✔The Cricketer's Ex-Wife[The...

By thebutterflyeffect31

Now available as Audiobook on Audible India. On the field, Shaurya Gupta is a star batsman for the Indian cri... More

Chapter 1- Ripples in the calm waters
Chapter 2- Pleasure meeting you
Chapter 3- Anger and Resentment
Chapter 4- Sprouts of hope
Chapter 5- The good samaritan
Chapter 6- Not my friend
Chapter 7- Being an adult sucks
Chapter 8- The photoshoot
Chapter 9- A replica
Chapter 10- A friend indeed
Chapter 11- The secret box
Chapter 12- You, me, and room
Chapter 13- Daddy and Baby date
Chapter 14- The Pineapple Attack
Chapter 15- The Thief
Chapter 16- Truth- A two sided coin
Chapter 17- Priya Sinha
Chapter 18- The calm before the storm
Chapter 19- The Good Cop Bad Cop
Chapter 20- Bruises and Balms
Chapter 22- The sleepover
Chapter 23- A serial killer and tears
Chapter 24- The Red Riding Hood And Her Wolf
Chapter 25- The Facebook Live
Chapter 26- The burden of truth
Chapter 27- A 7 year old boy
Chapter 28- A second chance
Chapter 29- The Family Trip
Chapter 30- The wake-up call
Chapter 31- Tweets and one E-mail
Chapter 32- When the dust settles
Chapter 33- Our happy ending
Epilogue
Please help

Chapter 21- The storm

30.7K 1.9K 399
By thebutterflyeffect31

Author's note: Here is a new chapter!! Hope you guys enjoy reading it. This chapter took a long time to write so please do drop in a vote and comment about what you thought of the chapter. Thank you!❤

P.S. A lengthy chapter ahead. 😅

Shaurya watched Dhvani flabbergasted as she suddenly began to cry in front of him.

"Dhvani?" He asked as he used his hand to tug her under her chin till she looked him in the eye. Trying to figure out what happened suddenly for her to start crying like this. Turns out, even after all these, he was still the idiot who thought about Dhvani more than he thought about himself.

"Where did I lose you, Shaurya? Was anything between us true? Was our relationship that meaningless to you that you didn't even think you should try to talk to me? Explain yourself to me? You sent those divorce papers just like that? Like I was... our relationship was such a burden on you. A burden that you couldn't wait to get rid of. Why, Shaurya?"

Shaurya opened his mouth to ask her what she was saying, but suddenly she grabbed his collar and shook him a little. "Why did you do this to me? To us?"

Shaurya continued to watch Dhvani shell shocked. Each word uttered by her sliced his already wounded heart. What the hell was she talking about?

"Dhvani," He managed to rasp out. "What are you talking about?" Was she seriously accusing him of signing those divorce papers after she had decided she was going to leave him?

"You don't know what I am talking about?" She scoffed and stood up. "Right! You don't know anything." Using the back of her hands, she wiped her face. "Bathroom?"

"Dhvani, what-"

"Do you not have a bathroom in this big house of yours?" She snapped.

He bit back the sassy retort he had on the tip of his tongue and pointed to one of the closed doors.

"Thank you!"

Shaurya watched on as Dhvani limped to the bathroom. Sighing, he sat down on the chair previously occupied by her.

"Oh!" Shaurya suddenly laughed as Dhruv launched himself into his arms.

"Where is Mumma?" Dhruv asked as he seated himself in Shaurya's lap.

"In the washroom," Shaurya replied distractedly.

"Shaurya," Dhruv gave him the same puppy dog eyes similar to Dhvani's. The ones she would use to get her way.

"Hmmm?" He nodded at Dhruv, pushing everything aside and trying to focus only on his son.

"Can I take your PS 4 home?"

Shaurya looked down at Dhruv in amusement. He really had the whole 'I am adorable, so you have to do everything I say' look down to the t. The thought of Dhruv going home, leaving him in this big house all alone was terrifying. Now that he knew he had a son, he never wanted to part from him. "Maybe you can come and play here with me?"

Dhruv's smile dropped, and his face turned thoughtful. "But only till my birthday. Because after that, my Papa is going to live with us, and I can't leave him alone."

Shaurya licked his lips and passed him a small smile. "Dhruv, what has your Mumma told you about your Papa?" He asked softly. "And did she tell you that your Papa is going to live with you."

Dhruv shrugged his shoulders. "Only that I look like him." He said with a grin. "Mumma doesn't say anything about Papa. But when he comes to my birthday party, I am not going to let him go anywhere."

Shaurya sniffled and cleared his throat to get rid of the lump of emotions choking him. "Really? How are you going to do that?"

Dhruv's eyebrows furrowed again, and he bit his lip as he thought about it. Suddenly, he threw his arms around Shaurya's neck tightly. "I am going to hold him like this."

Shaurya laughed at the idea and hugged him back equally tightly.

Dhvani returned from the bathroom and paused when she saw Dhruv and Shaurya hugging.

"Mumma?" Dhruv asked when he heard his mother. "I am-"

"Let's go home, Dhruv," Dhvani said as she walked towards him and pulled him off Shaurya's lap. "Go bring your bag. You have school tomorrow."

Dhruv groaned. "But, mumma, I haven't even defeated the evil monster yet." He beseeched as he hugged Dhvani's legs and looked up at her.

"Nothing doing-"

"That's okay." Shaurya interrupted. "I'll drop you home later after dinner. You go and finish the game."

"Shaurya, Dhruv has school tomorrow," Dhvani argued.

"I'll.drop.you.off.later." He told her through gritted teeth and then smiled at Dhruv. "What would you like to eat for dinner?" He asked as he crouched down, so he was at the same level as Dhruv.

"Khichdi," Dhruv said with a grin.

"Khichdi?" Shaurya scrunched his nose and looked up at Dhvani, who was glaring at him with her arms folded. "Okay! Khichdi, it is." He clapped and stood back up. "That's the only thing I know how to make anyways." He mumbled and ruffled Dhruv's hair.

Dhruv knew better than asking his mother again, so he ran back to the entertainment room. She wanted to grab Dhruv and storm out of the house, but the last thing she wanted her son to see was his parents fighting.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?" She asked angrily as she followed Shaurya to the kitchen.

"Making khichdi." He replied with a small shrug.

"Shaurya, you know what I am talking about." She said as quietly she could.

However, he stayed stubbornly quiet. She kept calling his name and asking him questions, but he didn't reply instead focused on retrieving the ingredients and placing them on the counter. At one point, she got so frustrated that she wanted to pull her hair out or bang the cooker against his head to get a reaction out of him.

"Are you going to eat?" He asked as he was putting everything in the pressure cooker.

"No," she stomped her foot in annoyance. "I don't want your stupid khichdi." She snapped, although her mouth was already watering at the thought of eating it. She was a huge fan of khichdi and especially the one he made.

"Okay."

"That'll be too much. Dhruv is not going to eat all of it." She said with a slight eye roll.

"It's fine. His father will eat the rest." He simply said and turned on the stove. "Don't worry. I won't give you any."

"I don't want any." She clarified as she placed an arm around her stomach.

"Good. Because you are not going to get any." He nodded and disappeared into the pantry.

"Can't you hear I am talking to you." She snapped when he silently leaned against the sink and played on his phone.

"And can't you see I am not talking to you." He replied distractedly.

She stormed her way to him and plucked the phone out of his hand.

"What the hell, Dhvani. Give it back." He demanded.

"Not until you talk to me." She retorted and hid the phone behind her back.

"Doesn't work like that. Only you don't get to decide when we talk and when you get to run away. I am not the same Shaurya who would do anything to be with you."

She laughed bitterly. "Am I supposed to feel flattered?"

Shaurya took a step forward to tower over her, and she instinctively stepped back. He walked them backwards till her back hit the wall near the kitchen. Taking a deep breath, she but raised her head to look at him. Their lips a mere breath away and for a moment, they both thought about kissing the other, but the whistle from the pressure cooker broke their trance, and they both pushed away from each other.

"Stop trying to make my son like you." She said when she managed to fight off the embarrassment crawling up her cheeks.

"He is my son too." He reminded as he watched her walk towards the entertainment room.

"Then start behaving like a father. Like a role model." She hissed and threw his cellphone on the ottoman.

《○▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎○》

"I like it!" Dhruv said with a grin as Shaurya fed him the first spoon. "Just like my mumma makes."

Shaurya let out a breath he didn't even realize he was holding. He felt like he was going to burst with happiness.

"Mumma, why aren't you eating?" Dhruv asked Dhvani, who was sitting on the couch.

"It's okay, baby. You eat." Dhvani smiled and blew him an air kiss.

"Go give this to your Mumma," Shaurya whispered into Dhruv's ear when all her attention was focused on her laptop. She had received a call from Kritika and needed something to be done immediately.

Dhruv smiled impishly and balanced the bowl in his little hands so he could place it in front of Dhvani. "You shouldn't ever waste food." Dhruv parroted what she had told him several times.

Dhavni looked up at Shaurya with the intent of asking him why he was trying to be all sweet now, but he was focused on his bowl of khichdi. "You are right. You shouldn't." Dhvani picked up the bowl and took a bite. Hell would have to freeze before she admitted she was eating because she liked the food and not because she was trying to set an example for Dhruv.

Almost an hour and a half later, Dhvani packed up her laptop. She hadn't been able to work on the project in the last two days, and Kritika had demanded the project be handed in immediately. So, she had to try and finish it sitting on Shaurya's couch. But Dhruv and Shaurya hardly minded that. Both of them were laughing and chatting at the dining table, and then they moved to the entertainment room to play some game, leaving her alone.

She hated that none of them had invited her to join the fun. Granted, she had to finish a task, but she still felt alone.

Would Dhruv forget her once he officially had his father?

She stood up and began walking to the entertainment room, getting ready to be the party pooper and separate the father-son duo.

Shaurya's phone still lay on the ottoman where she had tossed it and was currently vibrating. Guessing it was something important, she picked it up so she could take the phone to Shaurya. However, when she saw Priya's name being displayed on the screen, everything froze. Then the phone call stopped, and a message popped on the screen. 'I miss you!💔'

Why couldn't she learn? After everything she had been through, this still hurt. So much.

She needed to get out here immediately. Wiping her tears and taking huge gulps of air, she walked to the room where another surprise awaited her.

Dhruv was sitting on Shaurya's lap. His head tucked in the crook of his father's neck, and he slightly drooled on his father's shirt.

Shaurya grinned up at her, but when he saw her grim expression, his own smile dropped.

She padded towards them and tried to pick Dhruv up; however Shaurya held her hand and cocked his head towards the door, indicating he wanted to talk to her outside.

She tried to wiggle out of his hold so she could go home with her son, but Shaurya didn't let go of her till she finally mouthed 'fine.' to him.

Shaurya gingerly placed Dhruv on the wide sofa and draped a throw around him. Leaning forward, he pecked Dhruv's forehead softly. Closing the door behind him, he followed Dhvani to the living room.

"Hey, Dhvani!" Shaurya began gently. "I was wondering if Dhruv could spend the night with me... don't worry, I'll bring him home tomorrow early. I won't let him miss school."

"Why? Don't you have other things to attend to?" She snapped as she faced him.

He was taken aback by her abrasive tone; however, he was the one who needed the favour, so he swallowed his pride. "No, I don't have-"

She thrust his phone at him. "But I think someone is waiting for you." She taunted.

He read the message and tried to hold Dhvani, but she just pushed his hands away. "Dhvani, this message..." he tried to stay as calm as possible. "She had asked me to accompany her to a party-"

"I don't care." She snarled. "I just want to get my son and leave."

Shaurya held her back forcefully when she tried to push her way back. "Really? If you don't care then why are you creating a scene?"

Her mouth shut because she had no answer. She just tried to keep herself together.

"And what the hell is this, my son? Dhruv is my son too. I am trying to be as accommodating and understanding in this situation, but don't push me." He warned.

"Really? What are you going to do, huh?"

"I can apply for full custody, and I guarantee you that any court is going to give Dhruv's custody to me."

"Really?" Dhvani scoffed. "A man with multiple charges of physical assault and anger management issues. You think the court is going to give you custody?" She blurted out before she could stop herself. It was a low blow. "Shaurya, I didn't-"

"What are you?" He retorted bitterly. "A cheater and liar. You hid my son's birth from me. That should be enough to prove to the court that I can give Dhruv the upbringing he deserves."

"I didn't hide anything." She jabbed at his chest. "You were the one who cheated on me. Spoiled my entire life and then ended-"

"So, we are back at this again?" He asked dryly and pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to calm himself down. "How many times do I have to tell you that I didn't have an affair with Priya or anyone else. Or now, there is no one in my life." He couldn't believe he was telling her all of this.

"So you didn't sleep with her?" She challenges, and Shaurya's fight died down.

"Once." He confessed softly. "After my father's funeral-"

Dhvani sat on the couch with her head in her hands and began crying and then laughing. "That's probably why you didn't return my call, huh?" She asked.

"Call?"

"You know after everything I thought in that one moment you might need me... but I was wrong. You needed her." She screeched.

"I needed you. Every moment of life, I needed you, but what did you do, huh? You left me and walked out of put marriage without any explanation." Shaurya argued. "And what call are you talking about?"

"You are serious?" She asked, and when Shaurya continued to look at her in confusion. "I hate you!" She spat out and tried walking past him, but he grabbed her shoulders and forced her to look at him. "Not more than I hate you." He snarled.

"My father was right about you. All you did was pretend you loved me. You used me to get to my father's wealth." She screamed. "I wish I had listened to him and never married you."

"Then, why did you?" He yelled back. "You shouldn't have. Don't forget you were the one who thought this was a great idea."

"Because I loved you." She screeched. "And thought you loved me too."

"I did!" He replied immediately. "So much, Dhvani. All this money. This house. This luxury. I wanted for you. For us. For our family." He said, cupping her face.

"Right?" She scoffed. "So, this is why you asked my father for five crores?"

Shaurya blinked a few times before the question registered. "Did your father tell you that I asked for that money?" He asked as he dropped his hand.

"Yes." She stuck up her chin. "He showed me proof too. Of the cheques, he wrote to you. The pictures of your infidelity. Everything. You made my father the villain in our marriage, but it was all you."

He left her and took a huge step back. "Everything aside. You believed that I could extort money from your father?"

"Of course not. I cried and fought with my dad. For you. Making such high claims, 'My Shaurya would never do this.' 'My Shaurya loves me way too much.' 'This is all a misunderstanding.' I was such an idiot." She let out a dry laugh. "And belief? After everything when your husband sends you a notice of divorce instead of trying to solve the misunderstandings, you kind of get the messages." She said as she air quoted the word misunderstandings.

"Did you go to London?" He asked.

"What?" She looked at him in confusion.

"After you left home." He asked in irritation. "Did you go to London?"

"I want to go home now." She snapped and attempted to leave once again, however this time, Shaurya held her hand and dragged her to one of the rooms.

"Leave my hand," Dhavni screamed as she tried to break free from his strong grasp.

"You are not running away today, Dhvani." He said and locked his bedroom door.

She knew enough to know Shaurya would never hurt her. "Let. Me. Go." She said slowly. "Otherwise, I'll scream. The last thing you want-"

"Your father told me you went to London and gave him a power of attorney." He interrupted her and blocked her path of exit.

"I didn't go to London." She snapped. "I went to my Maasi's house in Delhi. After you sent me those divorce papers, I didn't want to see you. So, I signed those papers that appointed him as my power of attorney. Happy? Now, can I leave?"

Shaurya shook his head and slid down to the floor. "Dhvani... I.... your father." He couldn't articulate anything. Not when thousands of thoughts were brewing in his mind. Thoughts of varying emotions played on his face. He was happy, but he was also angry. Angry at his father-in-law for spoiling their marriage like this. Mad at her for not believing him. But he was absolutely furious with himself. How could he have let Haripraksh Mishra play them like this?

"What are you saying?" Dhvani walked away from him and sat on the bed, feeling exhausted. "And I am not a liar or a cheat." She said, wiping her tears.

He looked at her blankly. Everything was still overwhelming to take in. Nothing made sense, but everything did. He felt so confused at what he should be feeling at that moment.

"After I found out I was pregnant, I put my ego aside and called you. Tried countless times. I gave so many messages to Priya, but not once did you reply. Even after Dhruv was born, I came down to Delhi to see you once and talk to you, but I just waited outside like an idiot."

"Priya?" He breathed out. Oh God! Not Priya too.

"Do you know how humiliated I felt every time I had to beg her to let me talk to you? I wanted to call Lucky and tell him everything, but then I thought... if you didn't care about me, then why would you care about the child growing within me." She said as a fresh set of tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Priya never told me about any of your calls." He blurted out.

She blinked and looked him in astonishment. Her mouth opened and closed, but she said nothing before she managed to whisper, "Guess it's her word against mine." She gave him an impersonal smile.

"Did your father tell you I spent 4 hours outside his house so that I could talk to you and sort out the misunderstandings?" He asked after a pregnant pause. "And then he told me you wanted the divorce."

Dhvani shook her head in disbelief. "My father would never do that. He may not have liked you, but he would never do that to his daughter. He loves me way too much." She said immediately. Blocking out all the thoughts that forced her to suspect her father. She had already gone against him for Shaurya once but wouldn't do that again.

"Guess it's his word against mine," Shaurya repeated with the same impersonal smile. Then slowly stood up and walked over to the bed. He bent down and retrieved the envelopes he had inside the bedside drawer before handing one particular envelope to her.

She studied the envelope in bewilderment. To, Shaurya Gupta it read; however, it was the penmanship that caught her attention. It was her father's writing.

"This was the gift I received from my father-in-law on our first wedding anniversary." He explained as he sat down on the bed beside her.

She blinked away her tears and opened the envelope. A cheque fell into her lap. It was her father's signature, but there was no amount written on it.

With a thumping heartbeat, she unfolded the letter. Again all of it was written by her father.

Shaurya,

Today marks the first anniversary of my daughter's biggest stupidity. I love her way too much to tell her no, but trust me when I say this; both of you are not right for each other.

I have enclosed a blank cheque inside the letter for you. Take it, fill whatever amount you want to, you can advance your career and life with this money.

Once you encash this check, I'll take care of the rest.

- Haripraksh Mishra

Dhavni literally couldn't breathe. She looked at Shaurya and then back at the letter.

"I got a few of them here." Shaurya held out the other envelopes in front of her.

She reached for them but tossed them on the ground. "Don't read them." He instructed softly and held her hand to stop her from bending down to pick up the letters. "You won't recognize your father."

"Why didn't you tell me?" She was a crying mess at this point.

"He was all you had apart from me." He murmured. "I kept all of these so I could prove to him that I could also keep you happy. Treat you like a princess, just like he did. But...." he broke off.

"How could he do all this? My Papa!" She sobbed as she hugged Shaurya for comfort.

"How could my ego and anger have blinded me? I didn't even read those papers. I just signed them." He grimaced out loud as he hugged her back.

How had they been so stupid not to realize that the two people who they thought cared about them, in reality, didn't? Had they seriously lost seven years of their marriage because they believed someone else over their spouse?

She slowly pulled away from him, but she kept her arms around his shoulder while his arms held her close by her waist.

Both of them studied each other's faces. Using his thumbs, he wiped the tears that were rolling down her cheek. They didn't know who took the initiative, but in the very next moment, they were kissing.

Their kiss was frantic and all-consuming. Like they wanted to express everything they were feeling all at once through the kiss. Their anger, their happiness, their fear, their need for the other. Everything.

When they both broke apart, they were breathing heavily. Her father's letter was crumpled in her hand, and she let it drop to the floor before closing her eyes and leaning in for another kiss.

She lay on the bed, and he crawled atop of her, not breaking the kiss. They were both afraid that if they broke apart, the moment would disappear, but they wanted this more than anything that night.

Their lovemaking was the opposite of the passionate beginning. It was tender. It felt like it was their first time again. Gentle caresses were trying to discover the changes in their bodies over the years. Hesitant touches. Lots of eye contact. No words were exchanged.

A few hours later, they both fell into silence as they tried to process everything that had happened during the night.

It was 3 AM, according to the digital clock at the bedside. Dhvani lay on her side, facing away from Shaurya. It had been exactly 30 minutes since they had laid down to sleep; however, sleep was far gone. She waited for Shaurya's arms to come around and pull her closer to him. Whisper the words she wanted to hear, but nothing happened, so she just stared at the outline of the envelopes in the darkness.

She sat up as quietly as possible.

Shaurya debated whether he should turn around and tell Dhvani he still loved her, and all the horrible things he said were out of anger. He felt the bed shift under her movements. Guessing she was coming to make the first move, he decided to meet her halfway. With a small smile, he turned around to face her.

Dhvani kept her back to him as she got dressed.

"Where are you going?" He managed to ask.

"I'll go sleep with Dhruv. Good night." She said and walked out of the room after closing the door softly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.7K 334 8
In the glittering world of wealth and power, he is known as a billionaire, a shrewd business tycoon. But behind the polished facade lies another trut...
36.1K 3.2K 30
"If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were." ♡ "I saw this girl at the age of 13...
83.6K 3.4K 31
"Biwi, biwi lagti hai yeh meri. Aur kuch sunna hai?" ***** "Jab biwi nahi thi tab itna farq parra tha ab to biwi ho" ****** " tumhara hi hu , andar b...
69.9K 2.8K 23
Disclaimer:Has mentions of sexual abuse. "I never wanted you in my life! Mere gale bandh diya tumhe Mummy papa ne. Isiliye itne dino tak tolerate ki...