The Scars of Revenge

Oleh OnlyYou4ever

After the death of his only brother, angry and vengeful Robert Martin is seeking justice for him. He kidnaps... Lebih Banyak

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Five

12.3K 297 50
Oleh OnlyYou4ever

Author's Note: 

For those of you who personally messaged me, thank you very much for looking out for my well-being. For the past months, I have been battling with a depression, but I am better now. Thank you for those readers who are still here looking forward to this story and welcome to the new readers. I am very grateful and read all your comments and feedback. Hopefully I would get to hear more from all of you. 

Unedited 

Robb give her one of his dashing smile before the elevator door shut with Katelyn's disapproval expression still linger in the air.

Katelyn can play hard-to-get all she wants, but last night was a big step for them. She's beginning to be more open to him. She just need that extra push to finally be with him.

"Robb?" His mother calls him. He turns around to find her standing by the way to the kitchen, crossing her arms. "You got some explaining to do, young man."

"Yes, mum." He nods as he walks towards the couch and sits. Then gestures for his mother to sit, and she follows.

Immediately as she sits, she asks, "You're here with Kristine's sister. Did you know about Henry's girlfriend?"

"Not until after he passed," he replies lowly, not even looking at his mother.

The topic of Henry and Kristine is all he heard these days. Now it is haunting him, day and night.

Before, he thought that by keeping Henry's name alive will bring guilt and torment to Kristine. He never expected it to backfire at him. Now he wanted more anything to forget those names.

But it won't go away.

"It is something your brother would do." Lizzy smiles, bitterly as she remembers something about Henry. "That stubborn boy, " she chuckles sadly then scoot in closer and ask him, "Is that the reason why you're getting to know them, both Kristine and Katelyn?"

Robb clear his throat, trying to hide his distain and guilt for the other Hawthorne twin. "Mum... I don't know if you know, but Kristine is dead. She committed suicide two months ago."

"Dear, God," Lizzy startles, her hand clutches over her heart and her face horrified. "I just talked with her. I can't believe it."

She talked with Kristine? How does she know about her?

He hadn't told anyone, but Elias and Lenny when he found out that Henry had a secret girlfriend, who was the reason to his own demise.

"When did you talked with Kristine?" he asks.

She shrugs, wondering her eyes away. "I assumed a little after..." she trails off, not able to contain her shock. "Goodness, I can't believe it."

Robb stays quiet as his mother trying to gather her thoughts. It's almost a familiar sight when watching his mother shocked and sadden face; Just like Katelyn, except the sobbing and grief driven her into madness.

"Robb?" Lizzy scoot even closer this time towards him. "How did you came to know about Kristine?"

Normally when the mere mention of that name makes him angry, but not today. When the name comes out from his own mother's mouth, it pains him even more. If his mother knows all his wrongdoings, she will never forgive him. But if he kept it from her, when she does found out eventually, she might even cut off with him.

Slowly, Robb exhales then look to his mother's gleaming blue eyes. His breaths shaken, "Mum, I got something to confess to you."

"Confess?" Lizzy frowns. 

*************************************

Katelyn rushes into her office and lean her whole body against the door as soon as she closes it.

The deal with the Lockhart's finally over. After all the thank-you and congratulations, she was able to find an excuse to quickly get away before Robb could catch her for lunch.

During the whole three hours meeting, he's already giving her secret looks; Looks that speaks only to her. Despite of what happened last night or this morning, she is not ready to confront with it just yet.

'It's not running away', she tells herself, 'It's call a little space.'

Suddenly, she remembers that she's still in her office. She have to leave before he comes for her.

Running towards her desk, she grab her handbag and walk out to find her secretary standing up from her chair, going through paperwork in a hurry. Walking up behind her, she says, "Lena."

"Ah!" Her secretary jumps and turns around to see Katelyn. "Oh, Miss Hawthorne. You startled me," she lightly chuckles as she puts a hand over her heart.

"Cancel all my appointments this afternoon. I'm not coming back to the office."

Before she could leave, Lena step in her way, raising her hands to stop her track. "Miss Hawthorne, Massimo Carandini called here."

Katelyn's eyes widen. "Massimo Carandini?! What does he want?"

Massimo Carandini is one of her biggest clients. Half of the company is still possible due to his business and connections. Without him, the company would have completely gone bankrupt. And even when he knows the hotel company is going down, he still stays and tries to help as much as he could.

"His secretary just called me and told me he's waiting for you in the conference room."

Now that is more of a surprise. 

Katelyn nods, trying not to show herself panicking. "All right. I'll go see him. You can leave after you finish up your work."

Lena grins and nods. "Thank you, Miss Hawthorne."

Hastily, Katelyn jogs to the conference room, not before stopping and fix herself up a bit. She plasters a smile and open the swinging door to the room. Standing by the head of the conference table is a tall male figure, his back facing her.

Walking toward him, she speaks, "Mr. Carandini. I am sorry. I didn't know you were going to come—" She stop her track when the person turns around and reveal himself. "Robb?"

"Me," he says mockingly in return, smirking at her.

She knew something was off when Lena said Massimo was in the conference room. She should had suspected that is just not how Massimo is. Massimo would only ever call if it's urgent, let alone a face-to-face talk. She only meet him if she go visit the branch in Europe.

 Maybe that is what threw her off, especially when the man in front of her now had been distracting her the whole morning. 

Katelyn glares at him, crossing her arms. "You called my secretary, didn't you?"

"No, of course not." Robb shakes his head as he paces towards her, still showing her his smile shines with dimples. "My assistant called your secretary."

She reach a hand out and stop him at arm's length. "How did you know I would come meet Massimo Carandini?"

He smiles arrogantly and shrugs. "Well, I know Massimo Carandini is one of your biggest client and you wouldn't want to disappoint him by not meeting him."

He got that right for sure. After everything Massimo did for her family, she wouldn't want to get on his bad side.

Katelyn narrow her eyes. "You're very cunning, you know that?"

"When it comes for me making you come out of hiding, then yes, I am." He suddenly grabs her and tug her, making her whole body bump on his solid chest. "Come, Katelyn, have lunch with me."

She pushes him, trying to get out of his grasp. "Robb!"

He tightens his grip on her arm. "It's really important." Then he loosen his grasp when he realizes he might be too harsh. "We need to talk. Please," he pleads, putting his other hand gently to her other arm.

And like before, she find herself speechless as she looks up to his mesmerizing blue eyes.

He's giving her that look, as if she's the only person in the world who matters.

Suddenly, she feels like the Katelyn before, weak and the need for love. And Robb is here, who may be willing to give to her if she ask for it. That is the one thing she doesn't know, if he really wants to be with her because of her or because he feels guilt and sympathy for her.

Before she knew it, she replies, "OK, I'll go."

**********************************

The ride is long, maybe for almost an hour or two. They are mostly surrounded by the new spring trees on each side of the road. Normally, she would be nervous, especially after what happened to her the last time when she travel down along the trees.

But with Robb, she doesn't feel any nervousness. She knows she shouldn't trust him, but she can't help feeling that he won't hurt her. So far since his promise, he hasn't, not physically at least.

They come to a stop at a parking lot with a couple cars in it.

It wasn't until she got out of the car and look around that she realized they were in the Hudson River Valley.

"Why did you bring me here? I thought we're having lunch," she asks, closing the car door and gaze over the the open field in front of them.

"We are," he says coming around behind her. She turns to find him holding a big classic picnic basket. "See?" He smiles and hand her the basket.

She takes the basket from him as he open the car door behind the passenger and pull out a maroon blanket. Locking the car, then he gesture her to follow him and she does.

"You know I can't be here long. I have to go back to work," she lies as they stop under a tree and Robb setting up the blanket.

"No, you don't," he smirks and takes the basket from her. "I heard you said you're not planning to go back in the office for the rest of the day."

Katelyn blushes, then cross her arms and huffs, "Other than, dragging a woman against her will, you eavesdrops too?"

"I don't need to eavesdrop. You speak loud enough for me to heard her from the conference room," he says, sitting down on the blanket before patting the spot next to him for her.

Instead of sitting next to him, she sits opposites him, "I guess do need this fresh air." 

Robb nods also taking in the fresh cool air. It's nothing like Australia, but it's very cool nice air. Then he opens the basket and start to assemble some sandwiches. "You were stressed out. I just thought that you may need a break from work and the city."

Katelyn take in a breath of the fresh pine of spring. "It is pretty peaceful."

Robb smile at the sight of her body relaxes. It seems like years since he last her this calm and smile. She look so serene that he almost thought it's only a dream.

"You know, you're like me just now," he says as handed her a sandwich.

Katelyn frowns before taking a bite of the sandwich. "What do you mean?"

Robb give her a half smile. "We're so used to the quiet and sounds of nature like back at the isle. But now we're in the city, we couldn't get any peace or relax until we got here."

Katelyn scoffs. "Don't assume it." As she another bite of her sandwich, she continues, "Just so you know, every night I spent in that cold room of yours, I had never slept tight."

"Really?" Robb chuckles as he stares at her amusedly. "But from what I remember, you slept very well."

Katelyn also crosses her arms and leans towards Robb. "And how would you know that?"

"If drooling and snoring in your sleep means that you did not had a good night sleep, then I don't know what you call that." He winks.

"I didn't snore!" She gasps and snaps back to her position. "You're the one who snores."

Robb only laughs even more as she tries to glare at him to prevent her smile. He continues on and makes more sandwiches.

Although, she do know that she does snores. Kristine told her all the time, even when they used to share rooms together.

The thought of Kristine surprisingly doesn't hurt as much. Because last night when she decided to take a step back. She realized she could not force Robb to forgive Kristine if he doesn't want to. Even then, she wants to cut personal ties with him. 

But why am I still here with him? she ask herself. And she doesn't really know the answer to that. 

"You said you have something to tell me," she says after taking a sip from a water bottle. 

"I told my mother..." Robb says softly before looking at Katelyn straight in the eyes. "About us."

The shock of Katelyn's face is inevitable, but she also look worried. 

What is going on through her mind? he wonders. 

What could he have told his mother? she wonders. Their relationship to each other? The kidnapping? 

What he doesn't know, she is discreetly worry that if their secrets comes out, what would happen to him? 

Blinking her eyes, she cautiously asks, "Including..."

Robb nods, confirming her unanswered question. "The stalking to the kidnapping to now."

Katelyn gapes at Robb, deadpanned.

She couldn't believe it.

Out of all people, he told his own mother. Or she rather thought that he will keep their secret among themselves.

If anyone were to find out, they would never see past the image that's already portray in front of them; He kidnapped her and that is enough for people to conclude everything. And that is one reason why she chose not to tell anyone of her disappearance. No one will understand their predicament.

"What did she said?" She finally breathes out.

Shaking his head, he lightly chuckles and look away. "She was heartbroken. She could barely even look at me now."

He could remember the painful and tearful look in her eyes when he confessed. All she does is cry as he told her how he forced Katelyn into hard labor, including all the attempt assaults.

He could still hear her cries, asking him, 'How could you do this to the woman your brother love?'. He didn't understand himself at the time too; How could he did such a thing?

His mother didn't say much afterward. She got up and left him alone in his condo, just like the last time.

This will be another drift between them.

She probably won't even talk to him for the next six months, maybe even years to come. And he will be alone again.

"I'm sorry, Robb," Katelyn's sweet voice broke through the fog, bringing him back to reality.

He shakes his head. "No, I'm the one who should be sorry." He reach for her hands and cradling it. "I acted without thinking. None of this is your fault." 

And she wanted to ask more what happened afterwards, but couldn't bring herself to form any words. He already seems down. Just talking about this makes him feel down even more. 

"Robb... Why are you telling me this?"

"I want to be sincere with you, Katelyn," he says, finally turning back to face her. "I don't want this to be a burden for us."

"Us?" 

Robb rolls his eyes. "Don't, Katelyn," he says affirmably and hold onto her hand tightly, afraid that she will leave. "Don't act like there's nothing between us. You know full well, we're no longer more than acquaintances."

Biting her bottom lip, she nods, looking down, unable to face his hypnotic blue eyes. It's the sadness in his eyes is what makes her weak. Somehow they were able to break her walls and make her want him more. 

But how could she when she is a reminder of Henry's death? And that is what hurts the most, she realizes. He may never fully accept her for having the spitting image of her sister. 

"If you want to be sincere with me, tell me," she pauses then raise her head up, staring at his blue eyes. "Can you forgive Kristine?"

Without hesitation, he replies, "If it means to be by your side, then I will try."

Katelyn's face strains as tears threaten to fall. Then she shakes her head and pull her hand away from his grasp. "I don't want you to do it because of me. I want you to do it because you want to." She stands and walk towards the open grass field, knowing he will follow. "One day when this matter comes up again, you will blame me for forcing this upon you."

He reach for her right arm, stopping her tracks. "No. Never." 

But she is not convince. He said that now, but he doesn't know. 

"Everything would be easier if you let me go," she says as he comes around and stands in front of her. He place two fingers under her chin and lift up her face to meet his. "But how could you? You're an angry man," she continues as he traces the outline of her lips with his thumbs. "Who made you like this?"

For a while. he didn't answer. His focus is on her face. The only thing in his mind is how to brush away the sadness from it. Then he answers. "Fate. Everything."

"Of course," she nods, closing her eyes and silently let the tears fall. "We blame the world for our mistakes." She sniffs as the tears continues and Robb brushing them away tenderly. "I blame myself for trying too hard to be a great daughter for my father, and look what happened." 

And father still loves Kristine more than me, she says to herself. 

"Katelyn, I could never change what happened. I could never bring back Henry or Kristine. I could never go back and stop myself from taking you, hurting you." He leans down and whispers to the her right ear. "But what I can do is stopping you from getting hurt anymore than you are now. I cannot stand and watch you suffer all alone."

Katelyn lightly push him back. "I'm not hurting." 

Robb shakes his head and grab both of her arms, making her face him. "Don't lie, Katelyn. I seen it in your face all the time. You're still holding onto something." 

There's still many things she's holding onto. She told him already that she's willing to take a step back from being cold to him, but any other problems she have is only her own. 

Then the thought of all of it makes her begin to sob. Robb gently hold her as she fall onto her knees. He got down onto his knees too and holds her as she cries in his warm arms. 

"It's all right, Katelyn," he coos and brushes her hair with his hands. 

There's no one around, not even the paparazzi were able to follow them today. So Katelyn continues to cry in his arms, clutching on his shirt. 

This whole time since she had been back, she haven't been able to tell anyone her pains and sufferings. No one would understand what she is going through. 

She hadn't told anyone, though they were willing to listen, but they can't know that damage side of her, or how messed up she really is. 

There is Robb, the only person she tried to push away, is here, waiting to listen and share the pain with her. Then that's when she realizes what she is to him, and what he is to her. 

It's down right crazy and sick, but since it already happen, she decide to let it flow. 

Finally, she whispers, "My father doesn't love me... Kristine was raped two weeks before she killed herself." 

She felt it when his whole body froze. Although she could still feel the warmth of his body, it's almost as if he is not there too. 

And for the first time ever, he have no words to response. 

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

2M 45K 52
I was forced into a marriage of my parent's choosing. Strapped down and saddled to a man who only cared about himself. I couldn't force myself out of...
41.5K 1.5K 14
- 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑 Madeline Lee finds herself forced into the once thing she swore she'd never do: marriage or - 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑 Madeline Lee finds h...
286K 11.8K 49
Ellison Kefalas is the sole heir to the Kefalas Media & News business. He is also New York's number 1 playboy, and has never been in a committed rela...
90.6K 2.7K 25
two enemies trapped in a forced marriage are they really forced or are they willing " But I asked daddy and he said they did not force you, in fact...