And Then He Fell

By bluriver

Drew Rangle, quarterback of his high school football team, is dating gorgeous cheerleader, Elle Martin. When... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12A
Chapter 12B
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Bonus Chapter: Elise and Adam's Date
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Author's Note
Chapter 31 - Drew
Chapter 32 - Emily
Chapter 33 - Ellie
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36 - Drew
Chapter 37 - Emily
Chapter 38 - Ellie
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue
Epilogue: Part 2
Epilogue: Part 3

Chapter 29

92K 3.1K 586
By bluriver

I know it's been awhile. So sorry. Hope you like it.

************************

DREW

I couldn't think. I sat on the green vinyl couch in the family waiting room, surrounded by the people who loved Emily most, but I was in my own world. I could do nothing but pray over and over again that Emily would make it out of this with as little damage as possible. I loved her more than I ever thought possible. What I wouldn't give to see her safe and sound. My eyes were fixed on the dark brown paisley patterned wallpaper with the tan background that covered the waiting room walls. I already hated paisley. Now, I would hardly be able to stand it.

"Drew!" I heard my mom say.

"Huh?" I asked, forcing myself to pay attention.

"Why don't we go home, and they can call us with an update?" she asked, putting her hand on my shoulder.

Was she crazy? I wouldn't leave this place for all the money in the world. My Emily needed me, and I was going to be here when she woke up.

I shrugged her hand off. "No way! I'm staying here until she wakes up," I said, bitterness in my voice.

She clicked her tongue, and tried again. "I just think maybe we could come back in the morning," she suggested.

"No!" I snapped. "I'm going to be here when she opens her eyes. You can go home. I'll be fine."

I ignored the look she shared with my dad. It was the one that asked, "What if she never wakes up?" I wasn't even recognizing that as a possibility. She would wake up, and she would remember being in love with me. If she didn't, my life would be ruined. I couldn't go back to life without her. I was in love with her.

"Okay. Have it your way, but I'm staying right here with you," she said, sitting down on the opposite end of the sofa. I heard my dad sigh loudly. They had just returned from a month long trip, and now they were stuck in a hospital.

No sooner had I convinced my mom that I had no intention of going anywhere when Mrs. Martin came storming into the waiting room, heading right toward me. Her blonde shoulder length hair was wild looking, and her face was contorted in anger. Her blue eyes seemed to pierce through my soul. I'd never seen her look so angry.

"Drew Rangle! How dare you!" she screamed.

I just looked at her, unable to form any sensible response to her outburst.

My mom stood up, as if ready to throw herself in between the 2 of us.

"You get my precious Ellie pregnant, then you fall in love with Emily?" she screamed.

"No, it's not like that. I'm not...." I began.

"Don't you lie to me! I know Ellie's pregnant!" she said so loudly, her nostrils flared.

"Listen here," my mom said, looking like she might strangle Mrs. Martin, "if my son says he's not the father of Ellie's baby, then he's not the father of Ellie's baby. Maybe you should teach your daughter how to keep her legs together!"

Whoa. I'd never heard my mom go crazy on someone like that.

"How dare you!" Mrs. Martin screamed.

"How dare you!" my mom screamed back.

Mr. Martin and my dad both came over to their wives.

"Ladies, we're in a hospital. I'm sure this can easily be explained. Just let my son speak," my dad said, interrupting the spat the women were having.

They did stop screaming, but now all eyes were on me.

"So, is it your baby that Ellie is carrying?" my dad asked, as 4 sets of eyes stared me down.

Before I could answer, another voice said, "No, it's mine."

Adam was standing in the waiting room doorway. He stood there with a slight blush on his cheeks, as if he were embarrassed by his confession. Now it was his turn to be in the hot seat.

"You?" Mrs. Martin said, looking at Adam as if she didn't believe him. "Why would she sleep with you?"

Adam shrugged. "I've told you enough. It's up to Ellie if she'd like to explain the rest. I just felt the need to take the heat off of Drew. After all, I'm sure he's in terrible shape. I've seen the way he looks at Emily. It's like he thinks she hung the moon. Six years with Ellie, and he was just your average jock. A month with Emily, and he's a different person. Open your eyes. He's not the bad guy. I just wanted you to know that I am. I'm the bad guy. "

"Adam, thank you. I don't know what to say," I said.

"You've already said it," he said. "Now, if you guys don't mind, I think I better go see Ellie."

"Not alone, you're not," Mrs. Martin said, grabbing his arm and pulling him with her in the direction of Ellie's room.

"It's not like he's going to get her any more pregnant," Mr. Martin said under his breath.

"Excuse me?" a curly-haired, brunette nurse asked from right outside the hallway.

"Yes?" Mr. Martin asked her.

"Ellie is in her room, demanding that we tell everyone in the room, espeically her mother, that Drew is NOT the baby's father," the nurse said.

"Okay, thank you. We'll take care of it," Mr. Martin said, then mumbled, "Now she tells us."

"I need Em to wake up," I mumbled without realizing it.

"I know, son. I know," my dad said, sitting down beside me, patting me on the shoulder.

Another nurse came to the door then.

"They are allowing 2 visitors at a time for Emily Martin, now, if there is anyone who would like to visit," she explained.

My head shot up, looking around. Emily's mom had left with Adam. That left my parents, Mr. Martin, and me. I looked pleadingly at Mr. Martin. He was looking back at me, his face upturned in a sad smile.

"Wow. You really do love her, don't you?" he asked, as he looked me over from a few feet away.

"More than anything," I replied.

"Come on. You can come with me until my wife and Adam get back from talking with Ellie," he said.

"Thank you so much, sir," I said, standing up and following him on unsteady legs. I worried at what I might see when I got to her bedside, but that was the only place I wanted to be.

ELLIE

Wow. My mom really doesn't listen. She finds out that I'm pregnant, then runs off to confront Drew about it. Drew! I went out with the guy for 6 years...count 'em.....6 years!....and we still never made it past oral....which he was drunk enough to let me try once. I doubt he even remembers it. I guess that's kind of good. I'm pretty sure I was terrible at it.

I tried yelling to my mom that she was wrong about Drew, but she just continued to storm back toward the waiting room. I stood up to follow her, and made it a few steps. Little did I realize, I was still attached to a few machines, and I threatened to take them with me if I went any further. At the exact moment that I'd noticed my dilemma, a young, petite nurse, with curly, brunette hair, had walked into my room, yelling for me to get back into my bed.

I listened to her, but asked her to please go tell my mother that Drew was not the father. She assured me that she would, and left as soon as she saw that I was back in bed.

A few minutes later, Adam appeared at the door, followed by my mom. My heart melted at the concerned look that crossed over his features. He did care!

"Mom," I said, "I need to talk to Adam....alone."

"How can he be the father of your baby?" my mom asked angrily.

"Mom, it's a really long story. I'll tell you later. Obviously, it's because we had sex. I really need to talk to Adam right now." I said.

My mom opened her mouth. as if to disagree with me. then suddenly closed it.

"I'll be right outside the door." she said.

When the door closed behind her, Adam and I both let out exasperated breaths.

"She hates me now," Adam said, walking over to my bedside.

He took my hand in his, the feel of his skin on mine causing goosebumps to appear. Despite my sadness, I was still excited by his touch on some level. Why couldn't I have noticed him when he adored me?

"I don't hate you," I said, staring into his beautiful green eyes.

He returned my gaze, stating, "That makes me feel a little better. I just heard we're expecting. I am so sorry this happened."

I continued to stare at this soft, caring man in front of me. My biggest mistake wasn't sleeping with him, it was ignoring him all those years he just wanted to go out with me. I had been so mean to him. Now, I would give anything to have the opportunity to be his girlfriend. That's what being a self-centered jerk gets me, I guess.

"It's okay. I learned a lot from all of this. I'll be learning for a long time, I guess," I said, patting my belly.

Adam put his hand on my belly. "We both will," he said.

"So, you're keeping it?" he asked.

I sighed. "I think. I mean, I don't know if I could do it, you know, kill my baby. I know they say it's just a cluster of cells at this point, but it feels like so much more," I said.

Adam's hand moved from my hand and caressed my cheek.

"Right now, Ellie, I really wish I was still infatuated with you," he said.

"Me too," I said, my hand traveling up to touch his.

"I can't promise you anything as far as a relationship. I've got a great girlfriend. I can promise to support you, even if you decide on an abortion. If you have the baby, I'll be with you every step of the way. If you don't, I will help you anyway I can."

I wanted to kiss him. I didn't dare, though. His wholesomeness is what made him so adorable. I couldn't bring myself to ruin that about him. All I could think was how lucky his girlfriend was.

"Thanks," was all I said as I took my hand off his.

"I'm so sorry," he said again, before removing his hand and kissing me on the cheek.

"It was my fault, too," I said.

We sat in silence for a few minutes, both of us staring at my flat stomach. I wondered how long it would be before I started to show.

************************
Please vote and/or comment. I know it's short. The next chapter should be longer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

207K 3.6K 26
Evelyn is just your average girl who's also shy. She prefers hanging out with her two best friends and reading to parties and large crowds. Mark...
1.3K 17 15
Lilly and Lee Anna are twin sisters, that just turned 21. Lee Anna just found her boyfriend in bed with another woman, so she decided to take a trip...
5.6M 147K 31
Mia Gibson and Hunter James were always meant to be. But dating the star quarterback that was destined to be in the NFL was not easy. Especially when...
348K 7.1K 33
Meet Mia Johnson. The twin sister of the head quarterback, Ryan Johnson. Some might think that being the twin of one of the most popular guys in scho...