Every Little Memory

musicalsweets द्वारा

Imagine being given the gift of sight; the ability to peer into the world beyond, where the souls of the dead... अधिक

An Introduction
Entry #1: Almond
Entry #2: Antique Brass
Entry #3: Apricot
Entry #4: Aquamarine
Entry #5: Asparagus
Entry #6: Beaver
Entry #7: Bittersweet
Entry #8: Blizzard Blue
Entry #9: Blue Bell
Entry #10: Blue Grey
Entry #11: Blue Violet
Entry #12: Blush
Entry #13: Brick Red
Entry #14: Burnt Orange
Entry #15: Burnt Sienna
Entry #16: Canary
Entry #17: Caribbean Green
Entry #18: Carnation Pink
Entry #19: Cerise
Entry #20: Cerulean
Entry #21: Chestnut
Entry #22: Copper
Entry #23: Cornflower
Entry #24: Cotton Candy
Entry #25: Dandelion
Entry #26: Denim
Entry #27: Desert Sand
Entry #28: Eggplant
Entry #29: Electric Lime
Entry #30: Fern
Entry #31: Forest Green
Entry #32: Fuchsia
Entry #33: Goldenrod
Entry #34: Granny Smith Apple
Entry #35: Grey
Entry #36: Inchworm
Entry #37: Indigo
Entry #38: Jazzberry Jam
Entry #39: Sunglow
Entry #40: Royal Purple
Entry #41: Thistle
Entry #42: Midnight Blue
Entry #43: Scarlet
Entry #44: Rose Dust (Part 1)
Entry #45: Rose Dust (Part 2)
Entry #46: Cerulean Frost
Entry #48: Granite Grey (Part 2)
Entry #49: Timberwolf
Entry #50: Purple Heart
Entry #51: Shadow
The Final Page
History

Entry #47: Granite Grey (Part 1)

293 3 0
musicalsweets द्वारा

Each time I step into this meeting hall, it changes. The change is not visible to the eye. The design of the room is the same as ever, with its dark colors and simple furnishings. It is something that rests in the atmosphere, something you can feel only with your mind. You can only touch it with your emotions. The first time it was anger and annoyance, putting all of the room’s occupants on edge. The second was concern and confusion with a homeland being threatened and dwindling faith. Now I stand amidst unease, apprehension, and maybe even the beginnings of discord. It is easy to see that the recent battle has caused much turmoil within Talyyn. The battle had been won, but at what cost? Not every victory leads to peace.

 Kain is pacing back and forth again, a furious look in his icy eyes. He must be deciding what his next moves should be. It can’t be easy; knowing the treaty between humans and demons must be upheld. Knowing that anything he does will be judged by the people, and could turn them against him even more. Perhaps some of his anger could also have something to do with what happened to Kaiya on the battlefield.

 I am relieved that she is alive, though her wounds are deep. She sits in a chair at the large meeting table, as it is probably painful to stand. Her injury has been taken care of for the most part. She still wears her tattered clothes from battle, so I can see the bandages through the tear in her tunic. It is still a fresh wound, as blood is darkening the bandages rather quickly and there is much hurt in her eyes. They look to be on the brink of tears. I cannot begin to imagine how much pain she must be in. I don’t think she has ever been wounded this severely.

 Fuchsia, Kren, and a number of other inhabitants of the hold stand near her. Maybe a war council of sorts, to discuss current events. They look uncomfortable to be here in the meeting hall when their lord has anger boiling inside of him. A few shift back and forth on their feet while others stare at the ceiling as if they were seeing the room for the first time. Fuchsia and Kren stand closest to Kaiya, perhaps for reassurance.

 Iza stands beside her mirror, turning away from some image she had seen within. “A large majority of humans have retreated, but the threat still stands,” she informs as she traces her hand over the glass, causing the image to disappear.

 "Can we go in and rip ‘em all to shreds?” Kaiya mumbles in an aggravated tone. She fidgets in her chair as if to move into a more comfortable position. Moving seems to irritate her injury though, as she winces and sucks in a breath. I hope she won’t be doing any fighting, with a terrible wound like that.

 “They have failed to honor the pact made between our people. It states in clearest detail that---“

 “Neither party should harm the other. Yes, I know Iza,” Kain interrupts, rubbing his forehead. “Their attack on Talyyn was a blatant disregard for the rules of the treaty. They have purposely broken a long standing contract.”

 “So let’s punish ‘em,” Kaiya grumbles.

 “The girl is correct. Your father and many others went through a great deal of trouble to bring this truce between us. Many died in the attempt. They dishonor the dead and bring back the violence that we worked so fervently to end. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that their actions should have consequences.” Iza’s words evoke a few nods from the assembly, Kaiya included. There is bloodlust in their eyes; a desire for vengeance.

 “Indeed they should answer for what they have done, but how should we go about punishing them? It would make us no better than them, should we attack their cities. Is the purpose not to avoid war?”

 “After all the things they’ve done to us, you want don’t want to fight them?” Kaiya speaks out, eyes gleaming with fury. It is the rage that follows loss, grief, and disappointment.

 “Did you not hear what I just said? Another instance of the Crimson War would be a terrible burden. It is not all humans that fight us, only a few unstable groups. We have the same trouble-makers here in Talyyn.”

 “What, so you just want to walk in and politely ask ‘em to stop? That won’t work! We gotta do something about them!”

 Both of their tempers have flared up now, it seems. Kaiya is sitting up straight in her chair and sending him an angry glare.  The rest of the room remains silent, staring at both of them with wide eyes. In response to her statement, Kain stops pacing and slams his hand down on the table, frustrated.

 “Of course! I despise them as much as you! I do not wish more war upon Talyyn, though. Too many people have been harmed already…The army that attacked us was one of those unstable groups; one the humans failed to control. Maybe we should have just killed all of them. It would have saved us trouble… If only we had been stronger…more fire power…”

 “There’s no way we could have killed all of them! But I guess that’s not good enough for you.” Kaiya seems to take his comments to heart, appearing a bit dejected.  Perhaps she took it as a hint that she was not strong enough for his liking.

 Whatever the case, she lifts herself up slowly, wobbling a bit before gaining her balance. “Well, I think I’m done here,” she grumbles. Without looking back at the assembly beside her, she hobbles out as quickly as she can into the hall outside. A few stare after her, stunned. Kain lowers his head, staring at the floor appearing a bit crestfallen. I doubt he intended to offend Kaiya, but nothing seems to turn out well for him, does it?

 Fuchsia steps away from the assembly and also excuses herself, stopping to bow at Kain before trotting out the doors. I follow, barely listening to the sound of Iza’s voice as she continues the discussion. She has no trouble catching up to the lupine, as her injuries slow her down. She skitters in front of Kaiya, effectively stopping her.

 “What are you doing? Come back, you have to help us make a decision,” she breathes, sounding exasperated. Kaiya growls once at her, clearly not wishing to be halted. The griffon stands firm in her place, refusing to budge until she gets some answers.

 “Something I should have done a long time ago. I’m leaving,” the lupine replies in a serious tone that does not befit her. She has the demeanor of a surly, battle-hardened warrior rather than the spunky girl she once was. It is interesting how time can change a person.

 With a raised eyebrow, Fuchsia replies, “Leaving?”

 "Yes, as in I’m gettin’ out of this place. I’m quitting, runnin’ away, whatever you want to call it. I’m leaving.”

 “Just like that?”

 “Just like that. Now get outta my way.”  Kaiya tries to shove past her, but Fuchsia will not allow it. With the amount of pain she is in, Kaiya doesn’t try very hard.

 “Tell me why first.”

 The lupine lets out a resigned sigh and leans back against the wall. “Because I don’t belong here. I feel so stupid for not realizing it sooner.”

 “Why do you think that?”

 “Really? You don’t see it? I’m not wanted here. The only people here who tolerate me are you and Kren. I get into fights all the time because no one here wants me here; I’m hated. I don’t fit in. I can’t do a single damn thing right around here.”

Then, her body shakes as empty laughter escapes her.  “I even…I even started to like Kain. I always thought he was an ass, but I… I started trying to do things right just for him… But he doesn’t care one bit about me. I lost count of how many times I saved his hide, how many of his enemies I killed. I carried myself to that stupid meeting while bleeding like crazy just to hear want he wanted me to do next.  Not once have I ever gotten a “thanks” or just a break for all I’ve done for him. It always, ‘Go do this Kaiya’ or ‘Why didn’t you do this?’ It all just pisses me off!”

 By this point, she is nearly shouting. All of that stress, anger, and frustration that built up within her over the years has finally surfaced in an eruption of rage. The hurt in her eyes is as clear as day and there is something about her that seems…heartbroken. She pounds a fist against the wall while her eyes start to water.

 “Kaiya…”

 “This place isn’t me, Fuchsia. I don’t belong here. It’s changed me into something I’m not. I used to hate having long hair and wearing long skirts. But now I walk around in ‘em like it’s nothing. Heck, I’ve even started wearing shoes!  If mom were here, she’d wonder what happened to her girl. That battle reminded me of how much I miss the forest. I miss being able to run free, without anyone tellin’ me not to. I didn’t have to follow rules or learn to read or worry ‘bout politics. I think I’ll go back.”

 “You can’t! Isn’t the forest dead? You won’t survive there!” Fuchsia’s eyes are pleading, concerned for her friend.

 “I know. I’ll find somewhere else.”

 “Where could you go?”

 “Ha, who knows? There’s no place for me, is there? I’m hated by humans and demons, just because I’m a lupine. A lone wolf, that’s what I am. I’ll find somewhere. There’s gotta be some place…”

 “It’s dangerous out there!”

 Kaiya pushes away from the wall and puts a hand on Fuchsia’s shoulder. “Thanks for bein’ there for me, when no one else would. Things didn’t seem as lonely with you ‘n Kren there to help me. You’re like a sister, and if I had one, I’d want her to be like you. So…yeah, thanks. I…won’t forget you guys. Never.”

 She wipes a single tear from her eye before turning and limping down the hall. Perhaps this will be the last time she will see this corridor. Kaiya walks down a rough path, towards fate.

 Fuchsia stares after her, now alone whispering a soft, “Goodbye, my friend.” 

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

The Boyfriend App Mon D Rea द्वारा

किशोर उपन्यास

1.7M 17.4K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
32.7K 2K 45
Twenty-year-old Claire must deceive a vampire prince to infiltrate the monarchy and discover their secrets while resisting her desire for him. --- No...
25K 76 200
Alright you sleep deprived Ninja Nerds you know the drill
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...