout for someone to put their hands up which snapped me out of my focus on theagazine, as o looked up and saw some guy in a black tuxedo and fedora, wearing a red tie and red shades angrily pointing a sword at Ruby's back, who hadn't seemed to notice him due to her music.

Deciding to do something I learned forward and tapped Ruby on the shoulder. She jumped slightly in her seat before looking at me in confusion, to which I simply pointed at the goon behind her. She looked back and saw the goon, taking off her headphones and addressing him.

Ruby: "Yes?"

Goon: "Finally!!" The man exclaimed putting his hands up in mock celebration before pointing his sword at Ruby again. "Put your hand up!" He shouted. Ruby looked back at me for a moment with a raised eyebrow, to which I simply shrugged as I put down my magazine and stood up as I cracked my knuckles, seeing where this is going, while she turned back to the goon.

Ruby: "Are you.. robbing me?" The goon simply stomped in place In anger as he responded, clearly fed up.

Goon: "Yes!!!" He shouted at her.

I walked up and stood next to her with my hands on my hips as she looked up at me with a smirk, confusing the goon.

Ruby: "oooooohh....." Ruby said as she looked at me before looking back to the guard. He was clearly confused what she kept looking at. So I can only imagine his shock when I kicked him in the family jewels, causing him to nearly double over while holding his crotch, while Ruby took this opportunity to attack with a "HIIYYYAH!" as she kicked him across the store and against the far window cracking it. This gained the attention of the rest of the goons in the shop as well as who appeared to be the leader of the group.

Roman: "o for the love of...will somebody go check that out?!?" He yelled as two more goons came over and tried to subdue Ruby. I went forward and bashed their heads together, lining them up perfectly for Ruby to run at them and kick them out the window. Using her momentum she followed them out the window as she landed on her feet in front of the shop as she slowly stood up, unfolding Crescent Ross behind her. I of course followed her outside.

Y/n: "Ok that was pretty badass." I remarked as ruby gave a prideful smirk at me before we turned our attention back to the burglars.

(Heres a song for the fight if you want one)

Roman: "Ok...get her." Roman ordered with a hint of 'well duh' in his voice S he motioned his cane at us. The rest of his goons charged at us as he continued to have the shopkeep fill up his briefcase with dust crystals.

Three goons came straight at us as a few lagged behind slightly. Ruby planted her scythe on the ground and spun around on its shaft as she kicked two of the guards away while I grabbed the straggler by the face and proceeded to throw him into a lamppost, causing it to bend slightly. The other goons seemed to hesitate after watching their friend get tossed around by seemingly nothing, but eventually charged at us anyway. The remaining 7 made their way towards us as Ruby brought her scythe up and slammed the blunt end of the blade onto a goon, hard, as she then hit another goon straight in the chest with the blunt side and sent him into two other goons, surprisingly putting all 3 of the out of commission. I intercepted the remaining three by grabbing the baseball bat that one of the downed goons had and knocking two of them to the sides as I then grabbed the last goon by his face and lifted him up. He was clearly confused and afraid.

Y/n: "Imma plant me a dumbass tree!" I shouted, earning a snicker out of Ruby as I proceeded to slam him into the ground, burying his head in the asphalt, taking care not to kill him though. Ruby would never let me hear the end of it, plus...I didnt really want to kill anymore people. Ruby still doesnt know I killed those shooters right before I died. The leader of the group stepped out the front door of the shop with a briefcase as he looked at his unconscious goons with an unamused look, taking notice of the flying baseball bat.

Roman: "You were worth every cent...truly you were..." he sarcastically commented as he pulled his cigar out of his mouth and dropped it to the ground, snuffing it out with the but of his cane. "Well red I cant say it hasnt been fun but in afraid this..." he then raised and pointed the butt of his cane at Ruby as a crosshair popped up, revealing it to be some sort of gun. "...is where we part ways." He finished his sentence as he fire off a large flare like projectile from his cane, I stepped in front of the shot and knocked away the shot with the bat I had, breaking it in the process. When the smoke cleared I spotted him climbing up a ladder onto a nearby roof. I pointed him out to Ruby and she took notice before quickly addressing the shopkeep.

Ruby: "Will you be alright if I go after him?" She shopkeep merely nodded with an astonished 'mhmm' as Ruby took off towards the roof with me following close behind. She fired Crescent Rose at the ground behind her and used the recoil to quickly shoot her up to the roof of the building, while I simply flew up and landed next to her. We arrived in time to see the man on the other side of the roof facing the edge as Ruby yelled out to him. "Hey!!" The man simply glanced back at her.

Roman: "Persistent..." he muttered to himself as the roof began to shake slightly, when suddenly a bullhead with its side door open rose up from the edge of the building. He stepped into the bullhead and turned to face us as the bullhead rose further into the air. "End of the line red!" He yelled out as he pulled a dark orange dust crystal from his coat pocket and tossed it at Ruby, taking a shot at it as it landed on the roof near her.

At that moment time seemed to slow down for me as he shot. Now I dint know a whole lot about dust, but i did know that it was super volatile, and super dangerous, meaning that a decent sized crystal like that was likely to make a pretty big blast. Acting on instinct, I was in front of Ruby in an instant, as I started to gather nearby shadows together into a protective bubble shield around her, finishing just as his shot hit the crystal and set off a large explosion. I felt a slight burning on my back as I stood arms outstretched in front of Ruby, which told me that somehow the blast had managed to hit me. When the dust settled I let the barrier fall and fell to my knees in pain.

I looked down at my hands and noticed that while I was still pitch black like a shadow, but now I was enitrely opaque, rather than transparent. I glanced at my back so see it sizzling slightly with smoke coming off of it. Ruby also seemed to hiss in pain slightly but didnt seek injured, which allowed a sigh of relief to escape me. We bother looked back at the bullhead to see that while we were distracted, a lady with fair blonde hair, glasses, and fair skin had shown up and started to do battle with whoever's was in the bullhead.

She was wearing clothes that made her almost look like a magician, and had green eyes. She waved around what looked to be a riding crop as she sent a range of attacks at the person on the bullhead, who was shrouded by the bullhead. The only part of them being visible being part of their dress, as well as their eyes and markings on their dress that lit up whenever she countered one of the blonde womans attacks. The person on the bullhead eventually ended the fight when they conjured up explosions beneath both us and the blonde woman, who in turn used some sort of telekinesis to shove us out of the way while she flipped out of the explosion. When she regained her footing she looked up to see the bullhead flying away into the night. She then turned her attention to us as she had a visibly annoyed expression on her face. Ruby however took no notice of the look the woman was giving her as she spoke to the woman.

Ruby: "You're a huntress..." she said. This surprised me slightly but I suppose it made sense considering what happened. "Can I have your autograph!?!?!" Ruby gushed at the woman, who narrowed her eyes at Ruby while I gave a single laugh at Ruby's childish behavior before I realized that this lady can now see and hear me, as I addressed her.

Y/n: "hehehe...uhm *gulp* hi there..." Ruby seemed to notice my nervousness and taking a glance back at me went wide eyed as she realized what was going on.

Ruby: "...well that's new..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(Aaaand there it is. The first actual dip into the story. The ball is rolling now my friends and shit is getting a little weird. I wonder what ozzy boy will have to say about this hehehe...
Welp! Until next time everybody!)

(Some rock for your trouble reading this 3300 word monster of a chapter. This has nothing to do with the story, just thought some people might like it. See ya!)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.2K 492 30
RWBY x Male Reader Story Sorry if a lot of things in the chapters seem really confusing, rushed and stupid. It's because I'm really not the best at w...
61.2K 904 47
I DO NOT OWN RWBY ROOSTER TEETH OWNS RWBY THERE ARE SOME FEW SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED RWBY YET So this is just a fanfic for the readers who wa...
282K 3.6K 36
A young boy was found and adopted by a family. As anyone thought the child would have a normal life, boy they were wrong. After an incident he left h...
125K 2.2K 20
What do you think this story about? It's just another Reader is who's a Grimm and she now has a Yuri Harem on her adventure. Disclaimer: I do not own...