Never Make A Promise

By allise_K

Hayley Davidson was taken away from her father by her mother when she was five years old. He promised she wou... More

Never Make A Promise
Never Make A Promise 2
Never Make A Promise 3
Never Make A Promise 4
Never Make A Promise 5
Never Make A Promise 6
Never Make A Promise 8
Never Make A Promise 9
Never Make A Promise 10
Never Make A Promise 11
Never Make A Promise 12
Never Make A Promise 13
Never Make A Promise 14
Never Make A Promise 15
Never Make A Promise 16
Never Make A Promise 17
Never Make A Promise 18
Never Make A Promise 19
Never Make A Promise 20
Never Make A Promise 21
Never Make A Promise 22
Never Make A Promise 23
Never Make A Promise 24
Never Make A Promise 25
Never Make A Promise 26
Never Make A Promise 27
Never Make A Promise 28
Never Make A Promise 29
Never Make A Promise 30
Never Make A Promise 31
Never Make A Promise 32
Never Make A Promise 33
Never Make A Promise 34
Never Make A Promise 35
Never Make A Promise 36
Never Make A Promise 37
Never Make A Promise 38
Never Make A Promise 39
Never Make A Promise 40
Never Make A Promise 41
Never Make A Promise 42 part 1
Never Make A Promise 42 part 2
Never Make A Promise 43
Never Make A Promise 44
Never Make A Promise 45
Never Make A Promise 46
Never Make A Promise epilogue

Never Make A Promise 7

23K 320 32
By allise_K

Okay, so for sure I will be uploading every three days. It's just easier for me that way. Hope that's not too long for you all.

We've been done with dinner for half an hour. HALF AN HOUR! WHY WERE WE STILL SITTING HERE? I was screaming in my head while the adults were in a chatter with each other. Damon seemed to be just as bored as I was, but he played it off pretty well by flirting with any cute waitress or girl that walked by. I swear, he got at least fifty numbers by the time he noticed how many times I had rolled my eyes. I had done that every time a girl gave into his 'charm' and gave him their number.

"He's not going to call," I would sing when they walk by me, which only earned me a glare, but hey! It's the truth. I bet that Damon would only call one out of all of those girls, if even that many.

"Do you think I ENJOY being this attractive?" he asked, stuffing the most recent number in his pocket.

"I actually think you do," I said. "I mean, I have NO idea where I get that idea from."

"Are you being sarcastic?"

"Oh my god, is- is that obvious?" I asked, eyes wide open. He narrowed his eyes at me.

"A little bit, yes."

"Well good," I smirked, taking a sip of my drink.

"You know, I actually find these girls annoying," he said. I nearly choked on my drink.

"Please!" I said, after clearing my throat a couple times.

"What? You don't believe I don't like the attention?"

"I really don't believe you don't like the attention," I said.

"Well, believe it babe," he said. A chill went through me when he called me babe. Not one of those creeped out chills, but......never mind. It was NOT one of those chills. EW! Okay well, not EW exactly, but......ugh again, never mind.

"Yeah, okay," I said instead.

"So, anyone ever tell you that you don't look anything like your mom?" he asked.

"Uh, yeah, we've gotten that," I muttered.

"Do you look more like your dad?"

"Anyone tell you that you look a lot like your aunt?" I asked quickly, hoping to make him change the topic.

"Eh, she looks like my mom. I mean, it makes sense they were sisters," he answered. Thank you, I thought.

"Speaking of your mom, how does your aunt have the same last name?"

"Huh?"

"When Chris saw your aunt, he asked her if it was back from Smith to Brent," I said.

"Oh, she married my dad for a while after my mom died. They recently got divorced."

"You forgot to mention that when you were spilling your guts the other day," I said.

"It's kind of hard to get eighteen years worth of information all out in a couple of minutes," he said. I sighed and looked over at the adults to see if they were done talking. They didn't even look CLOSE to it.

"So, where are your dad and little brother?" I asked Damon.

"At home. Michelle just wanted to take me out tonight. Her and dad thought I was 'suffering' more than Larry and they thought it would help for her to talk to me," he said.

"You did lose your mom. Were you close?"

"She was practically my best friend," he said, staring at his fingers on the table. I stayed quiet. I knew what he was going through. I lost my own mom when I was little, but she and I never got to be that close. She was always gone working or out on dates. The little time we had together was the time we spent talking and that wasn't much time.

"Where's your dad?" he asked.

"That's really nice of your aunt," I said, referring to her bringing him out to talk to him.

"Why do you keep dodging the topic of your dad?" he asked. I looked at Joyce to hopefully get her attention and her help, but she was way too distracted. Wow, these guys must have been the best of friends in high school. "Hayley."

"Damon," I said. He looked into my eyes and I looked away.

"What happened with your dad?" he asked.

"Oh my god, I don't think I could laugh anymore. Oh, look at the time! We better get out of here," Joyce exclaimed. I exhaled. About time she came in and saved me.

"We better get going too, Damon. Your dad's probably wondering where you are," Michelle said.

"Yeah I can tell by the many times he's called," Damon mumbled. His aunt shook her head and stood up.

"It was nice seeing you two again," she smiled. Joyce and Chris stood up too.

"Great seeing you again too, Michelle," Joyce said, hugging her.

"We need to do this again sometime," Chris said.

"Most definitely," Michelle said. The three of them exchanged numbers and said their goodbyes. I stood up while they were, turned, and nearly fell backward from bumping into Damon. He grabbed my upper arms and steadied me.

"I'll talk to you later, then," he said, hanging on longer than he should have. Not that I didn't like it......you know what, scratch that, I just wanted to get out of there.

"I promise I will-" Joyce began. I looked away. The one saying I hated most. Damon gave me a curious look. I didn't realize Joyce was giving me nervous side glances before she continued. "I'll call," she smiled. Chris and Michelle both looked at me curiously before Michelle smiled again and nodded at Joyce.

"Alright then, see you later. Nice meeting you, Hayley!" Michelle called to me.

"Yeah you too!" I returned.

"See you later," Damon mumbled, letting me go and leaving with his aunt. I turned and looked at Joyce and Chris.

"Let's go Hayley," Joyce said, holding her hand out to me. I walked toward her and she put her hand on my shoulder.

"Sorry about that," she mumbled to me.

"Don't worry about it," I mumbled back. She squeezed my shoulder and smiled. She, Chris, and I walked out to the car and drove back home in silence. Joyce showed Chris to the guest room, which was right next to her room. They looked at each other for a while and said good night at least a thousand times before they finally went into their rooms. Wonder what's going to happen between those two. If Chris didn't make a move, I was going to have to help him out. I entered my room, changed into pajamas and plopped face-down on my bed. I wanted to sleep, but not being tired was preventing me from doing so. Giving up, I turned my bedside lamp on and began reading Pride and Prejudice. I just got to the part where Elizabeth met Mr. Darcy for the first time and what her impression of him was. Why did Damon come to mind when he was being described? Maybe because they were both arrogant as ever. Remember how the story ends, I thought. Remember how some love stories begin. No, this wasn't a love story. Damon was annoying, arrogant, nosy, cocky, and....and that's how all these guys were in the beginning. That's how all the girls saw them, but ended up falling head over heels for themm anyway. Elizabeth did with Darcy, Bella did with Edward, Rose and Jack at first and it happened a lot in movies. Would that be how Damon and I end up? No Hayley, I thought. He would almost definitely use the 'p' word with you and I don't want that. He would........'p' word to stay with me, then we would leave me and break that 'p' word. All 'p' words were. It's like that saying "rules were meant to be broken." Well, with me, promises were meant to be broken.

I woke up the next morning with my book marked by a book mark and closed on my bedside table, my lamp off, and my blankets drawn up to my chin. I must have fell asleep while reading and Joyce must have come in here and tucked me in. It kind of made me feel like a little girl again. How whenever I fell asleep doing something, I'd always wake up the next morning all tucked in my bed. She couldn't do that anymore. I sighed and got up out of bed. I walked into my bathroom, brushed my teeth, and went out into the hall only to bump into Chris- in nothing but his boxers. He had a lot of muscles. Blushing, I quickly covered my eyes and looked away.

"Uh....good morning," I said awkwardly.

"Yeah, good morning," he replied, just as awkwardly.

"Chris, do you want your shir- Hayley!" Joyce walked out of her room, coming into my view. She was wearing a Family Guy t-shirt that was for a man, specifically Chris. She turned a little red. I had a case of the musn't laughs.

"I think I'm going to go to my room," I said, backing away and fighting off the laughter. "Carry on with your business." I got in my room, closed the door, looked around, and burst out laughing. I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I knew those two were giving each other those looks. A little sketchy on their first time seeing each other again, but they knew each other from before that. I peeked out in the hall after I had calmed down and saw that the coast was clear, but I waited a little longer before leaving my room. I quietly went downstairs and found Joyce making eggs and bacon in the kitchen, fully dressed. I decided to tease her a bit.

"So!" I exclaimed, making her jump. "Someone had a good night." She looked down, but smiled.

"Shut it," she mumbled.

"Who snuck in who's room?" I asked with a big grin.

"Shh," she laughed. I wagged my eyebrows like a villain.

"Wow you KNOW I know something happened."

"Alright, you know. Don't say anything to him about it, you'll embarrass him."

"Psh, please. I don't know him well enough to tease him about something like this," I grinned. She rolled her eyes, but laughed.

"What am I gonna do with you?"

"A rhetorical question? Because if it's not, I hear that concerts are a good cure."

"Again, you're not going. It's on a school night and those things always end in a riot."

"Not ALL of them, per say," I said, getting some orange juice.

"Who's playing?" she asked. I stayed silent and pressed my lips together. She smiled and nodded. "That's what I thought."

"It's not going to be that bad."

"Again, who's playing?"

"Seether," I mumbled.

"Oh, I love them. When are they coming here?" Chris asked, coming up behind us. I jumped.

"Your turn to surprise me," I muttered. Joyce gave me a killer look and I returned it with an apologetic one. I noticed Chris blushing. I took a sip of my orange juice and looked at Joyce.

"She's just kidding, Chrissy," Joyce said. I spit out the orange juice and coughed. I pressed my lips together and cleared my throat. Chris and Joyce were both looking embarrassed and Joyce really looked like she regretted calling him that. Deciding that they should be alone, I excused myself and went upstairs to call Jordan.

"Yellow?" he answered.

"Yellow?" I repeated.

"Hey Hayls," he said. "What's up?"

"Eh, not much. Just wondering if you wanted to do something today," I said.

"Me and Seth were actually gonna hang out today. You wanna come with?"

"Sure, sure," I said. Hanging with Seth and Jordan. There was something fun. It would be fun, but at the same time they would do SOMETHING that would get us into trouble.

"Okay, I will pick you up in half an hour then," he said.

"I'll be ready," I said. We hung up and I began getting ready. No need to look fancy today, I thought, grabbing a pair of jeans, a bright blue tank top and a black zip up hoodie. I got ready and yanked on my Converse and sat by on my window seat. Jordan would be here in about ten minutes.

"Hayley?" Joyce said from the other side of the door. I sprinted to the door and opened it for her.

"What's up?"

"I just wanted to talk about what happened downstairs."

"I'm so sorry! That just kinda took me by surprise, sorry if I made either of you feel bad or embarrassed," I apologized quickly.

"It's okay," she smiled. I heard honking outside. I ran to look out my window and saw....not Jordan's truck. It was a black Toyota Corolla instead. I tilted my head and told Joyce I was going out with Jordan and Seth.

"Have fun," she sang with a smile showing that she knew what I was doing for her.

"You too," I sang back. I ran out to the car and hopped in the front, seeing it was reserved for me.

"Hey Jordan, when did you get a new car?" I asked, shutting the door behind me. I looked next to me on the driver's side and saw him smirking back at me. I looked at him with disbelief. "What are you stalking me now?"

"Please, I was invited," Damon said. I glared in the back seat at Seth and saw right behind me, Jordan sinking down in his seat. They both gave me nervous smiles and waves. I shook my head and faced forward in my seat.

"I hate you all," I said, as the car pulled out of the driveway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I wanna say a quick sorry for taking forever on posting this part. I think I've been trying so hard to end my one other story that I forgot about this one. But I got it up now, and the next part is going to be fun, just saying. Okay, good night all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.1K 409 50
Chao Ci is a fast traveler with excellent performance, and his task is to be the protagonist's licking dog. No one does this kind of thankless job, b...
189K 8.2K 32
Lorelai Wakely's life isn't what it seems to be. She never thought the truth of how she grew up would be so heinous. Now living in a completely diffe...
117K 5.7K 44
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...
44.3K 1.6K 17
Regina wishes to track down her biological father. So, following her eighteenth birthday, she flies from New York to England to look for him, armed o...