Let's Play a Game

By MP13Girl

Adjusting to a new school is hard. Maxynn Chase would know about that better than anyone. When she first ente... More

Let's Play a Game (1)
Let's Play a Game (2)
Let's Play a Game (3)
Let's Play a Game (4)
Let's Play a Game (5)
Let's Play a Game (6)
Let's Play a Game (7)
Let's Play a Game (8)
Let's Play a Game (9)
Let's Play a Game (10)
Let's Play a Game (11)
Let's Play a Game (12)
Let's Play a Game (13)
Let's Play a Game (14)
Let's Play a Game (15)
Let's Play a Game (16)
Let's Play a Game (17)
Let's Play a Game (18)
Let's Play a Game (19)
Let's Play a Game (20)
Let's Play a Game (21)
Let's Play a Game (22)
Let's Play a Game (23)
Let's Play a Game (24)
Let's Play a Game (25)
Let's Play a Game (26)
Let's Play a Game (27)
Let's Play a Game (28)
Let's Play a Game (29)
Let's Play a Game (30)
Let's Play a Game (31)
Let's Play a Game (32)
Let's Play a Game (33)
Let's Play a Game (34)
Let's Play a Game (35)
Let's Play a Game (36)
Let's Play a Game (37)
Let's Play a Game (39)
Let's Play a Game (40)

Let's Play a Game (38)

78.4K 2K 1.7K
By MP13Girl

I stared at myself in the full-length mirror in the dressing room at the church, already in Brianna’s dress and ready to go. I spun around a little, not believing how good I actually looked in it. My scars didn't even look that bad at all. I was definitely going to drive Zach wild in the dress, that was for sure. Even though I was sure I’d drive him even wilder out of it…

I shook my head firmly as my cheeks turned bright red. No, no thinking about that right then. This was not the time to think about our honeymoon or any other time like that. I just had to get through this wedding and everything would be fine.

“Oh, you look beautiful, Maxynn!” Brianna gushed once she made her way inside my dressing room. She looked like she was about to cry, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she hadn’t already. “I was a little tinier than you when I got married, so it fits you perfectly! I’m so glad.”

I smiled at her, turning toward the mirror now to look at myself. I really did look great, which wasn’t something I usually said about myself. This was going to be a good day.

Well, it’d be better if Kate was here. She made me leave her house without her because she wasn’t ready when I was, and I had to get here before Zach did so he wouldn’t see me. I didn’t know if she was here yet or not, but I was sure she wasn’t because she definitely would have come in here to see me if she was.

Brianna left the dressing room now, and I was left alone again. I looked myself up and down in the mirror, ruffling the dress a little bit and playing with my hair. My makeup looked fine, and so did my hair, so I shouldn’t have been freaking out like I was. I just had to stay calm and everything would be fine…

When there was a knock on my door, I jumped in surprise. After soothing out my dress a few times, I called out to whoever was on the other side of the door, “Come in.”

The door opened the reveal Steve, who I wasn’t expecting to see. He came inside the dressing room, shutting the door behind him before making his way closer to me. I blinked at him, not knowing what I was supposed to say to my fiancé’s father.

“Hey, Steve,” I greeted awkwardly, looking down at the jewelry on the dresser beside me.

He said nothing to me at first, and there was a feeling in my stomach that left me wondering what it was. I turned away from him and toward the dresser and the mirror, moving things around a little just to look busy.

“I want to thank you, Maxynn,” he said after a few moments of silence, and it surprised me because I was starting to forget that he was eve in the room with me. I turned back toward him as he said, “Thanks for saving my son… and marrying him. Who knows where he’d be right now if it wasn’t for you?”

I felt myself force a smile, still feeling weird for some reason. “You’re welcome. I love him very much.”

And it was the truth. The first time I had met Zach, I thought that he was charming and attractive. After getting to know him, I found out that he wasn’t the kind of guy I wanted to get involved with so I started to hate him. I never thought I’d get to this point, but here we were now. I was about to marry him and become an official Deveraux.

Steve only stared at me now. “You really do look like your mother.”

I blinked, not knowing what to say to that. Steve used to have a huge crush on my mother. People used to say I looked like my mother all the time, but it stopped after she passed away. Now, people rarely over spoke about her because they either thought I killed her or it was too touchy of a subject.

Steve took a step forward, and for some reason I automatically took a step back. I didn’t know why I started feeling uneasy, but I knew that something wasn’t right.

“I’ll see you out there,” I nodded at him, glancing over toward the door to tell him that I now wanted to be left alone. Something just wasn’t right.

Steve nodded, and then turned away from me and made his way toward the door. I let out a sigh and turned back toward the mirror, but the uneasy feeling hadn’t gone away even though Steve had. What the hell was wrong with me?

I suddenly heard footsteps, causing me to jump in surprise. I spun around, expecting to see someone, but no one was there at all. Was I hearing things, or was someone really walking?

“Steve?” I called out, finding it hard for me to breathe now as I looked around the room for my fiancé’s father. “Is that you?”

There was no response, and I felt my blood run cold. Footsteps were coming from somewhere in that room, and it was in the direction of where Steve had left. It wasn’t outside the room, it was inside. The rooms were soundproof when the doors were closed. Was Steve still there? What was going on?

I turned back toward the mirror, forcing myself to breathe in and out slowly. I just had to calm down. It was probably nothing at all.

When I looked behind me in the mirror, I let out a scream when I saw that someone was standing right behind me and I hadn’t even noticed it.

“Todd!” I gasped, my hand clapping over my heart in surprise. “You scared me!”

He chuckled, shoving his hands into his pockets awkwardly. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to.”

I smiled at him, even though I didn’t know why he was in my dressing room right then. Not that I was bothered by it, but I was still feeling a little worried. I didn’t know why, but I just kept feeling uneasy. I had been feeling this way the entire day, like I knew something was going to go wrong.

“It’s fine, really,” I assured with a smile on my face now. “So, is there something you need?”

Todd said nothing to me at first, his face turning bright red as he reached further down into his dress pants pockets. He looked embarrassed, just like he always did, and I couldn’t help but smile at him again. Todd really was super cute when he acted like this. It made me glad we were friends.

“Maxynn…” Todd frowned, and the mood suddenly changed. “Maxynn, please don’t marry Zach.”

I stared at him, my eyes going so wide that I thought they might have fallen out of their sockets. Was Todd really asking me to do something like this right before I was supposed to walk down the aisle?

“I’m sorry, Todd,” I blinked at him, the look on his face absolutely killing me. “I love Zach, so I’m going to marry him. I really am sorry.”

He took a step toward me now, looking so desperate that it almost broke my heart. I remembered how he had asked me out such a long time ago, and I thought he had gotten over his crush on me. I guess I was wrong.

“But, Maxynn,” he started now, looking nervous over what he was about to say. “I love you.”

I continued to stare at him now, not expecting him to say something like this to me. I really had thought he had gotten over me!

“I’m sorry,” was all I was able to say, turning away from him now and back toward my mirror. “I don’t feel the same way about you, Todd. I’m going to marry Zach.”

I began to fiddle with random things on the dresser in front of me, just so I didn’t have to look at Todd through the mirror in front of me. I wished that he would just leave so he wouldn’t get hurt anymore. I also wished that he would just leave so I’d stop feeling guilty. It wasn’t my fault I was in love with Zach and not him.

“But, Maxynn, you don’t understand…” he muttered now, but I still didn’t turn toward him or look up. “If I can’t have you, no one can.”

I gasped when I felt something cold and sharp suddenly being pressed against my throat, and I looked up to the mirror in surprise to see that it was Todd who was holding the knife there while my back was pressed against his chest.

“Todd!” I nearly shouted. “What are you doing?”

“Something I’ve been trying to do for the past seven months.”

I thought I heard the door open and slam, and Todd heard it as well because he immediately let go of me. We both turned toward the door to see that no one was there, and I honestly thought I was going crazy and hearing things.

I pressed myself up against the dresser, even though I knew that this was not going to get me any farther away from him. He finally turned away from the still closed door and back toward me. I felt my breath catch in my throat.

“It…” I gulped, my throat dry as I tried to register everything I had just learned. “It was you all this time…”

Todd smirked evilly, a look I had never seen on his face before. It was scary, and I couldn’t remember a time where I had been betrayed as horribly as this. Todd had been one of my best friends, and now I was finding out that he had been trying to kill me.

“Yes, it has been me the entire time,” he grinned at me now, and it was one of the most terrifying things I had ever seen in my entire life. “I was the one that set the fire at your house. It was meant to kill you, not your mother. I was the one that pushed you down the stairs, I almost hit you with a car, I was the one who dropped the chandelier… I sent you out into the blizzard to look for Kate and Logan, even though I knew that they were safe. I was the one who kicked and nearly drowned you in your pool. I was the one who hired Tommy and Sid to kidnap and kill you. I blew up your baby doll, and I set fire to Zach’s house. Everything was me, Maxynn. It was all me.”

I couldn’t breathe. I thought I was going to collapse. What was I supposed to do? How could I possibly get out of this safely?

It wasn’t Aveline. It wasn’t Aveline. It wasn’t Aveline who had been trying to kill me. It was Todd. Todd was the one that had been trying to kill me all this time.

“Oh, and this,” he continued now, pulling something else out of his pocket that shined in the light. I thought that it was another knife for a moment, but my jaw dropped when he was slipping my mother’s ring onto my finger. “I took this as well.”

He was the one who took my mother’s ring. He took the ring and then set Zach’s house on fire. Todd was behind everything… all this time.

“Please, Todd…” I begged, only able to stare at the knife as he brought it closer up to my throat once again. “You don’t have to do this. If you just stop, I won’t tell anyone. Just please… don’t do this.”

“I thought I’d give you one more chance,” Todd started, ignoring my desperate pleas. “I thought that if you’d leave that insufferable buffoon for me, I wouldn’t try to kill you any longer. But you decided to stay with him, so now I’m going to have to kill you.”

He swung at me with the knife, but I quickly pushed myself away from the dresser and smashed onto the floor. I looked down at Brianna’s dress that was so long that it hit the floor. This was definitely not something I should have been wearing during something like this.

“I tried to kill you so many times…” Todd began now, making his way over to me slowly. He raised the knife over me again, but I rolled out of the way before he could strike me. “Except the fire escape was all Aveline, so I have to give her props for that. But every single time you almost died, you were able to get out of it. I’ve noticed a pattern. Zach is always there to save you. So I’m almost expecting him to barge right in here to protect you. But if he does, I’m not about to show any mercy. I’ll finally kill him and finally get him out of my way.”

I stared up at him in horror, not knowing what I was supposed to do. I was in a tiny dressing room with a murderer, and every room in the church was soundproof. Would anyone be able to hear me if I screamed?

“I’m surprised you weren’t able to figure out it was me after you were able to get away from those two idiots that I hired,” he continued on now, and I knew he was talking about Tommy and Sid. “Did the big S go right over your head? My last name starts with an S, in case you forgot. You didn’t know that I used one of my father’s company’s warehouses and one of their vans? I guess you’re even stupider than I thought.”

I was breathing heavily now. I remember thinking how Todd’s last name started with an S, but I thought nothing of it back then. I never could have thought that Todd was actually capable of something as horrible as all of this. But I was wrong.

Without even thinking, I shot up and bolted toward the door and into the foyer of the church. If I could make it out of there, or at least into the room where everyone was waiting, I would be safe and Todd would get caught. I just had to find someone.

But before I could get far into the foyer, I felt him step on the dress, and I heard it rip as I collapsed onto the ground. I quickly rolled off of my stomach and onto my back so I could at least see what he was going to do. Instead of lunging at me with the knife like I thought he would do, he instead got on his knees and crawled on top of me, roughly straddling my hips to stop me from moving.

“It’s going to feel so amazing to kill you,” he grinned down at me, pinning both of my hands over my head with only one of his. “I’ve been waiting seven months for this, ever since you rejected me. I’m going to make you wish you thought twice about your decision that day.”

I bit the inside of my lip, shutting my eyes tightly to stop the tears from falling. I couldn’t cry then. I couldn’t show weakness. But even though I was thinking this, all I wanted to do was crawl up into a ball and cry my eyes out.

I opened my eyes just in time to see Todd swinging the knife right at my face, and I let out a shout as I moved my head to the side so he would stab the ground instead. I could feel some of my hair getting caught in the crossfire, but that didn’t matter to me.

“Todd, please stop,” I begged, grabbing onto his wrist once he let go of my hands. “Please don’t do this!”

He continued on, as if he didn’t even hear me. I could feel his hands getting sweaty, and he was growing frustrated from not being able to hit me. I continued to struggle against him, making it harder and harder for him to make any contact with me with the knife.

When the door burst open, we both turned toward it in surprise. My eyes widened when I saw Zach, who immediately slammed the door behind him and took a step forward.

No. He couldn’t be here! Todd said that if Zach got in his way again, he’d kill him as well! I couldn’t let Zach get hurt because of me! He had to get out of here!

“Get off her,” Zach growled, taking another step toward us now. “Get the hell off her right now, freak!”

But Todd didn’t back down. He only smirked once again, raising the knife above my face and swinging it down toward it. I let out a shout, immediately dodging it by yanking my head away. He stabbed the ground, and ended up cutting my cheek and some of my hair as well.

Zach kicked him off before he could swing the knife at me again, and I sat up without knowing what I was supposed to do. Todd had a knife while both Zach and I had nothing. Todd might have looked weak compared to Zach, but I had no idea how strong he was now that I knew everything he had done to me.

“I’m not surprised you came to save her, Deveraux,” Todd grinned like a maniac, standing up and gripping the knife in his hand even tighter. “You’ve saved her every other time I tried to kill her, so why would it be any different now?”

“How did you know what was going on?” I asked, my eyes wide as I stared up at Zach.

He shrugged. “Kate saw you, ran in a panic, and told me.”

I remembered when I thought I heard the door open while I was in the dressing room with Todd. I thought I had just been imagining things, but it was really Kate that had opened the door and then closed it. Right then, I was really thankful that she was late like she always was.

“Late Kate to the rescue,” I found myself muttering now.

“Ah, Kate,” Todd laughed lazily now, and it gave me a sickening feeling. “What a great friend she was to me. She was so nice to me when no one else was, so I just couldn’t do anything to you when she was around because I just couldn’t let her get hurt.”

I didn’t know if I was reading into this or not, but I almost thought that Todd had feelings for Kate. But if that was the case, why was he going after me? He said he was in love with me, so did that mean he liked me more than her?

“But now,” Todd continued now, his light attitude now completely gone. “I’m going to kill both of you and love every second of it.”

Zach glared at the boy before him, but then smirked like he always did. Zach always made me feel so much better, and right then was no different.

Zach pulled his blazer off, letting it hit the floor as he loosened his tie. “Come at me, beanpole.”

Anger flared in Todd’s eyes at the nickname, and he suddenly lunged at the boy who was teasing him. I let out a shout, wanting to jump right in between them but finding I was too weak to even move from my spot on the floor.

Todd swung the knife right for Zach, but he was easily able to dodge it as he punched Todd right in the gut, causing him to double over and cough a few times. I continued to watch now as Todd tried to punch him back instead of stab him, even though it was no use.

Zach kneed him in the gut as hard as he could, and this caused Todd to dry heave and collapse onto his knees onto the ground. Zach quickly left his side and went right to mine, crouching down next to me to make sure that I was okay.

“Are you okay?” he asked me, cupping my cheeks in his hands as he looked me up and down. “Did he stab you anywhere?”

I shook my head, since my voice was now gone. Todd was still on the ground behind him, writhing in pain, and I hoped he’d stay that way. After killing my mother and attempting to kill both Zach and me, he deserved so much more that what he was getting.

Zach leaned forward, pressing his lips to mine for only a split second. Before I could even react, I saw that Todd had now gotten up and was now charging toward us.

“Zach!” I shouted, my voice suddenly back. “Watch out!”

He spun around, but it was too late. Todd slammed the knife into his stomach, and I let out a scream that was so loud I thought I was going to lose my voice again. Todd yanked the knife out of Zach’s stomach before ramming it back in again, and this time tears were pouring down my face.

He stabbed him two more times before finally backing off. The look in his eyes was terrifying; he looked like he was crazy and finally cracked, which I was sure was what had happened.

Instead of running away for help like I probably should have, I let out a sob and wrapped my arms around Zach’s neck, his blood oozing from his wounds and onto me. The pure white dress was now stained with a sickening red, and I could feel it on my skin as well. The feeling of this hot liquid all over made me feel absolutely disgusted, but I still couldn’t leave his side.

“I said I’d kill him if he interfered again.” Todd laughed like a maniac; the kind of laughs that the villains in movies always had. I never thought I’d hear that in real life. “Now it’s your turn, you little bitch.”

“No, Maxynn,” Zach groaned, blood dripping down his chin from his mouth. “Get out of here. Now.”

But I didn’t budge. I wasn’t about to get up and leave him. This was all my fault, and I was going to take responsibility for it. I was either going to die with him, or fight until I won.

Todd’s hand and knife were covered in blood, and I felt my anger boil up as I looked at it. He was covered in Zach’s blood. He was covered in the love of my life’s blood. I wasn’t about to just let him get away with that.

Before I could do anything, however, Todd grabbed a fistful of my hair and yanked me away from my bleeding fiancé. My hands immediately went to my hair, the pain almost unbearable, so I didn’t even want to know what it was like to be stabbed.

“You’re going to regret saying no to me!” he shouted now, shaking my head back and forth as he did so. “I’m going to kill you, and I won’t have any mercy! I’ll torture you until you cry and beg and scream that you love me! But it’s too late now! You can’t say anything that will change what I’m going to do!”

I couldn’t let him win. I couldn’t let him win! There had to be a way for me to get away from him. But I had nothing, so what could I have possibly done?

Using my hair, he threw me a few feet away from him so I was now on my back once again. I sat up, looking around for something to use against him. There wasn’t any single thing; not even a vase that I could smash him over the head with. I was completely defenseless.

So I was the one to lunge at him now, and it luckily caught him so off guard that he didn’t stab me while I did. He smashed to the ground, and I found myself punching him in the face before he could do anything to me.

Instead of stabbing me, he threw me right off of him and onto the ground. I was on my back again, but I wasn’t going to give up without a fight. I wasn’t going to stop until I couldn’t move anymore.

He took a step toward me, still clutching onto the knife, but I wasn’t about to let him any closer to me with it. I kicked my leg up, the shredded white wedding dress pooling around my waist as my foot made contact with Todd’s hand and the handle of the knife. He let out a shout of surprise, obviously not expecting it to go flying across the room.

I glanced over at Zach before I sprung up and darted toward the knife. He was still conscious, and watching, but I knew I was going to have to hurry. He didn’t have that much time left, I was sure.

Todd and I both got to the knife at the same time, and I was able to get a good grip on the handle just as he bashed into me and sent me flying into a wall. As much as it should have hurt, I didn’t even feel it. I knew I was going to be sore later, but later didn’t matter right then.

“What are you going to do, Maxynn?” Todd laughed, wiping his forehead with his bloody hand, which only caused blood to drip down his face. “Are you really going to stab me? Is that something you’re capable of? I thought you didn’t want to be a murderer, since everyone already assumes you killed your mother.”

“You were the one who did that,” I spat, wanting nothing more than to stab him right then. “If I kill you, I wouldn’t be a murderer. I would be a hero.”

His playful, evil grin disappeared. “I’d like to see you try, bitch.”

I grinned at him now. “Alright.”

I started to lunge at him, but stopped myself before I did. This caused him to shield the one part of his abdomen that he thought I was aiming for, which left the other side completely free. Without even thinking twice, I stabbed him right in the side, his blood immediately covering the knife and my hand.

This weakened him, I could tell, but all he did was grab onto my hand and yank the knife right out of his side. It flew right out of our hands and hit the wall, but none of us went after it. Obviously that wasn’t something we needed any longer.

Todd collapsed, but took me down with him. I heard Zach try to shout, but he was too weak to fully do so. I looked back at him for only a moment as Todd straddled me once again, both of his hands on either side of my head.

He was breathing heavily, and I knew the stab wound hurt. I didn’t know if it would kill him, but I wouldn’t have cared if it did or not. I’d rather him die than Zach.

Blood escaped from Todd’s mouth, and it dripped onto my cheeks as he continued to tower over me. I didn’t even flinch; I was covered in enough blood to make it look like I had just come out of a horror movie. His wound was dripping blood all over my dress, and I already had Zach’s blood all over me as well. I looked like I was horrible injured, even though nothing had happened to me just yet.

Todd suddenly leaned forward, pressing his lips to mine. I could taste the blood in his mouth, but his lips muffled any scream I tried to make. When he finally pulled away from me, I could feel his blood sliding down my chin and into my messy and uneven hair.

“I’m going to kill you,” Todd threatened for the umpteenth time.

He then wrapped his hands around my neck, which was not something I was expecting. The knife was not that far away from us, yet he still went to strangle me. This way of killing someone was a lot more personal, I knew, and that seemed to be what Todd wanted.

I grabbed onto his hands as he continued to squeeze, but this did nothing to help me. I heard Zach try to get up, but this only caused him to collapse back onto the ground. My legs were twitching, and everything was starting to go black. He really was successfully killing me.

“Maxynn!” Zach shouted, since there was nothing he could do. “Fight back! Fight back, Maxynn, fight back!”

I wanted to, and I was trying to, but I just wasn’t strong enough. But I couldn’t give up; there had to be something I could do to get out of this.

Without even thinking, I raised my knee up and smashed it against Todd’s groin. This didn’t cause him to roll off me, but it made him let go of my neck and let me breathe again.

But before Todd could grab at my neck again, the front doors of the church burst open, and I knew it was all over. I looked over to see cops pouring inside, some of them barking to get a stretcher when they saw Zach. Two of them yanked Todd right off of me, who was trashing even with his wound.

Cops opened the door to the alter of the church, where everyone was. People starting panicking the second they saw the cops, but calmed down when the policemen told them to. I continued to just lie there, covered in blood that was not my own, as all of this was going on around me.

One policeman crouched down next to me and placed two of his fingers against my neck to check for a pulse. Did I really look like I was dead that much that he had to check? The second his fingers touched my skin, I started screaming and fighting against his touch. I was definitely not dead.

When the cops saw that Todd was injured, they shouted for another stretcher. Todd didn’t deserve one; he deserved to die. I noticed how weak he was no getting as he continued to thrash against the policemen, and I wasn’t surprised when he collapsed onto the ground before the stretcher could get to him.

As Zach was being put on the stretcher, I could see that he was still conscious. I felt so bad for him, because I only came out with a scratch and a few bruises. I didn’t even know if Zach was going to be able to make it with the injuries he got.

“You didn’t really think I’d come in here to save her without calling the cops, did you?” Zach whispered weakly as his stretcher was passing by Todd’s. “Contrary to popular belief, I’m not that much of an idiot.”

Todd was too weak to respond to him, and another second later he was unconscious in his stretcher and he was being taken out of the church and, hopefully after if he didn’t die, he would be taken to jail.

Everyone in the other room was told to stay where they were, which I hated because I wanted my daddy. I wanted to be out of this room filled with blood, and I no longer wanted to be covered in it. I just wanted to be clean.

“Maxynn,” a new voice now said, and I looked up to see that it was Officer Lopez staring down at me. “Are you okay? Are you hurt? Do you need to go to the hospital?”

I didn’t know the answer to that, honestly. I hadn’t gotten stabbed, and even though Todd tried to choke me, it didn’t do anything. Physically, I was fine. Mentally, I wasn’t so sure.

“I’m fine,” I croaked, even though my appearance said the opposite. “I… I didn’t get stabbed.”

I thought about Zach, who did get stabbed. I let out a sob, covering my face with my blood soaked hands as I tried to get the horrible image out of my head. I didn’t care if Todd died, but if it was Zach… I didn’t know what I was supposed to do.

I pushed myself up off the carpeted ground, shaking so hard that I thought I was going to fall apart. I looked around at all the cops, and then I looked inside at all the people who were being forced to sit and just stare. I locked eyes with my dad, and I knew he would have come to me if he could. But he couldn’t, so he didn’t.

My hair was uneven from all the times it had been cut with the knife when I dodged the blows. My hair was all over the floor along with Zach’s blood, but I didn’t even care what I looked like right then. All that mattered that Zach had gotten help before he could fall unconscious. That had to mean he had a better chance of living, right?

My dress was ripped to shreds, and I was covered in blood. But it wasn’t mine, because the only blood I shed was from the cut on my cheek. The blood covering my white dress and my skin belonged to both Zach and Todd, and it was even worse than my own.

Even after both Zach and Todd were rushed to the hospital, the cops didn’t let people leave the room. I continued to stand out in the foyer, watching everyone through the huge doors as they watched me back, and I didn’t what else I was supposed to do. I was safe, Zach was going to the hospital, and Todd would go to jail once he was out of the hospital.

I didn’t know what I was supposed to do. I just stood there, staring, wanting nothing more than to be at Zach’s side. But I couldn’t. I couldn’t help him, as much as I wanted to. I just didn’t know what I was supposed to do.

I locked eyes with Ethan, who was giving me a look I hadn’t ever seen before. He was in a little tux, and it was amazing how much he looked like his brother. When he was older, I was sure he’d look like they were twins.

The look on Ethan’s face made me want to hug him. He looked heartbroken and scared, and I could tell it wasn’t just because his brother was in danger, but because I was as well. Even though he wouldn’t admit it, I knew Ethan cared about me like his sister.

Not caring about the policemen’s orders, my little brother busted right by them and wrapped his arms around me without a second thought, even thought I was covered in blood. I just stood there, surprised that he’d do this and surprised that the cops let him do this. I was just… in shock. Ethan was hugging me. Ethan was crying.

And soon, Kate joined.

“Everything’s going to be okay, Maxynn,” she sniffed, and I could feel her tears slip onto my shoulder. “Everything’s going to be okay, alright?”

Surprisingly, I wasn’t crying. In this type of situation, you would expect a girl to cry, but I just wasn’t. I almost had, but now my eyes were dry as if nothing had happened. But when Ethan’s grip around me tightened and I could tell that he was trying his best to not cry, all of my resistance broke.

My loud sobs echoed throughout the entire church as I hugged both Ethan and Kate back tightly. No one spoke, or made a single noise, so all that could be heard were my sobs.

But now I heard a new sound. A step of footsteps, and then two. When I felt two pairs of strong arms wrap around both Kate and me, I knew who it was so I didn’t even have to look up. I didn’t even need to look to know that it was Johnny and Logan.

All I needed right then was my friends and family. We needed to go to the hospital as soon as we could to see if Zach was going to be okay or not. I needed to get out of that church before I finally cracked. I just needed to know if Zach was going to be okay. I just… didn’t know what I really did need at that moment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did I trick any of you? Who did you think it was who was trying to kill Maxynn all this time? :D

This chapter... is a little more graphic than I thought it would be. Like, none of my other stories have been as bad as this, I think. There's never been so much talk about blood and stabbing...

Only two chapters left! :/ But there's going to be a surprise at the end!

Wow, this is the longest chapter of the entire story...

This is for the 2012 Watty Awards! Please COMMENT, VOTE, and SHARE! And please NOMINATE Ethan for Funniest Character! I know he wasn't in this chapter very much at all, but he'll be in the last two. So please nominate him! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.1K 960 28
Complete! "You know I really like you, right?" He was definitely drunk. "You do?" I asked. My voice was supposed to be teasing, but I think it ca...
5.5K 318 23
"Hey Princess." "Wh..at is your problem?! Why are y..you following me?!" "Are you scared of me?" he asked with a smirk on his face. "N..no I am no..t...
482 7 51
"This was just supposed to be summer fun. That was what we agreed on." I tried to talk to him as he was vigorously shaking his head, tearing his gaze...
817 57 30
Scarlet just wants to be left alone and finish high school as she moved away from her home. People at her old school saw her as odd and she only had...