I'll See You When I Fall Asle...

By Southern_Casual

On the eve of a person's 21st birthday, they have a Dream. In their Dream, they see their Soulmate. Cammie... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue
Acknowledgements & Author's Notes

Chapter 29

22K 958 412
By Southern_Casual

Cammie now found herself in the exact position that Virgo had been the night before. The girls stood outside of Virgo's apartment, Cammie filled with apprehension and wonder. What would the inside contain? What would Virgo's room look like? What would it reveal that wasn't already known?

"Bienvenue chez moi," Virgo said, stepping through the threshold. Cammie followed close behind, craning her neck in all different directions, absorbing the tastefully decorated apartment. Virgo had suggested they stop by her house to shower and change clothes, to which Cammie eagerly agreed, curious about Virgo's living space.

It was a modern apartment, with squared and colorless furniture, positioned in an exact, careful fashion. Simple, abstract art painted with soft blues and yellows decorated the walls. Light blue curtains were hung from the windows. Four chairs were huddled around a black table. The kitchen was spotless. Somehow, this didn't seem like a place that Virgo would live.

"My room is this way."

Cammie followed close behind Virgo, gazing at the closed door they walked past.

"You live with Shea and Levi, right?"

"Yes. They decorated the apartment."

"I can tell."

With her back turned Virgo smiled to herself. She pushed open the door to her room and invited Cammie in to glimpse another facet of herself.

Compared to her own room, Cammie noted that Virgo's room was sparsely decorated, the only major furniture being a bed without a frame, a heavily used dresser, and small desk, cluttered with sheets of music and tattered notebooks, pens and pencils sprawled across the surface. The sleek acoustic guitar that Cammie had become familiar with at Virgo's open mic nights rested on a stand against the wall next to a Casio electric piano. Virgo had books piled high next to her bed, the covers worn down and spines bent from the countless reads. On one small pile, even with the height of her be, she a lamp.

In the way of decorations, there were few. Virgo had pinned photographs to the wall above her bed and desk with thumbtacks. Upon closer inspection, Cammie recognized Virgo's family: she looked so much like her mother and all three of the Payet siblings had the same smile and smattering of freckles across their noses. A sudden desire to meet Virgo's family overcame Cammie. She imagined what they were all like. Would her brothers like Cammie? Would her mother? Would Virgo even want to introduce Cammie to them? Did they speak English?

"Voilà," Virgo said, spinning around to face Cammie, who was still devouring the photographs.

Cammie glanced up and noted the expectant look on Virgo's face. "This is what I expected your room to look like," Cammie said. "This is very 'you'. I love it, it's so cozy." Virgo offered her lopsided smile. The pictures, however, were still beckoning her and so she turned back, inspecting them closer. "These are your brothers, right?"

Virgo came closer, peeking over Cammie's shoulder and admiring the photos. Her heart was filled with longing and homesickness. "Yes." She pointed to the taller of the two. "That is Benoit." Then she pointed to the shorter of the two. "And that is Mathieu."

"You all look so much alike. And you look like your mom so much."

Virgo smiled, though she was faraway. Cammie studied the unfocused look in her eye and wondered what memory was replaying behind her eyes, jealous that she would never experience the memory of Virgo's past life, the life before her. Cammie wished she could climb into Virgo's head and watch the entirety of Virgo's life play out before her eyes. The urge to reach out and squeeze Virgo's hand encouragingly overcame Cammie, yet she fought the feeling, instead choosing to keep the space between them.

"Is that Shea?" Cammie asked, scanning the photos again. Virgo snapped out of her reverie and followed Cammie's finger to a photo of a much younger looking Shea and Virgo.

"Yes." Another smile from the past.

"You look young. When was this?"

Virgo tilted her head to the side in thought. "Maybe three years ago?"

"How long have you two known each other?"

"Four years. He studied abroad at my university in France and we met."

"Really? What a small world. And then you decided to come here?"

"Basically, yes. We became good friends and Shea told me to visit. And I did and I fell in love. So I applied for school here and now I live with him."

"That's amazing."

Virgo smiled. What she wanted to say was that it was amazing that she crossed the ocean and found Cammie. What she wanted to say was that perhaps it was fate that she met Shea, who brought her here, to Cammie. Instead, she settled on simply agreeing that it was, in fact, amazing.

"So," Cammie stretched out the O's as she thought. "Shea speaks French then?"

Virgo laughed and rolled her eyes. "No. I don't think he learned while he lived there. Maybe a few things, but he didn't apply himself or study."

"How long did he stay?"

"Just a semester."

"But he didn't learn anything?"

Virgo shook her head. "Everyone can speak English and they want to practice their English, so Shea never had to learn."

"Did he meet your family?"

Virgo nodded.

"And they speak English too?"

Another nod of confirmation. At least one question was answered.

"I don't understand how someone can live in another country and not learn the language," Cammie said.

Virgo shrugged. "I think people will learn if they want. If it's not a priority, then they won't."

"Will you start teaching me?" Cammie asked.

"Bien sûr."

"Is that a yes?" Cammie laughed.

"Oui. Of course I will teach you. Your first lesson: bonjour."

"I know that word."

"Say it then."

Cammie suddenly felt herself flush with embarrassment; she knew when she spoke the word, it wouldn't sound at all like when Virgo said it.

"Come on," Virgo encouraged.

Cammie muttered something akin to the word, albeit with a thick American accent.

"Good, you just need to practice the accent. You sound like an American."

"I am an American."

Virgo laughed. "Well stop."

Cammie rolled her eyes, but the smile on her face kept it from appearing too serious.

"Okay, to say 'my name is' you say: je m'appelle Cammie."

Cammie, to the best of her ability, repeated and imitated Virgo's inflection.

"Très bien!"

"Okay, okay! Go get ready now," Cammie said, unable to hide her bashful smile. Though it was only for fun, Cammie became extremely self-conscious when practicing French in front of Virgo.

Virgo began to pull clothes out of her closet and drawers and stacked them on one another as she walked to the bathroom attached to her room. "Make yourself at home. I'll be done quickly."

The door closed behind Virgo and Cammie now found herself alone in Virgo's room. After a quick glance around, she decided to lay on Virgo's bed and gaze up at the photos on her wall; Cammie felt like she was looking through a portal, opening a story that told her tales of Virgo's past life. Enjoyment flooded Cammie as she watched Virgo's face mature over the years. Her eyes were a constant in all of her photos: those warm, comforting things staring back at her in each different version of Virgo.

Cammie rested her head on Virgo's pillow and inspected the books piled beside her bed. As she scanned the titles, Cammie inhaled the scent of Virgo lingering all over the pillows. Cammie inhaled, breathing in Virgo's scent. The thought of lavender crossed her mind again and reminded her of Virgo's home.

Turning back to the pile of books, Cammie found that Virgo had an eclectic taste in books. The books' spines were scrawled with French words, completely indecipherable to Cammie's untrained eye, and bent from repeated use. Picking up the topmost book,  Cammie chose a random page in the middle of the book and scanned the first few lines; there wasn't a single word she recognized nor a single word she could pronounce. As if another page would be easier to read, Cammie found herself grabbing a different book and flipping through those pages as well. She paused when she found Virgo's handwriting cramped into the margins of the book. Like the book, the annotations were in French, and so Cammie was unable to decipher their meanings. Cammie wondered what Virgo wrote, why she had underlined this passage, what it meant to her.

The door to the bathroom swung open and steam poured out into the room. Virgo noticed Cammie glaring at her books, her face contorted with concentration. Hair still dripping from the shower, she crossed the room and laid down next to Cammie, who inhaled the strong scent of her shampoo.

"What are reading?" Virgo asked.

"I have no idea."

Virgo laughed and gently turned the book cover over.

"Ah, one of my favorites."

Cammie pushed the book into Virgo's hands.

"Read me something."

With deft hands, Virgo moved through the pages, searching for a favorite passage. Then she read:

"Il y a des jours, des mois, des années interminables où il ne se passe presque rein. Il y a des minutes et des seconds qui contiennent tout un monde."

When Virgo finished reading and looked at Cammie, she seemed lost in her own word, a small dent of thought visible between her eyebrows.

Virgo translated: "There are days, months, years without end where hardly anything happens. There are minutes and seconds that contain a whole world."

Cammie blinked. "That's beautiful . . . And so poetic."

"It is a beautiful sentiment; to think that you can go a whole life without feeling something, then it hits you all at once."

"I think I know how that feels." Cammie stared boldly at Virgo, wanting her to understand, wanting to conquer the shyness that plagued her whenever she thought of confessing something intimate to Virgo.

"That's how it feels with you." A warmth spread through Cammie's stomach. Virgo reached out a tender hand and brushed Cammie's cheek with her knuckles. "The first time you kissed me, it felt like I had lived a thousand lifetimes."

Hesitantly, yet overcome by an uncontrollable desire, Cammie leaned over and pressed a hesitant kiss against Virgo's lips. It was reciprocated immediately, and as Cammie felt the desire pour through Virgo, she decidedly leaned in, pushing all of the words she wanted to say and confess through the force of her lips.

Virgo sighed when Cammie pulled away. A flush tinted Cammie's cheeks and she shyly glanced away from Virgo, back toward the books.

"So, you like to read?" Cammie asked, cleaning her throat. "What's your favorite book?"

Taking a moment to recover, Virgo thought a moment. "Maybe, The Alchemist or Le Petit Prince."

Cammie shook her head. "I think I've heard of The Alchemist. I don't know the French book though."

"The Little Prince in English. I've only read it in French though."

"Oh, yeah I've heard of it too. It's a children's book, right?"

Virgo nodded. "Yes, but it has very deep meaning. I enjoy books that seem to be not so complex on the surface, but I can read them over and over again and gain new meaning from them every time. Children's books are often like that: the older I get the more I understand them." Virgo paused thoughtfully, then added: "I also very much like The Shadow of the Wind. It's a bigger novel."

"I haven't heard of that either."

"What about you? What are your favorite books?"

"Well I don't read much, but I do love Harry Potter."

Virgo shook her head.

"You've never read Harry Potter?" Cammie asked incredulously. After a moment, a wonderful thought crossed her mind. "Are you ready? I have an idea of what we can do today."

Cammie eased her car into the tight parking space, careful not to hit any of the other vehicles crammed into the small parking lot.

"So where are we going?" Virgo asked, hopping out of the car.

"You'll see."

***

Cammie lead Virgo down the cracked sidewalk on Spring Street, the bustle of the downtown Los Angeles area rushing by. Virgo easy kept pace, her eyes wandering around the buildings. As they walked, Cammie suddenly became hyper aware that their hands were swinging closer together with each step they took. On once occasion, their hands bumped. The two girls glanced at each other. Virgo offered a reassuring smile while Cammie pulled the offending hand up and pointed to their now visible destination: The Last Bookstore.

"Wow, it's huge!" Virgo exclaimed.

"I can't believe you've never been here. And you've lived here for how long?"

"I get it, I get it. Show me why this bookstore is so special."

The girls approached the grey, two story building. The title of the store was proudly written in strong, golden font on the glass of the windows. They passed through the front doors into a world filled with endless stories; everywhere they looked there were books stacked upon shelves.

"Wow," Virgo breathed, completely overwhelmed. Her head swiveled around as she tried to gain her bearings, looking every which way, paralyzed by the sheer volume of books. On a whim, Virgo approached the first table available to her, advertising books that would soon become major motion pictures. Virgo picked up a book at random, scanned the back, and set it down. She turned left to find a shelf proclaiming new releases. "Where do we start?"

"I have an idea," Cammie said, glancing down at Virgo's hand. The internal struggle began: should she grab Virgo's hand and lead the way? The thought intimidated her and sent her into a fit of silent panic. Instead, she beckoned Virgo with her hand and departed without latching onto her, shoving her hands into the pockets of her hoodie. "Follow me."

They walked past several shelves until they found themselves in the Children's section of The Last Bookstore, safely tucked in the back left corner of the store. Quickly scanning the shelves, Cammie located her prize and rushed over to shelf, pulling the first three Harry Potter volumes off the shelves. Each was worn with use—donated books, no doubt. Cammie was reminded of Virgo's collection: all bent from wear; these would fit in perfectly.

Cammie held up the first book and proudly declared that they would be starting Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

"Okay, but you have to read them to me," Virgo said.

Cammie thought about this condition momentarily. "Deal. But you have to read me The Little Prince."

"Fine, but I only have it in French."

"That's okay with me."

"You like it when I speak French," Virgo realized.

"Oh shut up," Cammie teased.

"So if I continue speaking to you in French, you will fall in love with me?"

Cammie rolled her eyes.

"Non?" Virgo prompted. "Veux-tu coucher avec moi ce soir?"

"Va te faire foutre."

Virgo exploded with laughter, her sudden outburst scaring a few kids examining the books. She doubled over, her convulsions crippling her. When she was finally able to regain her composure, she stood, tears in her eyes.

"Ah, je suis mort. Why do you only remember the bad things I teach you?"

Cammie winked and sauntered off, proud of herself for finally remembering some French. Virgo looked after her, falling deeper in love.

The girls wandered the maze of the bookstore together, strolling down every aisle, examining every shelf. The books began to pile in their arms as neither of them could resist the titles that called to them. Cammie couldn't remember a time when she had been more excited about reading. Virgo, for her part, was able to find many of the volumes on her To-Read list and even found a copy of The Shadow of the Wind for Cammie to read.

They walked up the stairs and found themselves in the Science Fiction section. Cammie disappeared in the maze of books. When Virgo began looking for her, Cammie appeared in the circular opening in the center of a wall crafted of books, a wide grin on her face.

"Wait," Virgo commanded, pulling out her phone. "Smile!" Virgo snapped a picture of her, smiling and encased in books.

"Let me take one of you," Cammie said, pulling out her phone.

Virgo put her elbow down in the opening and rested her chin on her fist, flashing a smirk.

"Wow, you're so cool," Cammie teased.

The girls continued through the store, up a ramp with a solid wall on one said and books curving around from the wall to the floor on the other, encasing them in a makeshift tube of book. Virgo looked up at the books as they walked through, speechless.

"This place is so cool."

"Just wait until you see The Labyrinth."

The girls stepped into a new room filled with books, but this time, they were organized not by genre, but by the color of their spines. An entire bookcase was filled with yellow books; another, with blue; yet another, with green. As many basic colors as there were, there were bookshelves.

"So, everything in this room is one dollar, but it's almost impossible to find anything you're looking for. You just kind of find something," Cammie explained.

So they wandered around the Labyrinth for a while until they were dizzy from the colors. They made their way back down to the first level and waited in line to pay for their haul.

"So, I was thinking," Cammie began. "Would you want to come over again tonight? I can cook us dinner and you could sleep over again." Cammie paused, unsure. "If you want."

"I would love to."

Cammie beamed. "Should we stop back at your place so you can pack some clothes?"

Virgo agreed and so the girls stopped at Virgo's apartment once again, her roommates still absent. On their drive over, the sky began to darken with the promise of rain. After, they grabbed a quick lunch then ran to the market to pick up ingredients for the planned dinner, trying to beat the rain.

"I must warn you," Cammie said, piling the items onto the check-out counter. "I'm not very good at cooking and I don't cook often, but this is my best dish."

"You really are trying to impress me," Virgo laughed. Cammie smiled, but declined to answer.

The girls returned to Cammie's apartment late into the afternoon, just as it began to rain. A huge grin spread over Cammie's face.

"It's raining!" she declared, turning excitedly to Virgo. The pure enthusiasm emanating from Cammie contagiously infected Virgo.

"You like the rain?"

"I love the rain! It never rains here. It's my favorite weather. We can get all cozy and wrap up in blankets and sweaters!"

Cammie excitedly put the groceries away and led Virgo to her room, where she pulled out sweatpants and fuzzy socks. The girls changed into more comfortable clothes, Cammie insisting that Virgo borrow a pair of her socks, as Virgo's were not up to Cammie's standards.

"How does coffee and reading sound?" Cammie asked once they were changed.

"Perfect."

"Okay, I'll make us some. We just have a pot though, so no professional barista stuff here."

Virgo laughed. "I'll drink whatever you give me."

Cammie measured out the ingredients and put the coffee on, waiting for it to brew. In the meantime, she sifted through her newly purchased books and pulled the first book of the Harry Potter series out. The beep of the coffee pot came a short time later. Cammie selected two mugs and carefully poured them both a cup. She brought the cups to the couch and placed them on the coffee table.

"Ready?" Cammie asked, holding up her book.

Virgo nodded, sipping her coffee and tucking her legs under her as she reclined into the soft couch. The hypnotic sound of the rain beat against the windows. Cammie pulled a blanket out for them and the tucked themselves under, huddling close.

"Show me how great this Harry Potter is," Virgo said, her coffee mug warming her hands.

"Prepare to be amazed."

The feathery sound of paper shuffling over itself filled the room while Cammie found the first page.

"Chapter one: The Boy Who Lived." Cammie read. "Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

Cammie read the first three chapters uninterrupted. Virgo closed her eyes, picturing everything as Cammie read, her voice enveloping Virgo in a fantastic world full of magic. When Cammie finally did stop, Virgo was reluctantly pulled back into reality.

"So what do you think?" Cammie asked eagerly.

"You're right, it's amazing so far. I love it."

"Just wait until they get to Hogwarts."

The evident excitement on Cammie's face made Virgo smile. "The anticipation is killing me. You might have to read more later tonight."

"Of course we can."

"Are you ready for me to read now?"

"Yes!"

Virgo cleared her throat, then began, immersing Cammie in a world of foreign words and sounds.

"Lorsque j'avais six ans j'ai vu, une fois, une magnifique image, dans un livre sur la Forêt Vierge qui s'appelait « Histoires Vécues ». Ça représentait un serpent boa qui avalait un fauve. Voilà la copie du dessin."

Virgo flipped the book around to show Cammie the drawing of a large, yellow snake constricting a grey mouse.

"Do you want me to translate?" Virgo asked.

Cammie shook her head. "No, I just want to listen."

Virgo smiled and continued, reading to Cammie in that bewitching language that completely enthralled her. Virgo's voice was so beautiful and musical when she spoke in French; Cammie was completely beguiled. Virgo finished the first chapter quickly, as it was not a long book.

"Okay, now let's read it again," Virgo said, flipping to the first page.

Cammie shot Virgo a puzzled glance.

"And you will read along with me."

"What? No, no way I can't. I don't know any French."

"No, that's true. You had no problem telling me to go fuck myself earlier," Virgo countered with a smirk.

Cammie dove into her hands.

"Come on, it's not hard. I will help you. Repeat the words after me." Virgo nudged Cammie with her elbow. Reluctantly, Cammie emerged from the safety of her hands and peered at the foreign words. "Okay, on commence. 'Lorsque, j'avais six ans j'ai vu. . ."

Fumbling over every word, Cammie read the first sentence. They repeated the words together until Virgo was satisfied.

"You are a natural, Cammie. It was great."

"You're just being nice."

"No, I'm serious. You have a great accent. I think you have a real potential to speak French."

Cammie tried in vain to hide her smile. "Thanks."

"Okay, look over the sentence again. This is what is says: 'Once when I was six I saw a magnificent picture in a book called True Stories from Nature about the primeval forest. It was a picture of a boa constrictor in the act of swallowing an animal. Here is a copy of the drawing."

"What a strange book," Cammie commented.

"Yes, it is a strange beginning. But I hope that you will understand it more as we read."

There was a twinkle in Virgo's eye that Cammie noticed. The way her eyes shown when she spoke of something she was passionate about, something she cared deeply for, like music or her family was becoming apparent to Cammie; Virgo had so much love and passion in her heart, Cammie was simultaneously envious and in awe. Virgo was inspiring and Cammie hoped to glean this passion from her to live her life in a way that made her proud.

Cammie's stomach suddenly rumbled and she glanced at the time. The girls hadn't realized how the hours melted away.

"Are you ready to eat?" Cammie asked.

"Yes, I think so."

Cammie ran into the bathroom and extracted the speaker she kept in there to listen to music while she showered and turned it on in the kitchen while she prepared the food, chopping up ingredients and heating the oven.

"Can I help you with anything?" Virgo asked.

"You can choose some music," Cammie suggested.

"Can I help you with cooking, I mean."

"No, I'm cooking for you."

Virgo obliged and added songs to their queue, taking a seat at the table while Cammie shuffled about in the kitchen. As she cooked, Cammie hummed to herself, almost seeming to be chopping with the beat of the song. Enthralled, Virgo watched Cammie move about the kitchen, preparing her dinner, humming, completely as ease. It was if all of the stresses and worries from the world had melted away and what was left in its wake was this version of Cammie that Virgo had attempted to uncover since the beginning, the true version of Cammie that she kept so carefully hidden.

With sudden clarity, Virgo realized Cammie reminded her of a chameleon, always blending in; but tonight, Cammie wasn't trying to be anyone but herself.

Cammie finished cooking and set the table, pouring them each a glass of wine.

"Bon appétit," Cammie said once they sat.

They clinked their wine glasses together and drank.

"Thank you for a wonderful day and for dinner."

Cammie reached across the table and squeezed Virgo's hand, smiling as she looked into her lover's eyes. She couldn't recall a time where she felt happier.

***

Hello everyone and thank you for reading! A big welcome and thank you to all of the new readers. :) Thank you so much for reading my story. And of course, thank you to everyone who has been with this story since the beginning. You guys make my heart so happy and encourage me to continue writing every day. :) If you liked this chapter, don't forget to comment and vote! See you next week!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 227 5
Five stories about finding love at the right and wrong times #FirstStory: "SO IN LOVE" - - A light-hearted story of crushes developed through mutual...
Soulmates By Venus Nex

General Fiction

2.8K 56 36
In a world where soulmates are something everyone has, Callie and Harper have circumstances that differ from the norm. Callie always knew her soulma...
432K 17.1K 49
Jesse would rather spend all her time in her dreamworld with her dream girlfriend, Sidney. Yet she has to wake up every day, realizing her life's ver...
1.3K 151 31
Soulmate AU. >Completed< ~~~~~~~~~ HUGE TW This story contains: Substance abuse, mentions of rape, self harm, bullying, physical violence, verbal ab...