fire flower; leopold vermilli...

بواسطة jibblies

"I know you think nothing of me, I know you probably want to send me back to the boonies, so why?! Why do you... المزيد

Author's Note
COVER CREDS
Chapter 1: Encounter
Chapter 2: Mission
Chapter 3: The Dungeon
Chapter 4: Mayhem
Chapter 5: Injury
Chapter 6: Return
Chapter 7: The Black Market
Chapter 8: Vorla Cafe
Chapter 9: Thanks
Chapter 10: Tears
Chapter 11: Invitation
Chapter 12: The Crimson Ball
Chapter 13: Captive
Chapter 14: Burn
Chapter 15: Infirmary
Chapter 16: Apology
Chapter 17: Second Chance
Chapter 18: The Stars
Chapter 19: Departure
Chapter 20: Companion
Chapter 21: Face To Face
Chapter 22: Open Water
Chapter 23: The Maze
Chapter 24: Tournament
Chapter 25: Sunshine
Chapter 26: Candidate
Chapter 27: The Test
Chapter 28: Deception
Chapter 29: Ambush
Chapter 30: Secrets
Chapter 31: Plan
Chapter 32: Infiltration
Chapter 33: Attack
Chapter 34: Trial
Chapter 35: Imitation
Chapter 36: The Wolf
Chapter 37: Revolution
Chapter 38: Flight
Chapter 39: Glass
Chapter 40: Sea
Chapter 41: Chalice
Chapter 42: Breaking Point
Chapter 43: Unveiled
Chapter 44: Promise
Chapter 45: Nova
Chapter 47: Hope
Epilogue
Fire Flower Logs [#1]
Fire Flower Logs [#2]

Chapter 46: Fortress

546 21 1
بواسطة jibblies

The days tick by achingly slowly, and I take to marking them down with tally marks to keep my hopes up. Every encounter with Florence grows more and more painful, until I finally stop leaving my room altogether unless I need to attend a group meeting. Thankfully they're always debriefs, as the superiors are already aware that I will be leaving soon, so these last few weeks for me are mission-free.

I spend my days trying to unwind in my room and poring over Leo's letters. I miss him so much that my chest hurts just thinking about him. Sometimes I catch a glance of myself in the mirror; taller, more mature, with sharper features. We're both two years older than we once were, and I wonder how the years have treated him. But above all, I can't wait to see him again.

On a cold, snowing morning, three days before my departure, I finally leave my room to take care of something once and for all. He usually hangs around the frozen fountain, reading a book or drinking some tea, so I head there first. Sure enough, I spot him: Florence. My whole body trembles with anxiety at the sight of him, but I steel myself and walk forward. This is something you need to face, Mari.

He sits on the bench, serene and still, like a frozen statue himself. I bite my lip to keep my nerves under control as I near him and tap him on the shoulder. He turns around slowly, but his eyes widen when he sees me, and I look away when I catch a glimpse of pain in them. My face flushing, I mumble, "Look, we need to talk."

I round the bench and take a seat next to him, trying to keep my eyes forward so I won't have to look at his face. But I can feel his gaze on my every feature, my every movement, and it's almost too much to bear.

"Florence," I start, wanting to get the words out as quickly as possible. "I'm sorry about us. I'm sorry that things got so tense between us."

"Mari..." he trails off, hesitation rife in his tone. "I should be the one that's apologizing. I shouldn't have been so foolish and selfish."

"Florence... if I hadn't met Leo... I think we might've..."

"Mari, it's alright. You were always so... distant, in a way. Like you were waiting for someone else, thinking about someone else who was far, far away from this fortress."

I start to feel the tears pooling in my eyes at his words. "Florence... I want us to stay friends, at least?" I look up at him through wet, glistening eyes. There is a sadness in his face that I've never seen before, and it almost breaks me to look at him.

"I think I really did love you, Mari," he says after a long while. The tears start flowing faster. "I haven't felt that way in... in a long time." He turns to me and gives me a smile. "Thank you for making me feel that way. It was nice."

"Florence..." I start to sob. "You-You'll find someone. I just know it!"

"Thank you, Mari. Whoever has your heart is a lucky man."

I start crying harder, and suddenly I pull Florence into a hug. It feels nice, my face against the curve of his shoulder, his wind-blown, fresh scent surrounding me. We hold each other for a while, our respective feelings untangling themselves and sorting themselves out. When I pull away, my tears have dried and there is a faint smile on my face.

"I think I'll always be a bit in love with you, Mari," Florence admits.

"And I with you," I respond. Feelings never truly fade. I reach out a hand. "Friends?"

He takes it, his callouses firm against my own. "Friends."

***

The next two days pass by with ease. Florence and I start talking like we once did, and the tension between us completely fades. He and Aurelia tearfully help me pack up my things for my departure, and we spend my last night at the fortress at a small party. In the soft candlelight, surrounded by the warmth of friends, I give them one last smile.

Then, in the morning, at the crack of dawn, I leave my cabin behind. The captain of the brigade awaits me at the exit of the fortress, a train ticket in hand. He pats me on the back and waves me off as I make my way towards the station. "You should come back in a few years, see how we're doing!" He calls out after me. I laugh in response and tell him "maybe."

The wind still bites at my skin after all these years, but I've learned to bear the brunt of it. Dragging my suitcase behind me, satchel slung around my shoulder, I arrive at the station and eagerly await the train home.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

672 17 2
Since young, it has been Asteria's, nickname Asta, dream to become the Wizard King. Only problem is she has no magic to speak of, unlike her childhoo...
3.9K 172 30
War is coming, Queen Grinberryalls relations with The Wizard King and the other kingdoms is starting to fall apart at around the time when a delinque...
202K 6K 59
Introduced to a world where mana means power Ember Avest is forced to recognize the world she knew is no more. Helping Mereolena Vermillion return to...
50.4K 802 41
Asta is a kid who was born without magic in the world that magic is everything... He went through hard times and finally in the age of 15, the five...