Urban Folklore

By carlin1976

'Concerning Melissa' Episode 2 More

Prolouge
Sub Chapter # 4 The Mansion of Glass
Sub Chapter # 5 Peacock & the Jack of Diamonds
Sub Chapter # 6 Archangel Blues

Previously in 'Concerning Melisssa' Episode 1

42 1 0
By carlin1976

                 The synopsis from the previous Episode 1,
                 Children of the Underpass

The pre-teen Melissa befriends Javier and Angela and enjoy childhood escapades through video games, and grown up themed conversations . However she experiences reoccurring dreams revolving around a high fantasy world; similar to one of Javier's role playing video games.
Javier's best friend Lester has become initially victimized by school bullying that escalated quickly into street gang violence. All the while a strange experience he has not come to terms with, has ultimately made him isolated and unapproachable. Lester ultimately gets suspended for defending himself in school, and begins to miss school altogether.
Lester's uncle Nuño having been all too familiar with gang life; endeavors to guide the troubled Lester. He is loosely associated with the 'Regales' street gang who operate an illicit fighting venue called the 'Sand box', of which he has participated in to produce income. Nuño sees much of his family street gang legacy running naturally through Lester's veins, and wishes to dissuade him from it's grasp. Javier and his close school friends become sympathetic and loyal to Lester's resolve of self defense, against the rising gang culture of the at risk youths of the "Underpass". They unanimously agree to be taught by Nuño.
After experiencing unprecedented misfortune Sebastian gains stability working as an administrator for Constance; who in turn runs a lucrative prostitution ring in the down town area of La Centrada; otherwise nicknamed "Depravity's District.
A serious confrontation occurred when Joney; a veteran gangster representative of the North Valley Cliques gang, came to settle a debt with Su, and make demands that exceeded the arrangements previously approved by nefarious crime entities. He was unexpectedly and quickly expelled by Sebastian, in a desperate effort to counter the threat Jonie posed to Constance's company.

'Concerning Melissa'©

Optional reading: If you're lost as to who is who, and what is what; then follow this guide.
     There's also a brief character synopsis provided here without spoilers.   

Compendium

La Centrada's 'current day' protagonists
(1994-1995)

Melissa Gutierrez: The main, and currently 12 year old protagonist and adolescent Hispanic girl. She has a vivid imagination, who lives in the city limits of 'La Centrada'. She's suffered a form of neglect from her economically challenged parents, and usually overshadowed by her two elders sisters. Not being the least bit popular in middle school, and failing utterly at soccer; her only merited accomplishment is being the official junior high spelling B champion. Melissa's childhood solitude has opened her mind to the possibility of an alternate existence. One where she believes there to be an ulterior world, where fantasy and myth become a reality. A fascination with a cartoon called the 'Valiants' has thus compounded to it, as has a popular role playing video game she and Javier often play. She has gone on a 'figurative quest 'of inner significance with Javier, and is determined to discover more within the perceived odyssey.

Beatrice Enriquez: Melissa's aging grandmother.         

Pumpkin Cat: Melissa's beloved feline who has different colored eyes. Though discouraged by her family, it sleeps with her, and has been a source of immense companionship since she was a younger child. In her dreams, Pumpkin has appeared as a large humanoid feline in armor!

Javier Santana: Thirteen year old Javier is considered a 'good boy' in a neighborhood of adolescents with overall destructive tendencies. Javier inherited his mother's Anglo American dominant features, and does not consider himself openly Hispanic. His parents have brought him up in a sheltered environment, with limited freedoms. He is known for his typical room of toys, and latest electronic games. His deep conversations with Melissa have earned him a special place in her heart. However due to his age, she is treated by him like a gaming 'buddy', rather than a love interest. His immaturity around her abounds for inadvertently dismissing that she is a growing girl by his frequent locker room comments. He claims to believe in Melissa's 'odyssey,' but only in a sense of his self centeredness. He aspires to discover his 'warrior princess., 'while it has yet to be revealed exactly why. The 'figurative quest' he has joined Melissa on mostly resides in the connection with the 16 bit role playing games they play together; and the real life occurrences of their surroundings. Something they intend to draw imaginative conclusions from. Hence a pilgrimage of sorts. He has become increasingly troubled by the recent changes in Lester's personal life. The child in him looks up to Lester as a big brother, with a feeling of unyielding loyalty and commitment. Nevertheless within him is a growing struggle to stick with Melissa, who he finds comfort and solace with.

Julio & Starla Santana: Javier's parents. Javier's father is a man who earns 'good' money, while having to work hard for it delivering produce. Having confidence in attaining the 'American dream', he remains a man proud of his accomplishments though his son does not share the same sentiment. Javier ridicules his father's optimism and limited English vocabulary. Julio nevertheless loves his and spoils his son, whom he is having to discipline more so. For overall negative influential reasons, Lester is someone Julio does not want to see anywhere near Javier. While he welcomes Melissa's initial presence in Javier's life, he feels Javier is not ready to appreciate her company as he should.

The 'Valiants' animated series: A Japanese studio produced animated series, renamed, simplified, and heavily edited for an Western audience of the late 80's. 領域のスーパーラディアンナイトプロテクター, ("Ryōiki no sūpāradiantonaitopurotekutā.) Which translated literally means 'Super Radiant Knight Protectors of the Realms'. Often criticized for it's violence and intense drama, the show ran for 24 minutes during the day and had 40 episodes. (In Japan and throughout Asia however, it had over 200 episodes) For lack of popularity the show was discontinued in the West. It had an limited production line of toy figures, and has three video game adaptations, while prior in 'Asia' it had a vast line of toys, model kits, and over 35 video game adaptations.

Vivian Gutierrez: Second older sister to Melissa. A bright high school student of 16, Vivian is solely focused on her academics. She is inexperienced, and not nearly as pressured by the other factors as most teens of her day. Serving as a middle sibling, she is her eldest sister's confident, and primarily Melissa's mentor. Vivian is often unwillingly referred to the prettiest of the three, as her resemblance to her mother is most apparent. She is often teased for her 'perfect looks and life'.                

Elena Gutierrez: Eldest sister of the three. Already 21 and known for her overall rashness, she resembles her mother's impatient nature. While she loves her sisters dearly, her ways of showing it are limited. Her troubles are mostly that of officially being able to make her own life. Known for her relationship struggles, at one point she was closely involved with Sebastian.               

Miriam Gutierrez: Mother of the three sisters. A hard working parent experiencing the disenchantment of an ever failing marriage, and becoming increasingly disconnected her youngest daughter Melissa. She is haunted by an earlier occurrence in her youth which she had run from all her life. In addition she has always had a troubled relationship with her mother Beatrice. It is clear that she has not come to terms with many unsettled issues from her past.       

Gilson Enriquez: (pronounced Hill-son) Miriam's younger reputable brother. He has experienced promotions after a long career in a lesser known supermarket chain. While the undisclosed experience that he and Miriam shared as youths was traumatic, Gilson maintains an overall positive outlook on life. It's no secret that Gilson has followed Beatrice's guidance better than Miriam. Having gradually grown apart since adulthood, his sister now prefers that he keep limited contact with her daughters for unfounded reasons. He is particularly fond of Melissa, who admires him for actively taking interest in her life. While he is attentive to caring for his aging mother Beatrice, he is also concerned over Melissa's psychological growth amidst her surroundings. Gilson strongly feels that Melissa is not like other girls, and requires more than the usual attention.

Lester Jimenez: An older male in a male group of mostly 8th grade school renegades, Lester is a handsome 16 year old, while at the same educational curriculum. Lester comes from a rough upbringing within a broken household. He is raised by a young mother Violet, who's lifestyle was mostly resided in the realm of a hedonistic attitudes, and long term street gang life association. His uncle Nuño too lives in the household as they are a 'unannounced couple'. Due to the amount of freedom Lester had in his upbringing, a part of him seeks a sense of security that permeates in the home of his very best friend Javier. His family's tarnished street gang history is one he does not esteem, along with the criminal legacy his father "Wolf' left behind. At 15 Lester encountered a pair of men that were supposedly honoring his accomplishment in 'beating' and arcade cabinet game of unparalleled difficulty. The occurrences of what occurred that night remain a disturbing enigma to him, and the source of his widely reoccurring nightmares. Lester was also targeted by school bullies for his quiet while tough demeanor, and decided for himself to counter it with overcompensated physical violence. Overall failing grades, and suspensions due to continued aggression within and out of school; compelled him ultimately become a drop out altogether. Perceiving his out casted state, Nuño wishes to demonstrate the long term consequences of Lester's actions, without directly telling him. Having an childhood fixation with ninjas, he has taken on his uncle's seemingly pretentious martial arts as a self discipline. His group of younger males peers look up to him, even when he seemingly gets into greater altercations.

Nuño, Nathaniel Jimenez "Mongoose": Nuño's experience was that of being a former respected Regale, and then suddenly being casted out from the gang. His ability to quickly counter blows earned him the name street name 'Mongoose.'                                       
Angela Cordero: A twelve year old girl of a single parent household, and closet peer to Melissa. She does not share her friends sense of wonder since the world is less endearing to her eyes. A girl who is easily given to frequent infatuation, she has longed for Lester's attention.                                     

Tamik Williams: A thirteen year old boy who feels that an education about his own heritage as a race, gives him a strong sense of entitlement within society. He is notorious for dishing out the 'race card', but his closest peers realize that he uses it as a figurative, misapplied social 'crutch'. Ironically his mother is a respected school high school teacher, which is something he does not make known. Tamik comes from a affluent Afro American family who sees his rebellious attitude as but a necessary phase within his mental growth. Even while he has been publicly denounced for his narrow minded views, he insists on pointing them out even when stumbling over his own words. An aspiring boy 'gangster rapper', he is valued by Lester for his display of tough love, and being brave while honest in his ideas. Lester's group embraces Tamik for his frequent humiliating humor, grandiose vocabulary, deep perceptions, and overall senselessness. While all those in Lester's group are very good friends, he and Zachary were the earliest of childhood peers.

'Peewee': (Edward Martinez) Understood to be a distant cousin to Lester, this young old child only wishes to follow the crowd of boys. This is in spite of how often he's told to stay away. Regardless of being ridiculed, he remains ever strong in the company of Lester's 'boys'. He is nicknamed 'Peewee' for being the runt among what are already considered generally small boys his age.

Hyun Soo Cho: An obviously Korean Asian minority within the 'Underpasses' district. Also referred to as "Han Solo", much to his dismay. However the 13 year old is usually a victim of constant stereotyping. He's considered 'Chinese' no matter what language he speaks in, or what he shares about his heritage. Within Lester's group, he is the most reserved, and otherwise cool and collect.           

Zachary Daniels: Considered a child prodigy and the epitome of the 'American boy', twelve year old Zachary absolutely despises the attention it has long brought him.

Wallace Felton: An average 15 year old schoolboy from a struggling neighborhood, known as North Point. He and Tamik have a long time unsettled, while immature dispute over positions as minorities.

Joaquin 'Joker' Fredrickson: For a time 'Wolf' was influential in Joaquin's life, and he was given the nickname 'Joker', due to his sudden outbursts of laughter and overall foolishness. He remained a hyperactive boy with a low self esteem, and a victim of neighborhood bullying. All mostly due to being not being considered of minority background. Nevertheless in his late teens; Joaquin was toughened by the neighborhood hazing, and followed along the Regales associates as a coping mechanism to counter abuse. Long noting his disposition and thus having sympathy him, gang patriarch Cleffy eventually reared him in the realm of gangsterism. Consequently he is still regarded impulsive and naïve to Roland and Mathias, while still proving his the tests of his unyielding loyalty. Because of this the 'Viceroys' are more prudent in assigning him tasks in relation to criminal activity. His closest friend is a younger teenager named Elias, who has followed him around since childhood. While he is but a few years older, Joaquin and Lester share a childhood rivalry resembling siblings with great animosity for one another.

Sebastian Saldariaga: A struggling 'undergrad', who experienced misfortune in his relationships, and ended up homeless. In spite of his literal basketball star stature, he was stripped of his pride and self worth given his ordeal. Refusing to turn to family and friends, his sense of dignity would not even allow him to accept assistance from his long time, next door neighbor Beatrice. He unsuccessfully attempted suicide and even refused aid from city agency shelters. During the deterioration of his mind, he allowed an unusual obsessive admiration for a model-like woman to give him a reason to linger on to life. He formed an unlikely friendship with the woman Su, who gradually assisted him to rise out of his destitute situation. After gaining a good source of income by running errands for a ring of prostitutes, he was confronted by their manager Constance. Impressed with his aptitude and resilience over severe adversity, Constance hires him as her personal body guard, supervisor over the women, and unofficial caregiver to her daughter Lorelei. Having found solace and unique level of warmth in his new lifestyle, he experiences even more trauma with an initial street altercation with Joney.

Lorelei Stoneburge: Constance's only child daughter, who usually puts on more than she knows. Sebastian has become the only father figure in her universe. A charming girl on the exterior, she is also well known for challenging adults with her derision, and knowledge of otherwise 'grown up talk.'

Su: The youngest and most trusted of Constance's 'girls' and known for her apparent indecisiveness.

Constance Stoneburge: Sometimes referred as her disliked alias 'Connie', Constance entered a life of 'escort services' in the late 70's, and found herself demoted on the street scene in order to maintain a living. She worked closely with Joney, and was slowly promoted to 'bottom girl' due to her dexterity in management. She was temporarily involved with renown gangster 'Wolf'; a then powerful Regales gang member; but it eventually put her in a conflict of interest with Joney. This lead her to have to run her own business, outside of Joney's domain. She experiencing over a decade of unparalleled success in her operation, and rumored to have been in a long tern relationship to the famed 'Gallo. 'when she was evidently considered a 'Vicereine.' A rehabilitated then Joney then unexpectedly returned from prison to cash in on old favors not owed to him. While mostly resorting to diplomacy to sway and pacify Joney, the restless Constance hoped that the presence of Sebastian would keep him away. Instead Joney challenged her and Sebastian, but was unexpectedly beaten by Sebastian in public view. Constance has ignored her advancing COPD (chronic obstructive airway disease), and it has begun culminating along with the events she wished to bring peace to. Her only wish is that her daughter does not live the depraved life that she knows too well.

Joney Jamison: Repudiated neighborhood pimp, and small time narcotics dealer of early 80's fame. He was then partnered with Constance and increased proceeds, until pressure from North Height Cliques forced him to draw a line between business and friendship. It was her continued association with her Mastiff Regales which put undue strains, on his then building relationship with the North Height Cliques.    

North Heights Clique : - A street gang that was formed from a derivative of smaller city gangs. The early 70's saw unprecedented gang activity within La Centrada county. North Point's posies of youths were involved heavily in narcotic related disputes. As the gang violence murder rate climbed, and profitability was diminishing; rival gang leaders reportedly met in the early in the late 70's to discuss mutual benefits, if allied together for similar gain. The tasks they were to partake in involved drug smuggling, illegal immigration, prostitution, hate crimes, kidnapping, and murder. Four of the nine known street gangs were combined and referred to themselves as the 'Uptown Crews.' After other territorial disputes were settled with the other five major warring gangs, it became widely accepted that all had melded to become what is known today as the 'North Heights Clique'. The now restructured and dispersed versions of older gang families refer to themselves by former gang names. The difference is they unite under the umbrella of the new banner. Several gangs are still renown by their original street characteristics, but are usually categorized under the North Heights Clique regardless. At any given time within the gang structure, a designated 'Prince' will spearhead the objectives in the one city where the 'North Valley Cliques' operate. Stronger sub groups of the gangs called 'sets' are usually operated within a few sub divisions, and funded by the same small time drug barons. The leading 'Prince' will usually have a subordinate who acts as lieutenant to carry out directives.  The current person in this role is called 'Knight'. Other posies of youth street gangs may claim to have other affiliations in their respective communities, yet all ultimately tie themselves to the loyalty of the general name for fear of swift, inner gang retaliation. While mostly considered an Afro American gang, their ranks include any nationality born into their realm. Currently the 'North Valley Cliques' are La Centrada's most notorious gang, with reportedly 30,000 members in and outside penitentiaries. Communities of them have been noted in 6 other states of the southeast and gulf coasts.

◊ The Regales ◊: - A street gang initially established first in late 1950's. Originally known as the 'Mastiff Regales', they since the late 80's were thought to be a nearly defunct gang in that Southeastern part of town of La Centrada county. Their motif is taken from Spanish conquistadors use of fearsome trained battle hounds. The irony behind the name 'Mastiff Regal' is thought to be understood that the gang thinks of itself as lowly, but fierce battle dogs trying to reclaim social stature. While simultaneously aspiring a level to that of leading nobles with a sense of dignity. The gang's primary 'golden days' were reportedly experienced in the mid 1960's where they had the most control over protection rackets, prostitution, arms trafficking, and battery. This was well before other gang unions were made to reign dominance. They were known mostly for only recruiting Hispanics, but have made exceptions to permitting those with 'Hispanic lineage' to join their cause. By the early 70's their crimes gained notoriety and most members were incarcerated for significant crimes. Within the prison system the Mastiffs began to influence and control large groups of inmates, essentially becoming the most feared prison gang in the late 70's. Within the following years, inner turmoil began to weigh on the gang as other gangs became renown within the prison system. The gang had since shortened their name to simply, 'Regales'. Though considered La Centrada's first major street gang, the members consist of mostly those past 25 years of age, who primarily make gains from theft, extortion rackets, and low profile narcotics peddling. Under a new leader they were renown for organizing the illegal street fighting circuit, otherwise known as the 'Sand Box'.              The hierarchy of the Regales order remain within a group known as the 'Viceroys'. It is believed that only three mature men nicknamed the 'three amigos' operate the reformed gang. Woman closely involved, but not necessarily married to a soldier or Viceroys are called 'Vicereine' or 'Queens.' As the oldest and most influential gang in La Centrada, it is mutually respected among rival gangs. The 'Regales' are now thought to have less than 100 active participants, however it's maturing hardcore members are considered wise and revered in comparison to the average gangster of any gang within La Centrada. .

Roland Reinhardt: An illusive back door figure who is rarely seen by those outside of the Regales gang order. Roland's past is obscure, shrouded in mystery, and of gang-hood controversy. Other that what is known about him, he does not give off the impression of being tied to modern gangs. Appearing as a tall, slender middle aged man; he's often is seen casually dressed with long sleeve shirts to cover apparent tattoos. In few circles rumors abound that he was set up by original gang leaders to be a 'fall guy'. Having been incarcerated, he was unexpectedly taken in by the gangs original founding member, and understood to be the famed successor. He is seldom seen giving orders and is known for leaving others in charge. However his codes are said to be of the highest order and he is highly unpredictable. Out of sheer respect, other rival elder gang leaders prefer diplomacy when dealing with him. He is universally admired for his organization of the underground fighting network referred to as the 'sand box.' While most agree that the majority of the profitability are gained by the Regales, no one attempts to argue about who else gets a cut. A pact of sorts was established between the largest gangs, so that all levels within La Centrada's criminal element could participate and bet in the sand box tournament. The reputable Swiss mafia are widely understood to be invested, and they usually uphold what Roland had instituted without question. While the blood bathed tournaments are actually full contact bouts, they are considered necessary sportsmanship. A place where rivals gangs may settle disputes, and leave any unresolved problems within the ring. It in a sense gives the winner's gang, their own 'bragging rights', leaving no room for further retaliation. Unlike the gangsters of his day, Roland prefers lurking in shadows and is known by other names and aliases. The notable facets of attributing Roland to the criminal element, stems from his strong menacing characteristics. He's known for randomly coming out in an open crowd with little to no bodyguards. This fearless 'showing' is thought to send out a message to rivals leaders. His glance is regarded hair raising, which is something attributed only to the most feared criminals. A long cold stare from his aquamarine blue eyes is accepted to be synonymous with untimely death. However it has been observed that because of his maturity, he is more interested in business than that of the typical rival gang retaliation.          The Regales have gained a 'washed up reputation' in terms of streetwise campaigns. Yet their profiteering amidst a large network of criminology is considered impressive by local authorities, and coveted by the North Heights Clique. In contrast, Roland's tactics to stay out of police radar, operation of regular fighting tournament, and the entrepreneur of small gang; by far repudiates any claims of the Regales being any lesser criminal organization to law enforcement.

Swiss Connection: An illusive crime family of Swedish decent that has it's interests in various businesses.

Mathias Elstaccio: A former amateur wrestler, Mathias was long part of the Regales. When Roland had taken over as gang leader, one of them men he sought was a feared brawler with solid leadership characteristics to be at his side. Given Mathias's already established violent reputation, it made for an easy pick for Roland to make him Viceroy. Mathias maintains the nickname 'Lion' due to the ferocious fighting ability witnessed in combat. The few that are close to him refer to him as 'Matty'. Considered a sadist in any long term relationship, there is rarely a woman who enjoys his company. He holds little regard or empathy to anyone involved in red light activities, and enjoys the 'spotlight'. Mathias loyalty is to the gang's profound core values, while far less tolerant to the existence of other criminal organizations. He shields Roland and acts as his administrator of sorts, which often times causes confusion as to who leads actually the Regales. He is primarily in charge of the 'sand box' events, and will enthusiastically impose 'penalties' when requirements or payments are not met. Hence, to instill his notoriety among new gangsters, Mathias has been known to meet 'dirty' fighters head on in the ring, even if he is considerably hurt in the process. Any match Mathias has had to interrupt, ultimately ends in a gruesome injury, thus leaving a strong warning for spectators who dare question the inner strength of the remaining Regales. While now past middle age; Mathias has become less active, though still considered equally aggressive. While the 'sandbox' matches are full contact fighting events, it is regarded a blood sport. In ring injuries have resulted in rare fatalities, and it's a liability Mathias is entrusted to prevent. It is believed when a fighter loses his life even after a bout, the sheer mention of the illegal bout is denied.

'Cleffy' Clifford Keyatamee: A long time 'street soldier aliased as 'Jackal', Cleffy was the prime recruiter and maker of mature, or otherwise 'original gangsters' with the Regales. He is now one of the Viceroys due to being a long time street soldier; and considered 'wise man' in his gang circle. The 'Jackal' alias comes from his long banishment from his Native American district. His nickname Cleffy, came from a brawl related laceration from his younger years, that made him appear to have a 'cleft lip'. While having mostly healed from it, he grew conscientious of it and let a thick mustache grow over the scar. While hesitant for prestige and power, Cleffy initially steered away from becoming a Viceroy. Closest to Cleffy was the Jimenez brothers 'Wolf' and 'Mongoose', whose loyalty came under fire over an incident involving a family member during the early 80's.. While now considered otherwise the oldest member of the gang; being in his early 50's, Cleffy is more sluggish and observing than he is physically active. However it never kept him from his objectives. The modern day gangsters know of Cleffy, and consider him old and 'washed up.' While well aware of this view, Cleffy was instructed by Roland to withstand the subtle ridicule, so that an unnecessary 'turf war' is not incited. While Cleffy disagrees with the Roland's 'play along politics', he follows instruction to perfection. Advancement in age and illness has made him discern futility of his long invested energy within the gang . His protégé is Joaquin.

'Wolf' Jimenez: Elder brother to Nuño, and father to Lester. A man whose destiny was to be born into gang life, and thoroughly assisted the Regales maintain their fearsome status during the 70's. He attained the name from his reputation as being a loose cannon and renegade. He is considered the epitome of the contemporary 'Latin hoodlum'.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
7.3M 303K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
6.6M 179K 55
⭐️ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʀᴇᴀᴅ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ ꜰᴀɴꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴛᴘᴀᴅ ⭐️ ʜɪɢʜᴇꜱᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋɪɴɢꜱ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴀʀ: #1 ɪɴ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ (2017) #1 ɪɴ ᴋʏʟᴏ (2021) #1 IN KYLOREN (2015-2022) #13...
192M 4.6M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...