Dancing Under the Moonlight

By Joseph_is_Daddy

JosCarl ABO AU Where Joseph is a rich nobleman trying to find his muse, and Aesop's a simple commoner trying... More

Info!!!!
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21(End)
Epilogue UwU
Extra 1: Jacknaib

Chapter 2

1K 46 20
By Joseph_is_Daddy

The sound of crackling ember of the fireplace fills the quiet room, every once in a while a rustle and the sound of turning pages could be heard. The room is dim, lit just enough for the figure inside to read the book grasped in his hands.

A man sits in a large, red armchair, silver hair let loose and drapes over his shoulders. He wears a white dress shirt unbuttoned at the top and black slacks. His icy-blue eyes scan the pages as he seats one leg over the other, one hand twirling his silver locks.

An exquisite silver wolf mask rests on his lap, as well as an elegant cane, with a wolf head perched on top, that stood next to the armchair. A tall black top hat stands upright on one of the large tables in the room.

A knock echoes in the room and a female voice could be heard from the other side, "May I come in, Moonlight?"

The man, Joseph Desaulniers or more widely known as the Moonlight Gentleman, sets the old novel he was reading aside. He picks up the silver wolf mask on his lap and places it on his nose.

The silver wolf mask now rests elegantly on the bridge of his nose, a signature of the infamous Moonlight Gentleman. A man whose riches and power are only beneath the King's, whose icy blue eyes strike fear into the hearts of the people, and who's known as the deceitful wolf.

"Come in."

A young woman dressed in a gorgeous red and black gown steps into the room, heels clicking against the floor with every step she makes. A golden crown rests on her head, a prized heirloom from their mother. An elegant mask with red and black tear stains cover her face from the world, and only her icy blue eyes are revealed through the tear-stained sockets of her mask.

A blood-red lace necklace littered with rubies chokes her delicate neck as she cranes her neck to scan the room. Her eyes finally settle on the white-clad male and elegantly walks over.

"What do you want, dear sister?" Joseph asks as he glances at her, folding his hands neatly in his lap.

"I'm here to remind you that the noble gathering is today, Brother. I presume you have forgotten, haven't you?" the lady, Mary as they call her, chuckled.

"Ahh, yes... with the coming of the bitter winter, my work has gotten the best of me. My apologies for that," Joseph answered as he hummed at her direction.

"Enough moping around, we must make haste. I've heard Count's Soiree had made quite an entrance bringing over a very large feast for the gathering," Mary urged as she saw her brother didn't make any moves to stand up.

"Well that's oddly peculiar of him, he must've been in a good mood," Joseph stared in surprise. Usually Count's Soiree would never go out of his way for anyone.

"I think so too. I've also got you your invitation to the Iron Commander's courting ceremony next month. We should go and rejoice on their special day," Mary stated as she saw her brother stand up and dust off his clothes.

"Very well, I shall find the time to do so," Joseph replied as he picked up his top hat from the large table.

"Then let's go, shall we? We shouldn't keep the others waiting."

Joseph nods and rises from his seat. He grabs the expensive gold-embroidered black coat and puts on the black top hat. He takes one last look at a nearby golden framed mirror, cold icy blue eyes stare back at him. He grabs his cane.

"Let's."

The two stride out of the reading room, taking long strides through the halls. Large tinted mosaic windows loom over the pair, decorative saint statues cast their melancholic gazes at the two as they pass over. Chandeliers hand on the ceiling, the crystals reflecting the ray of the sun, lighting the beautiful paintings of angels and deities that cover the ceiling of the Moonlight Manor.

Large wooden door open at the end of the hallway and a big bulky man greets them in a cold and poised manner and leads them to a carriage waiting by the gigantic iron gates. The carriage was made of birch wood with gold engravings, the back of the carriage is decorated with the gold engravings of an iris, the crest of the household. Two large steeds, one as black as the night and the other as white as snow stand waiting for a command.

The gargantuan man opens the carriage door for the two nobles to step in. The inside of the carriage is decorated with crystals that cover the walls and velvety soft red seats. A small curtained window separates them from the coach. Another two windows are located at each side of the seats, giving the passengers a perfect view of the nature that surrounds the Desaulnier manor.

"Where to?" A gruff voice calls from the other side of the curtain.

"The Count's manor, Leo, and make it quick. We are late for the gathering."

"Right, Sir."

The sound of a whip cracking could be heard followed by thunderous neighs and the carriage starts to move along the path. Birch trees are aligned in a neat row along the path to the Moonlight Manor, Joseph had always found it nice and soothing to walk amongst the trees. Ever so often Leo's daughter would come over to tend to the trees and the gardens of the manor, she has done a great job in doing so.

The birch trees start to gradually decrease as they near the town. Colorful stone and wood building could be seen decorating the street. The laughter of children could be heard from afar. Colorful flags and banners decorate the streets and lamp posts, the people are preparing for the arrival of the elite market day festival. Joseph could see shop vendors setting up their stalls, he could see a young woman in a purple dress with puffy sleeves stack empty glass bottles on shelves and across her, he could see the gardener wave at the carriage before happily going back to set up hers with the help of another woman.

The carriage made its way down the streets and into a dense forest away from the town. A stone path could be seen leading to large gothic manor on top of a hill surrounded by a gigantic black barbed wire gate, intimidating enough to scare off anyone that comes across it. The large gates are opened by the guards that stand by to let the carriage in. Joseph could see 5 other carriages and their respective steeds and coaches next to each other. A blood-red one with butterfly engravings, a dark green one with red outlines, an oak wood one with deer antlers as decoration on front, a royal blue one with white pattens and a gothic black one.

Leo stops the carriage by the blood-red carriage and opens the door. Joseph steps out and holds out his hand to help his sister out. The Queen of Hearts gracefully climbs out of the carriage, careful not to step on her gown. Leo bows to them and a butler that was waiting by the door gestures for them to follow him.

The butler leads them through a path of winding staircases and hallways, illuminated by the glowing torches on the stone walls, it truly gives off a frightening aura. Joseph has to praise the Count for his wonderful interior designing. The butler stops before two large oak doors with silver handles and opens them. He steps aside and bows to the pair as they enter the room and closes the door behind them.

Inside the room was a truly magnificent display of food and drinks that could feed an entire village, but nothing is too extravagant for the Count's Soiree. He could see different types of poultry dishes, from fragrant orange chicken to roasted turkey, steak cooked to perfection, the juicy redness of the medium-rare meat still steaming on a hot stone platter, and the star of the feast, seared vension backstrap, and head coated in rich blackberry sauce. To top it off was a bottle of century-old red wine.

Seated at the table are the rest of the nobles. A tall lady in a beautiful oriental black dress that clings onto her left shoulder, her right shoulder and upper arm covered in various tattoos, her face is covered by an intimidating red demon mask with four long horns and a big snarl. She holds a blood-red fan to cover her mouth, her piercing black eyes focused on another man she is chatting.

The man had a large brown cloak on, his hair covered by the large hood. Golden eyes trained on the woman, his face covered by a black mask with many eye sockets, but only two are used. They talk about the latest issue regarding the lands around the coast.

Next to them, a man with fiery red dreadlocks and a black suit with an open collar at the top undershirt, talks to another man, his face covered by a lizard mask with red shimmering ruby scales, and only his blue eyes beneath could be seen through the open slits. Said man sports a black fur coat and white silk tunic with red markings underneath. His head is covered by a dear head, his prized wild game recreated by wax and cloth with large gold antlers, ghastly pale eyes stare from their sockets.

Together they make plans to go hunt for some wild game in the forest surrounding the Soiree Manor. And the man behind all this sits away from the others, blood-red coat clings onto his figure over a white undershirt that hugs his built figure and black tie. The simple white mask over his face, midnight black eyes staring into nothingness as he sips his glass of wine.

Joseph cleared his throat, "My, my... you've outdone yourself this time Count."

The man in the blood-red suit gives out a deep chuckle.

"Well, this is my soiree, after all, Moonlight."

Joseph takes a seat next to the Count's Soiree and the Queen of Hearts seats next to the other woman.

The Count clears his throat, "Now that we're all here, we can start the meeting."

"Today we will discuss property ownership. I've heard that both Blood Fan and Poseidon has decided to share ownership over the lands by the coast of Matra Sea."

The lady in the oriental dress nods, "The lands there are very large indeed. I and Poseidon have agreed to take half and half of the land. I am opting to build a fishery there. The amount of tuna has increased these past weeks therefore I can make quite a lot of profit."

The brown-hooded man agrees, "The number of fish in the Matra Sea has been increasing by quite drastic amounts, at this point, it would be wise to set up a fishery."

"We are expecting quite a large profit from this investment. You all better step up your game," Blood Fan cackles.

"The gold mine I own is doing me far better than you little fishery will ever take you, Blood Fan," the man with the ruby mask hisses.

"I thought you only bought that mine to get closer to that little miner, Red Scales," the man in the deer mask shakes his head, large antlers shaking from side to side.

"Originally I did, I'd waste millions just to see my little Campbell. I was purely lucky the mine was filled to the brim with gold and precious stones," Red Scales laughs.

"Hunt, how about you? I've heard the logging business has been booming lately."

Hunt nods in satisfaction, "The demand for high-quality paper and wood for the new accommodations of the migrants are increasing drastically, I'm afraid the amount of trees my workers replanted aren't growing fast enough. Therefore, I've bought another plot of forest a bit further away from Hunt Manor."

Queen of Hearts clears her throat, "I have set up a large textile factory near the Moonlight Manor. Thankfully, the high-quality fabric has attracted quite a lot of named tailors and boutiques. My stock has been emptying up by the second they're refilled."

"How about you, Moonlight."

"After doing some reading of the map, I've found an unnamed forest far east of the Moonlight Manor. It's quite a big one, twice the size of the Soiree Woods. However, I'm not looking for a logging business, I was thinking of something in the transport faction. Perhaps a railway station with the new steam trains, much faster than horses and carriages. I've gotten in contact with the train manufacturers and they've agreed to do so and the resources for making the rails could be found by mining around the area. I was thinking we could visit it after the gathering, Count," Joseph answered as he sipped his glass of wine.

"My, that's such an ambitious goal, Moonlight. I'd be happy to join you. I can see that your business will be the talk of the country. How far are you planning to make the tracks?" the Count asks as his lips tilt upwards at the idea.

"Money from my textile company is enough to extend the railways all over the country, but with the help of my logging company, I can extend it to France. It'll be nice to finally go back home," Joseph heaves a small chuckle.

"Wonderful! How about your other businesses, Brother?" The Queen sips her wine.

"The fishery and the mining company, as well as the jewelers and my investment in the local hospital and farmlands, are doing quite well. I won't have to worry about any of them going out of business anytime soon."

"Incredible. At this point, none of us can catch up." Red Scales whines.

The Count guffaws, "Enough of the chit chat, the food's getting cold!"

-----

After the meal, all of the nobles rise from their seats and head to the exit.

"That was a great meal, Count! Truly divine! I'll have to leave, my mate is calling for me through the bond and wants a jar of pickles? I'm sorry to cut our night short, I will see you in the next gathering, farewell," Hunt leaves for the brown carriage.

"I have to prepare my kimono for the elite market day. I bid my farewell, " Blood fan climbs into her red carriage.

"I'm going to visit the northern mines, farewell lady and gentlemen," Red Scales jumps onto his and rides off.

"I'm going to head home first, I'll see you there, brother," The Queen of Hearts steps into the white carriage and Leo drives her off.

"Well let's get going shall we, Count?"

Joseph steps inside the gothic black carriage. Inside, the walls are decorated with white pearls and crystals, black lace curtains cover the windows and the cushions are soft and covered in black dyed silk. Joseph takes a seat and opens the curtain that separates them and the coach, he tells the coach the directions.

"Head to the Moonlight Manor and travel straight to the east through the birch wood forest and travel through the hills. A large clearing covered in flowers of various colors and shapes lies beyond those hills. Go straight ahead and you'll see a large oak forest. Stop there."

The coach says nothing and the sound of a whip cracking tears through the silence of the afternoon and soon the carriage starts to move.

"So, how did you find the forest again, Moonlight?"

"I bought a map from that famous explorer, Kurt Frank, was it? The map turned out to be far more detailed than the old one I had, but I just had the initiative to pick it up just today. A shame."

The carriage passes through the hills and into a clearing as Joseph said they would. The clearing was indeed beautiful. Joseph could see many different kinds of flowers he recognizes, and many he didn't. He could see red tulips, Lily of the Valleys, honeysuckles, forget-me-nots, and many, many yellow roses.

Joseph looks out and smiles to himself, it reminds him of the clearing near his home back in France where he, Mary and his twin brother, Claude would play all the time. Suddenly, his face turns sour and he yanks the lace curtains close. The Count looks at him in surprise but chooses not to say anything as they continue their journey in silence.

The coach stops the carriage in front of the big oak forest like Joseph had told him to. He opens the door for the two gentlemen to step out. The Count steps out of the carriage and stretches his long limbs and takes a deep breath of the fresh air. Joseph quietly gets out and takes in the air. It smells like a mixture of the different expensive perfumes he owns, albeit not strong and pungent, but soft and relaxing.

Joseph stands in front of the forest, trees looming high above him, he couldn't see any sunlight pass through the treetops. The Count lets out a long whistle next to him, "So, what do you suggest we do, Moonlight?"

"Let's go in. Explore the place a bit."

"Very well. After you."

Joseph walks into the forest, cane in hand. He withdraws his long, sharp black claws and starts marking the trees as to not get lost in the forest. Jack walks behind him and proceeds to make small talk, "My, my, I can't believe I never knew this forest existed."

"Considering your lazy bones. I'm not surprised, Count."

"That's rude! Anyways, a little birdie told me our dear Commander found his mate."

" Ah, yes. I've heard it was a beta, a male one at that! Ha! Someone's going to have some roughhousing in the sheets!" Joseph laughs out loud as he grins at the thought.

"A good laugh isn't it, but I'm surprised Iron Commander settled down with a beta especially with the fling he had with that pretty omega dancer," the Count stated as he caressed a few leaves.

" Yes, she was quite a beauté, but her attitude could rival the circus clowns."

"Indeed, a bitchy whore like all other omegas."

He knows the Count had bad experiences with omegas, he had an ex-lover who was an omega. All she did was use him for money, power and also in her heats. One day, the Count comes back home to find another man in his bed with his lover. He killed them both, decapitated them, ripped their insides with his long nails and hung their nude bodies on the iron gate.

The two masked men continue their stroll in silence. The Count stops all of a sudden and lifts his white mask. He takes a whiff of air, lips curling upwards, "I smell blood."

Joseph feeling puzzled asks, "Pardon me?"

"I smell the scent of blood around here," the Count looks around while taking small, but deep whiffs of the surrounding air.

"Strange, why would there be blood around here? Did an animal die?"

The taller man turns back to his partner with a big grin on his lips.

"Perhaps, I can smell the stench of a dead deer."

Joseph takes a whiff of the air and starts walking to the direction on the stench. He walks closer and closer to a nearby brush. Footsteps slow, but sure. All of a sudden he catches another scent. Yellow Roses. Joseph walks closer and closer, the scent getting stronger and stronger.

Finally, he stops behind a tree where the scent starts to overpower his senses. The stong sweet fragrant of yellow roses mixed with cinnamon smells so addicting. He wants more of it. He wants to bottle it preserve the delicious scent. He takes a deep breath of air, the smell overpowering, strong and sweet. Joseph is addicted. His eyes flash red with possessiveness and want. All of a sudden he senses a movement. He looks up to see a figure running deeper and deeper into the woods. The small frame covered by a gray tunic, silver-gray hair tied in a small ponytail and the smell of yellow roses and cinnamon following the figure, getting fainter and fainter as he runs deeper and deeper into the forest.

Joseph stands. Eyes wide and blown. He goes behind the tree and takes a long, deep sniff. The scent is there. Yellow roses and cinnamon. Joseph vows to find the scent. Even if he has to kill the entire town just to get his precious little bird.

If I cannot have you,

then no one can.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.8K 2.3K 49
tw⚠⚠: modern!au and omegaverse!au Being a 26 years old omega was tough for kakyoin. as other omegas should have a mate at the age 18 so they can help...
2.6K 103 1
a #BossNoeul oneshot ABO au wherein - lee noeul (o) is the pampered son of the most well-known chaebol in South Korea. however, despite his reputatio...
10.7K 73 12
[OPEN REQUESTS] "why are you running from me, sweetheart?" ⋆ ˚。⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。⋆ yandere jujutsu kaisen x reader oneshots cover art made by @_3aem on X/twitt...
29.5K 2.1K 20
Jimin is the heir to a booming family business. He was due to take control of the company on his thirtieth birthday in six months, but his grandfathe...