Just A Shadow (RWBY male read...

By MichaelStotts2

well fuck here we are, first attempt at writing in fuck knows how long. ehm this story is gonna be a bit...di... More

Chapter 1: The Dark
Chapter 2: Unexpected
Chapter 4: A Dance in the Dustshop
Chapter 5: The Wizard of Oz
Chapter 6: Meeting The Family
Chapter 7: Beacon Academy
Chapter 8: Beacon Academy pt 2
chapter 9: Initiation
Chapter 10: The Emerald Forest
Chapter 11: A Challenger Approaches
Chapter 12: Ugly Scars
Chapter 13: Can Still Heal
Chapter 14: Musical Morning
wtf?
Chapter 15: We Are Atlas Now
News on Chapter 16
Halftime
Chapter 16: Get Up
sorry
Chapter 17: Grace in the Grey
Chapter 18: Its Okay to be Afraid
hello again!
The Break: Goodbye, To A World
V2 Ch1: Round Two
V2 Ch2: Introductions
back on track!
V2: Ch3: In The Rear With The Gear
Important! Please vote!
V2 Ch4: Talk the Talk, Walk the Walk
Y/n's shadows/Umbrakinesis
V2 Ch5: The Rain
teeny tiny vote
little piece o news
V2 Ch6: Burden of the Blade
(small) V2 Ch7: Pre-Party
(small) V2 Ch8: Tapping the Brakes
V2 Ch8: "Dance Dance...Somethin"
V2 Ch9: Mission Morning
very important schedule update.
V2 Ch10: "Reconnaissance"
V2 Finale: "Enemy At The Gates"
The Interim
quick question!
V3 Ch1: Fever Dream
V3 Ch2: Ashes and Blood
Lets Do This
V3 Ch3: Omens
V3 Finale: Vanished
heheh
Guess whos fucking back
is anyone still there..?
VOLUME 4 CH 1: Deathless
V4 Ch2: A Colder Place
V4 Ch3: Buried In The Ashes

Chapter 3: Here to Stay

11.2K 193 143
By MichaelStotts2

(I havent actually seen kamen ruder sorry. I also have no idea what is being said in the song but I think its atmosphere might work here. Hope you enjoy)

-------------------------‐---------------------------------------

Y/n POV

Ya know to say today was 'interesting', would be one of the biggest understatements in my life, or well...afterlife? Honestly I'm still trying to figure that part out. After the initial get to know you me and Ruby shared this morning, which admittedly could've gone a bit better, we spent most of the day figuring out what exactly our situation was. Whilst doing our best not to make Ruby seem insane to her dad and sister. So we ended up doing some limit testing. Turns out Ruby was right in some way, we seem to be tethered to eachother somehow, with Ruby more or less being the anchor point. Ruby so far is the only one who can see, hear or much less interact with me, I also cant stray too far from Ruby without experiencing some...discomfort, in short it feels like my very soul is being ripped from me. Its EXCRUCIATINGLY painful and not at all worth it, Ruby apparently feels something very similar, she described it as something like 'something was tugging hard on her soul, trying to move it'. We decided not to mess around with that too much, so far though it seems I can move about 20 yards away from her before we experience anything strange. While we found put thatvRuby is the only one who can interact with ME, it isn't the same the other way around, I seem to be able to interact with just about anything so long as I want to, if I dont then whatever it is will just, pass right through me, we had some good fun driving Ruby's dad taiyang ul the walls with me constantly tapping him on the shoulder, I swear he was so close to losing his mind hahaha... *ahem*. My appearance hasnt changed at all either. I'm still in the getup I described before, slightly transparent, and still sporting that shadow like black color, and honestly...I look pretty fuckin sweet. I honestly dont know the extent of my capabilities yet but that's just something that'll have to wait. Only time will tell with these things.

Throughout the day Ruby was telling me all about this world, 'Remnant' as she called it. From what I understand there are 5 major continents, with only 4 of them being majorly inhabited. There are also 4 major kingdoms where most of humanity is located. The continent known as anima houses the kingdom of mistral, anima lies in the east and sound kinda like Asia to me. Way up north is Mantle which houses the kingdom of Atlas, think of it like a habitable Antarctica, Atlas is also full military style from what I understand. To the south of Anima lies The Menagerie. It's much smaller than all the other continents and also houses most of the population of what Ruby calls 'Faunas'. From what I understand the Faunas are a species of people with animal traits, such as ears, tails or horns. They only ever have one at a time though, and they seem to be the target of this worlds racism, with groups like the White Fang, a faunas activist group, not doing much to better the faunas reputation. The last of the inhabited continents is also the largest, that being Sanus, which houses the kingdoms of Vale, on the eastern end of Sanus, and Vacuo in the west which consists mostly of desert. There is another continent that so far seems uninhabited, it has no official name and it lies north of Sanus, some people tend to refer to it as The Crucible.

Yknow the more I let all this sink in the more I realise just how much there is to unpack here...I should feel alien and foreign in this place...but i feel more at home than i ever have been. Anyways Ruby's home is on the island of Patch, which lies just west of Vale, off the coast of Sanus. Patch lies in what is called the Sea of Souls which lies in between Sanus and The Crucible, almost like this worlds own Mediterranean ocean. This is a lot to take in, but luckily Ruby was able to show me a map.

This world also has creature in it known as the creatures of Grimm. Not much is known about them but they know enough for that not to matter. Pretty much the only purpose of the Grimm is to destroy all that is human or faunas, they come in all shapes and sizes and are drawn to negative emotions. This confirmed the Grimm as being what I saw in my vision before I woke up when Ruby used the figures on the desk/shelf I noticed earlier. The figures were literally miniature Grimm figurines.

When I asked her how humanity deals with the grim she got super excited, I couldnt help bit smile at how enthusiastic she was about the whole thing, it was honestly adorab-ANYWAY she told me about how here on remnant, everybody has something called aura. From what I understand it's basically the manifestation of ones soul, this raised a lot of questions in my head but I packed them away for later. Someone's aura isnt always there from birth, it gets 'unlocked' at some point in their lives either when they are in danger, experiencing extreme emotion, or have it unlocked by someone who already has a strong aura. Along with aura everyone has something unique to them as a person called a 'Semblance'. A semblance is basically someone's own personal superpower, which if pretty fuckin AWESOME!!! Ruby seemed to share my enthusiasm on the subject when she immediately showed off hers. Basically she moves around super fast, much faster than I can see, and leaves behind a trail of rose petals when she does, the petals smell amazing too. Someone's semblance seems to be normally unlocked in much the same way someone's aura is, but usually in more extreme situations.

All of this talk on super powers and soul shields eventually looped back around to humanity's main defences against the grimm. Hunters and Huntresses. You can basically think of them as the worlds super heroes, meant to help defend and protect the people of the world. Of course not all of them are there to be heroes, some do it just for the money. After hearing how enthusiastic Ruby was about the topic, it didnt come as much of a surprise when she told me she wanted to be a huntress, as well as her sister Yang. As of right now they both attended a combat school here on Patch called Signal Academy, where her Uncle apparently used to teach, and taught her how to fight, but we'll get back to THAT in a second. Each of the four kingdoms had great academy's meant to train the huntsman of the future. The nearest one, and supposedly the best, was Beacon academy in the nearby kingdom of Vale. Apparently Ruby only had to finish 2 more years at Signal before she could apply to Beacon, while her sister Yang was set to apply later this year at the end of the second semester at Signal.

Honestly I couldnt help bit smile during our talks. Just something about her made me happy, and honestly I dont think I've ever smiled this much...anyways moving on from Ruby's excitable and lovably childish and innocent personality. HOLY CRAP this girl is more than meets the fucking eye!!! Remember her uncle I mentioned earlier? Apparently he's a professional huntsman who fights using a giant sword that can shapeshift into a freakin scythe! Sounds awesome right?

Well RUBYS weapon is even freakin cooler!! She eagerly showed it to me when she pulled out a small, long looking piece of mechanism, which she flipped around some and it switched into that biogas rifle she shot at me earlier, and to make it even crazier, she waved it around some more and it turned into AN MASSIVE RED AND BLACK SCYTHE!!! Seriously the thing was huge!! I have no idea how she carried that thing around but I was too caught up in the weapon to even think about that and I zipped around it examining it. Turns out the both of us are pretty big gun heads. Her weapon overall was a large scythe that also doubled as a customizable, high impact sniper rifle!

In short...its also a gun.

We both ended up gushing about weapons in the end which is how I learned that she herself designed that thing at Signal. Eventually we got into a conversation about dust, which is basically this worlds version of gunpowder, but it also is a massive energy producer on remnant. I think that's a talk for another time though.

The day was soon coming to a close as the sun had set not to long ago, and the moon was visible rising outside her window. The sight was just...

3rd person POV

Y/n: "wow....."

Ruby lifted her head up from the papers on her desk to see Y/n sitting cross-legged on her bed, staring wide eyed out of the window. She got up from the desk leaving her ideas on paper behind, deciding to continue on them later, and sat down on the bed next to him. She looked out the window to see the broken moon rising over the treeline in all its majesty...

Ruby: "Pretty isnt it?"

Y/n glanced at her for a moment with a smile as he looked back out the window.

Y/n: "It's...beautiful."

They sat there for a few moments, enjoying the comfortable silence as they admired the moon climbing it's way into the night sky.

Y/n: "Thank you Ruby..."

Ruby looked at him in confusion for a moment before asking.

"What for?"

Y/n: "When I died, I was ready to face oblivion, I wanted nothing more than to fade away and not even leave behind a memory of myself for the world to hold onto. I always felt like a stranger in my own home, and I never fit in anywhere I go. But right now..."

He looked at Ruby with a smile as she was able to clearly see now that he was trying to hold back tears, but ultimately failing as he continued.

"Right now i feel more at home than j ever have before...so thank you for helping me find a home."

Ruby didnt know how to respond as she simply looked down thinking of what he said before she looked back up at him and formed a response.

"Well..."

She placed her hand on his back as an attempt to assure him he wasn't caught in some cruel dream.

"Looks like your here to stay..."

They shared a smile before gazing out the window a while longer, until Ruby fell asleep and passed out onto his side. He chuckled slightly as he moved he under the covers of her bed before saying one last thing.

"Sleep tight Rosebud..."

He let himself float over the opposite bed as he layed on his side in midair, drifting to sleep himself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(Hey chapter three. 1900 words this time. This almost felt like a history lesson so I thought why not bond a little bit at the end there. Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter, and I'd love to hear your feedback. Goodnight all. And untill next time.)

(Welcome home)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.2K 492 30
RWBY x Male Reader Story Sorry if a lot of things in the chapters seem really confusing, rushed and stupid. It's because I'm really not the best at w...
9.2K 146 26
"I will protect them, no matter what, even if it means burning the entire remnant to the ground, i will protect them, this is a promise" "This is My...
949K 13.2K 86
Disclaimer: I do not own Rwby by Rooster teeth, Undertale by Tony Fox, or any of the images, videos, songs or references that are put on this story o...
259K 2.3K 20
Pain is the only thing that kept Y/n knowing he's alive what happens after he meets his absuive sister's along his with his family? Will he kill them...