The Dragon Liberator: Escapee

Von kass-ride

Book 1 In a world full of dragons, self-outcast Fendrel despairs that he may be the only human who cares abou... Mehr

Welcome!
-Dragon Descriptions-
-Pronunciation-
-1-
-2-
-3-
-4-
-5-
-6-
-7-
-8-
-9-
-10-
-11-
-12-
-13-
-14-
-15-
-16-
-17-
-18-
-19-
-20-
-21-
-22-
-23-
-24-
-25-
-26-
-27-
-28-
-30-
-31-
-32-
-33-
-Epilogue-

-29-

4 0 0
Von kass-ride

POV: Charles

Oliver abandoned the stick he had been playing with when the others returned, and with a new dragon.

Charles followed Oliver to greet the group. "You're back already?"

Fendrel dropped down from Venom's shoulders and gave Charles an indecipherable look.

"Who's the new straggler?" Charles gestured at the extra vapor dragon.

"This..." Fendrel moved to stand next to Charles "...is our missing dragon. And Cassius went back home."

Charles' shoulders dropped. "Really? I missed everything?"

"You definitely missed a lot." Fendrel nodded.

Thea raced over from Venom and grabbed Oliver's hand with an ecstatic grin. "Oliver, come meet Auntie Fog-y's sister."

Fog's eyes widened as she mouthed "Auntie?"

While Oliver gasped and introduced himself, Charles stepped forward. He gave Mist a respectful nod. "It's incredible to meet you, miss."

"And...you as well..." Mist drew her wings closer to her body and her ears gave the slightest flick.

"I like your hair." Oliver reached out for Mist's fur, drawing her attention down.

Fendrel cleared his throat and lowered his voice. "Have you ever seen her before?"

Charles shook his head. "Believe me, if I got the opportunity to see a dragon as rare as from the vapor tribe in one of the bases, I would have told you. I have no idea who she is."

"I know." Fendrel avoided meeting his gaze. "I'm just making sure."

"Do you think I'm lying?"

"No, no." Fendrel sighed. "It's just, Fog noticed Mist's scent on your gloves, and just now Mist gave you an odd look."

Charles removed one of his gloves. "These? Sadon gave me these."

"He did?"

"Yeah." Charles put it back on. "You know how he is about everything being up to date. My gloves had a hole, so he lent me these until he could buy a new pair."

Fendrel nodded. His face was full of relief. "Okay."

Venom flapped his wings to gain the others' attention. "I don't mean to be rude, but we should return to the Hazy Woods as quickly as possible. Just because we know Mist is safe does not mean His Majesty and the other nobles do."

Charles smiled at Fendrel, but as his friend joined Venom, his face faltered.

What am I going to do now?

***

POV: Fendrel

It was as if a giant, invisible shield had kept the rain from the Hazy Woods out of the Storm Hills. But as soon as the group flew past the forest's tree line, Fendrel was met with a light drizzle.

The tall silhouettes of the pillared cliffs stood out from the vapor as the group flew nearer to the Meeting Cliff with the hypethral palace as its crown.

Fendrel squinted at the trees below. Few dragons wound through the trees or clung to the rocky cliff sides. It looked haunted and empty.

His gaze returned to the Meeting Cliff when Venom landed on the platform that led to the palace.

Venom rushed under the shelter of the ruined building with the other dragons following suit.

The humans dismounted while Cloud's voice carried over from the other side of the palace, sitting behind the circular meeting table from the beginning of the mission. "Great stars..." The king glanced at the unfamiliar faces "What happened?"

Venom bowed, his wings sinking and his chest heaving. "Your majesty, we found Mist."

From behind Venom, Mist crept into view. She froze once Cloud's gaze landed on her.

"Mist." The dragon king's voice hitched. He stood and began to unfurl his wings.

The two ran for each other and embraced. Mist began to cry while Cloud clenched his jaw and kept his eyes on the ceiling.

Fendrel felt Fog's wing brush against him as she danced on her toes, her face full of giddiness.

Cloud cupped Mist's face with his front paws. "Where were you? Why did you go?"

Mist placed her own paws over his. "I just wanted some space before the ceremony...then I was chased away by hunters. They speared my wing so I couldn't fly."

The dragon king stretched out her wings, only to find no injury.

"I ran until they caught up to me, then they healed me and trapped me in an enchantment." Mist closed her wings.

"What were dragon hunters doing in the Hazy Woods? They never come here." Cloud looked over at Fog. "Have you ever seen hunters, even on the outskirts of the forest?"

Fog shook her head. "Only on the borders of the ice tribe's land."

Venom made a thoughtful noise, his eyes narrowing. "That's odd."

Fendrel's lips pressed into a thin line. "They must have planned this. Maybe they didn't intend on getting Mist, but just one vapor dragon to masquerade as the prince's fiancé...Why?"

"Hey." Venom nudged Fendrel's shoulder. "I see your mind spinning. You can go off on a chase for the hunters later. Relax for now."

Rolling his shoulders, Fendrel sighed. "Fine."

Cloud pointed at Fendrel. "What were you talking about?"

Fendrel wrung his hands. "We don't know why, but the dragon hunters kidnapped Mist and placed her under an enchantment so she would turn human, and her speech would be limited as well. I found her while she was under the spell and it seemed like she couldn't say a word about it or where she was really from."

"It's true." Mist looked behind herself at Fendrel.

Fendrel approached them. "The hunters are working with some of the royal guard, and they brought her to the palace to be married to their prince."

Cloud looked at Mist again. "You didn't—"

"No, the prince ran off before the ceremony could take place." Mist leaned against Cloud.

"The prince ran off?" Cloud's neck stretched out toward Fendrel.

"Yes, in search of me." Fendrel shook his head. "It's a long story, but I remember hearing him say he didn't want to get married."

"He was fun to have around." Charles chuckled.

"And who are you?" Cloud approached the group but gazed at Charles.

"I'm an old friend of Fendrel's." Charles grinned.

Birch, who was so silent Fendrel forgot he was there, bowed low. "I am a servant of Fragrance, also captured by dragon hunters, Your Majesty."

Cloud made a thoughtful humming noise. "It seems your search was much more eventful than mine."

Fendrel gave Venom a knowing look. "I think it was."

"Well, come join us." Cloud waved the group over with his wing and walked beside Mist, their tails entwined, to the meeting table. "The other nobles are resting in their rooms, so you can take their spots."

As Venom gestured for Fendrel to sit beside him, Cloud nodded at the dusk dragon. "Why don't you tell us what happened out there?"

Venom opened his mouth, then closed it. "I do not know where to start...Well, we searched every dragon hunter base we crossed just in case they had Mist. Obviously, we didn't find her there, and Fragrance had no idea where she was either."

Are we going to tell them about our...incident?

"Before I continue, may we document this?" Venom glanced at the tabletop, but it was empty. "Some interesting events occurred that we need to discuss in future meetings."

Cloud nodded. "Of course."

"I'll get it!" Fog leapt to her feet and raced out the entrance.

Charles cleared his throat. "I hope it's not an inconvenience that we're here." His hand landed on Oliver, who Thea had distracted with a vial full of colorful beads.

Cloud's pupils narrowed. "You also speak draekonik?"

"Oh, no. Sorry. Fendrel's friend gave me a spell so Fendrel wouldn't have to keep translating for everyone." Charles tilted his head at Thea.

Thea nodded. "I did the same for Oliver and I."

And the prince.

Fog flapped back into the palace with pieces of stripped bark held in one foreleg. She set them on the table before Cloud and returned to her seat.

"Now, what is it you requested we discuss?" Cloud poised a claw over one of the pieces of bark.

"There has been a decrease in the amount of dragons captured recently." Venom stared at Cloud's claw as the king scratched a few notes.

Cloud nodded. "That's a relief."

Charles made an indiscernible noise.

"Yes?" Cloud raised his head.

"I actually have a bad feeling about that. The hunters have never done this before." Charles glanced at Fendrel, then back to the dragon king. "He thinks it's strange, too."

"Well, we will go in more depth later." Cloud stuck his claw into the bark. "Venom?"

"The hunters are also abandoning some of their bases."

Cloud continued to write.

"Fragrance..." Venom cleared his throat. "We may need to choose a new floral noble."

The king arched his neck back. "What do you mean?"

"I- well he..." Venom kept looking at Cloud. "It's difficult to explain, but we definitely need to have a discussion with him about his position. I take issue with some of his beliefs, and they must be brought to light."

"Did something happen with him?" Cloud pushed the stripped bark aside.

Venom looked down at Fendrel. "Do you want to tell him?"

Charles stared at Fendrel and mouthed "What?"

The rest of the group shifted as if uncomfortable.

Cloud and Mist looked at Fendrel expectantly.

"I'd rather not say yet. If it's okay with you, I'd like to be there when you have the meeting with Fragrance, to explain what happened." Fendrel drummed his fingers on his bag.

With a troubled expression, Cloud sighed. "If you have something to share, I suppose you can join us. I don't know when we'll hold the meeting, however. We have been a bit...behind due to recent events. Venom, please continue."

"A rogue was speaking to us." Venom's eyes were fixated on a crack in the table.

"Is that a joke?" Mist's eyes flicked between Venom and Cloud.

Venom shook his head. "Write it down. And some of the royal guard is in collaboration with the dragon hunters, specifically the head of the royal guard."

Even if he's been separated from his power, we need to keep an eye on him.

"I believe that's all for now." Venom rolled his shoulders.

Fog reached for the stripped pieces of bark, then stopped short. "May I take these?"

Cloud nodded. "Yes, go ahead, Fog."

The smaller vapor dragon gathered the wood and hobbled outside.

"It's finally over." Cloud released a heavy sigh and hugged Mist closer to him with his wing. A contagious smile alit his face. "We're all safe again."

And I can get back to work soon.

Fendrel tried to hide his mischievous smile from Venom's disdainful frown.

Venom lowered his head and his voice. "You need to rest, young one."

"Ah, Liberator, I shall now complete my promise to you." Cloud stood.

"Promise?" Fendrel's brow furrowed.

"Do you not remember? I promised that once the mission was complete, I would reward you for putting your personal work aside to help us. I suppose I should reward those of you who volunteered along the way as well." Cloud smiled at the rest of the group Fendrel had traveled with.

I was hoping you'd forget...

"Reward?" Thea's head perked up.

"You really don't have to." Charles gave an awkward laugh.

Birch bowed again. "I barely did anything to help, Your Majesty."

Cloud shook his head. "I already told the Liberator I would not accept a refusal."

"Can me and Viper keep being friends?" Oliver took his attention away from the bead- filled vial.

"Who is Viper?" Cloud approached the child.

"She's a hatchling we found at one of the dragon hunters' bases." Thea had a slight frown as she leaned toward Oliver. "You can be friends, but I don't know if you'll get to see her very often."

"Aww." Oliver watched the beads flood from one end of the vial to the other. "Then, can I have a toy?"

Cloud chuckled. "That can be arranged, yes."

"Can I think about it?" Fendrel gave the dragon king a sheepish grin.

"You can stall, Liberator, but you aren't leaving the Hazy Woods without your reward." Cloud steeled his gaze.

Fendrel bowed his head. "Thank you."

"I'd like some time to think, as well." Charles copied Fendrel's bow.

"And you?" Cloud turned his attention to Birch, still crouched low in his own bow.

Birch stood up rigid. "I get something, Your Majesty?"

"You helped them bring Mist home, didn't you?" The king's eyes shone with amusement.

The floral dragon blinked in surprise. "I suppose I did. May I request some emeralds?"

"Those might take a day or two to arrive from the fire tribe. You are welcome to stay in one of the guest caves until then." Cloud gestured his wing at the palace's entrance. "They are nearer to the ground."

Birch fought back against a small smile.

"And now you, miss mage." Cloud smiled down at her. "Forgive me if I forgot to thank you earlier for healing my wing. What is it you would like?"

Thea pursed her lips. "Would it be okay...if I...Wait. Do dragons pay taxes?"

Cloud squinted at her. "I do not know what these 'taxes' are."

Charles elbowed Fendrel's ribs. He kept his voice low. "I can see why you prefer to live with dragons."

Fendrel shook his head subtly, a grin on his face.

The mage clapped with excitement. "Great! Can I set up my shop in the Hazy Woods? Or at least nearby? I have a feeling that dragons make nicer customers."

"I don't see why you wouldn't be able to." Cloud stood.

"Thank you, sir." Thea clasped her hands together tight.

"Of course. And thank you, all of you, so much." Cloud hugged Mist with his wing. "Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to notify the other nobles. You can stay as long as you like."

Mist bowed her head. "Thank you." She joined Cloud out of the palace.

Fog squished the four humans together in a hug and made a squeal of delight. She opened her wings and looked between Venom and Birch. "You come here, too!"

Venom smiled and crouched to fit under her wing.

"What is this, miss?" Birch crept forward.

"It's a hug." Fog waved him over again.

"Didn't your parents ever hug you?" Charles chuckled.

Birch followed Venom's lead of Fog's other side. "Is that normal?"

Charles' face fell. "Oh."

"Well, if this is your first hug, I'd better make a good impression." Fog squeezed the floral dragon against her side.

"Your knee is in my ribs." Fendrel gave Charles a side-glance.

Charles shrugged. "Oh well. You'll stay like that for as long as Fog wants to hug."

The vapor dragon let them all go. "Oh, sorry. I'm just so excited!" Loose feathers drifted from her wings as she flapped them.

"It probably won't be long before the ceremony takes place, maybe a few days for the nobles who didn't arrive to be notified and fly here. That is, if they even want to continue with the wedding." Venom straightened himself out.

"What do you mean?" Fog's wings sank.

Venom sighed. "Well, Mist may want a little while to calm down after what's happened to her. I wouldn't be surprised if—"

"Cloud is going to send new invitations to the other nobles for another try at the ceremony." Mist pranced in and nudged Fog's wing with her own.

"I stand corrected." Venom lowered his head to whisper to Fendrel.

Fog's feathers puffed out. Her eyes widened and she pumped her legs.

Venom nodded at the younger vapor dragon. "Go ahead and let out your steam. I'll take everyone to the ground-level guest caves."

Without another word, Fog shot out of the palace and dove over the cliff with a roar of glee. Mist, giggling, followed on her heels.

Fendrel climbed up Venom's shoulders when the dusk dragon crouched. Charles and Thea got up, then pulled Oliver with them.

It looks like I'll have some extra time to think about Cloud's offer.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

18 5 31
A story of a chosen group, that goes off and saves other worlds and realms, that seem to never end, the possibilities are endless. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
13 0 5
Morexa's ancestors were sent to the grave to keep the world safe. Now, Morexa the merchant must ask herself if she deserves to live in a world that h...
15.1K 1.9K 43
Book One Since The Fires of Alira one thousand five hundred years ago, dragons have lived separate from the other races in Midgar. They rarely make c...
10 1 13
2nd Book of the Octa-Kings Storyline/Saga. The King of Mage World has finally returned. But in his journey, the enemy has finds out that he have been...