A World of Differences [1DFF]

By _soontobebritish

Originally posted on onedirectionfanfiction.com in 2011. Eighteen-year-old Charlotte McDermott is moving to L... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Epilogue

Chapter 6

67 1 0
By _soontobebritish

Charlotte's POV

I took a deep breath. I needed to remind myself to breathe. Standing outside of the hotel room door, my heart was pounding. I could hear it. My stomach was twisting and turning. I couldn't figure out why I was so freaked out. It wasn't like I was close friends with Liam. We didn't really know each other –maybe that was why I was nervous. It had a lot of potential to be awkward.

Taking another deep breath I brought my fist to the wooden door. Even though I had a room key, I figured it wasn't polite to just walk in. I held my breath waiting for Liam to answer. When the door finally creaked open I let out a deep breath and prepared myself for whatever may lie ahead.

Liam's face appeared in the doorframe. His cheeky smile welcomed me. He was dressed in a plaid shirt and cargo shorts. He looked adorable.

"Hey Charlotte," he greeted me. His voice was low and husky –sounded like he was tired.

"Hi Liam," I smiled shyly.

"Come on in," he held the door back for me stepping aside.

I stepped into their suite and was amazed at how big it was. You defiantly couldn't tell that five boys were staying there. The place was tidy and smelled nice –though I couldn't put my finger on what smell it was. The sun shined into the main room and white curtains fluttered side to side from the breeze of the air conditioner. The main room consisted of a mini kitchen, two sofas, and an eating area.

I walked to the sofa and placed my laptop case and purse down gingerly on the coffee table. Then, I turned to face Liam who had shut the door and was walking towards me. "How are you?" he asked.

"Fine," I replied as I sat down on the couch. "I'm really jet lag though."

He chuckled as he sat down next to me. He turned his body so his knees rested but an inch from mine. His face just inches away from my own. "It takes a while to get used to it."

I nodded as I stared back at him desperately trying to read his expression.

He ran a hand through his messy, curly hair and sighed.

Taking a deep breath he stated, "I just want to get this out of the way. I'm really sorry that I didn't tell you. I'm even sorrier that I led you to believe that we were some little band. I didn't know how to tell you... I mean how do you tell someone that you are part of a huge band –not that I'm saying we are but.... Well..."

He was clearly frustrated. "I'm just really sorry..." his voice cracked as he repeated his apology.

I didn't say anything. I couldn't think of anything to say. I mean honestly what do you say to that?

When I didn't respond, Liam placed his hand on my knee rubbing his thumb back and forth. My god, he knew how to treat girls so they would melt. I couldn't help but wonder how much he got around, but then I remember what the driver told me about his ex-girlfriend. He hadn't seemed like a player on the plane... I couldn't believe that he was one.

"Just tell me you don't hate me. You have every right in the world to be mad at me but please don't be hate me," his eyes pleaded his case.

I let out a sigh I had been holding in since I had walked into the room and relaxed back on the couch. He kept his hand on my knee.

"I can't be mad at you.... Maybe it's because I don't really know you very well but most likely it's because you keep staring at me with those puppy dog eyes and its incredibly hard to remain mad at you." My cheeks turned red as I realized what I had said, but I didn't regret saying it because it was true.

Liam giggled. "Well... I have been told I have killer eyes... mainly by my mum though."

I grinned, and then looked down at his hand which was still stroking my knee igniting my skin in flames. I was confused as to whether he was being genuinely kind or if it meant something more. I hate that about teenage guys.

He caught me glancing at his hand to which he responded to by slightly patting my knee and then moving his hand back into his own lap. He rested his other arm on the back of the couch and looked into my eyes. He was trying to read my mind – his stare was so sincere I thought I was going to break.

"What are you staring at?" I laughed.

"I'm trying to figure you out Charlotte. Normally, someone would flip out on me... You, you haven't even said a word."

"I guess I don't know what to say... I mean I'm pretty much speechless. I saw the girls outside the hotel. I saw all the tumblrs and twitters and everything. I hear you guys' number one on this international radio station.... And here I sat next to you for seven hours and not once was any of that mentioned. I don't hate you. I wouldn't even say I am mad. I guess I'm just confused. Confused as to why you didn't tell me... confused as how I am supposed to react to this... just.... Confused."

"You deserved to be told... I should have been honest with you. They always say not telling the whole truth is just as bad as telling a lie. But I mean I had no idea what to say... and the last thing I wanted to do was freak you out or sound all stuck up. I was so impressed when you told me what you wanted to be when you grow up. I was scared that I would come off as a stuck up member of a boy band –the kind of people you had said you didn't care for. Plus, after seven hours... well I kind of like you. Not like creepily..." his face turned red. "But you seemed so genuine and easy to talk to. You are confident and outgoing. At only eighteen... moving to an entirely new country."

"I admire you. I would have never had the courage to do that. I have four of my best friends behind me and I still get homesick. I didn't want to ruin everything with this –but now that I didn't tell you I'm worried it did. I don't know what I was thinking. I knew you'd find out eventually... I just didn't think it would be so soon. I had thought I could like serenade you on stage or something..." he chuckled. "I guess I was stuck in some fantasy that I knew wouldn't happen... I at least hoped we could be friends and have you get to know me.... And I get to know you before I sprang it on you. I hope you can at least understand that. I've been through so many fake friendships. I don't want a pity party. I just wanted well, someone who got to know me before they got to know Liam Payne."

This time I was the one who placed my hand on his knee.

"I get that," I said. He twitched at my tough before relaxing again. "You don't deserve to be judged on that. You are still a real person. I guess that is why I'm not ticked off... you didn't want to impress me with fame. You wanted me to know the real you, right?"

He nodded.

"Well guess what Liam; I'm still willing to get to know the true you." I paused before continuing, "However, I have only been here for half a day. I am not ready to be stalked by paps, threatened by angry girls, or on the cover of UK tabloids for simply getting to know the real you." I lightly tapped his knee making sure that I was being sarcastic but serious at the same time.

A grin took over his face, "Lucky for you I think I can make that work. How would you like to come back tomorrow night? Amalia is coming over. That is Niall's girlfriend."

"Oh I know," I laughed. "I ran into them in the hall... they were preoccupied though."

"Awkward...." Liam sang and I giggled. "Anyway, you could come over for dinner. We are going to order pizza and watch a movie. And during the night I promise that I will answer any questions you have."

"Any questions?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"Any questions," he stated with a smile.

"Ok, but only on one condition." I did my best impression of an evil grin.

"Oh? What might that be?" he grumbled sexily.

"Sing for me?" I commanded. It was meant to be a question but it didn't come out that way.

"I thought you heard our song in the cab this morning..." he directed his eyes across the room not looking at me.

"Oh, I did. It was catchy and I've been humming the tune all morning, but see I don't know who was who because I haven't heard each of you sing. Plus yesterday on the plane you made it sound like something you absolutely love to do. So what's the problem?"

"Erm, I don't know."

"Perfecto!" I giggled.

"Fine, fine," he gave in. "What do you want me to sing?"

"A cover... what's your favorite cover to sing?"

He cleared his through three different times before he started. "I thought I say a girl brought to life. She was warm, she came around, she was dignified. She showed me what it was to cry. You couldn't be that girl I adore. You don't seem to know or seem to care what your heart is for but I don't know her anymore. There's nothing left. I used to cry. My conversation has run dry. That's what's goin on. Nothings fine I'm torn."

My mouth dropped to the floor. Lots of singers these days only have okay voices. Most times, acoustic tracks or just plain vocals are raw and rough. Liam's wasn't.

"Oh. My. Goodness," was all I could manage.

Liam smiled. "That's my favorite one to sing. It's better with the other boys, but,"

I cut him off, "It was incredible!"

"Thanks," he laughed. "I'm glad you liked it."

"Liked it is the understatement of the century. Can all five of you sing that well? My goodness!"

Liam chuckled.

"Sorry, I don't mean to be creepy or infatuated but that was so so so good!"

He chuckled again. "Thanks Char." His nickname made my stomach churn. No one had ever called that before. Suddenly I come to London and everyone did. He did. Niall did. I'm pretty sure Zayn had. I liked it, but the way Liam said it was special.

"So I sang for you. Dinner tomorrow?" he insisted.

"The other boys won't mind?" I questioned.

"I don't care if they do or not. I want you to come so they will be fine with it."

"Great friend you are," I teased.

"Hey, hey, hey," he winked. "But seriously?"
"Lucky for you, you are the only people I know in the entire country. Eating with you all sounds a lot more appealing than eating alone in a dark corner of a restaurant. Count me in."

"Alright!" he exclaimed.

"Sorry to rush out but I have to go and check in at the university. It's time to register for my classes."

"Oh fun!" Liam's sarcasms made me choke. He handed me my purse and my laptop case and walked me to the door.

"Thanks for giving me a chance. I promise I will try not to be an idiot anymore."

"Didn't your mom ever tell you to never make promises you can't keep?" I winked at him and gave him an awkward hug. "I'll see you tomorrow Liam. Thanks for having me."

"Thanks for coming Charlotte. See you tomorrow." He hugged me back and I turned into his chest breathing in his scent.

We let our arms drop at the exact same time and then he opened the door for me. I walked to the elevator and turned to wave goodbye. He waved back with his adorable smile sprawled across his face.

I stepped into the elevator and sighed. I was falling for Liam. Not only was he a stranger but he was a famous stranger. What a great combination. I leaned back against the wall and shook my head. Once again, I had no idea what I was going to do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40K 1.2K 43
This is my story... I'm Kira and I'm 17 years old. I am just a girl from the US who moved to England in search for adventure, little did I know I wou...
4K 88 29
Stella a regular girl who turns 19, lives in USA but before she left for USA she lived in Doncaster her best friend Louis was one of the people she h...
51K 386 49
Gabby is a junior high school student in Atlanta. She had a vacation in London with her family which lead her to knowing Harry and his 1 direction f...
9.2K 179 72
Innocent 18 year old Charlie Valentine goes on a trip to New York to reconnect with family. The trip that triggers her journey with 19 year old assho...