The Wall Between Us

Von EneChelsea

Heir and CEO of Avalon Group, Nathan Adakole is faced with the choice of leaving the love of his life, Enitan... Mehr

Introduction
Chapter 1 - The Wall
Chapter 2 - Rock Solid
Chapter 3 - Too High
Chapter 4 - Concertina Wired
Chapter 5 - Surveillance
Chapter 7 - An Abortion
Chapter 8 - What were you thinking?
Chapter 9 - The lies you tell
Chapter 10 - Bad Idea
Chapter 11 - One last time
Chapter 12 - Trouble
Chapter 13 - Reflection
Chapter 14 - Consequences And Truths
Chapter 15 - Emotional Complications
Chapter 16 - Knight in Shining Scrub
Chapter 17 - You moved on so fast
Chapter 18-come home to roost
Chapter 19 - I'm not Okay
Chapter 20 - And I'll never be
Chapter 21-And so help me God!
Chapter 22- Run Enitan, Run.
Chapter 23 - Be My Mistress
Chapter 24 - Spotting a weakness
Chapter 25 - Moving away
Chapter 26 - Curiosity Killed The Cat
Chapter 27- Before I go
Chapter 28-Wedding bells
Chapter 29- Boarding

Chapter 6 - A Dent

506 92 66
Von EneChelsea

"Love is a fire. But whether it's going to warm your heart or burn down your house, you can never tell." - Joan Crawford

NATHAN

"Nathan?"

"Hi. Eni-" I said, out of breath.

I did not even run yet she left me breathless. She did that every time and not even her present dispirited look could alter that. Her cat eyes still bewitched me, drawing me like moth to a flame. Her 5'8" slender frame, ruler-sharp shoulders and firm ample bosoms made the oversized hospital gown look like costume for a modelling shoot. Her smooth silky skin had me fighting the urge to run my fingers over it.

I missed enveloping her in a hug, inhaling her sweet rose fragrance and tracing my hands over every edge on her. The thought sent my hormones to overdrive, but I cautioned myself as the circumstance inappropriate. But it meant the hospital bed had changed little. She remained as beautiful as the first time I saw her in our company's flourmill factory over two years ago. The memory flooded my mind like it happened yesterday.

****
As Managing director of the flourmill at the time, I'd been on inspection of newly acquired heavy-duty milling machines when I spotted her. Standing on an upper railing, her long neatly pulled back ponytail made it easy to notice her amidst the sixty-three men who worked in productions department. I became curious about what could've brought a young beautiful woman to a harsh and risky job like milling. She had such a determined and stubborn look of someone who could not be intimidated and capable of carrying out all task. She intrigued me. So I walked up to her and ordered she reported to my office after the inspection.

She came an hour later in her baggy navy blue overalls with rolled up sleeves and heavy boots that could stump the devil. I'd never seen anyone look so alluring and graceful on overalls.

Contrary to her fears of a query, I offered her a glass of the Romanée-Conti's Pinot Noir in the office and made her tell me her story till eight p.m. I watched her with my legs crossed on the desk, thumb and index finger placed under my chin in astonishment.

My heart lurched at the way she spoke with eloquence and fluidity, the way she laughed heartily at my jokes and made a few. She didn't fake it or try to impress the managing director like all the other vain girls I'd met. When other women dressed in designer wears with ridiculous body shapers underneath and outrageous heels to get my attention, she got it without even trying, - in baggy overalls and work boots. At nine p.m. I drove her to her family apartment in Yaba and before she alighted the car, I told her in plain and simple language; I was going to make her mine. I didn't care if she had someone else.

She ran out like a frightened kid on Halloween but months later, after being as stubborn as a bull, denying the feelings that rose from the romantic moments we shared and claiming I was a cold playboy, I convinced her to date me.

****

Looking at her now on the hospital bed. I realized I wanted her as much I did that first day. I'd come to honourably break up with her in hopes to protect her from my ruthless father. But now I feared selfishness clouded my reasoning, all I wanted was to keep her to myself even if it meant risking her life.

"What are you doing here?" She asked. She looked like she'd seen a ghost. I understood the reason for her question but my heart broke that it had come to this.

I remained silent as I shoved both hands in my side pockets and watched her intently. The doctor looked from me to her, his expression asked a silent question only the both of them understood. She nodded and his expression fell for a second.

He strode to me in a jiffy and I became aware of his exaggerated features. Narrow face that had a fake grin plastered over it, lashes and eyebrows too full and dark for a man, his cheekbones and jaws too sharp for his face. I wondered how he managed to breathe with a nose so small and pointed. He irked me and the confident arrogant smile on his face did nothing to help.

He stretched out his hand for a handshake. "You are Nathan. Avalon conglomerate and FoxTrap Security." He said more as a statement than a question.

Of course, my face was impossible to miss. I'd made it to the Forbes 30 under 30 list with my own security company that produced bullet proof glass technology and security systems. Also being the son of the richest man on the continent and CEO of his company, Africa's sweetheart and model for the young, he had no choice but to recognise me.

My hands remained in my pockets as my glare did not waver from his face. He chuckled arrogantly, folded his hand and withdrew it into the pockets of the white lab coat.

Good, I thought. I didn't have plans to frolic with a man who held my woman in ways I'd not been able to in weeks.

My woman? What had gotten into me.

"Nice to finally meet you. The magazines don't lie," he said.
Shocked by his honest comments, my face gave away no emotions still.
"We'll cross paths an awful lot from now I guess."

He walked back to the bedside table and picked the tablet on it, turned to Enitan with a wide smile.
"Hey pretty, remember what we talked about. Don't hesitate to call me if you need anything," he said. Emphasizing on the last part and sending me a quick smile.

No. I strongly doubt she'd be needing anything from you now that I'm here. The voice in my head replied.

"Ok," she replied, with a smile that only reached her lips. But when he walked to the door and shut it, her eyes unveiled so much sadness I'd never imagined could be found in them. Did it hurt her that he left, did she now prefer his presence over mine? The possible answers to those caused my heart to ache. Just three weeks they'd known and I feared the worst.

"You had no right to be rude to my doctor," she scoffed. "You have no right to walk in that door. Not now."

She shook her head in pensive silence, and as she turned away from me, her eyes got misty. "So what have you come to do Nathan?" She turned back sharply like she'd been snapped from a thought.

Silent for a moment, I tried to think of a coherent answer to give, but logic failed me.

"Inspite of our differences we had something special. We have something special." I startled even myself.

"What?" She asked, confused.

"You mean much more than just a piece of rag to be discarded without regard."

She shook her in realization. Three weeks later, I was finally answering the questions she'd asked when she confronted me in my office. She sniffed and beads of tears began to drop, she made a failed attempt to wipe them off her face. She kept sniffing as if that would somehow stop the dam from breaking.

"You're a liar," she said, Calmly.

Those words stung more than a scorpion's venom. She'd never said something like that to me before. Never. Though impulsive and hot-headed, Enitan had always been sweet and gentle with her words, she never said hurtful things even in anger. I failed her. I changed her.

"You're right," I said. Defeated. I closed the gap leaving only a foot between us.

"I lied. I should have told you when it all started. Even when they were nothing but ideas and suggestions, before the stupid proposal, before the news broke and before you came to the office."

"Then we wouldn't be here now, would we?" She blamed me for the accident and I understood.

"For how long did you know you were getting married?"

"Six months."

She laughed and shook her head not believing the level of deceit.

"Six months and you watched me love you more everyday and said nothing, six months we visited countries and signed our initials on monuments with the promise to go back someday." She laughed again and continued. "Six months and you came home to me every evening knowing you were going to leave soon."

"I'm sorry. I should have handled the situation better. I couldn't even bring myself to accept the fact I was going to leave. I thought just maybe...Maybe if ignored it, it would go away. I'm sorry Enitan."

"It's too late for that now, isn't it?"

"I'm so sorry I messed up badly and you deserve better. Much better than I gave you. I was a frigging coward!

My father had made some huge mistakes, signing a deal for a marriage seemed the only way he could get his freedom without humiliation. I should have let you in on it."

She said nothing. Her calmness frightened me. I expected her to throw the landline on the bed's headrest at me, or scream and pull at my cloth or scratch my face, but no. She just laughed, scoffed, sniffed and shook her head like she was in some sort of dream. I needed her to throw something at me to make me feel better. Because I knew, this was the calm before the storm.

"So what now? Tell me."

What now? The question hit me hard. I didn't even know the answer. This was not the plan when I left home. I'd intended to explain, apologize and give her logical reasons why we couldn't be together. Maybe compensate her with her dream scholarship to M.I.T. But now, I stood confused. I wanted her, and at the same time I wanted Avalon, and to make that happen my father had to remain free.

"What now Nathan? You stroll in here after three weeks, like you own the place. Act like an asshole to my friend. Surely you must have had something more than this pitiable attempt at an apology."

"I want to make things right with you."

"You want to make things right with me. Can you even do that right now? Can you!"

She smiled, not the usual hearty way she use to, this smile only revealed pain and hurt. I wished she could give me the smile I loved waking up to but that was like wishing for unicorns now. My heart squeezed at the simple thought.

"I can be there for you. For us."

"But how?" She asked, looking interested. "Did you call off the wedding and the deal?"

The realization dropped on me like a bombshell. My hypocrisy had been exposed. I wanted to eat my cake and have it. She got me lock, stock and barrel. I had no way out.

Her question rendered me speechless.

"Yea. Just what I thought."

"Eni. Please-"

"You can show yourself out."

With that she snuggled under the sheets and turned away. I didn't need to be told. Our conversation was over. I walked out distraught and shut the door. But my legs caved in, my body collapsed against the door as I laid back my head and sobbed.

1K reads!!! Somebody call the doctor, i'M gOiNg CrAzY.
Thank you so much for reading this story. I hope you enjoyed this update as much as I enjoyed writing it. If you did, don't forget to vote on this chapter by clicking the star thingy under this message.

Love, EneChelsea.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

810K 43.3K 85
"What do you mean I was gifted to you?" "It is not good to eavesdrop but you heard it right. You are a gift that was forcefully imposed on me." "Y-Yo...
117 24 9
In the vibrant heart of the city, young Evangeline Blake found herself irresistibly drawn to the enigmatic and aloof Nathan Blackwood. Despite his my...
11.3K 148 6
If Akiah has learned one thing it's men ain't shit. Her Daddy abandoned her family, boys in school belittled her, and the only man she has ever reall...
34.7K 7K 47
Started- May 07 2020 Completed- July 26 2020 Highest Rankings #1 in lekki (4/08/2020) #1 naija stars (5/08/2020) #5 in secondary school(17/07/2020) #...