Hendrix ✓

By softsloth

‶Your little mate, what is she like?″ ‶She's wild, but all the best flowers are.″ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★... More

Hendrix
prologue
1 ★ Virginia moon
2 ★ Hang the DJ
3 ★ Money
4 ★ Useless
5 ★ How sweet it is
6 ★ The trees
7 ★ You're mine
8 ★ Despair
9 ★ Young mate
10 ★ Rain or shine
11 ★ Freckled girl
12 ★ Mercy
13 ★ Hour glass
14 ★ A little tenderness
15 ★ Ash
16 ★ Rookie maneuvers
17 ★ Wrapped around your finger
18 ★ First date
19 ★ Everything's magic
20 ★ Cave in
21 ★ The blues
22 ★ I've been cold
23 ★ Gonna groove tonight
24 ★ My baby
25 ★ Behind the wheel
27 ★ Little valentine
28 ★ Your atmosphere
29 ★ Pushed away
30 ★ Seem like enemies
31 ★ You're my home
32 ★ It's over
33 ★ Breaks my heart
34 ★ Empty
35 ★ Forever changed
36 ★ Fatherless
37 ★ Foresight
38 ★ A little of both
39 ★ Chain of love
40 ★ Keep you safe
41 ★ Disregard
42 ★ Comfort you
43 ★ A part of history
44 ★ Crawling
45 ★ Love's undone
46 ★ Cherry
47 ★ Lonesome loser
48 ★ You have my heart
49 ★ Miles away
50 ★ Picture of my past
51 ★ Show me love
52 ★ Smile for me
53 ★ Endless song
54 ★ New sensation
55 ★ Lift away
56 ★ Never disappear
57 ★ Flag me down
58 ★ Bell through the night
59 ★ Shrillest highs and lowest lows
60 ★ No longer alone
61 ★ Jumper cable lips
62 ★ Just like a dream
Epilogue
Book 3 ☽ Opal
Book 1.5 ❥ Tressandra

26 ★ I hear her playin the drums

167K 6.6K 1.4K
By softsloth

𝕋𝕨𝕠 𝔻𝕠𝕠𝕣𝕤 𝔻𝕠𝕨𝕟 - 𝕄𝕪𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕪 𝕁𝕖𝕥𝕤

"I hear her playin the drums late at night

The neighbors complain,

but that's the kind of girl I like"

Cedric POV

I don't belong here. That's what's running through my mind at the moment. Even Savannah said that this was ridiculous. She was right.

Pubs and I don't mix. I've stopped coming to places like these decades ago. It's just a place for people to drink and hook up, there's no pretenses. No expectations. It's not my scene. Anymore, that is.

My beta told me to have fun. She knew why I came here in the first place.

Hendrix invited me here. I couldn't exactly say no. Any way I can see her, I'll take it.

She's the only reason I'm still in the state in the first place. The rogue search isn't exactly going well, there's no sign of them anywhere. No trace of Ryk, or the Red Alpha. Truth be told, I don't think they're here. I never did. Part of me doubts they even came through here.

Savannah's the one who has been in constant contact with The Guard, informing them of our unsuccessful mission thus far.

I don't have the patience to talk to a council member of the Guard. They're too busy being on their high horse to actually care about the minor details, and it's not as if we have many big delimas to provide for them. Then there's the fact that they're terrified of me. Then again, who's not?

I'll tell you who's not. My baby.

Hendrix is perfect. It's not an opinion, it's a simple fact. If it weren't for her, I'd have left Virgina within a few days of finding nothing.

It's been almost two whole weeks since I found her black out drunk, and in that time I've watched her more carefully. Especially in class when she's around Dylan.

She may be naive, and gentle, but she's not dumb, grading her work is enough to assure me of that. She notices his sudden aloof tendencies. He won't sit next to her in class, in fact he tries to get as far away as possible. He's always shooting nervous eyes at me.

Hendrix, the sweetheart she is, tried to find out what was wrong. Thankfully, she's dropped it after a while, still suspicious.

Again, she's smart, I'm sure she put two and two together about that night. The little bug that is Dylan has turned into a skittish boy. I couldn't be more pleased.

Our usual tutoring sessions have gone splendidly. We've somehow found at least a bit of time to actually talk about the subject instead of locking lips. She turned in her paper on time with remarkable grace and eloquence. It was the best paper in the class. No bias involved.

Well, maybe a little bias. She did write it about my favorite book after all.

I tried to take her out in celebration, but she refused. Instead, she invited me to her band gig tonight. I don't exactly enjoy the idea of her being in a bar, surrounded by alcohol. Images of that night flood my mind and I smile, but also wince. Hendrix was adorable, and I didn't mind taking care of her. But the events leading up to it are still too raw. I can't have a repeat of that. I can't take it.

My patience used to be something of legends, it was what I was known for, that patience doesn't apply where Hendrix is involved.

Speaking of impatience, where is my mate? I growl low in my throat as I check my watch, the bartender backing away in the corner of my vision. Humans aren't accustomed to growling.

It's a sign for them to keep away. It's also quite useful, almost as much as my face.

There's still 10 minutes until Hendrix is up on the stage, sitting behind a drum set. She was very enthusiastic about me coming and watching her performance. I know she's talented, even though she won't admit it. She's too modest for her own good.

I sip at the amber whiskey, the ice clinking against the glass as the liquid sores down my throat. I've drank so much in my time that it doesn't burn at all. And my age and strength leave me completely resistant to alcohol. I can't get drunk, even if I tried, and yet I continue drink. I still enjoy it.

Something I don't enjoy is the scent that comes up behind me.

She thought she was being stealthy slinking around. I knew she was here the moment she walked through the front door.

"Miranda." I acknowledge her curtly, I hear a small gasp as I take another bored sip from my drink. "Why don't you take a seat."

The young lycan scoffs.

"I came here to tell you off. You do not get to ask me to sit down." She demands, standing beside me with a glare. I lean against the wooden counter top on my forearm, lifting a finger off my glass to point at her.

"Watch it." The two words are enough to make her falter. Miranda knows that I'm dominant, she can feel it in her very core. I can take her down here and now. I can influence her decisions with a command.

She shifts uncomfortably on her feet.

"It's obvious that you're ancient. Are you.. I mean you couldn't be..."

"Veiler?" I finish, and she sobers immediately. Maybe I shouldn't have told her. This always happens.

"The king." She whispers. I roll my eyes, and stare back down at my whiskey. I haven't been king in a very long time, she must know that. I helped create the Guard when I came to America years ago.

I found the Shipíte iláaxaxxe tribe in Montana, the Slate Penumbra pack. They became my pack. My family. It all started when a faerie killed the chief, Chief Chilaxtaléaxe, Savannah's Father, back when she went by her Crow name.

It was a battle I was involved in. I had a mind to help them defend their land from the intruders, and their Chief was murdered in the fight, like so many others. I couldn't abandon them after that.

They looked to Savannah to save them, crowning her as Chieftess, the only problem was that she didn't want it.

       She somehow convinced me to stay and become Alpha. It was something I didn't want either, as a white man from across the ocean, I didn't think that I was qualified to lead them.

        But their dead Chief trusted me, and his daughter fought tooth and nail against taking up leadership, and I couldn't exactly leave them without help.

      I didn't think it would last this long. I thought Savannah would want to become Alpha by now, but she's happy to stay as my Beta.

Before that, I had wanted to drop my title as King entirely, but it confirmed it for me. It gave me a hell of an excuse. As soon as the Guard was formed, I retired from ruling shifters and became the Alpha of my pack.

The pack that is still left unprotected while I secure my mate at my side. Not that a pack of Lycans needs protecting, but my leadership is helpful.

"Don't call me that." I grumble, staring at the clock and willing it to move a little faster.

She slides into a bar stool one seat down from me. The bartender asks if she wants a drink, she declines. I shake my head.

"What, got all the drinking out of your system at the party?" I wonder out loud, she doesn't appear amused by the question. Her face starts to turn red, and I can smell the fury that she barely keeps held at bay.

I eye her. Good, she better keep that shit locked up. If she even tries to argue, I'll punch her in the throat.

Try explaining that to Hendrix, I tell myself. Better not risk that conversation.

"That was a mistake, bringing her there."

"You mean leaving her there." I correct, shaking my head once, my jaw clenching in irritation. "Some friends you are, a defenseless human in the middle of a frat party. What could possibly go wrong?"

I can tell what I said bothers her. Miranda bites the corner of her lips anxiously, sorrow spilling off of her. I can't keep up with all of these emotions she has. I guess she doesn't want to hear the truth.

"I didn't know she would drink anything. She's very sensible, and smart."

"And naive." I add. I love Hendrix more than anything, but she's innocent. She doesn't think the worst of people. She doesn't know what others are capable of.

The lycan female sighs, nodding her head.

"Yes, she's very naive. You would think that with everything she's been through she wouldn't be." I don't press her for more. I don't want to hear anything about Hendrix's struggles unless they come from my mate herself.

"I want you to stay away from her." Miranda supplies, changing the subject drastically. Her walls have come up. She's more serious and closed off now.

"I know, and I don't blame you." I reply, to her shock. She can't believe I said that. I shrug my shoulders. "I'm new, powerful, intimidating. I'm not trying to brag, I just know how others view me. Why would you like me hanging out with your little human pet?"

Miranda presses her lips together, leaning forward.

"She is not a pet." She seethes through her teeth.

"I know that, but I'm just not convinced that you do. You sure do treat her like one." I say. I'm not surprised when she gets all defensive. I'm glad she doesn't have a mind to raise her voice at me. No unwanted attention is necessary.

I sit back and watch the frustration build and bubble out of her. Maybe we do get a few glances.

"You're a piece of scum. Not only do you toy with Hendrix, you disrespect your mate. You can't wait for her? Why can't you respect Hendrix's ignorance in all of this?" She presses a hand to her flustered face. "She has trust issues, I don't know if you noticed. Her biggest fear is her loved ones leaving her. Any sign of abandonment, and she shuts down. What is she gonna do when you drop her?"

The only sounds that fill the beer scented air are people laughing, and pool balls cracking off of one another. I let Miranda calm down after her rant, allowing her to get comfortable.

I try to let the insults roll off of me, it's hard to do.

"What you don't understand is that Hendrix and my mate are one in the same." I inform her, letting myself sound condescending even though what I just told her is basically a bomb being dropped.

She adamantly shakes her head in denial.

"That's not possible." Miranda demands. Her eyes are wide, her heart thundering loudly in her chest.

"Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself rather than me." I muse, actually enjoying the interaction a little bit. This is just helping the time pass until I can see my baby show off her skills. I can hardly wait to watch her face light up when she sees me. It's what I live for.

"But.. how? Shifters can't.."

"Have human mates, I know." I supply, and she keeps on yammering.

"And they can't have..."

"Pups."

The word comes out broken. I glare at the ice cubes in my whiskey, like they're to blame for my predicament.

"Hendrix has always wanted kids, well, she won't admit it, but I can see it." The information is like a stab to the heart. I would know. Not that it was silver that was the culprit, obviously I wouldn't be here if that were the case, but the Irish humans got creative way back when. I recall copper forks being a trend at some point. It would be easy enough to avoid them entirely, but I used to find amusement in their murder plots.

I wish I could give Hendrix children. It would be a miracle if such a thing were possible, but it's not. Who knows what could be in our future. Adoption isn't out of the question. The CPO, The Creature Protection Organization, adopts out supernatural children in need of a good home. The idea of seeing my mate care for a child warms my cold heart.

"Well, as you can see, it's kind of hard for me to stay away from Hendrix. I would appreciate it if you would stop trying to keep us apart." I explain, my dwindling patience running thin as the clock hits 9:00.

Before Miranda can open her mouth, a human male rushes out on stage and introduces the band as the Magenta Mushrooms. What an odd name. It's soon forgotten though.

When the bar goers cheer, the rest of the band comes out. My eyes are only focused on my baby as she slips behind the drum set and picks up a pair of wooden drum sticks.

The music starts, the lights go dim, and I fill with pride at the talented girl who's won my heart.

✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰

Hendrix can't breathe again. I'm aware of the way she reacts to me, and she won't hold back. I have her pinned to the brick wall behind the bar.

I kiss her neck, just below her ear, sucking the skin. She pants, trying to catch her breath. I can't stop myself from enjoying her. She's too sweet.

If only she knew that I'm a lycan. I could mark her, I could make her mine and then we could do anything we wanted. I wouldn't have to explain why we can't have sex.

It's tempting, too tempting.

I pull away for a moment, letting Hendrix rest. I won't take this too far, and I won't inadvertently hurt my mate either. She needs oxygen.

She licks her plush lips, eyeing me with hunger. She's half my size and she looks like she wants to pounce. It's adorable.

"Did I do good?" She asks, and I'm perplexed at that question. How can she not think she's a good kisser?

She smiles ruefully, giggling while her hands hold my face delicately. Her fingers are small and warm against my stubble covered cheeks.

"Drumming. I meant did I do a good job drumming." She clarifies, and it makes a lot more sense.

I haven't exactly seen a lot of rock drummers in my time, but I'm sure she's the best. The way she held the beat, making sure everyone else in the band was on track, on the right tempo. It was beautiful.

She was lit up with joy the whole time. Unabashed, gleeful joy. Like the way she makes me feel.

"No. You did amazing, like I knew you would." I lean down and capture her mouth once more, earning a moan from her throat. I slip my tongue past her lips, brushing her top row of teeth, and clashing with her own tongue.

I'm up and down, left and right. I can't stop my head from spinning with delight. This must be heaven.

Eventually we separate again, and Hendrix bites her lip.

"If that's the reward I get for showing you my drum skills, I should've invited you sooner." She teases, and I chuckle.

"Yeah, you should've. Why haven't you?" I ask, and she gets shy suddenly, shrugging. She knows why, she just doesn't want to talk about it.

"Stacey and Miranda want to come to every show, and they don't really like you." Hendrix looks anywhere but my face, her fingers anxiously gripping my shoulders. "Not that I've said anything bad about you, or that they even know anything about you, I don't really know why they don't like you. I've been a bit pissed at them lately though. They just left me in that frat house. Do you know how many embarrassing things I could've done?"

There are much worse things that could've happened to her, but I don't correct her. She blows out a frustrated breath.

"So, I thought why not? Why should I care what they think? You're my boyfriend, so they should just deal with it!" She exclaims, looking annoyed. I love when she gets that determined look. A little dimple appears in her left cheek.

It dawns on me that she called me her boyfriend for the second time. This time is different, because she's sober.

I'm smiling mischievously now.

"Boyfriend, huh?" I pretend to be surprised, always playing with her. She flushes, looking a little unsure. She plays with my leather jacket, one of many in my collection. I've already lent her two, and I'm not sure when I'm getting them back, or if I'm getting them back.

"Yeah, I sorta thought, you know, we've been seeing each other for some time, and gone out plenty of times." She shrugs, feigning nonchalance. "Why, do you not want to be my boyfriend?"

"I can't think of anyone else I want more in this whole damn world." I reply happily, and then I wince. I should not be cursing in front of a lady, let alone my mate. My mother would have my head for that, if she was still alive, bless her soul.

Hendrix grins brightly, and then sags in despair. I wonder what's wrong when I figure it out on my own. She doesn't want to go anywhere.

She's dreading leaving as much as I am. I know we have to stop this eventually and go home, but I don't want it to end.

"Can I... come home with you?" She asks, her voice small and unsure. My mind goes blank. She wants to come home with me. "Not to do anything, but I just know I'll sleep better in your arms."

I brush her swollen lips with my thumb.

"Then how can I argue?"

✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰ ★ ✰

     If you're reading this, you're a beautiful person:)

Sorry I'm late, again, but it's still Monday for me! I was at a work all day. I have to change my update schedule since my work schedule changed. I'm going to update every Friday, and occasional Tuesday, but this week I'm very busy.

Also, I own a calendar. I know when it's time to update.

If I can't update on the day I said I would, there will always be a note on my message board, so follow me for notifications on announcements!

Next update will be next Friday, the 6th! Bye bye y'all!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.2K 605 10
Witches. Most were eradicated during The Big Cleansing years ago. Those alive now hide amongst the monsters of the world: vampires, werewolves, and t...
40 0 14
Long ago, vampires And werewolf's had one common enemy... Lycans with their unruly temper nearly slaughtering both Species into nonexistence. Who w...
459K 14.1K 41
'Lycanthrope: early 17th century, from modern Latin lycanthropus, from Greek lukanthrōpos 'wolf man'. A man that is part human, part beast. A mytholo...
129K 4.8K 38
Book #1 of the Alpha tetralogy. Can be read as a STAND-ALONE. •-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-• Alpha Dellilio Rupen, the deadly Lycan wolf...