Intertwined Fates -- An IPKKN...

By justagirl92

Based on the popular show Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon Season 1 Khushi and Arnav represent the worst part of ea... More

The First Meeting
Letting Go
Sixth Sense
The Investigation Begins
Lunch with the Creep
The Second Meeting
Mystery Girl
Revelation
A Montage of 13 Scenes From That Day Until Right Before Diwali
Party Pooper
Payal And Akash
Monday
Sinking Hearts
An Awkward Breakfast
It's about to hit the fan
Why is it always you?
Free Lunch
Serious About a Girl
A Verbal Exchange and a Half
Just Another Monday
Anya
The Toils of Akash
Manorama's Planning
Let the Games Begin
Another Kind of People
Buaji puts her foot down
The More the Merrier
The Wretched Pallavi
Murderous Thoughts
Saccharine smiles and vulnerable states
Manorama's Selection
Imminent Danger
Attraction Denial
Just a little less lonely
Iceberg Ego
Invisible Strings
A Slap on the Wrist
On the tenth day
Miracles
Dawning Realizations
As stubborn as a goat
What's in a name?
Games
I Can't
Her Realization
Bear #5
The Sangeet
Dancing Hearts
Overwhelmed
To Call or Not to Call
Super Important Question (not an update)
Last Letter
Preparations
The Ceremony
Communication Gap
Reception Tribulation
Death of a Private Investigator
Rock and Stone
The Witching Hour
Devyani makes her move
The Fallibility of Plans
A Murderous Non-Murder
What Arnav Couldn't Bear
It isn't over
RECAP
Changing Minds
Blindsided
Blindsided II
Blindsided III
Subhadra's Entry
Two
Crumble
Twenty Questions
A Fool's Folly Part I
Holi Heartbreak
Setting Plans into Motion
Project EKF
A Fool's Folly Part II
Lavanya
Explosions in the Night
Breakthrough
Sharing
Moving On
Moment
Surprise
Aftermath
Epilogue
Author's Note
Bonus Chapter 1:
Bonus Chapter 2:
Q & A

Unexpected Visitors

7.3K 482 67
By justagirl92

"I'm ready," Manorama crowed as she clunked down the stairs, Manohar following behind quietly as usual.

"Finally," Devyani said, shaking her head. She strode towards the door, family in tow, and flung it open only to step back in astonishment.

"SURPRISE!"

"Dadiji!" the young man said cheerfully as he placed his suitcase on the floor before pulling the Raizada matriarch in for a hug.

Before she could say a word, Manorama rushed forward. "NK, bitwa! It's been so long!"

Arnav grimaced. NK dropped by to visit at least once every six months. Fortunately, the last time, Arnav had been abroad and so he'd managed to avoid Akash's annoying cousin. But it looked like there'd be no escape this time.

"Nannav! How are you, bro?"

"Fine," Arnav answered stiffly, pointedly ignoring the fist that NK held out for him to bump.

Shrugging it off with his usual good humor, NK greeted Manohar, Akash and Anjali before spotting Aarav, peeking out from behind Anjali's legs. "And who's this?"

"This is Aarav," Anjali beamed.

"Nice to meet you, little buddy." NK held out a hand for the boy to shake.

"If you're done," Arnav interjected impatiently, "we have to go."

"Oh, that's cool. I'll just leave my stuff here; I have to go to the hospital anyway."

"Hello hi, bye bye," Manorama exclaimed in alarm. "What happened?"

NK laughed. "Surprise number two: I've transferred to Delhi!"

Arnav almost groaned out loud. NK was a doctor, educated and trained abroad, but decided to move to India for practice a year and a half ago. Up until now, he'd been in Agra. "So you're moving here."

"Yup," NK acquiesced cheerfully.

"Perfect," Arnav muttered. "Just perfect."

***

Madhumati hummed to herself as she walked down her bustling street, on her way back from a neighbor's, occasionally stopping to call out or answer a greeting. She watched curiously as a shiny black car pulled up alongside her. The window rolled down to reveal the driver, a pretty girl with round cheeks who said to her, "Excuse me?"

"Yes?"

"Do you know where this address is?" she asked and to Madhumati's surprise, she rattled off her address.

"That's my house. What do you need, betiya?"

"Oh, you must be Payal Ji's Buaji. I'm Anjali Raizada--"

Understanding dawned on Buaji. "Oh yes, Payalia's boss. She's talked about you. My house is right there," she said, indicating the house in front of them.

"Great!" Anjali beamed. "You all go ahead; I'll park and come." Then to Madhumati's astonishment, all the doors opened and people seemed to pour out of the car.

"Hai Nand Kishore," Buaji gasped.

A young man with glasses stepped towards her with a nervous smile. "Namaste, Buaji. I'm--"

A heavily overdressed woman stopped him. "We can do hello his later. All this dust is ruining my skin. And it's so hot." She waved her hands about in panic, while Madhumati stared at her in wonder.

An elderly lady shook her head at her. "Calm down, Manorama."

"Naniji, we should really get inside," a serious looking young man said, looking about with obvious distaste. "We're attracting a lot of attention here."

It was true. Madhumati's neighbors had stopped what they were doing to openly gawk at the clearly wealthy group.

"Yes, well, right this way." Buaji led them up the steps. By the time they had oriented themselves and gathered on the porch, Anjali had joined them.

As Buaji unlocked the door, she said, "Payal didn't tell me you were visiting. She's not home right now."

"Oh, we thought we'd surprise her," the elderly lady responded cheerfully. "When will she be back?"

"I'll call her. Please sit."

"Let me introduce ourselves first," she said. "I'm Devyani Raizada." "

"Namaste. I'm Madhumati Parmar."

"This is my son, Manohar and his wife Manorama. This is their son, Akash."

The young man with glasses smiled and held out a bouquet of flowers. "This is for you, Buaji."

She smiled back at him but was too overwhelmed to say anything. Devyani continued, "This is my other grandson, Arnav and my granddaughter, Anjali and this is her son, Aarav."

Both Aarav and Aanjali beamed at that introduction, but Madhumati didn't notice. She was too occupied by the way that Arnav was looking around her house. Not one to remain silent, she said, "Arnav babua, everything is alright, yes?"

He stiffened. "Yes."

"Then sit down. Nothing in my house will bite you." She waited for them to be seated. "I'll call Payal." Most of them seemed nice but she didn't care for that Arnav or that Manorama. The sooner they left the better.

But they heard the door being unlocked even as she reached for the phone. Akash sucked in an anxious breath. Payal was here.

***

Can you come down to the station for a debrief? Otherwise we can schedule a time for Monday.

Finally, Khushi thought as she read over Lavanya's text. Hurriedly, she finished wiping down the last of the furniture. "Buaji?" she called.

"What is it?" came the answer from the kitchen, where Buaji was finishing up with the dishes.

"I have to go down to the police station. It's about a case."

Buaji came bustling out of the kitchen, wringing her wet hands. "Hai Sankadevi, what work do you have on Saturday? And decent girls don't go to police stations."

"Buaji, it's for a very important case. I need to meet my friend Lavanya--remember I told you about her?"

"But what about Prisha?"

"It won't take that long; I'll be back in two or three hours, promise."

"Wait, Khushi," Payal called as she passed by, broom in hand. "Is that the 19th district station?"

"Yeah."

"Oh can I come with you? There's a cloth market nearby; I wanted to get some fabric for Preeti's wedding sari." Preeti was a girl who lived in their neighborhood, who'd asked Payal to design and make her outfit for her special day.

"Who's going to finish all these chores?" Buaji demanded.

"We'll do them before we go," Khushi said. "Come on Payal, hurry."

***

An hour later, Khushi sat in front of Lavanya listening intently as she described the raid she'd led the night before, which led to the recovery of Anya, one of the kidnapped girls.

"Obviously, there's a leak somewhere because by the time we got to the house, it was emptied out. We still did a sweep of the location and we found her in the basement. She was badly beaten--they probably assumed she was dead. I thought so too, at first, but there was a very faint pulse and we got her to the hospital.

"It was only this morning when she was out of danger that we ran her face through our missing persons database. Bruised as her face was, the algorithm still made a match. Anya's the youngest of them--at fourteen."

"How is she now?" Khushi asked.

"Still unconscious. But she'll survive. I have her under strict police surveillance; I won't take any risks with her. She could be the breakthrough we need for this case."

"I hope so. What about where you found her? Were there no other clues regarding the other girls there?"

"I'm trying to bring the owner of the house in for questioning." Lavanya pursed her lips in disdain. "But he's the son of a powerful politician and I have orders from higher up to leave him alone."

Khushi mirrored her expression. "Let's focus on the positives here. We at least have one girl, alive. And she was in Delhi, which means that the others could be here, too."

"Maybe."

"Rape test?"

"Positive." That was unfortunate but expected. "The doctors are checking her for any STDs as well; who knows what she had to go through while she was there."

"Monsters."

"I want you to be on your guard, too. These people are powerful and as the lawyer for this case, you could be targeted. Are you keeping up with your self-defense training?" At Khushi's sheepish look, Lavanya slipped a flier across to Khushi. "Here. Delhi police is running a program to teach girls about self-defense. Come to the classes and bring a friend."

"Okay. By the way, Sheetal's trial is going to be next week."

"Are you going to be prosecuting?"

"No; Deepali Kaur has a newbie that she wants to give some practice. It's pretty much an open-and-shut case; the evidence against her is staggering. Alright," Khushi got to her feet. "I'll head out. Take care."

Lavanya didn't bother with a reply, already opening a folder and busying herself with paperwork.

***

Payal's phone beeped with Khushi's text, All done.

I'm almost finished too; meet you at the market entrance in ten?

Okay.

Hurriedly paying for the cloth, Payal clutched the bag as she made her way to the front to a waiting Khushi. "Never mind a Rickshaw," Payal said cheerfully. "Let's get a taxi."

"A taxi? From here to Laxmi Nagar? Did you find a treasure chest in the market, Payal?"

"Yeah, you're right. There's one there." As the Rickshaw rumbled down the road, Payal laughed. "I can't believe how much more this job pays me. Look at this." She opened the bag so that Khushi could get a glimpse of the golden cloth she'd bought. "This is for the hem; I never could have afforded this before. I went a little crazy for a second."

"It's so pretty," Khushi commented before saying. "Of course, now that you work for the Raizadas, why would you sit in a Rickshaw like us poor people?"

"I am sitting in a Rickshaw, pagal. And you're one to talk. You're being courted by Mehta & Mehta and Deepali Kaur."

"I'd never work for Mehta & Mehta. I'd have to go around licking the shoes of the rich all day. As for Deepali Kaur, she's not courting me. She just has me on for a consultation."

"Oh come on, Khushi, you know as well as I do that this 'consultation' is just a chance to watch you in action. I bet she's going to offer you a job."

"You really think so?" she said hopefully. "That would be a dream come true."

Payal nodded. When she'd seen Khushi waiting for her, she'd noticed the worried look on her friend's face. Luckily, she'd managed to distract her and now Khushi was back to her usual happy self.

They continued chatting throughout the ride and as they got off the Rickshaw and walked up the steps. "I think you should take the self-defense class with me," Khushi said as Payal unlocked the door. "I used to take them in Mumbai--" she stopped short as she noticed all the people sitting in the living room, eyes on them.

She exchanged glances with Payal, who looked just as bewildered to see the Raizadas seated in the living room. Payal recovered first, bringing her hands together and saying Namaste, Khushi following suit.

"Khushi Didi," Aarav said cheerfully. "You're here, too."

Buaji's head whipped around and she narrowed her eyes at Khushi. "How does he know you?"

"Khushi's helped our family out in the past," Anjali said calmly. "How are you Khushi Ji?"

"I'm fine," she answered.

"And you, Payal Ji?"

"I'm fine too, Anjali Ma'am. You?"

"Payalia," Buaji said, her tone a little too sweet. "Come with me to the kitchen so we can prepare some refreshments for your guests. Titliya, you sit with them."

Both girls paled but obediently, Payal followed her aunt to the kitchen while Khushi sat down on the single seat across from Anjali. She regretted it a second later because that placed her to the right of Arnav, who was glaring daggers at her from his spot on the couch.

"Are you visiting Payal today, Khushi Ji?" Anjali asked.

"Actually, Anjali Ji, I live here as a paying guest."

"Hello hi, bye bye; you're that lawyer girl," Manorama said as recognition dawned on her. "I saw you on TV."

Khushi smiled uncomfortably. "That's me."

"And you live here?"

Khushi frowned. "What's wrong with here?"

"It's so small. Surely, you can afford better."

"Actually, Mrs. Raizada, this is more than I can afford. Buaji is very generous with me."

"But you were on TV," the woman insisted. "You have to have more money."

"Manorama," whispered a man sitting next to her, clearly embarrassed. "Stop."

"She doesn't get paid for her TV appearances," Arnav said, enjoying Khushi's discomfort. "She gets paid her lawyers' salary."

"But lawyers make a lot of money."

"Our lawyers make a lot of money," he responded. "Not third-class lawyers that run around on the street all day."

Khushi flushed and Devyani glared at her grandson. "That's enough, Chote."

"Khushi Didi is a superhero," Aarav declared. "I told all my friends about you."

"Really? Thank you. But I think you're the superhero."

"Me?"

"Yeah, because you're so smart and brave."

"Really?" He looked at Anjali as if to confirm. She nodded proudly.

"Khushi Didi, I made you a picture but I left it at home 'cuz I didn't know you'd be here."

"It's okay. You can give it to me next time you see me; I already know it's going to be beautiful."

"Hey, why don't you come over to our house one day? I can give it to you, then."

Khushi's smile faltered for a second as she remembered the last time she'd entered Raizada House. "Or maybe you can come to my office one day? I sit there sometimes when I'm not running around in the streets."

Akash chuckled at that but fell silent when Arnav sent him a look. Oblivious, Aarav said to Anjali, "Can I?"

"Sure, whenever Khushi Ji lets us. Why don't we exchange numbers?"

This surprised Khushi but she didn't refuse.

As Khushi handed Anjali's phone back to her, Payal and Buaji walked in, each holding a tray. Payal was a little put out at the grilling that Buaji had given her--how was she supposed to know that the Raizadas would show up out of the blue like this? And how was she supposed to know why? She'd seen all three of her bosses at some point yesterday; none of them had given any indication of it.

Plastering a smile on her face, she placed the cups down. She handed everyone their tea while Khushi distributed plates for snacks.

"These are delicious," Anjali commented as she bit into one of the jalebi.

"Khushi made them herself," said Payal proudly.

"Really Khushi Ji? Well done."

Khushi smiled. "Thank you." She noticed that Arnav Singh Raizada hadn't even touched one. Of course the sourpuss didn't like sweets. Whatever; his loss.

"How are things going with you, Payal betiya?" asked Devyani, intent on turning the conversation over to their topic of interest. "Work is going well? I hope my children aren't bothering you too much."

Khushi's phone rang. "Excuse me," she said, getting up and going to her room to attend the call.

"No, work is great. And my bosses are wonderful, too."

"Naniji, we've selected two of Payal's designs for the European fashion show in in two months. And I asked her to come up with one more."

Payal beamed. "I actually worked on a design for it this morning."

Before Anjali could respond, Buaji spoke up gruffly, "Girls nowadays are so obsessed with work. All day, these two run around doing this and that. In my day, we didn't worry about all that nonsense. We settled into our homes and took care of our families." Raising her voice, she called, "Titliya!"

Khushi popped her head out of her bedroom. "Yes, Buaji?"

"Turn off the phone and come back out here."

"Just one moment Buaji. It's for an important case." She shut the door again.

"You see how she's wasting herself away? Is she the only lawyer left in Delhi? Is there no one else left to do these things? And this one--" she turned the spotlight onto Payal, who was fervently praying that the earth would open up and swallow her whole. "She's always bent over a notebook, drawing pictures. I say, Payalia, get married and you can draw pictures in your own house. And what does she say? 'Not yet, Buaji.' Then when Payalia?"

Devyani laughed. "I see you're very concerned about her marriage. Are you looking for a match?"

Buaji perked up. "Oh yes. I'm taking both girls to see my friend, Prisha, this evening. She's a matchmaker; she'll find someone suitable for them."

Akash glanced helplessly at his grandmother, hoping she'd say something about him being a good match for Payal. But all she did was take yet another sip of tea.

"And what exactly are you looking for in a match?" Arnav said, condescension dripping from his tone. "I suppose the biggest requirement should be wealth."

"Chote," Anjali hissed in warning.

Buaji glared at him but it was Khushi who answered. She'd come out of her room just in time to hear Arnav's statement and fury overtook her when she saw Payal look down in embarrassment.

"Respect," she said. "The biggest requirement is respect."

"Oh really?"

"Yes," Payal said. She lifted her head and though her words were for Arnav, her gaze was firmly on Akash. "Because it's what I deserve. I've sacrificed a lot to make sure that I can walk through life with my head held high, and my future husband will recognize that. I won't ever ask him to choose between his family and me, but I won't stand for it if he sits by as they hurl arrows at me."

And this time, it was Akash who wanted the earth to open up and swallow him whole.

Author's Note:

Introducing the one and only NK! Shout out to @sindhuramakrishnan for guessing correctly.

This chapter is the first part of the visit to Payal's house. In the next chapter, we have the rest of the visit and since Arnav is getting cocky again, Khushi will just have to remind him who he's up against.

Buaji's comments are based heavily on things I've heard in real life, some of them said to me, some of them to other people *rolling my eyes.*

The orphanage story arc is also progressing, slowly but surely. In a few chapters though, it's going to really take off and I'm really looking forward to sharing that with you.

As always, I appreciate your votes and comments. Next chapter will be out on Sunday, December 1, iA--the first day of the last month of 2019. Wow--this year has gone by so unbelievably fast.

Until then, take care.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

197K 7.6K 17
Some promises are meant to be broken. But what compelled Arnav to abandon the one he once loved? Let's take another journey into our beloved ArShi wo...
521K 19.9K 31
Scene: Khushi's suicide attempt. 🌺 Ranked #1 in Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon. 🌷
590K 18.5K 34
An Arnav Khushi fic - An arranged marriage by their family but will they put past their difference and accept each other or will this marriage be the...
143K 5.2K 27
Khushi Kumari Gupta and Arnav Singh Raizada have nothing in common between them - except the mutual passion from the moment their eyes met. Unable to...