The Way We Were (A Jeffrey De...

By Chupacabra94

Veronica or Ronnie, as someone very special once called her, wasn't expecting her life to turn out this way... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 31

973 36 19
By Chupacabra94

*Ronnie's POV*

Well, there's nothing left to say
Plus I'm low on battery and yeah I'm scared
The million miles you're away keeps feeling farther every day
And talking's getting rare

And I could keep trying but baby I might just be lying to myself
But I don't want to go nowhere and I sure don't want no one else

All I've ever wanted was to be the one you're coming home to
Instead of running scared and hiding,
look into your eyes and say what you never knew
That all I ever wanted was to be
Next to you

I quickly shut off the radio and kept cooking lunch for me and Charlie. We were having a quick lunch before meeting Jeffrey at the park right down the street from our house. It had been two weeks since Charlie had spent the night with him. She had spent three other nights with him as well since then.

"Charlie! Lunch is ready!" I called through the house as I pushed the pot off the stove. I grabbed a couple bowls and dished some spaghetti into it. Charlie came running through the living room and slid to a hault in front of me. I chuckled seeing that she was dressed in a dress and Jeffrey's cowboy hat.

"Hey squirt, sit down at the table and I'll get you some spaghetti. Do you want juice?" I asked. She nodded as she climbed up in one of the chairs at the table. I grabbed a juice box out of the fridge and took everything to the table. Just as I sat down a knock sounded at the door. I looked over at Charlie who instantly jumped down from her chair.

"I'll get it!" Charlie said as she took off towards the front door. I got up and followed her. We weren't expecting company. Jeffrey was supposed to meet us at the park so I knew it wasn't him. Charlie rounded the corner to the door and I lost sight of her as I heard the door come open. She squealed as I rounded the corner.

"Daddy!" by the time I saw her she was already in Jeffrey's arms hugging him tightly. I leaned against the wall as I watched the two of them. She was already such a daddy's girl. Charlie pulled back and climbed down out of Jeffrey's arms. He smiled at me as he readjusted the ball cap on his head.

"Hey," he said softly as Charlie ran back through the house. He stepped into the house and shut the door behind him. "Hey yourself, I thought we were supposed to meet you at the park?" I said as I started my way back towards the kitchen with Jeffrey hot on my heels. His hand came up on my shoulder and stopped me in my tracks.

I looked him in the eyes. I took notice that he was wearing his glasses again. "I'm sorry for popping in and being early. I was running some errands and got finished early so I figured I would just head on over," he said while rubbing my shoulder lightly. I shrugged him off and walked into the dining room.

"It's fine, just wasn't expecting you. We're eating some lunch. Would you like some spaghetti?" I asked him as I grabbed another bowl from the cabinet. He nodded and shrugged off his jean jacket that he was wearing before taking a seat across from Charlie. Which just so happened to be the seat right next to me.

I couldn't change seats, that would be rude. I grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge and set it all down in front of Jeffrey. He muttered a thanks as I walked around him to sit in the chair beside him. Charlie smiled as she continued to slurp her spaghetti out of the bowl. I handed her a napkin noticing some sauce on her chin.

Lunch was quiet as we ate. It wasn't awkward, but it wasn't comfortable either. "Done!" Charlie exclaimed as her fork clammered into her now empty bowl. I went to stand up but Jeffrey beat me to it. "I got it, keep eating," he said as he grabbed his bowl and Charlie's before heading to the kitchen.

I watched as he rolled up his long sleeves before turning on the water and started washing the dishes. "You don't have to do that," I said as I stood up and made my way into the kitchen to join him. "Charlie, go get your shoes and jacket on," I said knowing that we were headed to the park after I got done cleaning up.

Jeffrey held his hand out for my bowl as I entered the kitchen. I handed it to him and leaned against the counter. "I told you that you didn't have to do that," I said while crossing my arms in front of my chest. He smiled at me as he finished up the last of the dishes and dried his hand on a towel.

"It's fine, you fed me lunch. It's the least I could do," he said as he tossed the towel on the counter and turned to me. He leaned his hip against the counter beside me. We were barely two feet apart. "Well thank you," I said quietly. Jeffrey leaned forward and his hand reached out slowly. I didn't know what he was doing but he seemed nervous.

His hand slowly reached out and grasped my hip lightly. My heartbeat sped up and I swore that Jeffrey could hear it in the quiet kitchen. With a slight tug he pulled me a little closer. I could feel his breath fanning my face. "Ronnie," Jeffrey whispered softly. I cleared my throat and took a step back.

"We should really go get Charlie," I said. I turned before he had a chance to answer and headed towards the living room. "Charlie! Are you ready to go to the park?" I asked as I entered the living room. Charlie was sitting on the couch in the living room waiting patiently for us to come get her.

She smiled and jumped off the couch as I put my shoes on. I grabbed my jacket just as Jeffrey walked into the living room. There was a strong look of confusion on his face, but the smile that I gave him made him slap one on his face as well before holding his arms out for Charlie. "Let's go, squirt," he said.

Charlie jumped in his arms and I opened the door. Jeffrey went out the door and down the porch steps. I locked the door and joined them on the sidewalk. The walk to the park was short and silent. Charlie babbled on ocassion about something she saw in the sky or in the grass, but Jeffrey and I remained silent.

As soon as the park came in to view, Jeffrey let Charlie down and she took off running for the playground with squeals of laughter. Jeffrey chuckled and tucked his hands in his pockets. I pulled my jacket around me a little tighter seeing as the wind was a little cool today. "Wanna sit?" Jeffrey asked gesturing to the bench that was right in front of the playground where we both had eyes on Charlie.

I nodded and took a seat. Jeffrey sat right beside me not leaving much space between us. I tucked my hands in my jacket pockets. We both watched as Charlie ran and played on the playground. She was probably in some fantasy world right about now. I leaned back into the bench.

"You know, we still haven't gotten together for dinner," Jeffrey said softly as he pulled a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket. He placed one between his lips before grabbing a lighter out of his pocket and lighting his cigarette. He inhaled deeply before sitting back on the bench and exhaling the smoke.

"I know, it's been a little busy," I told him. That was a lie, but it came out of my mouth so easily. "I picked up some extra hours and Brittany hasn't been available to watch Charlie," I said. Jeffrey took another puff of his cigarette and blew out a huge cloud of smoke. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

I knew by the look on his face that he knew I wasn't telling the truth. "Wanna rethink that answer?" Jeffrey asked me rhetorically. I clamped my hands together in my lap nervously. "You're right, I mean yes, I have been picking up extra hours, but not enough to where we can't have dinner," I said.

Jeffrey stamped out his cigarette with the toe of his boot. "Right, I know. Charlie tells me things when I get to see her. She knows more than what you think she does," he said as he adjusted his ball cap again. I smiled slightly. "You got that right," I said as I started watching Charlie again.

"So when are you free?" he asked me. Something told me he wasn't going to let this go. "Mm, Thursday?" I asked him. He smiled before standing up and turning to me. "You're right, you are. I've already talked to Brittany and she'll watch Charlie on Thursday for us. I'll see you at five-thirty, just in time for dinner," he said before walking off towards Charlie.

I chuckled slightly and rolled my eyes. Sneaky bastard. He knew exactly what he was doing. He was testing me to see if I would lie to him again. I watched as Jeffrey took Charlie over to the swings and started pushing her high. Her giggle pierced the air and then I heard Jeffrey's laughter right behind hers. I looked at him intently. I knew he wasn't paying attention but I was staring right at him. I wondered why he wanted to have dinner alone and what he wanted to talk about. What if he wanted custody of Charlie?

--

Predictions?

Comment, vote, fan, follow, add to reading list and spread the word!

Reedus kisses for everyone! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.5K 2.4K 33
Your Ricks Grimes daughter, two of your friends have just been killed by Negan. You feel hopeless and scared. Negan makes you go into the R.V with hi...
70 7 7
Something tragic happened and she ran. She ran until she couldn't breathe anymore, until her lungs were on fire and her legs gave out. A man took her...
76.8K 1.9K 17
Daryl and reader had something while they both stayed at the Sanctuary after the Saviours were defeated, a secret sort of relationship, that reader w...
6.7K 69 82
"Don't say that," I replied, my lip shaking. He quickly looked at me when he realized how pitiful I sounded. "There's a reason we found each other. M...