Hunter: Gods & Monsters

By ellarose12

Vampires have Slayers. Werewolves have Trackers. Everything else has a Hunter. ____ A lot can happen... More

31st March 2014
Chapter 1
1st April 2014
Chapter 2
1st April 2014
Chapter 3
4 April 2014
Chapter 4
5 April 2014
Chapter 5
7th April 2014
Chapter 6
8th April 2014
Chapter 7
20th April 2014
Chapter 8
26th April 2014
Chapter 9
11th May 2014
13th May 2014
Chapter 11
13th May 2014
Chapter 12
16th May 2014
Chapter 13
17th May 2014
Chapter 14
31st May 2014
Chapter 15
2nd June 2014
Chapter 16
2nd June 2014
Chapter 17
3rd June 2014
Chapter 18
10th June 2014
Chapter 19
12th June 2014
Chapter 20
20th June 2014
Chapter 21
23rd June 2014
Chapter 22
30th June 2014
Chapter 23
2nd July 2014
Chapter 24
3rd July 2014
Chapter 25
3rd July 2014
Chapter 26
4th July 2014
Chapter 27
A Long, Long Time Ago. . .
Chapter 28
4th June 2012
Chapter 29
6th July 2014
Chapter 30
6th July 2014
Chapter 31
July 2014
Chapter 32
7th July 2014
Chapter 33
8th July 2014
Chapter 34
12th July 2014
Chapter 35
19th July 2014
Chapter 36
22nd July 2014
Chapter 37
23 July 2014
Chapter 38
9th August 2014
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
A long, long time ago...

Chapter 10

703 78 30
By ellarose12

I had never moved faster as what I did at the sound of Cains voice. Turning around, I was across the room and holding onto him within seconds. He seemed taller, thinner, yet his strength was felt as he nearly crushed me with equal enthusiasm. A feeling of relief came over me as his familiar presence surrounded me, wiping away the worry and stress that had been building lately. Yet a million questions still managed to run through my mind until I realised none of them mattered now. Except for one.

"You're actually here?" I whispered into his shoulder, his grip lessening slightly as I was scared to let go incase it proved to be an illusion.

"Yes." He answered softly.

His head rested against mine and neither of us moved for what felt like an eternity. Slowly I felt his body expand and soften with a sigh before he let me go. I took a hesitant step back, still unsure if this was reality. Sure enough, Cain remained; looking amused, if not a little hesitant. The shadow of a beard covered his jawline, and the start of a smile on his face seemed unnatural thanks to the stiff way he now stood. It was as if he was didn't quite want to be here or he was just as unbelieving about the whole situation as I was. Then again, he just looked tired so perhaps coming here had been exhausting.

"But, how, why, but you- how are you?" I blurted, catching a glimpse of Landorian watching us intensely.

"How am I?" He repeated, a flicker of anger coming through. "Do you really want to know?"

"Well yeah, of course. It's been a while and all I've heard is these terrible things about-"

Cain laughed; at least I think that's what it was before he closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose, giving his head a little shake. I hadn't seen him in so long and yet I knew what those things meant. He was losing patience with me, only this time I had not done anything that warranted it. We hadn't been fighting, training or something that meant I had pushed all his buttons and then some. Reaching out, I put my hand on his arm and felt him tense as he looked up to glare at me.

"Cain, what has been going on?" I ask softly.

Instead of answering, he pushed past me to stand in front of the fire. I follow, ignoring the tiny motion from Landorian to stop.

"You can't just pretend we're still friends, like nothing has changed." Cain finally snapped after a few minutes of silence.

"What?"

"I actually believe you are happy to see me." He said bitterly.

"I am. Why wouldn't I be happy to see you?" It doesn't make sense. "It's been like, forever. I've missed you. Give me a clue here, how could I have possibly pissed you off already?"

"You have to ask?"

"Well, yeah!" Landorian gives me nothing, picking idly at a tiny splinter on wooden frame of his chair as if the pair of us weren't even there. "Cain. Please!"

I'd never felt more confused in my life. I had not expected seeing him again would be like this. Memories of our time at the bar came to mind instantly, sitting in a comfortable silence, talking about anything and everything. Understanding. Trust. Taunting each other during training; a battle of wit than strength. A friendship that I thought would be unbreakable. Had too much time passed for things to be as they once had been?

The uncertainty and mistrust in his gaze hurt. "Portia has not seen you?"

"Not recently. She did mention that you'd, ah, banished her?" I answered cautiously.

"And those who have sought the God Killer, what of them?"

"What?"

"Don't act stupid Elise. I know my enemies have been here, that it is you they seek. I have Hermes tracking their movements between the worlds. I have my messengers."

"Then you should know that I send them back, well except for um, Enyo, but she was something else, and I've heard how things aren't great over there. Is it true, is there a war?"

"There is." He answers with equal caution. "You, killed Enyo?"

"It was either me or her and don't get me started on that other bitch that keeps popping up." I huff. "I deal with them. I do what I have to as I always have. You're making me nervous Cain, why did you get him to bring me here? This isn't a social visit, is it?"

"Enyo was a friend to someone very dear to me. You shouldn't have done that."

"Hopefully you're not referring to that Queen she kept rambling on about, the one she wanted my head to take back with her as a gift?" It came out harsher than I had intended.

I sensed we were on thin ice and I wasn't sure I wanted to break it though rather than react, Cain looked surprised. He instantly frowned, before seeming to dismiss it and whatever he had wanted to say or was feeling seemed to disappear. We'd never been like this. Even before I knew who he was, when he was the vampire who ran the bar near the academy I'd always found him to be someone I could talk to, and who would talk to me. The distance I was feeling between us now made me want to scream.

"Talk to me Cain. It's me for god's sake! I've seen no one for like a year. I'm constantly finding myself involved in some war I know nothing about with this expectation I am everyone's answer to ending it. I've been sacrificed, stabbed, and shown images from a possible Seer of-"

"Wait, what do you mean you've seen no one?" He interupts.

"After the attempt to bring Odin into my world, and closing that portal, they all left. Portia might pop up from time to time, and the Genie brought some random message from Apollo that he and Art were going into hiding." I take a breath, realising my story was news to him.

"Apollo and Artemis are not here?"

"Considering I don't know where here actually is, I'm going to guess you're talking about my world. They left to see you. To help you." My heart started to race. "They've been there, haven't they?"

"Why would he leave you alone?" Cain switched from alarmed to furious in a second. "Knowing what was happening?"

"He, you mean Apollo? We broke up, a while ago. After everything he needed some time so was going back with Artemis. I just thought he was giving me space, that everyone was, until I started getting visitors and he told me he wouldn't be coming here anymore as it wasn't safe." I moved closer, poking him in the chest as I felt my own anger rising. "Tell me what is going on, for someone with messengers and keeping tabs on who comes and goes, you seem as confused by this as I am."

"I thought you two, married. He said-" Cain paused, his anger still there yet his confusion was stronger. "It doesn't matter. After being ambushed in the village, we suspected another spy only then the pair of them disappeared. The evidence was there, they had been plotting against me. They are traitors. When they couldn't be found, Hermes said he sensed movement and said they had come back here. So I banished them to ensure they would never try to return. They know the punishment would be death."

I shook my head. "Banished? Just like that, just like you did to Portia? They're your family! You can't just go around banishing people because its a Tuesday and you feel like it!"

"I can because you forget that I am the King." He answered gravely.

"Some king you're turning out to be then. Sorry Zeus, I didn't realise it was you." I snapped back.

That hurt. I could tell, but before I could take it back he got in first.

"Of course you would defend them. I don't know why I expected otherwise. You are probably in on it all too." He smirked, looking deadly now. "Which is why I asked Dorian to bring you here. Away from them so they can't even try to stop me. Of course you would be stupid enough to follow a stranger."

Landorian seemed to disappear into the chair as he was brought into conversation.

"You're sounding paranoid Cain." I sigh, forcing myself to calm down. "I don't know what is going on with you and I'm sorry for saying that. You're not like your brother. But please, talk to me. Tell me what's going on, let me help you. I want to help you. I'm not your enemy and this, this isn't you."

"You think you know me? What could you possibly fucking know?"

I stood before him and put my hand on his chest. His heart was pounding hard and fast under my hand as he sucked in a breath and held it. Meeting his gaze, I knew I wasn't wrong. The person I knew was still there, despite what his actions and words may say now.

"I know you are a good person. You've had a life that is incomprehensible. You've been hurt and punished for reasons no one will ever know. The things that you've done, the bad things, are matched with good. You did so much for my world, and you are going to do great things in yours too. I know you seek peace, and quiet. A rest. The battle has been going on longer than just this war Cain. I know that this, all of this, is a mistake. It's not you. I know you can fix it, create the world you've dreamed of."

He took my hand in his, with his thumb running across my fingers as I felt a gentle squeeze. An alarm bell started to ring in the back of mind, a warning as I sensed a subtle shift in the air. A storm was coming and I was in its path.

"I wish I could believe that."

I wasn't giving up. "You saved my life, and-"

"That's what makes this so hard." Cain let my hand go, the darkness returning like a shadow over his face. We were centimeters apart but we may as well be worlds away. "And I can end this war. The way to finish it is to remove any hope that they could ever win. That anyone could ever defeat me."

"Cain, no, please just listen-" I reach for him again but he doesn't let me touch him. This time he catches my wrist midair, his grip crushing as he pulls me against him. I feel what's next before its even happened. "It doesn't have to be this way."

"Will you beg, say something to me we'll both regret, or go quietly?" He wasn't actually asking. "I am sorry Elise."

"No." I can't pull away and as I raise my other arm he takes that too. Fear that I've never felt before takes over. "Let me go!"

Something heavy was suddenly on my ankles, my balancing failing me as I glanced down and saw the golden cuffs there. Completely leaning against him in an attempt to stay upright as I adjusted my stance, I could not believe what was happening. The second I went to defend myself, the chains were there, tight and all around me as my hands were bound next.

"Do not do this." I warn.

"I don't think your in a position to be making demands." He taunted, as anytime I tried to use my powers, the flicker wouldn't evolve. "They're spelled. You're just a Hunter in these. Human. Powerless."

"I don't think you're in a position to be out of the fucking asylum!" This was not the man I had known. The more I struggled, the tighter the chain became so I was left to fall to the ground, I stopped moving, choosing to glare at him instead. "You are so off my Christmas card list."

I looked around for help, but there was nothing and no one as I realised even Landorian was gone. Bound and without a weapon or powers, I was stuck and as he appeared over me I met his gaze.

"Whatever kind of mid millenia crisis this is, can you do it somewhere away from me?" I huff, swallowing nervously as I see the golden blade in his hand. "Like, why not just buy a speedy red convertible like a normal guy."

"I'm not a normal guy." And then I see him holding something, which he reveals. A dagger, so alike Apollos, is now in his hand. I can't help but wonder what my chances are of this having some kind of spell on too so it won't be able to hurt me.

Considering the position I am in, I'm not sure if luck is on my side.

"Is that supposed to scare me?" I nod towards his hand and the blade is then grazing the skin of my neck. Honestly, I am scared, most about swallowing incase that's all the movement it needs to cut.

"If this doesn't scare you, do I?"

"No. Why would I be scared of a coward? Does it make you feel strong and worthy like those who came before you, to pick on the Others that have no way to defend themselves against your powers?" I dare to laugh, proud of how it doesn't set the flood of tears I'm somehow managing to hold back free. "I was so happy to see you. For all the stories I heard, I refused to believe it was as they said. I believed in you. I trusted you. I was on your fucking side."

"And now?" I felt the sting of a cut as his hand shook, his shoulders curved over and no matter how tightly he clenched his jaw, stray drops of water fell onto my face; his tears.

"I'm not going to fight you, and not even because you've taken that option from me. For all the times I've seen the light and even the Underworld, I know it won't be the end." I tilted my head back, pulling my skin tight to fully expose my neck and I close my eyes. "I look forward to haunting you in your fucking nightmares."

Nothing happens.

The pain of the blade digging in leaves.

The chains disappear.

The cuffs next.

I open one eye and then another. Slowly sitting up, he's just sitting there on the floor by my feet. Run. I need to get out of here. My hands tingle with magic that can now be released and this time as we look at each other, I only feel my heart breaking.

"Cain." It comes out as a whisper.

"I can't do it." He answers just as softly. "I had it all planned out. It was the most obvious thing to do. They all whisper your name, praying for you to come and end The Fallen Ones reign."

"How did it get so bad?"

"It started out ok. A few didn't like the shift and inclusions I gave to the Others. I brought them into the castle, started a parliament of sorts. We built schools and made new, fair laws. Then a few of my kind revolted. They didn't like it. More started to come from other lands, they saw me as weak. For months I didn't stop, there was always someone wanting something, trying to take the crown, thinking they could do it better or protesting the changes."

I shifted closer, sitting beside him and stayed silent.

"It was so fucking hard. So hard. And then, I met her and things started to get better again. Portia chose then of course to start meddling. Hades too. Then everyone was fighting with each other once more. They took sides, created allies and suddenly we were at war. The ones I thought I could trust turned out to be the worst of them all and it just doesn't stop"

"I'm sorry." I tell him after a few minutes. "Change is never easy."

"It's more than that Elise. You don't know them how I do, how the world works over there. You live in yours, and only for such a short time. You know nothing." He snapped. "And then I hear of the rumour, the girl from another world who slayed Zeus. Who controls, me. No one controls me. I have to remind them who they are dealing with. They do not listen to reason, or peaceful gestures. To them, it is weakness, and I will ensure they know I have none."

I braced myself for an attack, whether verbal or physical, I had no idea if I could leave this room, but I'd try to put as much distance between us as I could when I had the ability to. He sighed, pinched the bridge of his nose and continued.

"The God Killer would come when the people needed her too. A saviour. The only one who can do what needs to be done. She will come to kill The Fallen One. It's your fault."

"You can't blame me for any of this." I say firmly. "You created that name, that person. I only went there because of you. I fought with and for you."

"And now, here we are." Cain sighs.

Silence takes over.

"Did you really come here today, set on killing me?" I ask.

"Yes. Maybe." He shrugs. "Yes. I did. You're an urban legend. How would it appear if I am the one to destroy the God Killer? It made sense when we talked about it at the time."

"You're an asshole. After, everything. Everything that I have gone through and done for you and definitely all because of you, this. This is what it comes down to? Your ego needing a boost?" My head and heart hurts. "I thought- nevermind. I'm done. So done. Easiest solution, stick to your world, I'll stick to mine and with enough time, I am sure, you and all your people will forget I ever existed. I know I will be doing the same. Goodbye Cain."

Standing, I head for the door and then he is there blocking the way.

"Hunter, I-" He starts, his shoulders slumping in defeat.

"Move."

"No."

"Are you serious right now? You had your chance, next time I'm not going down without a fight. Is that what you want? Or maybe you can try banishing me like everyone else." His eyebrows rise at that and I shake my head. "Joking."

"You're bleeding." He says instead, motioning to the stinging part of my neck.

I had forgotten about that.

"I wonder how that happened?" I snap, yet reach up to touch it.

My hand never makes it that far as once again we're face to face and before I can respond, I feel his finger and that healing tingle trace along the spot. I move away, glaring at him.

"Let me heal you."

"Why, so you don't feel bad about it or so I can't tell anyone about you lame attempt at killing me to damage your rep?"

"I'm sorry." Cain admits.

"Remember that time you tricked me into becoming one of the three Fates?"

"Yeah?"

"Or even that time I got abducted by a fucking mermaid you had pissed off?"

"Yes." He huffed.

"Or when you cut me off from the expensive tequila after I threw up the night before on the cheap nasty stuff you told me was the best you had, which clearly was a massive lie, when I finished my second exam?"

"Get to the point."

"This is actually worse than all those things."

"I'm sorry." Cain he says again, the edges of his mouth daring to curve slightly in an almost smirk. "In my defense, I knew you had another exam the next day and didn't want you to fail due to being hungover. I also saved you from that mermaid and the Fate thing worked out in the end, didn't it?"

"Oh just great, considering how this little reunion has been going so far, technically as a consequence of all of that." He closed his eyes and for a second my resolve weakened. "I'm going. Pretend it never happened. Forget we ever knew each other."

"Hunter. Elise, please believe me when I say, I'm sorry." There's something in his voice that makes me cautious all over again, especially as he moves in closer.

"Yeah, so am I." I admit.

I let him heal me this time. His fingers lingered on my neck before moving up to tilt my chin upwards so I had to face him.

"I meant for this."

I hadn't smelt the bourbon on his breath, but it was the first thing I tasted as his lips were pressed against mine. It took me back to another time, late nights and old rock, inside jokes and dancing on the bar until I was carried home to be put to bed. My lips parted, a subtle gasp for air as I felt like I was drowning in the greatest way. Memories of the good times ran through my mind, moments I'd dismissed or forgotten returning.

Sideways glances.

Gentle touches.

A smile just for me.

Dancing hip to hip to a song he hated. The teasing prick of a fang against my neck. Relief at realising he hadn't been killed by that annoying Russian doll like demon. The hurt at being deceived. All those nights spent talking, thinking, training and dreaming. A gentle kiss on my forehead as he said goodbye only I was too tired to say, don't go.

Cain's hand was on the back of my neck, another settled firmly against my lower back. It was terrifying and new, and everything I hadn't known I wanted. My powers hummed with the rush of adrenaline, leaving me feeling detached and floating.

Lost.

Realisation about what was happening slammed into me like a truck, and I the room tilted slightly as I reached for the wall, breathless and confused. Across the space I'd made between us, he stood there just as uncertain as I did with reality sinking in. My lips burned and my heart was pounding so hard I was positive they'd hear it for miles.

"That was not apart of the plan." Cain started, bringing air back into the room.

"You, you shouldn't have done that." I'm not sure how I managed to speak after, well - that.

"It changes nothing. You are still a factor in all of this I need to remove." He mumbled under his breath before we just stare at each other. "You've always been the wild card I can't control and what you just did-"

"Ah, what?" Yeah, back to reality. "What I just did? That was you, all you. Do not turn even that back against me."

"It was not, all me." He shoots back so casually we may as well be discussing a missed kick in football. "And your attempt at changing my mind didn't work. You will remain here, where you can not disturb me any further."

"Excuse me?" Nevermind him killing me, I was going to kill him.

"Dorian will see you are looked after. If you leave, I will not hesitate to finish what I came here to do in the first place. For once in your life, Elise, do as you are fucking told." The warning was clear as a cold feeling washed over me.

"You know that's not going to happen." I snapped back.

"We'll see."

It was then Landorian peeked in through the door, his relief obvious as he spotted me.

"Change of plans, after all." Cain told him, not even looking my way as he turned to other man.

"Obviously. She lives." Landorian didn't hide how happy this seemed to make him.

"Yes, but she stays here." The smug look on Cain's face made me want to slap him. "I'm banishing her to this time. A plan b if you will."

His words sunk in as he pushed past and through the door.

"What?" I screamed after him.

"You have to disappear. Especially now. It seems that I can't bring myself to kill you, and I don't have any other options. Let them think you are dead." He shrugged, looking at me now with the same anger as before. "To me, you now are. No one will find you here, I chose this place for a reason and I'm serious Elise, next time our paths cross, you will not receive my mercy."

"Are you fucking kidding me right now?" My words echoed about an empty corridor as he was gone. "Cain! Cain!"

"He's gone." Landorian said softly from behind me.

"Bring him back. Now."

"I can't, and now we are both stuck here." He sighed. "Upside, you're alive. Be thankful for that mercy."

"It wasn't a mercy." But Landorian was right, Cain was gone. "Where is here exactly. The Valkyrie will tell the others I'm missing, they will look for me."

"We didn't cross realms. We're still in your world." He sighs. "We're just, not in your time. It makes tracking people down a hell of a lot harder unless you tell them where to look and that isn't possible. Essentially, you've just been erased."

_______

Da da daaaaa..... how are we feeling about, well, all of that?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

149K 7.1K 34
Highest ranking: #7 in Lucifer #4 in God #11 in Paranormal --- Cover made by me. --- Looking for a person to be my cover designer for my books. Pri...
381K 18.2K 63
[BOOK ONE OF THE VAMPIRE AND THE GHOST SERIES] She's dead, he's undead. An unusual duo make their way through the modern world, and its modern chall...
1M 44.8K 70
Vampires have slayers. Werewolves have trackers. Everything else has a hunter. --- Elise Bunting knows all about the things that go bum...
79.7K 2.5K 43
PJO Fanfiction - The Titan's Curse Atalanta Elora Anastacia does not have it easy. She is not your typical high school student. At school, she's your...